GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

MEMBER REVIEWS: Golf Sply Perfect Practice Putting Mat! See What Members Are Saying!

knudson81 ·  
knudson81knudson81 My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50Marshals, Media Staffer  3328WRX Points: 362Posts: 3,328 Marshals
Joined:  edited Feb 28, 2020 3:36pm in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment #1

Golf Sply and GolfWRX are helping golfers improve our putting with their Perfect Practice Putting Mat. Take a look at the reviews from the members who are testing out the Perfect Practice mat and feel free to ask them any questions you have. The Perfect Practice Putting Mat is also a great gift for the golfer on your holiday list! The testers are...

@schwollo

@MaineMariner

@CTSpinDoctor

@brianhorne8

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Golf Sply for putting on this testing event!

Posted:
Make sure to follow the TG2 podcast!

Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

tg2_badgeV2_125.jpg
Post edited by knudson81 on

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CTSpinDoctorCTSpinDoctor Members  593WRX Points: 53Handicap: BadPosts: 593 Golden Tee

Saving my spot for the review!

Posted:
    Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
    Ping G400 16.5* Project X 8b4
    Ping G400 3H Ping 94Hx
    Miura MB001 4-P Project X 6.5
    Titleist Sm7 52f 56m 60m Project X 6.5
    Ping Heppler ZB3
    ProV1x
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8 Members  1609WRX Points: 195Posts: 1,609 Platinum Tees

I may try to drop some photos in here, but the guys who have gone before me have done such a great job with photos that I'm not sure if my adding to it will make a big difference. Anyway, on with the review!

First off, a HUGE thanks to Golf Sply and GolfWRX for getting us hooked up with these mats. By the time the contest had closed, we were under a foot of snow in Denver and I was itching to do something golf related. I like to putt in the common area hallway of our apartment building, and while the carpet rolls at a fair consistent speed (and probably a 13+) it's not exactly the truest surface out there. I'd thought about putting mat for a long time, but living in 500 sq feet with a two year old and a dog makes that proposition seem pretty laughable, which is why I was so excited when I'd found out I won. I'm going to keep it short and sweet, because there were really two things that mattered to me and intrigued me about it.

LOOKS/BUILD

The mat came neatly packaged and I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it flattened itself out. It's a pretty compact package, and for someone who lives in an apartment where space is a priority, it'll actually make sense for storage. I'm excited to say that I won't have any trouble finding a home to tuck this out of sight when I'm not using it! It's easy to move around, which will make getting it in and out of the hallway really simple as well, and I think it might even just be the right size to use in our apartment, which was a big downside to some of the mats I was looking at. I hadn't putted on a Birdie Ball before a few weeks ago, but the one I did get to use just did not seem to be in great shape. I'm confident that the tightness of the weave of this mat is going to hold up to a lot of abuse. The backing on it is really heavy weight, and I don't see it bunching or giving me issues moving around if the dog or kid happens to be "playing through" in our house. The only thing I could see being an issue is the ball return track, and the only reason I say that is that it's just loosely laid on the side of the mat, so if it gets bumped it could fall out of line with the rest of the track...but I don't think my use case is even remotely in the same ballpark as a lot of other folks. Also, as others have noted, the return is a little slow and can get hung up in the back once in a while, but I've not really gotten frustrated with that and just walk down and give the ball a nudge if it gets stuck. I will say the choice to use wood for the non-mat parts, and particularly the cherry color, will make it a nice addition to an office. The total package is just really nice to look at.

PUTTING

This is what the product really exists for. If it seems well built but is crap for putting, then why bother? Fortunately it delivers the goods here.

It's not the same construction as a Birdie Ball or some other foam mats (it's a tightly woven carpet that's printed to look like grass), but it's so heavy weight that it rolls extremely true. I'm not a stimp expert so I don't even know if my initial assessment of our hallway carpet is accurate, but I think it's the mat is as fast, if not faster than, that...without all the nearly invisible breaks that 50+ years of walking over it present. I love the lines that run down the length of the mat to the holes and really help you know you've rolled it on-line. This couldn't have arrived at a better time, since I'm coming off of my worst putting season in years and just went from a blade to a mallet, because I need all the good and consistent practice I can get. I actually really like the ramp at the top too, because if the ball misses and doesn't make it to the back return area, it's coming back down the hill and right back to where it started. I've probably rolled putts on this for a couple of hours at this point and while hitting things in a straight line is no substitute for an actual putting green, knowing things are going in the direction you've intended them to go is a huge confidence boost for what's a pretty fragile headspace right now. Time will obviously tell how it translates to the course, but I'm liking where I feel like I'm going to be heading, and this tool will definitely be a part of my (hopeful) success. And speaking of confidence:

The addition of the smaller hole to the right is such a great idea. Draining putts in the center of that one makes the regulation size cup to the left seem enormous! The real boost of confidence comes from knowing that something that didn't fall on the edge of the little cup is still inside the edge of the bigger cup, so you know it's falling if your pace is right when you're on the course. I've almost exclusively putted to the right side, and when I looked over at the left side a little bit ago as I was thinking about this, all I could do is laugh.

