Bridgestone Golf Tour B 2020 Lineup

Comments

• KloppoKloppo Members  28WRX Points: 18Posts: 28 Bunkers

I don't have any real metrics, other than I'm striping the ball to the pins and playing with great confidence. It feels softer than a ProV1x and seems to take off that bit hotter. I've tried so many balls over the past few months but I'm sticking to the 2020 BX.

Posted:

Mizuno ST-190, Tensei Orange S CK50

MP-18 MB 8-PW, 3-7 SC, Modus 120x

MP-20 50, 54* and 60*

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force from charity shop, Super Stroke grip

Bridgestone BX 2020, but with dabble in Pro V1x and Srixon XV

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Lip1337Lip1337 Members  604WRX Points: 58Posts: 604 Golden Tee

the new BX is sold in germany.... wtf

cant find a dozen😁

maybe i buy ´18/´19 BXs for 2020

Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone 10,5° PX EvenFlow Black 65 Handcrafted
    Cobra F7 3W 15,5° PX EvenFlow Black 75 Handcrafted
    Cobra King Utility 18° KBS C-Taper Lite 110 or Cobra F8 Hybrid 19° HZRDUS Black
    Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX 4 50/54/58 DG TI S400
    Cleveland TFI 2135 1.0 Black, KBS CT-Tour 34,5'' Black, Flatcat Slim
    Bridgestone Tour BX
  • WKYTrooperWKYTrooper Members  228WRX Points: 63Handicap: 1.7Posts: 228 Fairways

I need to know whether to spend the extra dough on the 20 BX version. Getting a lot of mixed reviews and haven't had the time or availability to test myself. I was pretty set on the new version til a guy above mentioned they didn't fly as straight for him.

Does the BX 20 fly as well off the tee as the 18-19 version? Anyone else? And is the spin around the green and approaches really that noticeable? Putting is subjective and I dont mind the feel of the older model BX off my putter.

Posted:
    PING G400 9* 
    PING G25 15* 
    PING G25 20* 
    PING i20 4-PW green dot
    Titleist Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
    Odyssey Milled RSX 7 / Odyssey 7cs XG
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  661WRX Points: 366Handicap: 14.5Posts: 661 Golden Tee

Unless there is a defect in a ball, it can't fly less straight. Spin axis is determined by your delivery and only your delivery. A few hundred RPM's of spin isn't going to be enough to stabilize a ball that much and we're only talking about a few hundred RPM's off the driver max.

At most you're talking 1.5MPH of ball speed with a driver and a few hundred RPM of spin more with irons and wedges. You might notice a difference over a whole season, but from shot to shot it's going to be hard to separate that from the noise in your strike.

If I was happy playing the older ball, I'd continue to buy them until they run out (which they will do shortly).

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • WKYTrooperWKYTrooper Members  228WRX Points: 63Handicap: 1.7Posts: 228 Fairways

Screw it. Just stocked up on 4 dozen more '19 version. I know the ball and it does what I want. Plus with shipping it came to about $27 a dozen. DEAL!!

Posted:
    PING G400 9* 
    PING G25 15* 
    PING G25 20* 
    PING i20 4-PW green dot
  • PnojPnoj Members  40WRX Points: 13Posts: 40 Bunkers

Bought a 3 pack of the BXS and they feel amazing, defiantly an interesting sound off my putter face.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2548WRX Points: 533Handicap: 3Posts: 2,548 Titanium Tees

Unless we're talking a crazy amount of runout vs dead stop, a ball should behave consistently from year to year. Also, it's not difficult to adjust to +/-500rpm changes in greenside control if you use a ball more than 3 consecutive holes. Adjust your aim and you landing spot, problems solved.

Posted:

TM 2016 M2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro TS 63X 43.5"

Cobra F8 4-5w 18.5*, Fujikura Pro 60R 42.5"

Callaway Rogue X 4i, PX SD 5.5 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, XP95 R300

Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

• MMB1500MMB1500 Members  6654WRX Points: 581Handicap: GolfPosts: 6,654 Titanium Tees

I'm not basing this on personal experience, but, based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like the differences between the 18/19 and the 20 version are marginal at best.

