Is One Brand OCD a Thing?

IamMarkMac ·  
IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay Area 747WRX Points: 248Handicap: 10Members Posts: 747

So through my 30 years of this game, I've always felt this preference of having as much of my bag match as possible. It was really just a preference as although I could feel a slight disappointment that say my woods and irons weren't from one manufacturer, it didn't stop me from buying what worked. The only way my preference manifested concretely was that I wouldn't buy say, a Callaway bag, unless I had Callaway woods and irons. I also felt slightly disturbed by my playing partner's bag as he had a Ping brand bag while using TaylorMade irons and Callaway woods (I played with that guy all through college). Again, I was aware of this preference for a long time but it didn't really stop my equipment purchases and it wasn't something I couldn't just ignore.

This year though, it somehow has magnified and I'm literally feeling off-put when I look at my bag and its mismatch of brands. When I look at the bag, I can't overcome the thought that it looks terrible because they don't match.

It's come to a head now as, on vacation, I rented a Callaway set and was super pleased with it. At which point I had this icky, "hair stand on the back of my head" moment when I pulled out the Titleist balls at the first tee. That was the final straw as I play Titleist balls regularly, almost exclusively for 15 years. It was such a bother that I bought a sleeve of Callaway balls to stop the thoughts in the back of my head.

I've seen quite a few "single manufacturer" threads so I know people think about going with a single brand but maybe that's just a preference. I wonder if anyone else has the strong negative reaction that I feel is growing rapidly in my head. I'm also wondering if it's cheaper to buy a new bag or go to a shrink...

Posted:
Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comments

• rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter  305WRX Points: 106Members Posts: 305

Of course brand OCD is a thing. It makes sense, and having a matching bag is similar to a matching outfit.

That being said, it can hurt you to be toooooo OCD about everything (like a matching putter and balls perhaps). That being said, if you are looking to change, and are looking to have a complete matching bag - go with Titleist: they have the best quality in an 'everything' package. A close second would be Callaway.

Don't think about it too much lol. Go with your gut and what you desire.

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2362WRX Points: 784Members Posts: 2,362

Definitely a thing as us having a bag that doesn’t clash with the headcovers. There’s nothing wrong with it. With the number of offerings in shafts and heads one can get fit into a full bag from one brand.

Posted:
  • Tim SherwoodTim Sherwood  391WRX Points: 119Handicap: HighMembers Posts: 391

I don't mind having a bag where there's a mix of manufactures (although my bag is now all Srixon except wedges and putter, as their gear just works for me), however I cannot stand having a bag that is branded and having none of that OEM's clubs in it. I recently had to buy an off brand bag as I couldn't bring myself to put zero Taylormade clubs in a Taylormade bag. Finding a clean, almost unbranded bag wasn't easy though.

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5721WRX Points: 1,180Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,721

It’s something that I have thought about and I definitely believe that I have OCD when it comes to my bag.

I am all Titleist everything. My being a Titleist guy goes back to when I was barely even a teenager. Tiger had a Scotty putter and a 975D driver. I wanted them and from there, over time, everything became all Titleist everything and everything in the bag has to match. There are plenty of other headcovers that I could have bought for my clubs but because they aren’t black, white and red, I simply wouldn’t go near them. I even mark my ball with one black dot above the number and red dot below the number. I know it’s weird but I am OK with it. If anything, I feel more confident using Titleist and at the end of the day, confidence is a huge factor in golf so I can’t see my changing any time soon...well apart from my AP2’s which will shortly be switched for T100’s.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • tannyhobantannyhoban  2043WRX Points: 334Members Posts: 2,043

Yes it is definitely a thing. It is fun to tempt those who have this with another brand. Just to plant that seed..

Posted:
  • ian-500ian-500  1036WRX Points: 276Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,036

Had a smile on my face reading the op. Love it. I'd have one manufacturers set up if money was no object, as I like everything to match too, but it'll have to stay as Epon irons/wedges and TM woods/hybrids for the time being. My Callaway bag just looks wrong though......

Posted:
    DR: Taylormade Original One 11.5* + Tensei CK Pro Blue 80tx.
    FW or HY: in the making.
    Epon AF-Tour 5i - PW + OT Tour 120x.
    Epon 208 KGX 53/59 + OT Tour 110x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.

