My swing

flogmaster ·  
flogmasterflogmaster  10WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 10

Hi

hitting big blocks/pushes

i come from inside ( too much?) with open face

i cant seem to fix

any drills , recomendations , thoughts that may help?

frustrated!!

thanks

Posted:

Answers

• MaddygirlMaddygirl  194WRX Points: 51Members Posts: 194

In frame 2 you look to be in a great position. You need to release your hands. I am sure your going to get 20000000000 things to do that have you hitting 150000000 other positions, but you grooved a swing that just needs to be finished.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • flogmasterflogmaster  10WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 10

Thanks

and drills you can suggest??

Posted:
  • MeeshMeesh  114WRX Points: 71Members Posts: 114

Can you post the video of the swing?

Posted:

unfortunately because I am new to the site my vimeo url is not yet allowed

Posted:
  • jkim27jkim27 SF Bay Area 132WRX Points: 59Handicap: 7.8Members Posts: 132

Clubface is the last frame is wide open and looks like you're holding your wrist angles way too long instead of releasing the club. At that point your glove logo should be pointing to left or even to the ground = supination!

I'd recommend to try standing straight up, and holding the club straight out so that your arms and the club are parallel the ground. Swing the club around your body and feel how your right wrist/forearm really needs to turn over on top of your left arm.

Another good drill is to place an impact bag or range bucket about 1-2ft in front of the tee (no ball) down the target line and take some slow practice swings and try to hit the range basket with the toe of your driver.

Hope that helps.

Posted:

Great thoughts!! Thankyo!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MeeshMeesh  114WRX Points: 71Members Posts: 114

Did you hit this drive off the toe? That would make the face look way open because of the gear effect

Posted:
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes  512WRX Points: 119Members Posts: 512

have you tried a stronger grip? Cured same problem for me plus there are added benefits

edit; on second look your grip looks pretty strong, seems you haven't released your hands as Maddygirl says. There are some Mike Austin and Shawn Clement videos on that if you're interested

Posted:

Posted:
  • laneholtlaneholt  643WRX Points: 85Members Posts: 643

Flogmaster,

Your lever delivery system in the second video looks good. It indicates that you have NOT thrown the club face in an attempt to hit at the ball. You are pulling the lever through the ball . Rare indeed. A sign of a potential good player.

Do you know the CPM ( cycles per minute ) on you driver shaft? If not, maybe you might want to find out BC a flexible tip shaft can decelerate at impact ( Newtons Third Law ) and cause blocks and fades . I don’t care if it says ‘STIFF ‘ on the shaft. I CPM hundreds of ( stiff ) shafts and what Mfgts. consider stiff is in the 260-270 range.

Otherwise- I would suggest you forget about coming “ to much “ from the inside . Ben Hogan came drastically from the inside around his torso and he was a pretty good stick.

I would also suggest that as you come down from inside PULLING the face into the inside quadrant of the ball - you might want to pull your lever system more around the left side of your torso. This is done by controlling the butt end of the lever ( grip ) with your dominant HANDS which forces the torso to rotate left and square the face.

You are apparently a well coordinated athlete and already hit some excellent shots.

Good luck,

lane

Posted:
  • druski10druski10  39WRX Points: 29Handicap: +2Members Posts: 39

I just post it to youtube and then post the URL. You look like you are in good positions in the downswing. I would be interested to see the video.

Posted:

Advertisement

sadly i tried that and golfwrx still wont allow the url posting

Posted:
  • hitemstr8rhitemstr8r  14WRX Points: 11Members Posts: 14

Flogmaster,

I suffered what looks to be a similar situation to yours. Do you find yourself not finishing the swing completely sometimes as well? Reason I ask is, if you look at the 2nd frame you provided, you seem to have pushed your lead hip out far (I know it's tough to tell from camera angle). I get stuck doing the same thing because I aggressively shift to the front foot and early. This video helped a lot for me and it has a good drill. Hope it helps you, I know it's frustrating trying multiple things that still don't seem to work!!

Well I tried to post the video link but I guess I can't...also frustrating. Look up Larry Cheung Golf on youtube and look for how to rotate more in the downswing. I truly think you'll like that video and it will help based on the limited info those photos provide. If I'm wrong, my apologies and I will have only wasted 5 mins of your time on youtube

Posted:
  • MrStiberMrStiber  5WRX Points: 9Members Posts: 5

Agree with hitemstr8r here.

