Pro V1 vs Chrome Soft

DoubleDrops ·  
DoubleDropsDoubleDrops  84WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 84

I’m looking for opinions on these 2 balls only- Pro V1 and Chrome Soft. Which do you prefer and why?

Posted:

Comments

• SecondShotSecondShot # Germany 141WRX Points: 56Handicap: 9Members Posts: 141

Pro V1 is firmer and longer for me. For me the Chrome Soft is too soft.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    3-wood: TaylorMade M4 15° - MCA TENSEI CK Blue Fairway 65 S
    Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 19° - Aldila Rogue Max 85H S
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB (3), MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F, 54.14F, 58.12D) - KBS Tour S
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - KBS CT Tour
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LondonerLondoner  1336WRX Points: 167Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,336

Something with the chromesoft does not add up to me it feels like a soft ball but does not play like a soft ball.

My preferred pro v1 alternative is the Srixon AD333 tour (uk name).

Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16298WRX Points: 687Handicap: Low-Mid SDMembers Posts: 16,298

Chrome Soft feels nice but it compresses too much for me, ProV not as much. So, between the two I'll stick with ProV as the ball I usually play when it's cold outside or in inclimate weather. Otherwise, my first love is ProV1x.

FYI, the ball Phil Michelson plays and many other tour players is not the same ball that's found in the LGS.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Red 62 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110cw & i125cw "S"
    SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i125cw "S"
    SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 or ProV1X

How do they get away with that and why don't they market the one they DO play?

Posted:
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16298WRX Points: 687Handicap: Low-Mid SDMembers Posts: 16,298

Phil's ball is like Tigers ball - 99% of the golfers couldn't play the ball so there's no market. Like the clubs used by tour pros, OEM's sell the name not the clubs specs that tour players use. Not many average Joe golfers can hit a 7-8* driver or 13* strong wood or 17* 2 iron.

To know what I mean, if you can get your hands on a Balata tour 90 ball, play 18 holes with it and see how you do. That ball and Professional 100 are the balls I learned the game with, both are difficult to control. Today, for different reasons most people would get no distance with either of them.

Posted:
    SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 or ProV1X

• Broke100Broke100  78WRX Points: 22Members Posts: 78

I'm pretty sure that I loose Chrome Soft more slowly. From what I can tell, they feel better/softer. I'm a high handicap golfer.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dmac4gdmac4g  1327WRX Points: 213Members Posts: 1,327

Between the 2 choices, Pro V1 wins every day. Callaway did not help themselves with some of the production issues earlier this year. Hard to stand up there with the thought of; "is the core really in the center or is it squished to one side?"

Posted:

Ive played balata 90 , like hitting a marshmallow. What about the balls that they use would make them unplayable? Cover material? Compression?

Posted:
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60

Don't know cover material or compression, just most people don't have the swing speed and proper impact to compress the ball enough to spin them. That was true back with Professional 100, it was noticeably harder than Professional 90.

Posted:
    SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 or ProV1X

• bluedotbluedot  3624WRX Points: 340Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 3,624

According to the best testing (by Today's Golfer) the Chrome Soft is three yards shorter, three yards more crooked, and spins 500 rpms less off a wedge than a ProV1.

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6479WRX Points: 1,005Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 6,479

What are the markings on Phil's Chrome Soft ? I'd like to look it up on the conforming ball list.

TIA

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

Advertisement
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3116WRX Points: 517Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,116

Phil’s ball is the CSx Triple Track that is available at retail everywhere. While Tiger uses the B XS which is the same as the retail ball.

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° driver Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2393WRX Points: 799Members Posts: 2,393

Except tigers ball is the retail version of the b xs and phils ball has been offered at retail packaged as the csx triple track but callaway don’t really want to come out and say that especially after the **** ball study.

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1664WRX Points: 216Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,664

Phil’s ball is and has been notably compared to the harder X versions of balls because the spins them too much. These things are like rocks.

Tiger uses the BXS off the shelf model which is lower in compression and has a lot more spin but, is equally as fast of a ball.

Phil is notorious for switching and messing with equipment and balls are no different. He has changed special blended models.

Posted:

I am not an equipment junky or ho so it doesn't surprise me to see his ball on the BS site. I just read it's promoted much like a novelty ball connected to Woods fundraising. I suspect his current ball isn't the same level of ball that he use to play. Years back tour guys that played with TW in match events made their frustration with TW's ball known.

TM now makes TW's exact irons/specs available to custom order. Given TW plays really weak lofts and older blade specs plus their cost, I doubt they will be actually used by many. They are more for collectors. Additionally, given most Tour players are required though sponsor contacts to test equipment, a lot of what is played on tour often is in some stage of prototype/development, so never makes it to retail.

Posted:
    SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 or ProV1X

Depending on ones interpretation Tiger has played the same ball since Nike sponsorship. The ball was made by bridgestone for Nike and stayed that way for quite sometime, it was an easy switch to bridgestone for him because it’s been the same ball.

as for the tw irons I think many are playing them even if only as a backup set. They are weaker lofts than today’s irons and there’s a niche crowd that likes the 48* pw and lofts of that era. I’m sure some are going to buy just to collect but there’s probably more buying to play than collect.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • storm319storm319 US 4019WRX Points: 292Members Posts: 4,019

Nike simply outsourced production to Bridgestone from ~2000 to 2011 when they switched to either Foremost (Taiwan) or Phantom (China). Nike actually had their own design team led by Rock Ishikawa (who previously worked for Bridgestone and now works for Callaway), so it was definitely not that simple (especially the RZN balls at the end of Nike’s tenure).

My guess is that Tiger tried every major OEM urethane ball, narrowed it down to what he would actually play as a starting point, and then let his agent handle the rest. While money would not be the primary motivator in this situation, it may have been a deciding factor along with the company’s promise to work on creating a ball that better fit his needs in the next cycle.

