2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Modern balata equivalent?

Bubbtubbs ·  
BubbtubbsBubbtubbs  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Members Posts: 571

A few of us are starting up a vintage persimmon/blade club to get together once a month for a round. Had anybody seen a manufacturer that can provide new wound core or Tour 90/100 equivalent balls?

Posted:

Comments

• cristphotocristphoto  3584WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 3,584

Try finding some old Spalding Tour Edition 90 balls from the used ball sellers. They performed pretty much like a balata. I don't think anyone would be able to make a true balata replacement today - too complex. The Tour Edition would spin like crazy on each club in the bag unlike todays urethane balls with better spin separation. Great feel also.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S  3686WRX Points: 727Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,686

Maxfli HT's from 1999 can be had NIB on eBay. They work just fine. Played several dozen over two years.

Posted:
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Members Posts: 571

Cool. I'm down with using NOS balls just as long as they still function properly and haven't deteriorated in the 30+ years.

Thanks!

Posted:
  • storm319storm319 US 4019WRX Points: 292Members Posts: 4,019

Use of balata died several years before wound construction did due to lack of durability and higher cost. No OEMs are producing these anymore because a) there is little to no demand b) higher manufacturing cost c) worse durability and performance vs solid core construction.

Your best bet would be the lower compression 3-piece urethane balls:

Bridgestone B330 RXS/Tour B RXS

Callaway Chrome Soft (2015)

Srixon QStar Tour

Wilson Duo Urethane/Professional

Posted:
  • RyanBarathWRXRyanBarathWRX  79WRX Points: 114Handicap: 5Media Staffer Posts: 79

I have found that the Kirkland 3 piece is a nice ball for this purpose - soft and higher spinning.

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3584WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 3,584

You can be certain any liquid center wound ball's performance has deteriorated. The ProV1 came out around 2000 and pretty much every manufacturer stopped making wound balls within about a year. So the newest balata ball you will find will be about 20 years old. Actually older yet as the prior Titleist pro ball (pre ProV1) was the Professional and it was out for a few years after the Titleist Tour Balata stopped production. That's why I recommended the Tour Edition as it was a 2-piece ball with a zinthane (zinc/urethane) cover. I played that ball after playing the Tour Balata and Professional. Same great spin and wouldn't cut up or go out of round. Plus solid balls have a much longer life span if stored properly.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S  3686WRX Points: 727Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,686

I played 50 rounds with 18 year old HT's, aside from the wind knocking them around a bit more and fact they grab the grain of green more they perform as well as Pro V X1's. In fact down wind they flew longer. I use Pro V X1 because they closely replicate late generation 3 piece performance. I have zero problem recommending NOS HT's otherwise.

Posted:
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera  5454WRX Points: 233Handicap: -1.6Members Posts: 5,454

PM me an address and I can send you some Titleist Professionals I have lying around. I've a few sleeves and have been looking for an excuse to get rid of 'em.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 2D 9* MCA Diamana ZF 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Fuji Speeder 904 HB
    PING S55 5-9 DGTI X100 TI
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  DGTI S400 TI
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6932WRX Points: 999Handicap: 7Members Posts: 6,932

Among modern balls.... Closest in spin to the old wound balls would be the 3 pc Kirkland Signature. It will have a firmer feel, though. Closest in feel (with urethane cover) would be the Duo Urethane or Duo Professional, but they won't spin as much as the old wound balls.

Any NOS wound balls you could find are likely to be at least 16-18+ years old, unless you find something manufactured more recently for the Asian market. And due to that age, they will have not-insignificant performance degradation, even if stored perfectly.

Occasionally, you can find what I call the quasi-wound Maxfli balls on ebay; balls like the A10, M3, or even the Revolution. Because the windings in these balls are so much thinner, little more than the mantle layer of solid core 3pc (or more) balls, they may have lesser performance drop from age. "May" being operative word, I'm only speculating. 🤔

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • th6252th6252  1207WRX Points: 156Members Posts: 1,207
    Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6932WRX Points: 999Handicap: 7Members Posts: 6,932

It's not, in the manner the HT/Elite/etc are. That layer of elastic is quite thin. ☺️

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805

Advertisement
  • storm319storm319 US 4019WRX Points: 292Members Posts: 4,019

There were both hybrid wound and solid multilayer versions of both the Revolution and the A10. The hybrid wound balls had a solid core more in line with modern construction with a wound layer that was thicker than most modern mantles but much thinner and stiffer than past rubber windings.

Maxfli was done with that by the M3 Tour/LT which were the typical modern multilayer construction that all balls are today.

Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3364WRX Points: 327Members Posts: 3,364

Callaway Supersoft. Srixon Soft Feel. Modern performance but won't damage old club heads.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.