Could be a (slight) slide in the hips which is compensated by a drop of the right shoulder. And if your hands doesn't get really active you will more likely than not end up in an open club face at impact (did I just describe your swing or my own.. (?) :D ). My blocks usually come when I get too aggressive / speedy in the transition and my hips slide more than rotate.

Posted:

If I asked you to throw / skip a rock across a pond here is how you would perform this action immediately without ever giving it the slightest thought——

You would place the rock lightly somewhere between your thumb and forefinger and middle fingers and pull your HANDS back round behind you to form a lever to provide the necessary power needed for the intended task. Your arms rotated back around BC your dominant HAND ( your external brain ) instructed them to do so. Obviously, our HANDS can not go anywhere until the arms take them, BUT the HANDS INITIATED and CONTROLLED this motion.

In the 2/10 seconds allowed to perform this task how much thought was given to your hips, toes, nose ,knees ,legs , shoulders,etc; ——- NONE ! If this is the correct answer and it certainly is because we know the Human brain can only sort out and perform ONE ( 1 ) task in 2/10 seconds !

You may have the most beautiful grip, best stance, best setup, best BS , best everything in the history of golf, BUT you HANDS WILL ** ALWAYS ** rollover, turn down and ruin your shot during that upcoming 2/10 second( DS )UNLESS you teach them to perform exactly opposite of their NATURAL genetic design — which Is to come back to the centerline of our torso palms together. Our dominant hand must stay - palm up.

lane

Posted:

Thats quite eloquent prose!!

but how does one accomplish such? Drill ideas?

Posted:

Advertisement

Flogmaster,

None of my friends have accused me of being eloquent , although I may insist they do from now on—-

I have been very lucky in my life to have been taught by the ONLY Human on this earth that truly figured out the golf swing. One that boiled it down to the * FACTS and TRUTHS ONLY *. I was once searching for answers just like you and others are today never realizing those answers were not available to me. They weren’t in golf books or on TV. I wasted thousands on instruction trying to fulfill my dreams not knowing they didn’t know , either!

If a player is serious about improving his game it is important to consider this—- when we attach a lever ( golf shaft ) to our HANDS we become a part of an intricate lever system . What else could possibly control this LEVER ? What controls body movement ? How many actions can the Human brain sort out and perform in this period of time ? Can we focus on what we are having for dinner while we are getting ready to propel a golf ball ? We know the Human brain can only perform ONE task in 2/10 second. We know that approx. 40 % of our brain is dedicated to our HANDS and maybe more than that is dedicated to our head for hearing , chewing, listening , thoughts , etc; GENETICS RULE. None of your brain is dedicated to your legs. They have been moving you around quite well without much attention being given to them. If we know that the body will obey the commands of the HANDS .

why would we waste time on theory and unsubstantiated opinion if this is true ? Control and success of the golf swing is down there on the end of your arms right in front of you. Is is the turning of the torso that squares the face and provides the power, not the HANDS. They must be kept right palm looking skyward during the DS or they will roll over and hooks and pulls will occur. Also slices for the same reasons.

Check out * Cortical Homunculus * if you seriously want to learn .

good luck,

lane

Posted:

Flogmaster,

You never replied to my questions about your shaft stiffness, very important for a strong swinger like you .

Posted:

I have to check

Posted:

yes. I use the skipping the stone thought when I swing

Posted:

Les ,

Thanks for your astute reply. I expect you got the point I was trying to make. We might think that the power necessary to throw a rock is generated by our HANDS , ( and why wouldn’t we when that is such a natural action to perform ), but the HANDS have NO such power. The power comes from the lever system formed by our arms and the rotation of the inner circle ( our torso ) and that is the ONLY source of power .however, our HANDS receive signals from our brain to perform this task we know as a golf swing that is NOT in our subconscious . It has to be learned and that is why most folks never learn BC we have to tech our HANDS something that is against their very genetic design. Not to roll over CCW from the top of our BS . Not easy - not a tip ! Control of the golf swing lies in the HANDS, but they have NO power . They are only the asst. boss . They receive commands from the brain and the HANDS carry out these actions and THE BODY WILL ALWAYS OBEY THE COMMANDS OF THE Hands WITHOUT EVER QUESTIONING!

