2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Good walking clubs in Philly area?

kb85873 ·  
kb85873kb85873  5WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 5

Hello all,

I was searching around the entire philly area and am looking for a private club to join that you are able to walk(not take a caddy but carry your own clubs at a good time? I understand that it might be difficult because nearly all courses limit walking to after 2-3 pm. I found bluestone has a good walking policy where you can walk on the weekends for the first three times and then after 2pm. Applebrook also has a good walking policy but both of these clubs are pricey. I’m young (26) and for me personally the top priority for me is to find a club where you can carry at a good time and affordable. I grew up walking and IMO I feel taking a cart takes away the enjoyment of the game. I know of many clubs in the area that you are able to walk in the morning but only with a caddy, which averages $80-100/round which is unaffordable for someone like me. 

Anyone out there that belongs to a club with a good walking policy or knows of any?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I know it might be difficult to find this but it would great to know of any information out there!

Posted:

Comments

• theebdktheebdk  439WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 439

Not sure if you consider Wilmington De as the Philly area. But at DuPont CC you can walk at any time and a healthy percentage of the members like me walk. Well most of us use push carts and there are no caddies. Also consider that DuPont just opened an indoor training facility with 6 trackman simulators and next golf season will open a huge driving range and short game practice area.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • NolesNoles  1559WRX Points: 203Members Posts: 1,559

My son played DuPont in an AJGA event and what a wonderful course that is. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. It was August and the greens were rock hard and beautifully fast. I didn't hit 1 shot for 5 days but loved every minute (aside from the anxiety of being a parent watching their child play).

Posted:
  • scottazscottaz  1983WRX Points: 191ClubWRX Posts: 1,983

Check out Indian Valley CC. You may be able to get a decent deal there at your age. It's a great walk with no restrictions. Just finishing some course renovations.

Posted:

Ping G400MAX 8.5 TPT 14 proto

Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Hzrdus tour black 105x

Callaway Apex 20 Fujikura pro 115x

Mizuno HMP PW-4 DG TI 100x

Vokey sm7 50f, 55f, 60k DG TI 100x

L.A.B Golf B.2 blade putter

• dankil13dankil13  69WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 69

Philmont has unrestricted walking. You can take a caddie, carry your bag or bring your own push cart. The course conditions were horrendous last summer/fall, but I'm sure you can get a great deal with the hopes that it comes back strong in the next year or so.

The club is owned by a PE firm (Concert) so no telling how long unrestricted walking will last. But it certain was the thing I will miss the most.

Posted:
  • tjcarsillotjcarsillo  7WRX Points: 10Members Posts: 7

Riverton CC in Cinnaminson NJ.

Posted:
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs) 583WRX Points: 70Handicap: 8Members Posts: 583

Merchantville allows walk and carry (or pushcart) at anytime and the majority of member rounds are walked.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • eagles1eagles1  1305WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 1,305

Old York Country Club in Chesterfield, NJ.

Posted:

I wouldn't consider this the Philly area. Regardless, not a fan of the course at all. I knew I wouldn't like it when the first hole had a hazard down the entire right side, OB down the right and a strip of rough down the middle of the fairway. Why penalize someone for hitting the center of the fairway? It only got worse from there.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • woofelfinwoofelfin  354WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 354
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.