PXG 0311 SGI and XF irons?

Gibsonles

Had a question for you all.

Has anyone tried to PXG 0311 SGI irons? I'm looking for a forgiving iron and wanted to get thoughts here. I'm about an ~18 handicap and am looking for irons that are forgiving and don't look too intimidating at address.

Bonus - where would you guys classify the XF irons? Would these be more on the player's iron side? Or still considered forgiving / game improvement?

If your a true 18 hcp I would go with the XF's for sure. I have the XF in my 2 - 4 irons ( although I play the Gen 2 Hybrids now ) and they are really forgiving. Don't know if you've seen the SGI's in person but the look like an iron / hybrid combo.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I have had both the GEN 1 PXG 0311XF (long irons only) and the P790 irons. They have similar length heads but the XF seemed more squatty as I recall. The XF has a lot more offset in the mid/long irons. The XF was much softer feeling, but that was the original P790....don't know about the `19 P790 (supposed to be softer feeling).

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 8 months later...

Anymore feedback on the 0311 Gen 2 SGI irons ?  I play Cobra T-Rail irons now and previously Cleveland Altitude irons. These look like a great looking SGI iron. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

Anymore feedback on the 0311 Gen 2 SGI irons ?  I play Cobra T-Rail irons now and previously Cleveland Altitude irons. These look like a great looking SGI iron. 

Battleships on a stick.  I gave the 5 and 6 SGI irons a go, in a combo set with Gen2 XF.  I liked the XF a lot, but never got into a major groove with them due to shaft issues.  The SGI are so big that I really couldn’t hit them well at all.  Thought they would be money in the long irons, but they didn’t get it done for me. When I made decent contact, everything went to the right (I am a lefty).  I would very much recommend trying to demo the SGI before purchasing them.  They are very unique, to say the least.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

45 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

If you're an 18 hdcp, the XF's may be a great fit. Remember, you don't want the most-forgiving clubs, you want the most-forgiving clubs that don't hold back your game. I actually outgrew my XF's and will be putting them on the market this fall. Great clubs!

Mr. Wolfe

I hear ya, but I don't subscribe to that philosophy.  I currently play to around an 8-9 cap.  Over the past couple of months I owned the Cobra T-Rails and PXG 0211's.  The PXG's probably fit my cap (according to the internet) more so than the T-rails, but give me confidence over the ball.  Also I need launch/height and spin with my slower swing and the T-Rails won out there.  

I shot in the 70's with both irons but ultimately the T-rails won out.  The only reason I am looking at other irons is the finish.  The black paint on the back of the T-Rails is starting to get some bag chatter and it drives me nuts.  I thought the finish of the 0211s looked amazing so that is what piqued my interest in the 0311 SGI's. 

I thought about the XF's but to me they look very Ping G esque and I haven't done all that well with the G/G400/G10 irons.   

Ping 2023 Anser D

I have a set of the SGI's with NS PRO 950's, as well as a set of GEN1 XF's.  

I could honestly play either but I have the SGI's in the bag. The size doesn't bother me. My index is 13.5 but I'm shooting high 90's at the moment due to just getting back playing after a second knee replacement in March. I haven't played regularly since September 2018 when I had the same knee replaced. I like the fact that I can feel when I've hit a solid shot or not and when I don't, I don't loose that much. The only thing I've done is replaced the gap wedge with a vokey. 

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

52 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

I hear ya, but I don't subscribe to that philosophy.  I currently play to around an 8-9 cap.  Over the past couple of months I owned the Cobra T-Rails and PXG 0211's.  The PXG's probably fit my cap (according to the internet) more so than the T-rails, but give me confidence over the ball.  Also I need launch/height and spin with my slower swing and the T-Rails won out there.  

I shot in the 70's with both irons but ultimately the T-rails won out.  The only reason I am looking at other irons is the finish.  The black paint on the back of the T-Rails is starting to get some bag chatter and it drives me nuts.  I thought the finish of the 0211s looked amazing so that is what piqued my interest in the 0311 SGI's. 

I thought about the XF's but to me they look very Ping G esque and I haven't done all that well with the G/G400/G10 irons.   

That is why I put "may" fit your game. It's definitely not black or white and I didn't mean it to be. There are some older gentlemen in my league who play to single digit handicap, but play SGI type clubs. I typically play to an 8-10 handicap, but this year I got that down to a 7.1 index. I played the PXG Gen 2 0311XF irons and they are a great iron. To get to the next level for me (break 5.0), I feel I need a little more of a gamer iron as I need no help with distance or getting the ball in the air. I decided to start building a PXG Gen 3 0311P/T combo set.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

If you're an 18 hdcp, the XF's may be a great fit. Remember, you don't want the most-forgiving clubs, you want the most-forgiving clubs that don't hold back your game. I actually outgrew my XF's and will be putting them on the market this fall. Great clubs!

