Hitting "players" clubs better than G.I. clubs?

1234568»

Comments

• BobaDefettBobaDefett  45WRX Points: 26Members Posts: 45

I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying I get an email anytime someone comments on this post, and the amount of single digit handicappers that post here is astounding. I happen to work part time at bayou oaks golf course in city park new orleans, We have 4 pros working. they are all pga certified pros, they are all single digit handicap, they do this for a living. Yet every other person who comments on this post also claims to be single digit as well. I'm just having a hard time believing that everyone on this forum is as good as the pga certified pros. It's like the guy on the range swearing up and down he hits his 7 iron 180 yards, and shoots 76, but when we go play he's just having a bad day and shoots 96 and hits his 7 145.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

I was actually thinking the opposite. If I **** up with my buddies blades, I know **** good and well it was me. I know you where be sarcastic, I just wanted to clarify.

Posted:
  • cliffhangercliffhanger spruce grove alberta 1767WRX Points: 211Handicap: 8.2ClubWRX Posts: 1,767

I like the analogy. This applies to a lot of things in life, like some guitars are harder to play than others and yet they are preferred by many discerning musicians. This is especially relevant to highly collectible vintage guitars. The feeling of nailing that riff or solo on a hard to play instrument can bring a greater level of enjoyment (and over time it gets easier). I guess It depends on the level of challenge one is willing to take on. Not everyone will commit to that same level of challenge. My guess is because of the potential for failure or rather the fear of it. If you do or don't, it shouldn't matter however for some reason when this relates to golf clubs (at least on this site) the reasoning to accept a higher level of challenge is totally unacceptable (or at least when someone claims to be better as a result). I've missed gears in my vette while driving with some of my best friends (some who are car fanatic mechanics), we laugh and carry on, no need to be embarrassed. I believe the less you worry about something, the easier it is (public speaking is a good example of this). From personal experience I went through a 12 week course, while I stayed, struggled, and eventually completed the course... several of my classmates didn't make it through, I respected their decision to back out as I hope they respected my decision to carry on. Imagine if they ridiculed me for completing the course because it was harder than walking away.

Posted:

Driver: Empty Slot at the moment
    3Wood: TM M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    2 iron: TM 790 UDI bent to 19 degrees with Project X HZRDUS 85 X (6.5) at 39.5 inches
    4-GW: TM P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat) standard length
    Wedges: TM Hi-Toe 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts both standard lengths
    TM Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches 
    Titleist Pro V1 (2019) 

All grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap (Trying tour velvet align on 3 wood) 

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• WristySwingWristySwing  373WRX Points: 212Members Posts: 373

I've worked equipment retail for over 15 years. The amount of legit good ball strikers I have seen I could count on my fingers and toes. The amount on WRX apparently is so high you would think you are going to bump into a mini-tour or 3rd tier PGA player every 2nd post. Like you, I'm not saying all of them are lying but how easy is it to be a persona on the internet?

Posted:

Driver -- empty

PXG 0341 13.5* - HZRDUS T1100 75

Rogue SZ 18* - Veylix Arcane 70

Titleist 917F2 21* - Diamana Thump 85

New Level 1031 5-PW - Accra 110i

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58ES - Accra 123i

Bettinardi or Scotty

• braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 5966WRX Points: 1,223Handicap: 10Members Posts: 5,966

After you've been here for a while you'll figure out who the true really good players are.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • ode1ode1  2944WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 2,944

In the history of WRX has there been a "blades" player that has went to game improvement and admitted they hit them better?

Or dare they do so.....it would likely turn into an episode of Black Mirror🤭.

Carry on chaps!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Williamsburg, VA 1224WRX Points: 150Handicap: 9Members Posts: 1,224

was bagging fitted p790.

had hard time with gapping.

just bought mp32 cuz it was too cheap to pass.

my iron game just got way better.

