We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Playing alone

frustrated_gilmore ·  
frustrated_gilmorefrustrated_gilmore  5Members Posts: 5

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to golf! I was just wondering what the general consensus is for players who play alone? I am new and trying to get as much practice in as I can, I often want to play 9 holes alone (less pressure and I don’t know anyone that plays).

I was just wondering if this annoys other players as I obviously move quicker than groups and they might feel I’m pushing to play though (which I’m not). I sometimes feel a bit self conscious about playing alone and wondered if generally speaking anyone on the course cares?

cheers guys.

Posted:

Comments

• BMCBMC  3708Members Posts: 3,708

You're fine to play alone. If the course is fairly full in front of you, just lag back and give the players ahead some room.

Don't stand in the fairway leaning on your club like you're impatient.

Posted:
    Titleist 917D2
    TM V-Steel 3 wood
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18 Hybrid
    Srixon i701 Tour irons
    Vokey 52 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey 1WS putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • frustrated_gilmorefrustrated_gilmore  5Members Posts: 5

ok cool, is it ok to take a few practice swings or do you think that freaks people out that you’re going to hit the ball?

Posted:
  • GreenieGreenie  3521Members Posts: 3,521

I play in groups and I also play as a single a lot. I enjoy playing as a single because I usually play better because I seem more focused on what I m doing. As the above poster replied lag back and give the players some room. It's ok to take some practice swings while waiting. I do it all the time to stay lose while waiting. Sometimes I'll take those practice swings in a different direction instead of towards the group ahead.

You will meet all kinds of people on the course. You have those that think every single expects to fly through all groups on the course and may have an attitude towards a single. You will have other people on the course that are more understanding of a single. As you say not every single expects to fly through groups. I certainly don't. I'll sometimes talk to the group ahead and let them know that I'm out to enjoy the day and say take your time I'm not in a hurry.

Posted:
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Michigan 3562ClubWRX Posts: 3,562

As long as you don't hit up on the group in front and aren't making a lot of noise while they are playing, you are doing your part.

As for their mind set, you cannot control that. They should be focusing on their game and not your practice swings or whatever else you might be doing for that matter.

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis  4181Members Posts: 4,181

Playing alone can be one of life's sublime pleasures. Most of us play alone from time-to-time and enjoy it immensely. We choose times when the course isn't too busy and respect the group ahead by lagging back so as to not seem impatient. Playing alone, when we are prohibited from posting scores, is a time to hit the occasional practice shot or even play two balls. Sadly, we may encounter the grumpy souls who seems to think we don't belong however, that's their problem, not ours.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • gripandripgripandrip  1114Members Posts: 1,114

I play alone a lot and have a couple different approaches. If possible I talk to the group ahead and tell them no hurry, I'm not going to push. But if I don't get a chance to talk to them, I just make sure that when I puttzing around with practice swings and such, I have my back to them, or at least not taking practice swings in their direction. That kind of shows that I'm not in a hurry.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jacob7071jacob7071 TX 26Members Posts: 26

Just don't take divots with practice swings. It's ok when you're hitting your ball, but it's just unnecessary damage to the course on a practice swing.

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8318Members Posts: 8,318

As long as you aren't holding up play behind you, no harm in taking a few extra putts and practicing a few shots. I do this routinely on my local track.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    3h - '17 Tour Issue M1 | Accra TZ6
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus 120
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• david.c.wdavid.c.w  38Members Posts: 38

Playing alone is great. You just need to have realistic expectations. Don't expect to play alone at 9:00 on a Saturday. Target later afternoons on the weekends and early afternoons on the weekdays. Talking to the group ahead and letting them know you don't want to push great idea. If there is space in front and they let you through, go on ahead. If the course is full and you are solo don't expect to play through.

Some other things to consider:

• Try walking. It takes a bit longer if by yourself so will eat up some extra time
    • Try playing a game with yourself. Best ball of 2 or 2 ball scramble, or the reverse scramble where you play your worst ball. I try to play a 2 ball scramble and make sure I make par or better.
    • practice putting and maybe some chipping if you are not holding up the group behind while you wait for the group in front to clear the tee box or fairway.

Go out and have fun. Everyone is out to have fun. you might eventually get paired up with another beginner who wants the same you do.

Posted:

That’s a good point, I should try and let them know I’m not looking to play through!

Posted:

That’s a good idea playing more than one ball, it’s never occurred to me!

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28874Members Posts: 28,874

I agree with that so much I had to reply !

I started this game as a single with nobody to play with. And for a long time I preferred that. To this day I remember how singles are treated and try to do the opposite.

Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy!  1073Members Posts: 1,073

I get out there by myself some. I do try not to pressure the group in front of me. Among the best points made (and I have to remind myself of this) is don’t get out there alone on Saturday morning. Enjoy it!

Posted:
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!!  5620Members Posts: 5,620

I get stuck with this situation a lot. As everyone said, don't push folks. Pace yourself and make the most of the time you've been given. I almost always play two balls and the reverse scramble is my favorite format. Makes you focus more. I also sometimes will play a ball off two different tee boxes. Gives me an idea of what difference it makes. Planning to do this next week in Houston because it is supposed to be cold, rainy and windy. I figure I'll be the only person on the course.

Posted:
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • bking556bking556  24Members Posts: 24

I enjoy playing single. I'll join a group if the course is busy but if it isn't, I'll often play a second ball. I prefer practice on the course rather than the range.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AugsterAugster  4513Members Posts: 4,513

If you’re only planning on playing 9, get to the course early and ask to go off the back. There should be nobody out there and you’ll have the entire 9 to yourself. Hit putts. Play 2 or 3 balls. Nobody ahead and nobody behind.

Posted:
    • NEW
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1136Members Posts: 1,136

A lot has to do with body posture. If you want the group ahead to know that you’re not interested in catching them or playing through, for example on a par 3 , don’t stand on the tee box like you’re lining up a shot, stand sideways or face away, people will get your drift easily

Posted:
    • NEW
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.