Mr. Wolfe

FYI - my Dad is a 10 handicap and like I said really loves the SGI’s.  Everyone is different.  

1 hour ago, GFish said:

FYI - my Dad is a 10 handicap and like I said really loves the SGI’s.  Everyone is different.  

JMHO, but I would venture that playing an iron like the SGI is more of an age thing, than a HC thing.  That is, I could picture my father-in-law in his 70s knocking the SGI irons down the fairway with light graphite shafts, and probably doing fine.  As I mentioned, I tried the SGI in the 5 and 6 irons, so I was using them at like 180-200 yards out with Steelfiber 95 shafts, and it was a failed experiment (47 years old). 

Now, in fairness to the SGI, I have never gotten along with the most SGI of SGI irons (Cleveland HB, Ping GMax and G700, PXG SGI, etc.).  I can get along fine with a true GI iron like the Ping G series, PXG XF, etc., but in the end, I seem to do best with smaller GI irons (or larger players' irons, depending on how it plays out).

Having never hit a PXG iron before this season, I have now played the 0211, Gen2 SGI, Gen2 XF, and Gen1 0311 (I guess today's P model).  And to be frank, I hit the 0211 and Gen1 0311 irons the best out of those.  I thought the Gen2 XF would be the ones for me, but I should have gone with the Gen2 P (and when I wanted to swap within the 30-day period, PXG had sold out of the LH Gen2 P heads).  In any case, these are all excellent irons, but they really cover different niches and needs, and they do perform differently.

11 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

JMHO, but I would venture that playing an iron like the SGI is more of an age thing, than a HC thing.  That is, I could picture my father-in-law in his 70s knocking the SGI irons down the fairway with light graphite shafts, and probably doing fine.  As I mentioned, I tried the SGI in the 5 and 6 irons, so I was using them at like 180-200 yards out with Steelfiber 95 shafts, and it was a failed experiment (47 years old). 

Now, in fairness to the SGI, I have never gotten along with the most SGI of SGI irons (Cleveland HB, Ping GMax and G700, PXG SGI, etc.).  I can get along fine with a true GI iron like the Ping G series, PXG XF, etc., but in the end, I seem to do best with smaller GI irons (or larger players' irons, depending on how it plays out).

Having never hit a PXG iron before this season, I have now played the 0211, Gen2 SGI, Gen2 XF, and Gen1 0311 (I guess today's P model).  And to be frank, I hit the 0211 and Gen1 0311 irons the best out of those.  I thought the Gen2 XF would be the ones for me, but I should have gone with the Gen2 P (and when I wanted to swap within the 30-day period, PXG had sold out of the LH Gen2 P heads).  In any case, these are all excellent irons, but they really cover different niches and needs, and they do perform differently.

What is PXG's 30 day policy?  is it return for credit on other clubs or is it a money back guarantee?

Ping 2023 Anser D

2 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

What is PXG's 30 day policy?  is it return for credit on other clubs or is it a money back guarantee?

I am sure the policy is on their website or you can call, but IIRC, it was full money back within 30 days no questions asked, or one free re-shaft with a comparable shaft.  So, you would not likely be able to re-shaft from a no upcharge shaft to an upcharge shaft (without perhaps paying some difference).  So, in my case, with Gen2 XF irons, instead of returning outright, I got a free re-shaft within my 30-day period (return shipping to PXG on me), but that was not the answer for me.  The XF are really great heads, but I couldn't get dialed in with them.  I have now learned I am more of a P guy, and should have just returned the XF irons outright but live and learn.

4 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I am sure the policy is on their website or you can call, but IIRC, it was full money back within 30 days no questions asked, or one free re-shaft with a comparable shaft.  So, you would not likely be able to re-shaft from a no upcharge shaft to an upcharge shaft (without perhaps paying some difference).  So, in my case, with Gen2 XF irons, instead of returning outright, I got a free re-shaft within my 30-day period (return shipping to PXG on me), but that was not the answer for me.  The XF are really great heads, but I couldn't get dialed in with them.  I have now learned I am more of a P guy, and should have just returned the XF irons outright but live and learn.

Gotcha

Did you get fitted or just order direct off their site?

