2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Looking for low compression golf ball for winter season.

eagles1 ·  
eagles1eagles1  1305WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 1,305

Driver swing speed is low 90's with driver in height of summer. Any thoughts on good golf ball during the winter (transitional) season.

Thanks in advance.

Posted:

Comments

• Tanner25Tanner25  6512WRX Points: 253Members Posts: 6,512

Do you like a very soft ball or mid soft. Srixon Soft Feel is a nice two piece mid-soft ball. Others here like supersoft for a very soft ball.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62  1750WRX Points: 270Members Posts: 1,750

I switch to the Wilson 50/50 when it gets colder and use the leftovers in the early spring until it warms up.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

Do you have thew new 50's? There doesn't seem to be much feedback on those.

Posted:
  • DMartiniDMartini at home on the range 98WRX Points: 53Members Posts: 98

dont know if low compression or not, but Srixon Z Star XV is a good winter ball, i use this ball quite alot in winter here, good on cold & wet days.

Posted:

• Red4282Red4282  616WRX Points: 247Members Posts: 616

At that swing speed, a ball wont make a ton of difference on performance, so dont sweat it, just find one that you like the feel of, and of course price and durability

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 4027WRX Points: 1,143Members Posts: 4,027
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • chippa13chippa13  2510WRX Points: 268Members Posts: 2,510

This question can't be answered without knowing what your summer ball is.

Posted:
  • bluedotbluedot  3625WRX Points: 340Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 3,625

So if you're looking for a ball that will go farther in cold weather, the latest research basically says forget that. Low compression balls just get harder in the cold weather, and go a little bit farther, but they don't go farther than higher compression premium balls; they just act more like them. In other words, the gap between harder and softer gets smaller, but that's all.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a cheaper ball because it's crappy golf conditions and lots of mud and leaves, etc, and you don't want to lose expensive premium balls, then it doesn't really matter; anything will do.

Posted:

Performance might be similar. But, wouldn't a soft ball feel better - not as harsh?

Posted:

It might, but again if you go to the most current research, the consensus is that what we call "feel" doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with actual performance features like distance and spin rates. The guys who do the heavy lifting research on this stuff will tell you NOT to buy a ball based on "feel", because it's a completely subjective matter that doesn't have anything to do with performance.

For instance, the Chrome Soft is a ball that is attributed to have great "feel", but the fact is that it doesn't go as far or spin as much as a the ProV1x, the TP5-x or the MTB-x, to name just three. So in cold weather, the CS is going to perhaps go a bit farther than it does in warmer weather because it's harder, but it won't go farther than the others, and it won't spin any more than it did in warmer weather. The same would apply to a cheaper ball like the Super Soft, for instance.

There are good reasons to play a cheaper ball, regardless of the compression and the "feel", and I'm a firm believer in the idea that it matters a LOT more that you play the same ball ALL THE TIME than it matters which ball that is. But the idea that soft "feel" (rather than distance or spin rates) is reason to buy a particular ball, and/or that softer golf balls become longer than harder golf balls in cold weather simply isn't supported by testing.

Posted:
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62  1750WRX Points: 270Members Posts: 1,750

Yes. I picked some up in October. I was only able to play a couple of rounds in lower temps ( low 40s) but they performed similar to past years.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

Advertisement
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Roseburg, OR 1497WRX Points: 284Handicap: 3Members Posts: 1,497

I go to the Callaway Supersoft in the winter. They come in yellow and pink which is a little easier for me to find, especially with mud and leaves. They have a nice, soft feel. Of course, it's a two piece ball and I am forced to play them differently than I do with a multilayered ball around the greens.

Posted:
  • phil75070phil75070 North Texas - 32m North of Dallas 1909WRX Points: 112Handicap: 3.6Members Posts: 1,909

Today's Golfer did a ball test and the Callaway ERC was the softest ball tested by compression yet ranked up near the top in distance.

Posted:

That is the most extensive testing I've ever seen, and they loved the ERC; that ball is an outlier, for sure. It is not, however, particularly inexpensive compared to other low compression options.

Posted:
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Dayton, Ohio 795WRX Points: 141Members Posts: 795

For an inexpensive alternative, I always recommend the Top Flite D2 Feel at DSG/GG. It was BOGO right before Christmas.

Posted:

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S
    Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13)
    Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17)
    Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X
    Odyssey Sabertooth

• benjicozbenjicoz  4WRX Points: 8Members Posts: 4

On a similar note, I use TP5X during the summer and play whatever in my practice bag during the winter but I’m wondering wether it would be beneficial all year round to use the same ball.

I could grab some used TP5X but Failing that, is there a ball that would give me the same characteristics but a cheaper price??

Thanks in advance

Posted:

Advertisement
  • gripandripgripandrip  1141WRX Points: 183Members Posts: 1,141

Winter golf is full of cold and lost balls in the leaves or whatever. A nice cheap soft ball I have found is the Bridgestone Treosoft. You can get them used online (5A quality) for about 12 bucks a dozen. Decent ball, good price.

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3587WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 3,587

I just stick with the ProV1 year round. Works well. When the leaves are out I will go to my box of cart path and found balls. Otherwise same ball year-round.

Posted:
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NC 549WRX Points: 297Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 549

I've been playing Srixon QST this winter. Bought 3 dz on sale at $20 last month. My normal ball is Titleist AVX or Pro V1.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661
    Callaway GBB Epic sz 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3-4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9°
    Mizuno S18 57°/11°
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls
  • jjrjjr  1159WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 1,159

Wilson Staff Duo Professional great for winter, spring or summer.

Posted:
  • TurbsTurbs  391WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 391

Another vote for the Srixon Q Star Tour, its a great ball for the 90's swinger.... cheers!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened.  1123WRX Points: 153Handicap: 11ClubWRX Posts: 1,123

IMO, buy up the Bridgestone E6 Soft or Speed balls while they last.

Posted:
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    1983 V-groove Ping Eye 2 Irons 4-SW, Black dot, +1/2", ZZ Lite
    1989 Ping Eye 2 +no+ SW 53* (gap wedge)
    Putter: 1985 Ping Zing 36"
    Ball: Bridgestone e12[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3707WRX Points: 476Members Posts: 3,707

ZERO compression core. Wilson Staff Zip. $27 for 2 dozen. Personally never hit one.

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • TrawlermanTrawlerman  72WRX Points: 65Members Posts: 72

Most of the year here in MD i play a ProV1 and this year switched to the Snell MTB-X. I have usually gone to a softer ball in the Winter but this year have kept playing the Snell. Here's an interesting video from the man himself on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=z79FDoMgP6k&feature=emb_logo

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3587WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 3,587

How can a core be zero compression? Wouldn't that be similar to water - or less?

Posted:
  • eagles1eagles1  1305WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 1,305

For reference, I play the Prov 1 during the summer season. I have recently experimented with the Callaway ERC soft golf ball now that we are into the winter months in New Jersey and am impressed with it's performance.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.