Tell me about your magic 3 wood

Valtiel

For those of you out there lucky enough to have found your "Stenson", what made it so special? You have aesthetics, sound/feel, spin, distance, maybe even the shaft? Share your magic with us!

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I don't know how or why, but this year I found a pair of Wilson Staff Fybrids, 15 3w and 18 5w degree and put them into play. Each had a stock, made-for proforce V2 in regular flex (when my irons are stiff and driver X)... but somehow the combo just works in both clubs. The 3 wood is a magic wand off the tee, and is the first 3 wood I can hit reliably off the deck. First off the deck use was a blind 240 yard par 5 attempt which ended up on the fringe for an easy birdie. It's been in the bag pretty much ever since.

Only thing I'm wondering is if I can find a stiff version for cheap...

Taylormade OO/Tensei Pro Blue. Absolutely awesome.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Diablo edge tour is the best I've ever had. Easy and steady. Sold it when I was 16 because I'm bored of it (stupidest thing ever). The x hot pro is very long, even longer than my old DET but not as easy to hit. Now I just got DIablo octane tour (stenson old one) with great price. wish it performs like my old DET.

My 915Fd is never going anywhere! Played Golf for 20+ years and never had a three wood that I was completely comfortable with. Went for a time without and had a 5 wood in there instead but eventually came across the Fd. The crazy thing is that I never even hit it before buying it. Was at the point of being fed up with the 3 wood that I did have in the bag, had some vouchers on my account in the Pro Shop and thought why not. Probably the best decision that I have ever made without having really tested the club at all.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Interesting, I am in the same place with the same club right now. I've been doing a bunch of testing and picked up a 915FD 3 wood head on a whim and it has beaten everything so far. It just seems to tick all the boxes for me; looks perfect at address, feels and sounds really good, is very fast, and most importantly is hitting a perfect spin window for me. I need to be able to work my 3w right to left and with my miss being slightly out on the toe, many other "long" woods will drop way too much spin and get wild. The 915FD lives in a great window on perfect shots and doesn't get crazy on me with those slightly toe-y draws. Normally with all of that I would expect to be compromising somewhere, but it is also consistently longer than anything else I have tried. I'm still testing but so far the 915FD has come out clearly ahead both outdoors and on GC2.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Cool to hear that, hopefully it continues to work out for you. Definitely a sleeper of a club, really long off the tee but more than usable off the deck when required.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

It was the XR Pro with the stock PX LZ 76 Red. Until it broke at the hosel and Callaway replaced it with the XR'16 Pro that had a completely different shaft, sat super shut, and didn't feel nearly as hot. I promptly returned it to the store for some credit and have basically been a strictly 5-wood only player for the last 3 seasons as I haven't found a 3 wood that I hit consistently longer than a 5 wood, and definitely not as straight. My winter is devoted to finding a Stenson.

I have heard really good things about the Cobra stuff from 2020 from a couple people who have hit it so I have some tenative orders placed once the reps get me the demos.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Uhm…. Haven't had a 3-wood in my bag for a year. Found I couldn't hit it anymore. Thing is, I love my 5-wood and now my 7-wood is the most trusty worthy club in my bag behind my putter and driver. Been thinking of cutting down the 3-wood and seeing if that improves anything. Other than the lofts and shaft length, they should be technically the same to hit, no? I'm thinking shaft length has more to do with mis-hitting than face loft, so I'll see if shorter shaft improves my hit-ability of the 3-wood.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

So far, my Tour issue 2016 M1 with a Diamana Blue 70x in there has been the best I've used, especially considering how cheap I got it for. It plays to 16* loft in stock set up but I'm considering lofting it up to 16.5* and maybe pushing the toe weights out toward the toe a little bit to get just a touch more height on it. It produces a pretty flat flight so it's excellent off the tee.

Original Xhot w/ a OG Diamana Blueboard 73xct.

Great feel, Rocket off the tee, nearly as long as my driver. Great from the deck.

Love the muted sound as well.

Sadly, I don't quite have the swing speed anymore, so I moved to a Rogue 4 wood, which is great, but not quite the same, and the 3 spends most of it's time in the garage except for certain courses.