Advertisement
  • NJGolfer0624NJGolfer0624  265WRX Points: 111Members Posts: 265

I don't think it's a thing.

I need to go put away my Titleist bag now with 14 Titleist clubs and ProV1X's before my wife yells at me.

Ok, so it's a thing.

Nothing wrong with it. :)

Posted:
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYC 2026WRX Points: 222Handicap: ~10Members Posts: 2,026

For me, no. It’s not.

This last year was the first time I ever had less than 4 brands in my bag, and I ended up going all Titleist.

Why do I like it? I love the look. It’s very pro. Make no mistake, this doesn’t mean I think I’m a pro golfer, but I like the feel of my bag right now, and I’ve knocked 3 off my handicap this year.

The other thing going one brand has done is limit the “BST Hoing”. Now, I can only even consider buying or swapping for titleist best, and I’m less inclined buy/swap for one of every new driver etc to demo.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 917F2 - 14.25* - Diamana LTE S+
    Titleist U510 1 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron - KBS C-Taper
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-7 iron - DG AMT
    Titleist 718 AP2 8-GW - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist WedgeWorks V-Grind 54* - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist Spin Milled 58.12 - DG Tour Issue
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist Pro V1x, Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5354WRX Points: 457Handicap: 4Members Posts: 5,354

Life is to short , get help . Go buy something, that mis- matches

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • bluedotbluedot  3618WRX Points: 337Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 3,618

I don't think brand loyalty is an OCD thing, and I say that as somebody with a healthy dose of OCD. I'm loyal to Toyotas, for instance, because I know what I'm getting, what they'll do, and that the company stands behind their product.

I don't see brand loyalty to particular brand of golf clubs as any different, and like cars, it's awfully expensive to experiment with other stuff at the risk of finding out that you bought a lemon, or that the company doesn't stand behind their product.

Posted:
  • macedanmacedan  407WRX Points: 127Handicap: 18Members Posts: 407

For me, it is kind of creeping in. I have never had a one brand bag....but I am in the process of starting one lol. Since I really took up playing about 3 years ago on average my bag consisted of approximately 4 brands at a time, at most before my two recent bag changes I played 5 brands( My M2'17 replaced a G400 and my MG 54* replaced a Vokey SM5 M Grind). I like the idea of a one brand bag and am moving towards it, but I don't feel revolted by the sight of multiple brands in a bag or bag/club brands not matching.

My dad, on the other hand, won't even take a look at a club if isn't Ping. Current Bag Set-up for him:

Driver: Ping G 9*. 3W: Ping G5 15* 3H: Ping G5 4-PW: G-30 GW: 50* Glide 2.0. SW: Callaway MD3 54*. LW: Coming at Christmas 58* Glide 2.0

Shockingly he's actually a fan of the MD3 but I know he would love to replace it and probably with a Glide 2.0 to match.

Which also makes me wonder, is brand OCD more or less prevalent than Wedge OCD (i.e. all SM7's or MD5's etc.)

Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 '17 10.5*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 16*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Taylormade Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover
    Cart: TGW Players 

Advertisement
  • Z4Z3RZ4Z3R Golfing Guy's Guy Cleveland, OH 129WRX Points: 92Members Posts: 129

Be your own brand!

Which may still be all Titleist!

I find I'm more brand loyal to specific slots in the bag. Always liked Callaway woods, always liked vokey wedges and swap irons way too often.

Posted:
    What's in the Quiver (subject to rapid change)

Callaway Epic 10.5//GD IZ 6x
    Callaway GBB 3w//PX HZRDUS YELLOW 75g 6.5
    Callaway XR 5w//PX HZRDUS YELLOW 85g 6.5 
    Callaway Apex 4h//PX HZRDUS BLACK 85g 6.5
    Miura MB 101 5-P//PX 6.0
    Vokey Raw SM7 50F, 56F, 60M//DG TI S400
    Scotty Cameron T22 Fastback 1.5
    ProV1
  • SuperbritSuperbrit  584WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 584

Not necessarily the same brand for everything, but...

My 3w and 5w have to match my driver manufacturer, its just weird if they dont

My gap wedge has to match my irons, but my other 2 wedges don't,

I could never have say a Taylormade driver with callaway irons, thats just wrong

If i had Titleist driver or irons, everything else would have to be Titleist, unless it was Vokey wedges, i could have any other clubs with them

So for me it depends on the manufacturer

Maybe im just a tad weird

Posted:

Taylormade M5 9.0* (down to 7.5)
    Taylormade M6 Rocket 14
    3 wood
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood
    Adams DHY 21* (actual loft 22)
    Honma TW717V irons 5-PW (Bent 1
    weaker)
    Honma TW forged 50* (bent to 51)
    Cleveland RTX4 RAW 54/60
    (54* bent to 55*)
    Machine putter

• gators78gators78  3995WRX Points: 197Handicap: 3ClubWRX Posts: 3,995

First I'd see if that matching bag belongs to the pro, assistant pro, or any rep. Assuming it doesn't belong to someone making a career in the game, a completely matching bag is a dead giveaway to bet the guy as much as possible because he's trying to look at lot better than he is. Might as well go to the poker table and play your cards face up.

Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    MP20 MMC 4 Iron
    MP20 MB 5-W
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Exo Strokelab Mini #7
  • macedanmacedan  407WRX Points: 127Handicap: 18Members Posts: 407

Or they simply just have a brand bias? I've played with just as many hi-caps whose bag is scattered all over the place compared to one brand through.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 '17 10.5*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 16*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Taylormade Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover
    Cart: TGW Players 
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYC 2026WRX Points: 222Handicap: ~10Members Posts: 2,026

I'm sorry... but there are a lot of reasons someone would bag all the same brand and not be pro, and while "trying to look better than they are" could be one of those reasons, its far more likely there is another motive. Maybe they went to a fitting of a specific manufacturer. Maybe they grew up playing a certain brand. Maybe they are, in fact, OCD. Maybe they like the clean look of a matching set. Or they "know a guy" that has an account and gets a discount. Or they want a consistent feel and believe one brand gives them that.

Equipment these days, across the board, is more similar than different.

So while you may feel it is narcissistic/self-promoting to bag one brand, true narcissism is thinking other act solely to impress you or the people around them.

This is the same ridiculous argument people make against amateurs carrying a staff bag. People typically spend their money to make themselves happy, and every self-proclaimed "single-digits" that went on to shoot 94 in front of me had multiple manufacturers in their off-brand carry bag...

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 917F2 - 14.25* - Diamana LTE S+
    Titleist U510 1 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron - KBS C-Taper
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-7 iron - DG AMT
    Titleist 718 AP2 8-GW - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist WedgeWorks V-Grind 54* - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist Spin Milled 58.12 - DG Tour Issue
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist Pro V1x, Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2  31325WRX Points: 534Members Posts: 31,325

I can go with different manufacturers, however all the head covers have to match. :-)

Posted:
  • pheenomz4774pheenomz4774  956WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 956

Brand OCD is a thing for me. I sometimes don't, but when I found a manufacturer I liked I tend to go all-in. For me its not about being looking like anything to anybody else, it's a trust in a company that's engineered their own products to match feel, gapping, etc throughout their own bag.

Most manufacturers's have several options in every spot in the bag, so while it may have been true in the past, it's very hard to not find a type of club you want within a single OEM. If I was truly "min/maxing" to squeeze every possible yard and spin rate, I'd probably have several different brands in the bag. For how much I play, that chore seems way too exhausting to sift through, and so I found a manufacturer that got me "close enough" knowing my actual golf scores won't differ so much.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 9° Diamana Blueboard 60s
    Fairway: Ping G410 14.5° Tensei Orange 70s
    Hybrids: Ping G410 19° and 22° Tensei Blue 80s
    Irons: Ping iBlade 5-9 (power spec)/PW Modus 120s
    Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 52°SS, 56°WS, 60°TS 
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Ball: Still searching
  • JStangJStang  2670WRX Points: 284Handicap: 7.1Members Posts: 2,670

For me, its' more brand loyalty / brand preference than anything. I always seem to make my way back to an all Titleist bag no matter how hard I try to get away from it. At the end of the day, everyone makes good equipment and I can get very similar performance from comparable clubs.

Posted:
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 | T-MB 3, 718 CB 4-PW | Vokey SM6 52, SM7 58 | Toulon LV
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2362WRX Points: 784Members Posts: 2,362

Good luck with that. Let us know how that turns out for you.

Posted:
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  1948WRX Points: 409Members Posts: 1,948

Is it OCD, or does focusing on one brand save one time and money?

Since about 2012, most of my club choices have been Callaway and Tour Edge. They just seem to fit my eye better.

That said, Cobra hybrids have a solid place in the bag. I also like the Cobra FWs, but I can only have so many golf bag sets.

As for Callaway, the top two pros at my club are Callaway guys. Golfers at the club get to hit a lot of prototype models the pros get for us prior to general release. They work closely with the Callaway rep, who shows up for general demo days and special Callaway-only visits. Basically, you can make a club selection decision over several months rather than after one day on Trackman.

Tour Edge is good also. I got to know the regional TE reps very well the past 10 years, and the lesson pro I work with is a knowledgeable TE fitter.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

Advertisement
  • cgasuckscgasucks  2398WRX Points: 315Members Posts: 2,398

Having all clubs from one OEM is an OCD thing but I don't think it's nothing to worry about. If you want to have a bag full of clubs that are all Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, or some other OEM then go right ahead. After all, it is your money and you worked hard for it. Who has the right to tell you how to spend it?

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • GSDriverGSDriver  749WRX Points: 136Handicap: 4Members Posts: 749

Not for me, it's a matter of what suits my eye, and experience with OEM as far as customer service (in case I need them). I've played over the years many of the major OEMs, and based on my experience, Cally has the best service and makes some nice sticks. I used to have a Cally bag, but since I prefer C130 bags, that's a Sun Mountain.

Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CA 500WRX Points: 616Members Posts: 500

My bag is largely mixed but not excessively so. I'd have no issue straight up mixing all my woods but it just so happens I haven't found any I like better than Titleist TS series. Probably couldn't mix my non-wedge irons outside of OEM. Wedges could be anything, putter could be anything.

Bags? Ugh, that one drives me nuts. It's a big reason I went with Vessel. Even their branding in general is pretty minimal but also no OEM branding so I'm totally safe to put whatever I want in without triggering my annoyance response.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist U500 3I
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• J_L_35J_L_35  8WRX Points: 11Members Posts: 8

For me personally, I have never been a one-brand guy for ANYTHING sports equipment. It started when I was younger, with my snowboarding equipment I had a different Boot, Binding, and Board all from different manufacturers and I enjoyed the challenge of 'customizing' my setup. This also has found its way into my current golf setup as well.....TM M5 Driver, Ping G410 Woods, Mizuno JPX 919 Irons, Mizuno BRD-4 Cart Bag. One of my golf buddies went completely Cobra last summer and while it all looks good together, its just not my style.....

Posted:

Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Deg [Evenflow Blue]

Woods: Slazenger Wrath 3W

Irons: Slazenger Wrath 5i-PW

Wedges: TBD

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

Ball: TM TP5

Bag: Mizuno BRD-4 [Cart-Red-Gray]

• scooterhd2scooterhd2  559WRX Points: 140Members Posts: 559

Not only brand, but how do you sleep at night with one chrome, one black, and one raw wedge? With a red putter and a blue hybrid? My feet are sweating. I can hear my heartbeat. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • propmanpropman  1810WRX Points: 133Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,810

Glad I am not stuck on 1 brand. I try and keep an open mind and not listen to the marketing noise of the oems.

Posted:
    15 hcp
  • MKPAPAMKPAPA Long Beach, California 531WRX Points: 98Handicap: 10.7Members Posts: 531

Last year I wanted an all nike bag so I did that. no regrets

Posted:
  • gators78gators78  3995WRX Points: 197Handicap: 3ClubWRX Posts: 3,995

Paid off my mortgage yesterday, so fantastic, thanks for asking.

Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    MP20 MMC 4 Iron
    MP20 MB 5-W
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Exo Strokelab Mini #7

Advertisement
  • jholzjholz  1659WRX Points: 473Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 1,659

You would hate my wedge set up. Three different manufacturers. Three different finishes. And the gaps don't make any conventional sense. Somehow I make it work.

I'm willing to consider pretty much any OEM and I purchase the best equipment that I can find at the price I am willing to pay for it (which isn't much).

Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.