2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

First time Miura shopper: CB 1008 or combo

bvanlieu

Let me start by saying I am not a blade or die kind of fellow (not that there is anything wrong with that). Played them in the 80's. I still can hit them, but I game players CB now so I have been comparing various used Miura CB's out there.

I finally got to hit a few today at a second hand shop, however they didn't have the full range I wanted to try, particularly the CB 1008. I hit a 2008, a CB57, and 501 just to get a few different feels and shapes.

My initial impression was with the CB 2008: I think TM copied them. Sitting my P770 next to the 2008, they looked almost identical from the top. Stupid close in fact. Feels were very solid on the Miura: like nothing I have experienced before. The P770's IMHO are a very good feeling forged CB: I'd say a softer feel in fact but not that solid pop the Miura gave. Both good, just different.

For those who game, or have compared them: is the 1008 a bit smaller and thinner up top then the 2008? I don't expect it to look CB57 or 501'ish, but curious as I can't get any photos of them side by side from the top to eyeball, and there is no 1008 near me to take a peak at.

I see a few used sets here and there, and some combo 1008/501 sets as well.

My goal is to use as a second set, appreciate gaming them once in a while, but not be a beater set. They are works of art but deserve to be used not encased in glass.

I appreciate any thoughts,

b

Miuras seem pretty easy to combo. I also think most of thier recent clubs are easier to hit than you would think. I think you could combo CB-1008 and MC-501, or Cb-2008 and the CB-1008. The one caveat is that the MC-501s are surprisingly easy to hit....I am not sure how much more the 1008 will give you in the longer irons. I have a few sets of these I plan to build and test over the next month, will let you know what I find as I hunt for the same answers. The one caveat to the list is the CB-57. I love these, but they seem tougher to hit than even the MC-501s I have.

Thanks BK. I do have a smidge of swing time with the CB57's just to test and while lovely to look at felt a bit harder to middle for my still working on it swing.

I dragged my wife to the store, and she just kept looking at the trackman screen going 'its not going as far as that first one did'. First one was a CB2008 and my P770. I did eventually hit a few within 5y of the others, expected based on lofts. I was more looking at ballspeed.

Yeah, I know I told her, but this one is gorgeous :)

Trackman don't lie.

Lot of temptation on the 501, especially with the occasional add in BST for them (one now).

2008s felt quite good to me. It had a family type feel compared to the CB-501/57 and other CB's I hit at the same time, but were just a smidge off if that makes any sense. Solid but not quite the same solid as the siblings.

I'd have no issue gaming them, however they look identical to my 770, perform very similarly (770 are a softer feel which I enjoy), the 1008 or MB 501 style with thinner top line is where my purchasing head is.

Credit to Miura for making the 2008 feel the way it does for a 2 piece CB iron, I have yet to feel one that good of the others I have tried (and own, in the case of some 790s).

A lot of interesting points in this thread, including the OP noting the similarities of the 2008 and 770. I have a second-hand 770 set, hadn’t played a TM iron in more than 10 years, and I am very impressed by the 770. I think for a wide range of players, it is truly the best in the TM 700 series, not the 790.

I was surprised TM dropped it. The 760 is good, but not as good. I get a lot of power from it and it is accurate

I understand the OP wanting a little different look in the Miuras, but I might enjoy the easy transition to a Miura head that looks like the 770.

I have a Miura Y grind 1957 wedge I play. It’s a fantastic wedge. Had a set of CB57 — to me one of the best and coolest-feeling cavity backs ever — but I sold them because of heavy 128g shafts. Love, love that head. When Miura discontinued them, I grabbed a set of clean heads and still have them. Pondering a graphite build for them (Probably a Mitsubishi Rayon iron shaft ). They also would be an occasional set, not regular gamers. Now you have me thinking whether I could combo the 2008 with the CB57. I don’t care about same model line at all, just need each club to do its job. I also do like the look of the 1008.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Part of it for me is a bit of nostalgia: I played staffs as a junior and that thinner look brings me back, but I am not OCD about it at all (my bag is a blend now). I have picked up a few used wedges to start, including a new 52 PP-01 which was brand new for $50 and I feel like I stole it. Have a 56 K grind, and a Y/C both on the way. Gives me a nice assortment of different wedges to keep as well as beautiful craftsmanship.

Hard to rate the forgiveness in my first session of the 1008 as they go a smidge shorter then the 1deg stronger 770s: I'd need a bit of course time and meh hits to see where they really land and if its a chip or a putt : D

I thought the CB57 was a winner too, Only iron that is recent that I have not hit is the MC 501 but has a good rep, and seems to be related to the 1008 in shape. A 5-7 2008, 8-W 1008/CB/even MB001 would work nicely. If this was my only set, I would have the 2008 or even a PP for 4-5, maybe even 6.

Pulled the trigger on a used set of 1008's I could not pass up for the price (I see the heads only in BST now which is nicely priced too :) and just got back from 2 day FL stint.

I'm used to firm Northeast courses, so the sometimes soggie but almost always tight FL courses always seem to test my strike more as you can't get away with the mini-fat shots as much.

Turf interaction with these seem lovely: sole is thinner then my P770s. Flight when I got it correct (lower vs my high spinny meh shots) was lovely and they spinned really well: perhaps too well.

I am going to spend some winter time on a sim dialing in swing and comparing my launch/spin between the two to see how they really perform for me but I do enjoy how they look and that's what I was going for: a second set that was a bit special, maybe harder to hit but to have fun.