I have a large stash of the previous model and I don't see any reason not to use them up before transitioning.

Posted:
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4774WRX Points: 527Posts: 4,774 Titanium Tees

the 2018 BX version was one of the best balls on the market along with TP5 and of course Prov1......the new BX feels a bit "softer" but thats all sujective.......if you like the 2018 BX, go stock up on the deals you can find right now.....the 2020 version is NOT worth $18 more a dozen.....to me anyway... i bought a sleeve of each new bridgestone and the feels are noticeably different between the 2018 bx and 2020 bx, but the bxs feels exactly the same......

Posted:
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members  4774WRX Points: 527Posts: 4,774 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • scottazscottaz ClubWRX  2048WRX Points: 245Handicap: 1.6Posts: 2,048 ClubWRX

Good move. I don't see much of a difference. I'll be interested to see what happens when it's 85* and the greens are really fast and firm. But I never had an issue with the 18's in those conditions.

Posted:

Ping G400MAX 8.5 TPT 14 proto

Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Hzrdus tour black 105x

Callaway Apex 20 Fujikura pro 115x

Mizuno HMP PW-4 DG TI 100x

Vokey sm7 50f, 55f, 60k DG TI 100x

L.A.B Golf B.2 blade putter

Advertisement

The wonderful world of eBay! 2 dozen deals plus shipping.

Posted:
    PING G400 9* 
    PING G25 15* 
    PING G25 20* 
    PING i20 4-PW green dot
  • glynntaylorglynntaylor Members  42WRX Points: 35Posts: 42 Bunkers

Has anyone got an comparisons to the new RX and RXS.

I’ve done the online fit and it come up with the RX as I’m a slower swing speed however do need a little help with spin off the irons.

Currently play Taylormade TP5 but interested in these just a little lost and need your guidance.

Thanks

Posted:
  • OldboyOldboy Members  2513WRX Points: 248Posts: 2,513 Titanium Tees

I’ll put it this way for me, I’ve played both and the ‘20 version is not worth the extra $15 at this point

Posted:
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members  12006WRX Points: 506Posts: 12,006 Titanium Tees

Subjective for sure, but I switched to the '18 BX last year because I found it to perform better around the greens than its X-ball competitors like TP5x and Z-Star XV. A good strike with clean grooves can make this ball grab as good as some of the best, not to mention the exceptional long game performance.

Posted:
    SIM 9.0°, Atmos Black 7x
    Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11s
    Tour BX

The TP5x is a spin killer, i agree.....I have to say, with all the balls ive tried the past year, the top 4 balls by a mile are the BX, TP5, Prov1 and BXS. If i had to rank them, id go

1- TP5

2-Prov1

3-BX

4- BXS

Posted:

Advertisement
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Hoschton, GAMembers, ClubWRX  1488WRX Points: 288Posts: 1,488 ClubWRX

Finally got to play the BX yesterday. Still fairly wet here in GA but the temps were in the 60s so got a fair representation of performance. This is a weird ball to me. It feels dead is the best way I can describe it. I like the click of a firm golf ball without going overboard. So far, the BX and the BRX have the feeling of a softer ball. Definitely softer off the putter and just indistinct off the irons. I hit some shots yesterday I thought were terrible from the feel off the club face that ended up past my normal distances. So the ball flies forever but it just has a different feeling. Again, very similar to the RX, I noticed less spin than I see on my gamer ProV1s for sure. Less green side spin and less overall spin on full shots. It was definitely drop and stop. Some shot rolled out 3-4 feet where I would see 3-4 backspin easily with a ProV1. That concerns me for my game especially when greens firm up in the warmer weather. I really wanted to give these a go in 2020. So far I am not trending in that direction. I think I am going to need to try the XS and RXS to see how they perform.

