We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Hybrids

Paddy_2_Iron ·  
Paddy_2_IronPaddy_2_Iron  79WRX Points: 27Members Posts: 79

For high handicappers, does it really make sense to have more than one?

I'm looking at charts for handicaps 15 - 25 and the 4 hybrid and 5 hybrid generally go the same distance. I'm assuming the same can be said for the 3 as well.

So in short, is it a waste of money to have 2 - 3 hybrids when the data shows for most average hitting hacks they all go relatively the same distance. In fact the chart also showed the 4 iron and 5 iron for average handicappers going the same distance. Does it make sense to carry a 4 iron knowing that information?

In fact I would think having one advancement club is better than multiple ones. Practice it and get good at it. I would think getting comfortable and confident with the one "advancer" would do far more for you game.

Besides you could get fit for that one "advancer" and put money in the shaft etc and really have a tool to use.

Posted:

Masterfit M Series 5 Beta 10.5 | LT CBv2 SI 2019 Shaft

Masterfit M Series Hybrid 3 19 Degree | LT CBv2 SI 2019 Shaft

5 - 9 Hawkeye Big Bertha's 1998 | Regular Flex Graphite

46, 51, 56, 60 Ion Blue S18 Mizuno 2019 | Graphite Masterfit UST 

Odyssey White Hot 1#

Comments

• MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62  1725WRX Points: 256Members Posts: 1,725

I played a 3 and 4 hybrids for years and there was always a distance gap between the two. I fell into a that handicap range when I was playing 2. I don’t play the 4 anymore because I improved and can hit a 4 iron more accurately than the hybrid.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • andrueandrue  1395WRX Points: 214Members Posts: 1,395

I don't know what chart you're reading but I think it needs to go in the shredder. Both my current set and my previous set had several hybrids and they went different distances. Currently my 5 goes 170, my 4 goes 180 and my 3 goes 190.

I think a lot of high cappers would do well to replace as many of their irons with hybrids as they can.

I wish I could find a 6h and am considering ditching my 64* for a 2h.

I'm currently playing off 22.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • bellkenbellken  835WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 835

I am a higher handicap, and, I carry 2 hybrids, a 21 and a 25. I use to carry Ping G10's, 21, 24, and, 28. They all went different distances for me. The distances and gaps you get will be dependent on your swing speed.

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13050WRX Points: 1,983Members Posts: 13,050

it's irons that go the same not hybrids

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65 06
    Callaway Xhot 3 Deep 14.5* Fubuki 73x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17* Aldila NVS 85x 
    Callaway Apex v1 3h 20* AD DI 95x
    Cally Apex v1 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Mizuno 919T 6-G UST Recoil 95 f4 
    Vokey sm2 54*m & 59*m TVD 
    Callaway PM 64* UST 110 f4
    Yes Donna

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • caniac6caniac6  3101WRX Points: 718Members Posts: 3,101

I'm a 4 handicap, and I carry two hybrids. They are so easy to hit.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • txgolfer45txgolfer45  166WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 166

I replaced a 4i and 5i with a 4h and 5h. Fortunately, the hybrids are adjustable as I weakened both 2 degrees (33 and 26) as I have a 5 wood adjusted to 17 and 7 wood adjusted to 20. This gives me the gaps I need. I'm a mid single digit golfer. I went with the Callaway Big Bertha hybrids. Not a high handicapper. But, found hybrids to be a great addition as they provide a higher trajectory than I could muster out of the 4i and 5i on average.

Posted:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft
    Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood
    Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i
    Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 6-AW, DG XP R shaft
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree
    Putter: Vons SS398

• ChipNRunChipNRun  1856WRX Points: 383Members Posts: 1,856

If you're going to talk about data charts, please share them. Then we can see what you are looking at.

You are addressing the need to do a gap analysis for your bridge clubs - those clubs between your driver and your lowest-numbered iron.

