2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Help! Simulator numbers WTH???

Brentwalker52

I’m not on a simulator often and yesterday I tried out some drivers for next season at golf galaxy! Here’s some numbers/averages swing speed numbers were 90-95, ball speed was hovering around 138 with all 3 drivers!

m4 217 longest drive

m3 210

ping G400 200

all drivers 10.5 loft! And regular flex!

so why am I not getting more distance out of these drivers??? Please help the only thing the employee said was u sure hit a high ball ??

What were your spin numbers? You need to hit the ball high with your swing speed, but you also need enough spin to keep it in the air. Your carry should be closer to 240 -247 with your swing speed so something isn't right and I suspect that your spin is too low to keep the ball in the air because the other culprit could have been that you weren't hitting the ball high enough but you stated this isn't your problem.

Those numbers are about right for carry distances, if your hitting it really high then your not going to get much roll out

Next time maybe try a lower lofted head

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I suspect low launch matched with your stated spin and chs. Get the launch up around 14 and you should get about 215 carry.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

A6VZRRDZFH75.png

90-95mph swing speed, and 138 ball speed, if the average swing speed is 92.5mph and 138mph ball speed this is 1.49 smash factor. Pretty much perfect.

with that above is the trajectory Optimizer. 138mph ball speed, 13* launch with 2250rpms of spin. (I picked 13* launch) I plugged in up to 19* of launch and that gave 5 more yards of Carry, to 224 yards.

this is pretty optimized, so outside of knowing what exactly your launch numbers are, Your spin in good, your are essentially getting a quality smash factor if you hover @ 92.5mph swing speed with an average of 138 ballspeed.

unless you play in the mountains and 2000+ft of elevation, the numbers are pretty close.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

One of the biggest reasons for not getting the distances you want is “centered ness of contact” aka the middle of the club face.

with that said, soooooo many other things go into distance, IE: kinematic sequence, club path, face angle, swing direction, Angle of Attack.

next time your on a sim set of the info boxes to display. Club head speed, Ball Speed, Angle of attack, club path, face angle, launch angle, back spin.

if you download Trackman a free iOS app, it will teach you about the fundamentals of ball flight, distance and how they relate to delivering the club into the ball. Really helped me understand what I should be doing vs watching random swing tip videos

With 90-95 SS, you should be into a stiff shaft?! Maybe find someone that will spend the time to get you dialled into the right shaft head combo?! With new stuff coming shortly, might be able to upgrade from the drivers you have demoed already!?

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I hate to be that guy, but I got to.

You hit your Xhot 3 wood 250 to 260? I have a 102-105mph Driver swing speed. and basically average 250 yard drives?

I am 10 mph fast then your average driver speed of 90-95mph, Yet you can out drive me with your 3 wood?

Sorry sir that doesnt make sense. Unless you have a 3 wood swing speed of 108mph how are you hitting the 3 wood 250+?

pgatourstats.png

PGA track man 3 wood with 107mph swing speed and 158 ball speed, you are 20mph slower in your ball speed, and their carr is 243 meaning you hit your 3 wood farther than a PGA tour average player?

Let me clarify. Does this mean your Driver numbers you posted are not your normal driver speeds in other words, you likely have a Driver swing speed of 110 and the 90-95mph averages you displayed are due to you slowing down or the club causing a 10-15mph decrease in your potential swing speeds?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

41XA3A1RLA3K.png153mph ball speed, launching @ 15* with 2500rpms of back spin, this is my driver average

BTW 153mph ball speed / 1.48 smash average = 103mph swing speed.

I think you may need to evaluate your expectations? and potentially your numbers again?

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I think you're lying about your 3w distances or you must play with a wind at your back and down hill to very firm fairways. Your driver numbers are almost perfectly optimized at that club head speed. Unless you had a really off day and/or you suddenly dropped 15% club head speed due to being indoors in a bay.... Im going to say you do not consistently hit a 3w 250 or 260 with a 90-95 mph driver swing.

To put things in perspective.... I was hitting on Trackman yesterday and I was swinging my 3w about 102-104mph (slow for me) and it was only going about 240-245 total. I like to spin my 3w a little more so that's not distance optimized... but it's not too far off.

Like Rasheed Wallace said, “ball don’t lie.” Or in this case “ball speed”, which is what most monitors actually measure and can generally be considered accurate.

I have some golfing buddies who know squat about launch monitors and talked the same way. It was interesting to see their reactions when they get on a monitor and they get a dose of reality.

I cant imagine a scenario where someone who truly hits 3W 250-260 even posts this question on here. Surely they would know the monitor wasn’t reading driver correctly because they would have known the SS was wrong. If they were having the yips inside or a bad day, why even post the question if it didn’t reflect the normal swing? So my guess is the driver reflected reality.

Bottom line is those ball speed numbers in no way possible translate to hitting 3W anywhere remotely close to 250-260.

1) don’t mind the criticism and not saying the numbers are perfect but yes I do play on a course that is dry 90 percent of the time and I get some crazy roll with the 3 wood where as with the drive I’m normally fighting a slice and when I do hit it straight it usually comes down and don’t really get much roll and god help me if it’s wet it’ll plug like crazy!

