We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Failed Experiments

leezer99 ·  
leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 1494Members Posts: 1,494

Hey parents, how many of you have had a failed experiment with your junior golfer in regards to equipment, instruction or whatever? How quickly did you realize and abandon ship?

I had my son try a GAPR for a couple of rounds and realized he was less accurate off the tee with it than hitting a fairway wood or hybrid. Smother hooks or big blocks ensued so that thing ended up back in the used bin.

Any stories to share where you were like, "NOPE, that's not the answer!"

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Comments

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11  452Members Posts: 452

Mallet putter for my son. We tried a Spider and it was very quickly a big no for him. For the way he aligns and putts he needs a blade or something in between (B60 style) with minimal or no alignment aid. After one round with the mallet we both agreed that was a big fat nope!

Strangely enough we tried a driving iron earlier in the year and shelved it quickly now he loves it. (Callway X Utility Prototype)

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1494Members Posts: 1,494

Oh yeah... we tried the Odyssey X7 and that lasted about a week. Back to the blade he went.

Posted:

• kekoakekoa  9219ClubWRX Posts: 9,219

Same here. Had the GAPR in the bag for maybe a day and sold it for a huge hit. That thing is a bit intimidating for a 9 yr old. ****, I couldn't hit it very well either.

Going forward, I'm not going to change his bag up much. I pretty much know what works now and what doesn't. I've experimented a lot on my own and learned the hard way.

Posted:
  • darter79darter79  766Members Posts: 766

I spent way too much on a very custom putter, I left it in her bag because of how much I spent for about 18 months or so thinking oh it will get better its custom fit. Changed her putter she start putting a heck of a lot better and scores drop. Now I test and retest equipment before pulling a trigger hard enough with juniors with how fast they grow.

Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873  1341Members Posts: 1,341

Trying to keep the perfect clubs during a major growth spurt. It ends up with me buying new clubs every 3 months. The only good thing that did was make me sick of buying and tinkering with equipment.

Posted:

We used the gapr with good results. Not always in the Bag since we change setups based on courses played With girls you can play some pretty short tees and holes and this club is perfect for a drivable par 4. or very narrow fairways. When we play longer courses a 5wood is a better bet.

Posted:

Advertisement

That is why he loves his Callaway Utility. He still faces a good number of shorter Par 4s and he is smart enough to prefer a full shot than some random pitch/chip so he will hit it to leave himself 85-90 in rather than 45-50.

Posted:
  • jj9000jj9000  2707ClubWRX Posts: 2,707

Biggest issue = not leaving well enough alone.

Posted:

Don't be bringing logic into a golf forum now. Newer is always better! :)

Posted:
  • MikekiMMikekiM  251Members Posts: 251

Have tried mixing in some heavier adult clubs in the bag for testing here and there, and continue to fail. Sticking with lightweight junior clubs until he can drive.

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MikekiMMikekiM  251Members Posts: 251

10 1/2. Most of my experimenting has been with wedges which are obviously quite heavy. Wasn't expecting him to like them tbh, just trying them out.

Posted:

Speaking of wedges that brings up a mistake I made a few years ago now. I brought the lightest shafts and wedges I could find only to find out that they were actually too light . We blamed everything but the wedges only to find out a super heavy wedge with a stock shaft worked better. Ended up buying new wedges and never looked back.

Posted:
  • kekoakekoa  9219ClubWRX Posts: 9,219

LMAO!! I watch some pretty good kids still playing USkids TS irons and it looks pretty **** effortless. High shots with tons of distance. A part of me wants to go back to them sometimes, but its probably too late.

Posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I do think these 14 and 16 year olds still hitting USKids stuff are holding themselves back though. Have to make the jump sooner or later.

Posted:

Right, I am glad my kid hit the adult irons better fairly quickly or I would always be second guessing myself....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519  422Members Posts: 422

I know I’m moving my junior into stiffer/heavier shafts sooner than I should. Too stubborn to change, but always thinking about rolling back the shaft... hoping that by the time I give in, won’t have to.

Posted:
  • mrshinsamrshinsa  258Members Posts: 258

super speed sticks.

I know some people here swear by them, but they totally messed up his swing. Still trying to fix it during mid-season. Ughh!

Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3479Members Posts: 3,479

I truly believe you have to be big and strong enough to swing them to get any use out of them.