SUMMARY

In sum, I really wasn't sure what this mat would be like, but it's going to defy the odds and be something that's useable in and around our apartment, and that's a big win. The quality is definitely there, the two hole sizes are a big boost to my fragile confidence, and the practicality of the packaging means it'll be something I use nearly daily. Once again, a big thanks to Golf Sply and GolfWRX for getting these to us so quickly. If you're on the fence about a mat, this one's definitely worth your attention.

Posted:
    Post edited by brianhorne8 on
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers  1134WRX Points: 173Handicap: 1Posts: 1,134 Platinum Tees

I so wanted to win this. long winters and my mat has been mangled by the wife and the dogs. Have fun and if you're bored with it, send it to me !

Posted:
  • getair23getair23 Members  2314WRX Points: 426Posts: 2,314 Platinum Tees

Looks like you lucky fellas got the last four. I went to order one for Christmas, and they are sold out until next year. This would be a perfect addition to my home office. Congrats guys, looking forward to the reviews and updates!

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
    Cobra F6 Baffler Elements Chrome 70-x
    Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
    Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
    Callaway PM Grind 64*
    SC Studio Design no. 2
    Pro V1
  • schwolloschwollo Members  1291WRX Points: 124Posts: 1,291 Platinum Tees

Wow @MaineMariner that’s a **** of an in depth review. I’ll skip some of the details you covered.

Being in Texas where golf is a year round sport, I thought I didn’t really need an indoor putting mat but now I realize how much I do. I have kids all under 12 so squeezing in practice time is tough and when I get a chance to, putting is the last thing I do (I’m a pretty good putter if I do say so myself). All that being said, I’ve been using this mat daily for the past three days and I didn’t know how much I’d enjoy using an inside mat. As Maine said, the roll is true except with those shorter putts (I felt like I really had to mash it to get it up the incline). That aside, using a premarked putting mat lets me know in aimed correctly

Pardon the feet.

I really enjoy using the smaller hole on the right.

One round a few years back, I warmed up on a putting green that utilized those tiny holes and that round I putt lights out so practicing on this small hole makes the regulation sized hole look huge.

Also like Maine, I use the Putt Out trainer as a way to switch things up and when I miss it usually rolls back to my feet which is great.

The ball return system works, although it’s a little slow but it gets the job done. I can usually get another putt in while I wait for the first ball (can’t get video to load for some reason.

Also like Maine said, storage is a breeze which makes my wife very happy. I leave the mat out and my kids who don’t play golf like to fiddle around with it so maybe there’s a chance I get a junior golfer in the family!

Thanks again to Golfwrx and golfsply for the chance to test the mat. I think 2020 is going to be a great year golfing wise since I can get some practice in around the house now!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  846WRX Points: 538Posts: 846 Golden Tee

I was avoiding doing work when I wrote my review, I don't think everyone needs that much detail!

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion driver
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrids
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Ping Heppler ZB3
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8 Members  1609WRX Points: 195Posts: 1,609 Platinum Tees

Great reviews, guys. Can't wait to roll some putts next week.

Posted:
  • fccplayerfccplayer Winston-Salem, NCMembers  96WRX Points: 82Posts: 96 Fairways

How is the mat attached to the wooden ramp? Any opinions on removing the ramp without damaging the mat?

I really don’t like ramps or auto returns, but the mat looks interesting.

thanks

Posted:
  • tj7644tj7644 Members  273WRX Points: 85Handicap: 7.3Posts: 273 Greens

Love the review @MaineMariner. Thank you!!

Posted:
    Callaway Epic
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, 3+
    Callaway Apex hybrid, 20 deg
    Callaway '19 Apex Pro, 5-AW
    Callaway MD4, 54, 58, 60
    Odyssey Tank O works #1
  • schwolloschwollo Members  1291WRX Points: 124Posts: 1,291 Platinum Tees

@fccplayer its attached with glue so you could just pull it off. Very nice mat been using mine for a week now.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • longgolferlonggolfer Members  30WRX Points: 53Posts: 30 Bunkers

All mats should have perpendicular lines for aiming the club face.

Posted:
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  846WRX Points: 538Posts: 846 Golden Tee

Update: still use this thing every day, still really like it.

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion driver
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrids
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Ping Heppler ZB3
  • vpexpvpexp Members  96WRX Points: 117Posts: 96 Fairways

Cant wait to get one!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.