According to their site it's 30 day money back guarantee but you lose out on the $60 shipping as well as have to pay a 15% restocking fee.  That's pretty steep when the irons are over $1k.  So essentially almost 20% lost if you return.  

I might order today but not sure what shaft to go with.

I currently play the Modus 105 Reg but don't want to incur the upcharge for that shaft, so I wanted to stick with the stock shafts (either the Elevate 95 Reg or MMT 70 Reg).

I normally carry my 7i around 145ish.  

Any idea which launches higher (Elevate or MMT)?  In looking on Golfworks they list the MMT as mid launching and the Elevate as mid/high.  

I need launch and spin.

Ping 2023 Anser D

13 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

Gotcha

Did you get fitted or just order direct off their site?

According to their site it's 30 day money back guarantee but you lose out on the $60 shipping as well as have to pay a 15% restocking fee.  That's pretty steep when the irons are over $1k.  So essentially almost 20% lost if you return.  

I might order today but not sure what shaft to go with.

I currently play the Modus 105 Reg but don't want to incur the upcharge for that shaft, so I wanted to stick with the stock shafts (either the Elevate 95 Reg or MMT 70 Reg).

I normally carry my 7i around 145ish.  

Any idea which launches higher (Elevate or MMT)?  In looking on Golfworks they list the MMT as mid launching and the Elevate as mid/high.  

I need launch and spin.

Ok, I forgot the 15% restocking fee with the 30-day return.  And the free re-shaft option is more of an unwritten benefit that you just need to know about (which you now do...). 

I did not get fit for the PXG's, but I have been fit on a couple of occasions, so I know my game.  That said, I have also been dealing with some elbow pain the past couple of seasons, so I have had to take that into account. 

You are going through the same process I did with my 0211 order back in March, with their no upcharge and upcharge shaft options, etc.  I ended up going with the Elevate 95, which was great for my joints, and is an excellent shaft, but was not ideal for me.  You can see from my sig, that I am playing Apex 19 irons with Elevate 105 Reg shafts.  I have NS Pro 950 Stiff shafts in my Gen1 0311 irons.  I am pretty convinced that if PXG offered the Elevate 105 shaft, that I would still be playing the 0211 irons today.  I just fit better into that 105g range, having previously been fit into Modus 105 and XP 105 shafts.  So, I hear you on the thought process. 

If you play the Modus 105 Reg, then you would likely do better with that shaft than the MMT 80 for example.  I read up a lot, and some people who play heavier shafts love the MMT 80, while others couldn't get along with it.  I wish I could have tried it, but I have simply never done well with 80g shafts, steel or graphite.  Who knows, they may have been money for me in the 0211 or Gen2 XF, or could have been a disaster. 

Anyway, good luck with all of this.  The limited no upcharge shaft options from PXG doesn't make the process easy.  They are especially lacking options in that 100-110 range that so many of us fit into.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Ok, I forgot the 15% restocking fee with the 30-day return.  And the free re-shaft option is more of an unwritten benefit that you just need to know about (which you now do...). 

I did not get fit for the PXG's, but I have been fit on a couple of occasions, so I know my game.  That said, I have also been dealing with some elbow pain the past couple of seasons, so I have had to take that into account. 

You are going through the same process I did with my 0211 order back in March, with their no upcharge and upcharge shaft options, etc.  I ended up going with the Elevate 95, which was great for my joints, and is an excellent shaft, but was not ideal for me.  You can see from my sig, that I am playing Apex 19 irons with Elevate 105 Reg shafts.  I have NS Pro 950 Stiff shafts in my Gen1 0311 irons.  I am pretty convinced that if PXG offered the Elevate 105 shaft, that I would still be playing the 0211 irons today.  I just fit better into that 105g range, having previously been fit into Modus 105 and XP 105 shafts.  So, I hear you on the thought process. 

If you play the Modus 105 Reg, then you would likely do better with that shaft than the MMT 80 for example.  I read up a lot, and some people who play heavier shafts love the MMT 80, while others couldn't get along with it.  I wish I could have tried it, but I have simply never done well with 80g shafts, steel or graphite.  Who knows, they may have been money for me in the 0211 or Gen2 XF, or could have been a disaster. 

Anyway, good luck with all of this.  The limited no upcharge shaft options from PXG doesn't make the process easy.  They are especially lacking options in that 100-110 range that so many of us fit into.

pulled the trigger. What the heck. Went with the SGI’s with elevate. I’m just not sold yet on graphite. Seem wild with it on the range. 

• Like 1

Ping 2023 Anser D