Posted:
  • endyendy Members  3650WRX Points: 291Posts: 3,650 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* Fuji Ventus Black 7X 
    Ping G410 LST 14.5* Fuji Ventus Black 8X
    Ping G410 17.5* Fuji Ventus Black 10X 
    Honma Rose Proto 4-10 Modus 120X
    Honma TW-W4 50/54/60 Modus 125W
    Machine M2A Wide Flange 34.5” 
    Bridgestone Tour B X 
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members  2761WRX Points: 248Handicap: 6.4Posts: 2,761 Titanium Tees

Man, it's funny how different swings offer different results.

I found the exact opposite - 2020 BX has more approach and greenside spin for me than V1 I played for the past couple years.

Plus, the new BX has less spin and stronger trajectory with my driver when compared to V1 - which equaled extra yards for me on my tee shots.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-6
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º & 19º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-7
    Titleist U•510 Iron 4i ~ Project X HZRDUS Black 80
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5 – PW ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) & 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 SS blackout
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) 
    Bridgestone Tour B X
  • DLiverDLiver Members  2793WRX Points: 267Handicap: 2.2Posts: 2,793 Titanium Tees

I'm still messing around with different Bridgestone balls. Background: I've been playing the '18 BX for a while. I found it to be a good ball. For some reason, I decided to try the '18 RXS a little while back. I was very surprised to find it to be a good 6-8 yards longer off of every iron. However I didn't feel it was real deep off the tee. Anyway, after reading the buzz here, I tried th '20 RXS. I couldn't really tell the difference from the '18 RXS. Today I tried the '20 RX. It seemed pretty long off the tee. I was back to my usual distances on good strikes--comparable to the distances with the '18 BX. My irons, however, were flying very long. This ball seemed hot off the irons all day, and I was having trouble figuring out which club to hit on my approaches. Downwind, the ball tended to roll out. Into the wind, or neutral wind, the ball stopped ok--it rolled forward but not alarmingly so. FYI our greens are fairly firm and stimp at around 11. So after all of this, I'm thinking about trying the '20 BX, or I may just continue with the '20 RX. I have a dozen of the RX, so probably the best course is to get more familiar with those. FWIW, I really don't like changing balls a lot. I feel like it introduces another variable in the game that I don't need. Hmmm...

Posted:
    Post edited by DLiver on

Just got back from playing. It was pretty windy out there and i have to tell you, i played 4 holes with the new BXS and 5 holes with the 2018 BX.

i was on a par 5 and really hit my drive well.....my 2nd shot was ~ 260 from the green with a big bunker protecting the front. i hit my hybrid which is usually a 210 club. Was hoping to get up and down from 50 yards for birdie, at worst a par......my hybrid shot was hit dead center of the sweet spot and it started out great. The wind caught the bxs and it ballooned quickly and the ball fell well short of my target.....that happened a few times. Without the wind, the ball flew great but the BX cut through a little better.....no ballooning but the BX is definitely a "harsher" feel. if you dont hit it square, you can feel it pretty good.

I think the TP5 is much better in this same type of scenario.....for me anyway.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members  2761WRX Points: 248Handicap: 6.4Posts: 2,761 Titanium Tees

Out of curiosity , what are you not comparing 18 BX against 20 BX?

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-6
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º & 19º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-7
    Titleist U•510 Iron 4i ~ Project X HZRDUS Black 80
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5 – PW ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) & 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 SS blackout
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) 
    Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members  1663WRX Points: 182Posts: 1,663 Platinum Tees

Haven't had the chance to test the '20 BStone lineup, but this is exactly what I found last year and why I switched to the TP5 early. It cuts through the wind great, yet has the feel and performance of a Pro V or BXS. From 150 and in l, and especially around the green, the ball just shines.

There seems to be many mixed reviews on these new ones. I will still give them a whirl but my expectations will be tempered.

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* TM M1 w/80x Black Tie
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    Titleist SM6 52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S 
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade TP5
  • MickVinerMickViner BrisbaneMembers  24WRX Points: 22Handicap: 8Posts: 24 Bunkers

Simp, mate why most guys here need less spin? i always felt i need more spin on the course as usually for choppers like me ( a 8 handicap) a course takes it away, like the rough, my slow swing speed (90 ss ) and my home course has really hard fast greens and shaved surrounds almost as fast. cheers

Posted:

I ordered a few free samples from golfballs.com when they ran the promotion for the new bridgestone line. They only offered the BXS and the BRX. So i only had 2018 BX's to use.

