Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Playing alone

frustrated_gilmore ·  
frustrated_gilmorefrustrated_gilmore Members  7WRX Points: 7Posts: 7 Bunkers

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to golf! I was just wondering what the general consensus is for players who play alone? I am new and trying to get as much practice in as I can, I often want to play 9 holes alone (less pressure and I don’t know anyone that plays).

I was just wondering if this annoys other players as I obviously move quicker than groups and they might feel I’m pushing to play though (which I’m not). I sometimes feel a bit self conscious about playing alone and wondered if generally speaking anyone on the course cares?

cheers guys.

Posted:

Comments

• BMCBMC Members  3928WRX Points: 922Handicap: YESPosts: 3,928 Titanium Tees

You're fine to play alone. If the course is fairly full in front of you, just lag back and give the players ahead some room.

Don't stand in the fairway leaning on your club like you're impatient.

Posted:
    PING Rapture(OG) 10.5 driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Pro hybrids 18 & 23
    Callaway '18 MB irons
    Callaway 56 SW
    Cleveland Classic #2 putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • frustrated_gilmorefrustrated_gilmore Members  7WRX Points: 7Posts: 7 Bunkers

ok cool, is it ok to take a few practice swings or do you think that freaks people out that you’re going to hit the ball?

Posted:
  • GreenieGreenie Members  3604WRX Points: 217Handicap: 13.7Posts: 3,604 Titanium Tees

I play in groups and I also play as a single a lot. I enjoy playing as a single because I usually play better because I seem more focused on what I m doing. As the above poster replied lag back and give the players some room. It's ok to take some practice swings while waiting. I do it all the time to stay lose while waiting. Sometimes I'll take those practice swings in a different direction instead of towards the group ahead.

You will meet all kinds of people on the course. You have those that think every single expects to fly through all groups on the course and may have an attitude towards a single. You will have other people on the course that are more understanding of a single. As you say not every single expects to fly through groups. I certainly don't. I'll sometimes talk to the group ahead and let them know that I'm out to enjoy the day and say take your time I'm not in a hurry.

Posted:
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed MichiganClubWRX  4037WRX Points: 701Posts: 4,037 ClubWRX

As long as you don't hit up on the group in front and aren't making a lot of noise while they are playing, you are doing your part.

As for their mind set, you cannot control that. They should be focusing on their game and not your practice swings or whatever else you might be doing for that matter.

Posted:
  • gripandripgripandrip Members  1271WRX Points: 248Posts: 1,271 Platinum Tees

I play alone a lot and have a couple different approaches. If possible I talk to the group ahead and tell them no hurry, I'm not going to push. But if I don't get a chance to talk to them, I just make sure that when I puttzing around with practice swings and such, I have my back to them, or at least not taking practice swings in their direction. That kind of shows that I'm not in a hurry.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jacob7071jacob7071 TXMembers  49WRX Points: 44Handicap: 1Posts: 49 Bunkers

Just don't take divots with practice swings. It's ok when you're hitting your ball, but it's just unnecessary damage to the course on a practice swing.

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees

As long as you aren't holding up play behind you, no harm in taking a few extra putts and practicing a few shots. I do this routinely on my local track.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

• david.c.wdavid.c.w Members  111WRX Points: 80Handicap: 6.4Posts: 111 Fairways

Playing alone is great. You just need to have realistic expectations. Don't expect to play alone at 9:00 on a Saturday. Target later afternoons on the weekends and early afternoons on the weekdays. Talking to the group ahead and letting them know you don't want to push great idea. If there is space in front and they let you through, go on ahead. If the course is full and you are solo don't expect to play through.

Some other things to consider:

• Try walking. It takes a bit longer if by yourself so will eat up some extra time
    • Try playing a game with yourself. Best ball of 2 or 2 ball scramble, or the reverse scramble where you play your worst ball. I try to play a 2 ball scramble and make sure I make par or better.
    • practice putting and maybe some chipping if you are not holding up the group behind while you wait for the group in front to clear the tee box or fairway.

