MEMBER REVIEWS: Golf Sply Perfect Practice Putting Mat! See What Members Are Saying!

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/510/YDPDVZ8L5L7P.png[/img]
Golf Sply and GolfWRX are helping golfers improve our putting with their Perfect Practice Putting Mat. Take a look at the reviews from the members who are testing out the Perfect Practice mat and feel free to ask them any questions you have. The Perfect Practice Putting Mat is also a great gift for the golfer on your holiday list! The testers are...
@schwollo @MaineMariner @CTSpinDoctor @brianhorne8

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Golf Sply for putting on this testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I may try to drop some photos in here, but the guys who have gone before me have done such a great job with photos that I'm not sure if my adding to it will make a big difference. Anyway, on with the review!

First off, a HUGE thanks to Golf Sply and GolfWRX for getting us hooked up with these mats. By the time the contest had closed, we were under a foot of snow in Denver and I was itching to do something golf related. I like to putt in the common area hallway of our apartment building, and while the carpet rolls at a fair consistent speed (and probably a 13+) it's not exactly the truest surface out there. I'd thought about putting mat for a long time, but living in 500 sq feet with a two year old and a dog makes that proposition seem pretty laughable, which is why I was so excited when I'd found out I won. I'm going to keep it short and sweet, because there were really two things that mattered to me and intrigued me about it.LOOKS/BUILD

The mat came neatly packaged and I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it flattened itself out. It's a pretty compact package, and for someone who lives in an apartment where space is a priority, it'll actually make sense for storage. I'm excited to say that I won't have any trouble finding a home to tuck this out of sight when I'm not using it! It's easy to move around, which will make getting it in and out of the hallway really simple as well, and I think it might even just be the right size to use in our apartment, which was a big downside to some of the mats I was looking at. I hadn't putted on a Birdie Ball before a few weeks ago, but the one I did get to use just did not seem to be in great shape. I'm confident that the tightness of the weave of this mat is going to hold up to a lot of abuse. The backing on it is really heavy weight, and I don't see it bunching or giving me issues moving around if the dog or kid happens to be "playing through" in our house. The only thing I could see being an issue is the ball return track, and the only reason I say that is that it's just loosely laid on the side of the mat, so if it gets bumped it could fall out of line with the rest of the track...but I don't think my use case is even remotely in the same ballpark as a lot of other folks. Also, as others have noted, the return is a little slow and can get hung up in the back once in a while, but I've not really gotten frustrated with that and just walk down and give the ball a nudge if it gets stuck. I will say the choice to use wood for the non-mat parts, and particularly the cherry color, will make it a nice addition to an office. The total package is just really nice to look at.PUTTING

This is what the product really exists for. If it seems well built but is crap for putting, then why bother? Fortunately it delivers the goods here.

It's not the same construction as a Birdie Ball or some other foam mats (it's a tightly woven carpet that's printed to look like grass), but it's so heavy weight that it rolls extremely true. I'm not a stimp expert so I don't even know if my initial assessment of our hallway carpet is accurate, but I think it's the mat is as fast, if not faster than, that...without all the nearly invisible breaks that 50+ years of walking over it present. I love the lines that run down the length of the mat to the holes and really help you know you've rolled it on-line. This couldn't have arrived at a better time, since I'm coming off of my worst putting season in years and just went from a blade to a mallet, because I need all the good and consistent practice I can get. I actually really like the ramp at the top too, because if the ball misses and doesn't make it to the back return area, it's coming back down the hill and right back to where it started. I've probably rolled putts on this for a couple of hours at this point and while hitting things in a straight line is no substitute for an actual putting green, knowing things are going in the direction you've intended them to go is a huge confidence boost for what's a pretty fragile headspace right now. Time will obviously tell how it translates to the course, but I'm liking where I feel like I'm going to be heading, and this tool will definitely be a part of my (hopeful) success. And speaking of confidence:

The addition of the smaller hole to the right is such a great idea. Draining putts in the center of that one makes the regulation size cup to the left seem enormous! The real boost of confidence comes from knowing that something that didn't fall on the edge of the little cup is still inside the edge of the bigger cup, so you know it's falling if your pace is right when you're on the course. I've almost exclusively putted to the right side, and when I looked over at the left side a little bit ago as I was thinking about this, all I could do is laugh. SUMMARY

In sum, I really wasn't sure what this mat would be like, but it's going to defy the odds and be something that's useable in and around our apartment, and that's a big win. The quality is definitely there, the two hole sizes are a big boost to my fragile confidence, and the practicality of the packaging means it'll be something I use nearly daily. Once again, a big thanks to Golf Sply and GolfWRX for getting these to us so quickly. If you're on the fence about a mat, this one's definitely worth your attention.