Posted:
  • ShadrachShadrach Members  192WRX Points: 88Posts: 192 Fairways

Glynntaylor wrote "Has anyone got any comparisons to the new RX and RXS? I’ve done the online fit and it come up with the RX as I’m a slower swing speed however do need a little help with spin off the irons."

With a few exceptions, I've played either the Q Star Tour or an RX/RXS ball over the last half dozen years or thereabouts. I've been a member at the club down the street for the last 25 years, so I have a very good idea of where every well-struck shot will finish up. When I drop different balls during summer conditions, they tend to land on top of each other, and I usually wind up migrating back to the QST from the Bridgestone balls when on-course evidence suggests that their principal differences are $15 per dozen.

That said, up here in the Frozen Tundra we have too much time on our hands during winter, so we find ourselves using on-line fitting tools and launch monitors to inform us of possible gamers for the coming season. Bridgestone's fitting suggestion to Glynntaylor was exactly the one I received from them. This happened more than once, and with absolutely zero variation. One year I got curious about who the player was for whom Bridgestone recommended its RXS, a ball I really liked. So I began fiddling with my submitted answers to get the fitting tool to recommend the RXS for me.

It was not easy. But finally, after submitting a vast number of fudged answers, I hit the jackpot. I tell this whole tale to agree with the opinion that actually playing a ball for 18 holes in summer conditions on a known course is a better way to judge a ball's performance than to accept an algorithmic solution on-line.

Maybe it's just me, but for many on-line selectors, it seems that their authors think we hackers in general slice/ hook the ball abysmally, have no short game skills, and will give up all else to beef up our pathetic drives from 188 yards to 190 yards. Your yardage may vary :)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Golf Nut Omaha, NEMembers  845WRX Points: 287Handicap: 12Posts: 845 Golden Tee

I've been playing the Z Star for the last 6 months or so (winter excluded of course) but on my round last Sunday I took a couple of Tour B RX's (2020 version) and was thoroughly pleased with the performance. While I didn't play them on every hole, I really did not have any drop off when switching to the RX. In fact, when I did switch to it, the drives were straight and long and the feel was slightly softer. Virtually no difference when putting or chipping.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow because I really liked the softer feel.

I was particularly interested in the spin since I have had trouble holding greens and I think it performed much better than the prior version.

The Z Star has been a great performer for me, but the Tour B just had that nice soft, yet reliable, feel.

Posted:

Mavrik Driver 10.5* Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 3w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 5w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 4h Recoil ES Smacwrap 760 F2

Callaway Apex CF19's 5i - PW Recoil 760 F2

Callaway MD5 48* - 54* Project X Catalyst 80

Callaway Chrome Soft 2020

Stroke Lab One

• DLiverDLiver Members  2793WRX Points: 267Handicap: 2.2Posts: 2,793 Titanium Tees

I forgot to add something interesting (to me anyway). When I switched from the '18 BX to the '18 RXS, I got an immediate increase of 5-9 yards off the irons. I find the '20 RX to be equally long off the irons vs the '18 BX. I went back and looked through that big golf ball review that we can't mention here, and found that it accurately predicted that the RX and RXS would be that much longer off the irons. I was both surprised and impressed.

Posted:
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  661WRX Points: 366Handicap: 14.5Posts: 661 Golden Tee

I'm not sure why you would be surprised. At the loft and clubhead speed you hit with an iron, you won't lose any ball speed by going to the softer ball. But the softer ball will launch higher and spin less. That's always going to give you more distance. The real question is whether it's worth it to give up that much spin for a few yards of distance with the irons.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Advertisement

I will clear it up for you. I was surprised because the test was accurately predictive of how these balls would perform for me. That hasn't been my experience with several of the other balls in the test.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.