Posted:
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy  829WRX Points: 236Handicap: 9Members Posts: 829

I’ve tried multiple versions of the CS over the years and wanted it to work for me, but I’ve given up on it. It doesn’t bite as much around the greens for me, balloons off the driver, and also yields an occasional “bomb” off the putter blade. I like the CSx better, but I still don’t consider it as good as the ProV family.

I don’t love the current ProV1. It is a great all around ball, and very “consistent” but isn’t necessarily the best at any one thing to me. I do, however, love the current ProV1x. It is long off the driver, very consistent, and bites the best of any ball except maybe the z-Star around the greens.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Hougz79Hougz79  374WRX Points: 94Members Posts: 374

I’d go PV1 all day every day.

The best thing about CS/CSX is the Truvis. I actually really like the pattern. I have tried to like the ball and never really got it to work. PV1, Tour BX, and Z Star XV are my choices of game balls.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9*, Tensei AV 65X
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Tensei AV 75X
    Callaway Apex 19 20*, GD AD-IZ 95 S
    Ping i210 4-PW DG 120 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 58D 
    Taylor Made Spider X
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1664WRX Points: 216Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,664

They’re both amazing. I just wish you could take the truvis and slap it on a ProV1. I’m gonna get **** for that but, a man wants what he wants

Posted:
  • RobDMBRobDMB  399WRX Points: 77Handicap: 15Members Posts: 399

How about the Prov 1 versus Chrome Soft X Triple Track? Is it correct there will be no new Prov1 for 2020 and it will carryover?

Posted:
    Ping Anser 9.5* Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Wood
    Ping i20 Hybrid
    Srixon Z765 4-AW Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant

Advertisement

Correct no Prov1 for 2020 since they are on 2 year cycles and come out in odd years with the latest version being this year release

Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now) 4052WRX Points: 412Handicap: 10Members Posts: 4,052

For me this is how it has worked out on course:

ProV1: I like the feel putting and spin off the irons. Long off the tee, but...more likely to go sideways off driver on less than perfect strikes for some reason. A bit longer than the Chrome Soft, but not enough to overcome the sideways tee ball issue. ( I also like the Wilson Staff FG Tour, but have the same tee ball issue with it, just not as extreme)

Chrome Soft: Great all around ball for my game. Great feel off the putter, good wedge and iron spin/control and long off the tee, and seems to fly a bit straighter on slight mis hits with driver.

I could play ProV1 or 1x, but I get more consistent results with the CS. And The CS is better priced

Current Ball is B RXS, CS or FG Tour

Me: 58yo, 8-9 index, 90-95 driver swing speed. 150 7 iron.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS 
    G 410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80s
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1
    Chrome Soft / TourB RXS / FG Tour
  • eric13eric13  62WRX Points: 53Members Posts: 62

I’ve found the CS to be softer (and perfect for my swing speed) than the V1.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2  31447WRX Points: 672Members Posts: 31,447

I prefer the ProV1x...for me it is more responsive around the green.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. 

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is, and not as it should be. 

• craz-ecraz-e  4288WRX Points: 386Handicap: 3Members Posts: 4,288

I could play either to be honest they are both excellent balls. Chromesoft a little softer. I read the reviews on the chromesoft and it’s issues with QC which put me off them but after receiving another dozen as a gift and giving them a try have had no issues. The price is good too!

Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX

Advertisement
  • PulledabillPulledabill  435WRX Points: 67Handicap: 6Members Posts: 435

Iove the ProV1 and like the CS.The CS works for me when its cooler out but is too soft for my liking when wsrm or hot out. Feels like mush. I feel like I can control the spin more with the ProV1.

Posted:
  • Ben BerubeBen Berube Benny B  3004WRX Points: 417Handicap: 5Members Posts: 3,004

You guys are crazy. The Pros play the exact same ball we can buy. So many think Tour Issue gear is manufactured in some far off land completely seperate from retail. Wrong.

i know a couple who work for Titliest. Husband is on the Prov line and the quality control just goes deeper snd more exact when the Pros have their requests in. Same goes for the gear. But all comes from the same line as retail fellas. Its not 2002 anymore.

Posted:
    WITB
    - TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black
    - TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD  
    - CBX 18* and 20* w/ Haz Yellow
    - TI Nike Forged Blades - Raw 4-p w/ Recoil Proto 125x
    - TI Clevland Cg10 Tour grinds 54/60* w/ KBS Spinner
    -Putter  - Spider Tour DB/ VLine Tank / Tour Issue Ghost DA12
    Testing - Everything and Anything to try and improve. Golf is all what you make of it. 

• Ben BerubeBen Berube Benny B  3004WRX Points: 417Handicap: 5Members Posts: 3,004

Also try Tp5, hands down the best balls I have ever played. Otherwise I noticed loss of distance off the tee with CS/Pv1.

Posted:
    WITB
    - TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black
    - TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD  
    - CBX 18* and 20* w/ Haz Yellow
    - TI Nike Forged Blades - Raw 4-p w/ Recoil Proto 125x
    - TI Clevland Cg10 Tour grinds 54/60* w/ KBS Spinner
    -Putter  - Spider Tour DB/ VLine Tank / Tour Issue Ghost DA12
    Testing - Everything and Anything to try and improve. Golf is all what you make of it. 

Advertisement

Except they don’t. Look at the Usga conforming list. Titleist has tour only balls like the left dash, left dog, star with the left dash bring recently offered to the general public. Phil has played numerous drivers that weren’t available at retail and until Callaway released the csx triple track he never played a CS that was offered at retail. TM has lofts on the tour van for the m5 that aren’t available at retail.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.