Posted:
    Cobra           F9 9.0 Driver w/HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
    Titleist          TS2 16.5 3Wood w/HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
    Ping              G410 19 3Hybrid w/TENSEI CK Blue 80 S
    Titleist          818 H2 23 4Hybrid w/TENSEI CK Blue 80 S
    Mizuno         MP 32 5-P Irons w/DG S300
    Ping              Glide 2.0 52/56/60 Wedges w/AWT 2.0
    Cleveland     Huntington Beach Soft #1 Putter 
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29182WRX Points: 2,058Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,182

I have used S59 but I wouldn't call myself a "blade player".

I have used those, MP32s, and a few other "players clubs"

I would say I prefer hitting GI clubs and I hit them "marginally " better with most of those margins being in the 3-4-5 irons. I am also a low index so maybe not a good reference

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra King F9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • mahoniemahonie England 2699WRX Points: 381Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,699

I’ve just put some CBs in my bag for the first time in years, albeit only 4-6-irons and fully expect to shave 3-4 shots off my handicap by the end of the season. If it doesn’t happen, I may have to call out the GI brigade for misrepresentation and peddling of misinformation!

I will report back in October with my results in order to get a full and proper data set over a full playing season 👍

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • 2Down2Down  218WRX Points: 102Handicap: 4.2Members Posts: 218

I have been playing since the late sixties, in all that time my handicap only improved after I had a lesson. I switched irons back and forth several times but my handicap never reflected those changes so I play what I like.

Think I played your course in New Orleans you may have been the guy who warned me about the smart **** crows maybe robbing my cart, they did.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ tensi orange s
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 15°  Aldila NV 2KXV 75 Green w/Cobra smart grip
    Adams 9031 18° Mitsubishi diamana
    Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
    Mizuno MP5 5-W KBS tour 120 S
    Vokey sm7 50° 12° b
    Mizuno T7 54° 12°b
    Ping glide 2 58°. ES
    Ping anser f titanium pixel
    Pro V1

• chippa13chippa13  2508WRX Points: 267Members Posts: 2,508

The improvement would be dependent on how often you typically use those clubs in a given round and what types of issues you had with them. But to be realistic, I wouldn't think replacing only 3 clubs in the 4/5/6 would shave 4 strokes. You're asking for an almost 1/3 reduction in your handicap which is a sizable change.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mantanmantan  2618WRX Points: 200Handicap: 13.5Members Posts: 2,618

I've been on WRX forever. If you blotted out the club models, this exact same thread has played out every quarter for 15 years.

Buy and play what you like. These threads almost feel like someone looking for validation of their purchase instead of just enjoying it.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 1/10/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • boycer11boycer11  3564WRX Points: 159ClubWRX Posts: 3,564

Play to about a 6.5 hc. Hit the mavrik, taylormade p790, mizuno hotmetal and mp20 hmb, blade. I hit the mp20 blade the best tonight. P790 was a close 2nd.

Couldn't believe it. Iron game is the worst part of my game and have always gone forgiving

Posted:
    Ping G410 lst diamana bf
    Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
    Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
    Callaway MD5 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 5966WRX Points: 1,223Handicap: 10Members Posts: 5,966

Don't be a Debbie Downer man. Take away these threads and threads about Tiger,Phil, and Reed and what are we going to talk about?😁

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 2017WRX Points: 1,235Handicap: SnowMembers Posts: 2,017

This is really funny. I played with my fiancé’s brother in law who was a club pro for a bit (liar type... called himself head pro but I seriously doubt that). Anyways he says he’s a 2 and that he used to be scratch. I’d never golfed with him until this past summer. I haven’t been golfing all that long and at the time was playing off 8 or 9 (I play or practice every day so probably 10 years worth to many though!). You could tell he had a swing but he shot 96 while taking a lot of liberties and lost an entire box of pro v1. I shot 78 and he was not pleased. Definition of a vanity cap. He played in a tournament with my FIL and same thing high 80s. I think the amount of vanity caps vs sandbaggers is probably massive. People including a lot of 3ft gimmies and brekky balls.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Titleist 818 H1 23° Aldila Rogue 85x
    Srixon z785 4-PW DG TI X100 Wilson Staff Blade 4-PW KBS C-Taper Black S+
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M DG TI S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Pro V1x/TP5x

• Sean2Sean2  31325WRX Points: 534Members Posts: 31,325

It's possible to hit an MB better than a GI. A friend of mine made the switch. Just because it is unlikely doesn't mean it is impossible.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6925WRX Points: 997Handicap: 7Members Posts: 6,925

Been seeing comments like yours even more often than I see blade vs CB threads, for 20+ years, LOL. The population of golfers on WRX is not representative of what you see at your local muni, or even your local private club. This is the lunatic fringe of golfers, only those who are really into golf, and/or the sticks we use to hit those little balls around a field.