LANE

Posted:

Advertisement

Flogmaster,

The reason I asked about the shaft stiffness is —- in the 3 rd still picture I notice the face our your driver seems open. Newtons Third Law prevails here. Just wondering if your shaft is so flexible as to retract , decelerate and open at impact. Hard to tell except from a face on view. Check out the demo on Inventix.com and you will see what I mean and you will understand.

lane

Posted:

Lane, the homunculus concept was pretty interesting, thanks for that. Like you said, focusing on one task is best. For me, the thought of "skipping the stone" or even "throwing a sack of potatoes into a pickup truck" is what works, there is no need to dwell on positions, the body just does what it is told. However, for me, I also have to focus uppermost on the target - THAT is what I skip the stone to. There has to be an end destination in mind if one wants accuracy.

Posted:

Les,

It is gratifying to hear a reply from someone who is a- thinker. Rare indeed. Some might realize that throwing a stone to make it skip across water surface requires a side arm motion . If you stop to think about that ( which as a kid I never did ) you would realize that the palm of your dominant hand would be facing upward during that action. Hmmmm, sounds kind like a golf swing, doesn’t it ?

It amazes me that instruction tells us to move this arm over at here at this angle and move your hips around there at this angle ,etc;etc; when it is not possible for the Human brain to perform more than one ( 1 ) task in 2/10 seconds. Why do this when the ONLY connection with the human structure are our HANDS - and they control the swing. The key to a successful golf swing is right here on the ends of our arms. Don’t know if it will ever change ?

Thanks for your astute reply ,

Lane

Posted:

Thanks. Of course Modern Golf instruction is mostly for the benefit of the instructor, not the student. Perhaps it feeds the Ego's need for control. We need to abandon control to gain control. Golf is such a game of opposites

Posted:

thanks for the responses...finally can post a video

how does one get back to the “ skipping stone” simplicity? Is it just a matter of visualization or are there suggested drills?

when I attempt to swing the club with a skipping stone approach ...i feel as though my right shoulder drops way down and I am hitting from underneath the ball/plane as opposed to on top of it

Posted:

Advertisement

Les,

I am curious how you figured this out ? Not many folks do by themselves. I certainly was not smart enough to . I hope you will keep posting BC millions of golfers need the correct information they are desperately searching for.

You are correct— golf is not natural. It is exactly opposite of Human genetics. It is not in Human DNA. It has to be learned. We have to teach ourselves to perform in a way that is TOTALLY FOREIGN TO GENETICS.

i appreciate your intelligence. Please stay tuned.

lane

Posted:

Flogmaster,

Three words I DO NOT use when I teach——

GRIP- RELEASE ( and especially ) —- HIT

The installed grip on the end of that lever ( shaft ) is there for one purpose ONLY - to be HELD.— Attached to the HANDS where the Human becomes a huge part of a very intricate lever system. The ONLY connection and control lies within those HANDS - those digits on the end of your arms. Now- the THUMB of your hand is the most dominant part of your hand. Rotate your Right thumb CW as if thumbing a ride ( or throwing a rock ) you will notice your right palm faces the sky. Now - bring your hands back to the center of your torso and you will notice they easily came back palms together - thumbs facing skyward. Notice also your right hand will rotate fro a palm up position to a palm down position plus 90 degrees more - 270 .Same with your left hand.

OK - we now know the dominant right hand can rotate 270 CCW degrees from the very TOP of our DS degrees and we know it is genetically designed to ALWAYS DO SO if we DON’T TEACH IT TO PERFORM EXACTLY OPPOSITE OF ITS GENETIC DESIGN. AND - millions of golfers wonder WHY they continue to hit pulls and hooks and they are told it is their grip, their legs, their knees , toes ,hips , nose , shoulders , etc;. I’ve heard it all . it is as if the HANDS

OK - we understand what our HANDS are going to do, but we FAIL to understand that our torso ( inner circle ) is also turning in a circle. Hmm- we have the centrifugal force of the shaft being pulled down trying to PULL our hands and arms out and around which PULLS our powerful shoulder out and around- plus our torso is rotating around. Triple trouble!

How do we conquer this ? By understanding that our HANDS control body movements. That they MUST be kept from rolling over from the very top and must be kept looking skyward through the entire DS. The torso squares the face and provides the power. Keeping the right THUMB rotated in a CW / palm up position behind our torso allows us to PULL the face down into the inside quadrant of the ball and allows our torso to rotate and square the face at impact. You only have to watch the greats to see this !

Even if you believe this and understand it. It is NOT easy to learn. Very few are willing to donate the effort.

lane

Posted:

Flogmaster,

How long is your driver shaft ?

lane

Posted:

Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean, but IMO you dont want the trail shoulder to come around the front, it should go under. But I don't think about any of that. I pick out a spot in the sky as my target and skip the stone to that point. It works for me and I added huge distance while getting perfect impact almost every time.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.