They seem a tad less forgiving for me then the P770s initially, but I wasn't expecting the same forgiveness level from a more players looking CB iron. Slightly fat high center strikes where shorter then the P770 similar miss: so be it. They are 1d weaker, and I generally was just clubbing down 1 and swinging away.

Just game me more chances to pitch/chip with the used 56 K grind I also picked up, and that is just a beautiful wedge.

b

Excellent update. I like the comparisons to the 770 as a baseline as I have found those to be as forgiving as I want or need.

I am looking forward to the sim data: while not perfect the basics of launch/spin/speed don't lie and if the 1008s are more then 5y shorter on average that would be interesting. I suspect the spin will be a bit higher, however I am not experienced enough in looking at that data as the professionals (fitters, club techs etc...) to see say 800 RPM delta yeah thats 5-7y or whatever it could be.

The shafts in the 1008s are very different on the surface (Accra 95 iCWT) then my stock KBS FLT 120s in the 120s. Besides looking stunning...they feel just fine. Sure lighter but its not throwing me off so far.

Its no problem if I need to reshaft with steelies (and there are some nice looking black KBS's out there :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been gaming the 1008's with K grind 60 / 56, and a Y Grind 51 for just under a year now. Great set, though I'd agree with you that they're not particularly forgiving whatsoever, even in the realm of forged 1 piece players CBs. I'd say they're a smidge more forgiving than my Baby Blades, particularly in the long irons.

That said, they're a fun set to play, and I'm enjoying watching them wear as I went with the black version of the heads. Enjoy them!

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 1 month later...

I love my CB1008’s, haven’t tried the other irons, but was the model to finally sway me from the Titleist brand. I went back to a full Miura setup (minus my driver):

F0A8I8RFZRG0.jpeg

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

+1 on the CB 1008s. Absolutely lovely to look at and play with. If I had to go on pure performance, I’d have to admit that the Bridgestone J15 CBs narrowly make the top of my list (still have 2 sets). But the CB 1008s are the best combo of players iron looks, solid feel and overall experience. Currently in the bag...

G0TRFFPTCPDG.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever test your 1008’s on the SIM? Am curious about spin rates and carry.

I have not compiled numbers due primarily me working on some swing changes, which when I do correctly produces a better strike with lower launch (vs a flippy early release I have had for 20 years). Still on my radar just need a day I am swinging consistent indoors.

Compared to the P770s the flights are similar and distance wise even 1d weaker the 1008s get on with it but the P770 is a tad more forgiving in terms of ball speed. Even with flippy swing I was carrying the 1008s near the same distance as my P770, but I do want to at least get average launch, ball speed etc...in a session to do a better comparison.

Have you noticed the difference in blade length between the two? That’s always a big box to check with me. That fine line between compact looking but not so much so as to be intimidating.

The P770, for example, is not the most compact out there but it is compared to most irons, and that size “range“ and/or look works for me. Based on eye-balling only of the 1008, I thought it looked closer to the 760, which would be fine. Of course, ain’t nothin’ wrong with sticking with the 770 either!

Blade size is almost identical (the CB2008 on the ground I can not distinguish between my 770: they are spooky similar). Pics are never easy to really get perspective with golf clubs, but here goes. First is a pic side by side, score lines are aligned and the toe is maybe 1MM longer if that: very close. Second pic from above, the top line is thinner on the CB1008, but to my eye its far easier to see as a single club. The CB1008 looks blade like to me. The slightly added chunk of the 770 one could say is a bit more confidence inspiring but perhaps its more in the head vs physical attributes of the iron. I don't have a 760 on hand, but being 1MM smaller when I looked at it in the store it looked similar. I didn't think the top line was much different the the 770 vs something like the T100 where Titleist did improve that top line look for the CB.

G6YX5MA100EM.jpg

87FTZ3TPH3Q1.jpg

Blade length is near identical (in fact the CB2008 is spooky close to a P770 when I swung them in a store). The 760 I only hit in a store, and I don't recall if the top line is much different or not. The CB has a much thinner top line which is easier to se in person, pics are a bit hard to discern but here goes. First pic you see the score lines from the side: P770 is first then CB1008. They are the same size, toe shape is a bit different.

Second pic, from the top you see the CB on the right is a bit thinner. Much more pronounced from above playing the club and why I like gaming the CB1008s for special occasions as a blade like club with some forgiveness. I could game them all the time for sure, but the 770s are good solid clubs and I can abuse them in all sorts of bad lies and such knowing they are stupid easy to replace :)

T13QGDYV38I9.jpg

LRMKD6YUA50C.jpg

Very close in size. Toe a little more rounded on the 770 vs the classic Miura toe. They both look good. Suggests that if you can find the center on the 770, the 1008 would not be a huge change.

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the p770 would fall between the 1008 and 2008 and has similarities to each.

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2019 at 1:50 AM, MysteryV said:

I've been gaming the 1008's with K grind 60 / 56, and a Y Grind 51 for just under a year now. Great set, though I'd agree with you that they're not particularly forgiving whatsoever, even in the realm of forged 1 piece players CBs. I'd say they're a smidge more forgiving than my Baby Blades, particularly in the long irons.

That said, they're a fun set to play, and I'm enjoying watching them wear as I went with the black version of the heads. Enjoy them!

Hi. Any chance if you sharing a picture of the patina and wear of your raw black version? Thanks 

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R