My kid went through the same thing as yours. I also believe that if it messes up their swing then their swing needs fixing anyway.

Posted:

Always get fitted for clubs. It doesn't matter what you think, get fitted.

My kid is going from a players iron to a game improvement iron. Yep. He gets 10 mph more in ball speed, 17 yards more distance with 7i, more spin, higher elevation with a 29 degree 7i than a 35 degree 7i, and better dispersion.

Posted:

Unless your getting free clubs it's almost impossible to have the correct shaft for a junior that is growing like crazy. Get the perfect shaft and the minute there used of the clubs and playing the next tournament you realize the shaft is not stiff or heavy enough. Anyone who has any experience fitting juniors and wants to protect your investment in clubs will oversize them and make them a bit too stiff.

I noticed that a lot kids between 10-13 generally have clubs that are not really fit well that are actually growing. I also noticed that a lot the kids who win at this age are actually late bloomers so they tend have clubs that fit to them which kind of makes sense . My daughters tends to be tall and pretty strong for her age and it has very unique challenges..

Posted:
    Post edited by tiger1873 on

Advertisement

This is true of essentially any sport from baseball, to golf, to running, to football. Growth spurts throw everything out of whack for a kid. I am much more a running coach than golf coach and you see it all the time in our sport. Kids will go from being a state champion to dropping out of the top 10 because a growth spurt threw them all of whack. However, it is more pronounced in golf than any other because of the massive amount of equipment.

Posted:

Tinkering costs you more money in the long run though. Just get em fit and buy what they need.

Posted:

I am not saying you should tinker and not get fit by a fitter. Just make sure the guy who does it works with juniors. Most fitters I used and know others have used all tend to fit a little longer and stiffer shafts then are ideal to allow some growth.

I am talking about younger kids though. If we are talking about older kids say 14-17 the growth they get are not going to as great and I have to believe that you can easily fit them with the correct equipment at that age.

One huge issue and a big reason a fitter helps is every shaft is not that same when it comes to stiffness. UST recoil regular may actually be a senior shaft in Project X shaft or vice versa. A lot OEM shafts have what I call Vanity stiffness because guys tend to want say they play stiffer shafts then what they really need.

Posted:
  • darter79darter79  766Members Posts: 766

That's why you never judge it for stiffness, weigh is a better indication. Taking juniors out of it I can swing an X flex in steel at 105 but not at 135. Flex is one of the most over rated metics out there and I'm sure everyone will disagree. If you give me a senior at 45 and a ladies at 48, the senior will play softer.

Posted:

I think I agree with this assessment a lot and tend to look at the total weight more than anything too. I learned the hard way with those stupid junior steel shafts that were supposed be great in US kids clubs. The flex was good but boy they were heavy. It was an easy mistake to make when you listen to big box retailers salesman who pretend they do fittings.

Posted:

Advertisement

I don't agree with this. Too Light doesn't always work either. Has to be the total weight of the club and how it feels.

Posted:
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1060Members Posts: 1,060

HH, if I recall, your junior played the Wilson V6 Forged irons. Those just didn't work out? The tech in that club looks great with tungsten weighting, etc....

Posted:

-- Two things don't last long. Dogs chasing cars and golf pro's putting for pars. --

Fitter didn't get him the right shafts in the club and didn't check the lie angle. Everything is out on the toe in a quarter sized dot. He has had his Wilson's with the stiff shaft for about 6 months. He is not the longest of hitters and while he can hit them the clubs/shafts aren't helping him any. 7i is 35 degrees which on the flight scope says he is getting 141 average carry. 7i with his new Grandpa Irons (that is what he is calling them) is 158 carry with 10 mph better ball speed. While the Grandpa was a 29 degree loft, it actually elevated higher in the air and came down on a steeper decent with more spin and better dispersion. So much so it was hard to ignore. When you are playing 6700 yard courses those numbers are a lot. I don't think it was much the tech in the Wilson's as it was a poor fitting with the shaft. He is going to game the Big Bertha's until he hits his growth spurt and when he needs the Extra Stiff shaft will get him into players irons again.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1494Members Posts: 1,494

A lot of people talk down on the 'jacked lofts' of today's irons but in reality OEM's had to do this to maintain ball flight. The new tech is launching balls higher than the blades of the past.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.