Looks like you lucky fellas got the last four. I went to order one for Christmas, and they are sold out until next year. This would be a perfect addition to my home office. Congrats guys, looking forward to the reviews and updates!

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

Wow @MaineMariner that’s a hell of an in depth review. I’ll skip some of the details you covered.
Being in Texas where golf is a year round sport, I thought I didn’t really need an indoor putting mat but now I realize how much I do. I have kids all under 12 so squeezing in practice time is tough and when I get a chance to, putting is the last thing I do (I’m a pretty good putter if I do say so myself). All that being said, I’ve been using this mat daily for the past three days and I didn’t know how much I’d enjoy using an inside mat. As Maine said, the roll is true except with those shorter putts (I felt like I really had to mash it to get it up the incline). That aside, using a premarked putting mat lets me know in aimed correctly
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/288/JJT8CHKAUAB2.jpeg[/img] Pardon the feet.
I really enjoy using the smaller hole on the right.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/237/LAJBXI8K1O6C.jpeg[/img]
One round a few years back, I warmed up on a putting green that utilized those tiny holes and that round I putt lights out so practicing on this small hole makes the regulation sized hole look huge.
Also like Maine, I use the Putt Out trainer as a way to switch things up and when I miss it usually rolls back to my feet which is great.
The ball return system works, although it’s a little slow but it gets the job done. I can usually get another putt in while I wait for the first ball (can’t get video to load for some reason.
Also like Maine said, storage is a breeze which makes my wife very happy. I leave the mat out and my kids who don’t play golf like to fiddle around with it so maybe there’s a chance I get a junior golfer in the family!
Thanks again to Golfwrx and golfsply for the chance to test the mat. I think 2020 is going to be a great year golfing wise since I can get some practice in around the house now!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I got a Perfect Practice putting mat for Christmas and I really do like it.  I love being able to practice putting at home whenever I want.  I have it set up in our main hallway and my wife LOVES it too 🙂  Its great to knock a few 6 footers down on my way to/from the garage.  

I have noticed that the mat itself isn't the straightest.  I've had to use a laser level to make sure my line is perfectly straight, and tape the mat to my wood floors to ensure it doesn't move.  After doing this, it has been much better.

This putting mat does all the good things great, but I do have a few issues that I'd like to point out.

I only use the left side (bigger hole) because its the only side that will roll totally straight.  I have tried using the right side (small hole) but 1/2 way to the hole, the ball ends up taking a left into the big hole.  I have moved the mat to multiple spots, and turned it around, and I still get the same thing.

Another thing, the ramp that starts the incline is not a very smooth transition.  The ball hits the wood underneath the mat as it starts uphill and it will sometimes throw it off line.  Every now and then Ill have the ball hop a little bit.  

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with these issues.  What have you all done to remedy this?  Is there something you'd recommend to put underneath the mat up against the wood to smooth it out?  

• 1 month later...

Anyone having issues with the ball returning? I've been using the smaller hole and find balls frequently stuck in the corner. Checked the floor level and it's nearly flat. If anything it tilts 0.1* towards the opening which should help the balls roll back.

IMG_4917.JPG.8cac40cd4fb84e6ac255f1d8ecc948f6.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG.42557b0c9d9dc6ae546ab2d5e2d27719.JPG

IMG_4919.PNG.05eda73a52ea985e167510ed2ffa76fc.PNG

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 🔸🔸🔸 LS 9.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52.09 - Project X 6.5

Taylormade MG3 56.12; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60* - Project X 6.0

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid