2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Royal New Kent late February/early March

FourUnder ·  
FourUnderFourUnder  140WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 140

I am a big fan of Mike Strantz and was hoping to play the recently reopened course at Royal New Kent. I'll be in the area the last week of February or the first week of March. I've never played in Virginia before, so I am not familiar with what normal golf conditions will look like. I looked up average weather and it seems like low to mid 40s with some rain would be typical, but what type of shape do you think the course will be in? It's a bit out of my way, but I am thinking about making the drive to play another Strantz design. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted:

Comments

• ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf  446WRX Points: 76Handicap: 8Members Posts: 446

How green it will be will depend on if they overseed or dye dormant grass and how mild or cold the winter will have been.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DrDonDrDon  92WRX Points: 67Members Posts: 92

The average high temperature in Williamsburg, VA on March 1st is 57 degrees. The average number of rain days is about 10 for both the months of February and March.

Posted:
  • mattw387mattw387  198WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 198

Where are you coming from?

It's a course you should play when you have the chance, especially since you're a Strantz fan. I'm not sure how green or warm it will be for you in late February, but the course will be in great shape. That being said, it would be much prettier when the grass is green and fairways are a little harder in April-October..

Posted:
  • FourUnderFourUnder  140WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 140

Coming from Oregon. I played Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm about five years ago. Can't pass up the chance for another Strantz design especially since I'm rarely on the east coast. Hope things don't get too soggy in February.

Posted:
  • mattw387mattw387  198WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 198

Ah perfect.

Over the past year or so, there has been a revitalization of Stonehouse, another Strantz design, only 20 minutes down the road. I believe the new owners have put a lot of $ into the course - but we haven’t played it yet so I can’t comment on the condition. Might be worth checking out while you’re in town!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.