Go out and have fun. Everyone is out to have fun. you might eventually get paired up with another beginner who wants the same you do.

Posted:

That’s a good point, I should try and let them know I’m not looking to play through!

Posted:

That’s a good idea playing more than one ball, it’s never occurred to me!

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  31008WRX Points: 7,293Handicap: NONEPosts: 31,008 Titanium Tees

I agree with that so much I had to reply !

I started this game as a single with nobody to play with. And for a long time I preferred that. To this day I remember how singles are treated and try to do the opposite.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan   53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1320WRX Points: 211Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,320 Platinum Tees

I get out there by myself some. I do try not to pressure the group in front of me. Among the best points made (and I have to remind myself of this) is don’t get out there alone on Saturday morning. Enjoy it!

Posted:
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members  5951WRX Points: 470Handicap: 8Posts: 5,951 Titanium Tees

I get stuck with this situation a lot. As everyone said, don't push folks. Pace yourself and make the most of the time you've been given. I almost always play two balls and the reverse scramble is my favorite format. Makes you focus more. I also sometimes will play a ball off two different tee boxes. Gives me an idea of what difference it makes. Planning to do this next week in Houston because it is supposed to be cold, rainy and windy. I figure I'll be the only person on the course.

Posted:

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
    King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
    F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
    Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
    Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
    Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
    Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
    Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

• bking556bking556 Members  239WRX Points: 139Handicap: InfinitePosts: 239 Fairways

I enjoy playing single. I'll join a group if the course is busy but if it isn't, I'll often play a second ball. I prefer practice on the course rather than the range.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AugsterAugster Members  4771WRX Points: 638Posts: 4,771 Titanium Tees

If you’re only planning on playing 9, get to the course early and ask to go off the back. There should be nobody out there and you’ll have the entire 9 to yourself. Hit putts. Play 2 or 3 balls. Nobody ahead and nobody behind.

Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1301WRX Points: 454Posts: 1,301 Platinum Tees

A lot has to do with body posture. If you want the group ahead to know that you’re not interested in catching them or playing through, for example on a par 3 , don’t stand on the tee box like you’re lining up a shot, stand sideways or face away, people will get your drift easily

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members  574WRX Points: 127Handicap: 8Posts: 574 Golden Tee

If there is nobody behind you, practice chips and putts. If a 1 to 3 some is behind you and play is slow, join them.

If the course isn't busy and you know holes are open in front of a foursome, skip around them, especially if the sun is going down.

If you play decent with good etiquette and pace, be prepared to join up with others, if you want to play on busy courses.

Posted:
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members  460WRX Points: 72Handicap: 6Posts: 460 Greens

I play alone a ton due to work schedule. If empty course I might cart it to get holes in.If busy I walk and get thru where I can. If Im not gaining anyrhing I lay back and practice putting or play 2 balls.

Posted:
  • wkndhckrwkndhckr Members  64WRX Points: 26Posts: 64 Bunkers

I play alone all the time. I may tee up an extra ball to see how far I can hit it or putt a bit while I wait to kill time.

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it’s made me a lot less anxious about playing alone. I even joined a couple for a few holes the other day and it was nice to see the social side of golf (although mortifying that there were witnesses to my terrible shots haha)

Posted:
  • AugsterAugster Members  4771WRX Points: 638Posts: 4,771 Titanium Tees

Just remember, every single person you play with sucks at golf. We all do.

For players that are any good at the game, they have tours that give them money to play and sponsors that pay them to play.

Like I like to say, “If any of us was any good, we wouldn’t be playing here this weekend.”

Posted:
  • meliason_14meliason_14 Members  28WRX Points: 32Posts: 28 Bunkers

Love playing alone and practicing short game with a couple of balls after playing the hole.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.