Damn, now I'm going to have to take it to the range again........

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

2015 TM M2 with AD DJ 7x. Bought the shaft and head separately and when I got the shaft in I measured it and figured out it was tipped 1.5". I decided to build it anyway and it's been my favorite club in the bag ever since. It feels like the ball just explodes off the face every time I hit it anywhere near the middle and when I center it it just melts off the club. I can't tell you how many times I've had people say to me "why would you ever hit your driver when you hit that club like that?". One of the first rounds I had it out I lipped out for Albatross from 307 yards (downwind, firm course) and that's a shot I'll remember forever.

I even tried to build a backup to the same specs just in case something happened to this one and the results weren't the same. I'd have some good shots with the backup but nowhere near what I was seeing with the original. It's terrifying to think that someday the club face will cave or the shaft will snap and I'll have to replace it somehow. I'll probably have it shadowboxed and mounted on my wall so I can build a small shrine around it.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Adams Tight Lies (2014? version). 16 degrees of loft so I suppose it's more of a 4-wood than a 3-wood. It keeps making its way back into the bag.

It's the shallow face and upside-down sole. I fight a steep swing and when that comes to a deeper-faced 3-wood, my miss is an awful worm-burner that goes nowhere. When I get too steep with the Tight Lies, I just end up pinching the ball and hitting a high shot that goes slightly shorter than a good strike.

The shape of the club means you can use it from virtually any lie. I use it out of the rough, out of fairway bunkers, and out of tight lies (obviously).

It's probably not the longest club, but it's an automatic 200+ yards, even on mishits. Good strikes go about 230. It's great that I can hit a more powerful 3-wood 240, but... the mishits might only go 75-100 yards. And the mishits are much more frequent.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

The one that used to be my magic 3 wood was a 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid (original grey one) with an 86g Proforce V2 stiff flex shaft. I think I played it at 42". It was very reliable off the deck going into greens for longer shots. I could hit it high and low when I needed. For some reason I thought I needed a longer 3 wood for shots off the tee, so I stupidly got rid of it for various 3 woods over the years.

Nothing could compare to the 15* XTD until I found my Cobra F6 Baffler. I have it with a Speeder 8.3 stiff shaft at 41.75". The ball speed I get with it is right up there with newer 3 woods that I have recently tried. The rails really work for me off the deck, and it is a reliable club off the tee. I'm currently playing it at 17.5* with the heavy weight forward, but played most of last summer with it set at 16.5* and the heavy weight back. Numbers are very similar between the 2 settings, but the 17.5* setting is more consistent off the deck.

Still don't feel like I hit it as good as my old XTD, but that could be my mind telling me that more than my golf game. I have some really fond memories of some shots that I've hit really close with XTD.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

TaylorMade SLDR HL 17 degree with stock speeder 55 stiff flex shaft. Thing just goes for me when I remember to swing calm and correctly and let it do its thing. I am not a bomber by any means (Driver is 240-250) and I can put this off the deck 220 with regularity. I have always had a hate relationship to 3 woods but I love this one.

Nothing magic, but the Tour Edge Exotic CBX 119 three wood is a solid performer

from the fairway and the tee. It is a no nonsense fairway wood, great size, versatile,

delivers both distance and workability. Its an excellent addition to my bag

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Originally it was a 2017 M1.. but it was a little feast or famine. Then, found a SLDR 5 wood with an old Accra XT70 shaft that was lights out. I went on eBay after several cold ones, found a SLDR 3 wood head and somehow got another Accra XT70 shaft pulled from a 3 wood. It is long off the tee or fairway, great flight, and just flat out performs consistently.

so I found mine through beer and the used bin.

I have always been in search of the "magic 3 wood" you hear about. Gone through 5 or so (410, GBB, Rouge SZ, etc.) over the last few years and never had one that stuck. Just put a tour issue M3 w/ 70g Silver Aldila Rouge 130 MSI in it and this thing is a bomber. I am really hoping it isnt a honey moon phase and this one will be what I have been looking for.