Not sure why the 4H and 5H would go the same distance for all average golfers, assuming they are the same head model and shaft. As others have said, they get distance gaps between the two. For many golfers, the 3H is somewhat difficult to hit.

Now, data does show that 4i and 5i sometimes go the same distance. If this happens, it's a case the golfer doesn't have the clubhead speed, or maybe the cleanness of strike, to maximize the 4i design. Workarounds include replacing 4i with hybrid, or going with a softstepped or lighter shaft in the 4i to improve launch. If the reshaft works, keep it. If not, go with hybrid.

With my new irons (see below), the 4i was good off the tee but iffy off the fairway. So, I refit it with a hybrid shaft. I picked up a few more yards off the tee and can now hit it off a decent fairway lie.

Or, some players will get a more forgiving 4i and 5i from the next friendlier set. When Rogue irons came out, a Callaway fitter suggested I might get a 6i-PW in Rogue Pro and a 4i + 5i in basic Rogue. If you look in our What's In The Bag section, some pros will have a GI 3i and/or 4i and Players irons for the rest of the set.

Note: some people find higher lofted FW work better for them than hybrids. Again, what works best...

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5830WRX Points: 1,097Members Posts: 5,830

I ditched fairway woods and carry 3 hybrids all the time and sometimes I carry a 4th. Best move I ever made.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping,54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X
  • Paddy_2_IronPaddy_2_Iron  79WRX Points: 27Members Posts: 79

@txgolfer45 You make a great point. Getting the ones that adjust can help create gaps in your set.

@ChipNRun I'll try to track down that data set. It essentially compared Irons to Hybrid to Woods. Showing 4, 5 irons go the same distance for 15-20+ handicaps. Hybrids 4, 5 went the same ~distance ( I think 3 hybrid actually had a gap from the 4 if memory serves me correctly).... Again this was averages so no outliers removed, assuming duff, shanks etc.... This was broken out by **** as well. IMHO it would make more sense carrying a 3 and 5 hybrid and foregoing the 4. Just like fairway woods, you almost never see a golfer carrying a 5 wood, 6 wood and 7 wood.

Quantitatively the data shows the hybrids going ~ the same distance. Qualitatively 15+ would best be served using one advancement club in the 200 - 175 range and becoming proficient with that instead of having 3 - 4 hybrids. This piece is just my opinion from what I have witnessed on the course and personal experience.

Posted:

Masterfit M Series 5 Beta 10.5 | LT CBv2 SI 2019 Shaft

Masterfit M Series Hybrid 3 19 Degree | LT CBv2 SI 2019 Shaft

5 - 9 Hawkeye Big Bertha's 1998 | Regular Flex Graphite

46, 51, 56, 60 Ion Blue S18 Mizuno 2019 | Graphite Masterfit UST 

Odyssey White Hot 1#

• bullie76bullie76  2234WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 2,234

For senior golfers like myself, hybrids are a no brainer. And for younger golfers that have a tough time with the longer irons I see no reason to not put a couple in the bag.

Posted:
    My senior bag.......
    Callaway Rogue 9 * driver reg
    Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
    Callaway Apex cf16 irons 6-pw Recoil ES 760/f3 reg 
    Ping i200 50* cfs reg
    Cleveland 588 56* s/w
    Odyssey White Hot XG 7 putter

Advertisement
  • jholzjholz  1602WRX Points: 402Members Posts: 1,602

Once you learn to look at hybrids as an iron, and hit them as such, they are a great addition to the bag. I love the versatility of my current 3 and 4 hybrid set up. So much so that I would love to get an 18* Callaway Apex hybrid to fill in for the old Mizuno F50 5w I currently use for longer courses. I find it so much easier to choke down and manufacture distances with the hybrids. They are much more effective gap fillers for me.

As far as the OP is concerned, I can't say I've ever seen much discussion concerning distance gaps, or lack thereof, when it comes to hybrids. More common when it comes to Driver and 3w, in my experience.

The most common complaint with hybrids (again, in my experience) is their "tendency to go left." But...hit them like an iron, they don't go left. YMMV.

Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  1856WRX Points: 383Members Posts: 1,856

@Paddy_2_Iron ,

If you could find the data set/chart, that would be great. I'm familiar with research methods, and sometimes broad summary charts can be misleading in their presentation.

Your point about carrying a 3H and 5H is a valid one. I often see single-digit HDCP players carry a 3W, a 2H and 4H, and then jump to 5i.

Also, the particulars of a hybrid model can matter. Loft ID (XR Pro - clubhead bears loft, not 2H, etc.) with tight gaps often implies you don't carry adjacent hybrids.

Men's 2015 XR Pro Mens Graphite Shaft Hybrid Product Specs (Bonded head, non-adjustable)

1H...16*...41.0"

2H...18*...40.5"

3H...20*...40.0"

4H...23*...39.5

Cobra FlyZ

2-3H...17-19*...41.25"

3-4H...19-22*...40.5"

4-5H...22-25*...39.75

With the FlyZ, however, you're more likely to get decent yardage separation between adjacent hybrids. With 3H set at 19* and 4H set at 22*, you get 3* loft gaps and 3/4" shaft gaps, rather than {2* + .5"} with XR Pro.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • GolfMinimalistGolfMinimalist  86WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 86

I think that regardless of whether you're talking hybrids or irons or fairway woods, a lot of players need to take an honest look at their distances and dump some clubs.

Posted:
  • rkillianrkillian  55WRX Points: 16Members Posts: 55

I started a thread that sort of addresses this yesterday. It's called High Handicap Bag Set up Discussion. There's a good bit in there about what to work on to improve scores too. I was asking about the top of my bag. I have struggled with my 3 Wood and 3 and 4 Hybrids. Out of those 3 clubs I am most comfortable with my 4 Hybrid likely due to whatever swing flaws I have and my current skill. On A good day I get different distances between both hybrids but in general I hit the 4 better. My hybrids are also are in regular flex shafts. I learned through trying some clubs yesterday that I need a stiff shaft in my hybrid. I am personally thinking I will be dropping my 3 wood for a 5 wood and dropping my current hybrid for a 4 with a stiff shaft. That in theory should give me even enough gapping and simplify the top of my bag. But I am not doing this because there wouldn't be enough differnece between the 2 hybrids I have. If they fit me better and I could hit the 3 well they would probably be fine and go different enough distances.

Posted:
  • duffer18duffer18  364WRX Points: 80Members Posts: 364

To the OP, yes, it makes sense to have more than one hybrid. Might not be a 3 and 4--might be a 3 and 5. But if you're starting out, unless you have time to put a lot of practice in, you will be hard-pressed to find many 3, 4, and 5 irons that you can hit better than hybrids. Over time, if you improve, you can always experiment with replacing hybrids with lower irons.

And your question is also appropriate as to whether there is overlap between hybrids. A number of posters insist that each hybrid will have a different distance than it's lower or higher counterpart. That may well reflect their experience, but that doesn't make it true for all golfers and all hybrids. Between differences in shafts, in spin numbers, swing characteristics and other factors, yes, you can have 4 and 5 hybrids go the same distance. How do I know? I carry three hybrids. I'm an old hacker, 13 hi, and I've found 3 and 4 hybrids that are nicely different in length and usually accurate. Finding a 5 was a PITA because a few that I tried were no better than my 6 iron. Similarly, once I had the 5 hybrid that worked, I tried a couple of 6 hybrids--and they were no better than my 7 iron. I know this because I did testing indoors on launch monitors and outdoors using my Arccos system. Now, there are times I use only two hybrids because I can always choke up on the 4 hybrid and approximate the 5. So start with one or two, figure out how those work for you. Then, using your own demoing and testing, or through fitting, figure out if another hybrid or two will help. Don't assume a **** thing about how golf clubs, in your hands, will work, no matter what you read on this site.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.