I used to think I was a pretty long hitter, 20 years ago. Never ran into anyone who was longer, occasionally some that were as long. Discovered there were some golf forumites in my area, there was some chatter about meeting up and playing, set up a round of golf with one of them. May, 2000, if anyone cares; we were still playing sub-300cc drivers, he was using the Titleist Professional 90.

Didn't pay attention to what he was hitting on each hole, until we got to a par 4. It was about 400 yds. I hit driver, hit one in the fairway with my KZG MP, was happy with it. He steps up with his Steelhead 3w, and promptly airmails my tee shot, by quite a bit. He'd hit it so far by me I had him use his Bushnell to see just how far it went, it was 320. He'd shorthopped a tree with a double cross draw. Guess I wasn't all that long a hitter.

If this were an isolated incident, it would be no big deal, but it's been anything but that. I've met at least a couple dozen golf forumites, hdcps ranging from plus to over 20, swingspeeds ranging from 90s to long drive competitor. None of these guys have been lying, or even exaggerating. Interestingly, I've found some may have understated it a bit (one long drive level guy in particular).

Point of all this drivel... don't assume what you see on WRX bears any resemblance to what you see at your local course, or in your local store/fitting studio. We're collectively atypical.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6925WRX Points: 997Handicap: 7Members Posts: 6,925

That's exactly why I switched to the clubs I did, back in 2001. The results were light years different.

My test club was an MP14, but I was too cheap to buy a set back then. I've often wondered how life would be different if I had gone with them. If at all. LOL

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5

• wfrogge1wfrogge1  1271WRX Points: 210Members Posts: 1,271

You are on a niche forum and are surprised a lot of the members are low handicap players? Anyways here is a quick cut and paste from my email showing my handicap at its lowest. Right now I am in the upper single digits due to nagging injuries since this time period but im working on it.

Not sure why I have to validate myself but here you go. Scrubbed out my name and part of my GHIN but I think you get the point

YOUR UPDATED USGAHANDICAP IS:

Name: 

Club: Fair Oaks Golf ClubClub #: 27-415-01

Scores Posted: 0GHIN #: 0974

USGA HCP Index: 3.0

Effective Date: 04/15/2018CH: 3

Posted:
  • PhlashPhacePhlashPhace  43WRX Points: 14Members Posts: 43

Good response. I'm a legit +2 or +3 and rather than posting my handicap you can pm me and I'll send you links to my tournament results.

Back to the topic, I've played some form a blades since right before college. Every winter I get a bug and decide to try something more game improvement, buy them, and then sell them a month or two later (at a substantial loss). I don't really work the ball so my benefitting from a blade is arguable but I just hit a smaller headed iron better and always have.

Posted:

Advertisement

I'm not sure why you had to validate yourself either, the first line of my statement was "I'm not calling you a liar".

Posted:
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1  1271WRX Points: 210Members Posts: 1,271

Because your post says that you are not calling me a liar but you don’t believe me..... not that it makes my original point any more valid but there you have my handicap

Posted:

My story is similar, but driving range demo "contest" of sorts. The results were only slightly less stark than yours.

Which then turned into a Golden Ram purchase, and several Ram vs CB on-course contests. 😁

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

• Jesse SanchezJesse Sanchez The Knife  291WRX Points: 87Handicap: 8.0Members Posts: 291

Just want to say that i learned how to play golf with a set of Wilson Staff Blades, 1-SW. Glade i did, most should learn to play MB's. JMO.

Posted:
  • mahoniemahonie England 2699WRX Points: 381Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,699

My 18 year-old son has just started to play and somehow my MP4s have found their way into his bag and I’ve had to buy a new set! He’s pretty much striping them after a few months practice 👍

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.