2) this is why I’m asking you all my 3 wood has alway gone farther than my driver anywhere from 1o-15 yards on average! and I’m trying to figure out why no lessons never had a fitting, just figured I might get some answers on here!

3) another bit of info I’m 5’8 on a good day so not sure if the shorter shaft in the 3 wood makes that much a difference

Then it's a couple of things: 1) the driver is way too long for you leading to poor contact (roughly 2.5-3" longer than your 3 wood). 2) You don't actually hit up on it. How would you know? You just said you've never had a lesson and have never been fit. Monitors at GG, Dix, and most retail chains don't have head tracking data...so not sure how you know you hit up on it if you haven't had a lesson or a fitting. The liekly culprit is you actually hit down on it, which works for a 3 wood but not for a driver. 3) You hit it all over the face leading to inconsistent ball speed, launch, and spin.

I concur with the others, either you somehow swing slower with your driver than a 3 wood (very, very unlikely), or you don't hit your 3w 260 total (very, very likely). I've got you by 10mph and am on Quad once per week at my job or more and I carry my 3wood about 225 and usually only squeak it out there 240-245 max. Heck, I barely get my driver over 250 sometimes if my back is tight!

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I’m gotta go back that way for more Xmas shopping this weekend and I’ll tqke my 3wood along and see if they’ll let me compare it that way I can get some numbers! I do appreciate the info I’m just trying to get a driver that I feel like I can eke out more yardage our of! At this point I’m better off leaving driver at home and just hitting 3 wood

Trajectory optimizer - Launch Monitor, Golf Ball Tracking | Golf Simulators | FlightScope.com

Here you go! Love this, usually a great way to figure optimized potential. And usually the ability to channel posters "expectations" that seem to be misunderstood.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

So I again have question and issues. As the other poster stated. the ball doesnt lie.

As I edified, 90-95mph swing speed with a 138mph ball speeds. (Both extremes)

138/90 = 1.53 smash not normally possible (1.5 is max)

138/95 = 1.45 smash, seems reasonable normal person (Rick Shiels has a 1.45 smash) PGA tour average is 1.48

This indicates a quality strike vs ball speed. NOW if your smash average showed 1.40 then we could consider a strike condition issue but your ball speed is at minimum 1.45 to your swing speed.

I am 5'8" as well, I have a 45" cut driver (I dont like the newer 45.5" drivers) I have a 43.25" 2016 M2 3wood and at best I can get a 240 shot, but physics and ball data dont lie, 15* loft vs my 8.5* loft driver, 3000rpms spin average with a 3 wood and a 2500rpm driver spin average. 14* launch vs 15* launch I just wont out distance my Driver if smash factor is the same.

Secondly driver 10-15 yards one thing, but you posted 217y longest drive yet 250 to 260 with your 3 wood, thats not 10-15 yards, thats 43 yards and you anticipate to hit the driver father??

Let me be clear, again so we can narrow this down.

To hit a 3 wood 250ish you need about a 107mph swing speed, with 156mph ball speed. THIS is pretty much as optimal as you can get. down hill down wind, baked fairways and all.....

In your heart to heart if you say the last monitor you were on, you had a 90-95mph swing speed with a driver, You have a 3 wood swing speed in the 107mph range? Do you see how off that sounds?

if you fought a major slice with 90-95mph with that much spin axis that is why you are hitting 210 yard drives but the numbers wont lie that even if you zeroed out your slice, you wont gain more than 10 more yards or a total of 227 yard with a 90-95mph. Let me say an equal Driver swing speed to a 250y 3 wood swing speed would probably be closer to 111mph drivers swing speed which would be 164mph ball speeds , carry of 269 yard which would be reflexive of your 3 wood.

So how are you losing 20mph of swing speed between your driver and 3 wood. Are you intentionally swinging slower? Is the 3 wood a 55gram shaft and the Driver an 80gram shaft? YES length of driver could be an issue, But again the posted numbers you provided does NOT necessarily show a horrible smash factor. 1.45 is your low end, thats NOT bad. thats pretty average. So you are NOT losing major speed on contact issues. You just do NOT generate enough swing speed with your driver.

I would still like to know, how you are generating MORE ball speed with your 3 wood then your driver. if possible please provide the 3 wood data or MORE additional driver data, to see your vertical launch and driver spin. dispersion would be king, but not sure if that is possible

GL OP, hope you figure this out because the number are REALLY off...

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I know....... but I am trying to be a little PC... in fairness we can torch posters... but in fairness the benefit of the doubt says MOST of these people are truly ignorant and have delusion of grandeur and just need someone to spell it out for them. LOL

I was just hoping to do it the nicest way I could without just straight up calling them a liar. LOL

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Even though "huh" isn't a question I am simply stating that there are only so many ways that you will hit the ball much shorter than you should for your given swing speed.

Strike SpinLaunchAngle of AttackBall SpeedOne of these areas will be blatantly off if you are hitting it 20-30 yards short in carry yardage. If you have launch monitor numbers the deficiency will be obvious is my main point.