2020 New Years Golf Resolutions

HappyGilmoresBoots ·  
HappyGilmoresBootsHappyGilmoresBoots Green BallsMichiganMembers  194WRX Points: 77Handicap: 18?Posts: 194 Fairways

What are my fellow WRX'ers resolving to do, golf-wise, in the new year? Using our boardroom/corporatespeak, what are some Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Based (that's SMART, but you guys are smrt enuff to fgure that out).

I'm not a lofty-goals kind of guy. My tip-top priority is golfing enough to actually calculate a proper handicap - anything I've done in years past has just been fudging the numbers and estimating based on a few formulas I've found. I want to get 5 rounds of 18 holes in this year, so I can actually, really, properly calculate a handicap.

Secondarily, I've got a few things:

-New clubs, as my current set is all pre-Y2K (drivers and putters included). As a sub-point, I'm that lunatic that walks around with a driver, a crapload of irons, and no less than 6 wedges - I'd love to get a more balanced set that's sufficient for a hack like me. Don't have a specific brand or timeline in mind, so this is sort of on the back burner.

-Play some specific Michigan courses: Manistee Country Club, The Heathlands, Bear Lake Country Club, Diamond Springs, and LE Kaufman. These are really more broad-scope "bucket list" type things and aren't really specific to 2020 (unless the Heathlands guy sells the course like he's been threatening to since 1995).

-Play 9 holes with one ball. Not "net one" where you pick up as many as you lose, but actually one. The ball that you hit on the last putt is the same ball that you hit on the first drive.

Posted:

Comments

• KjboisenKjboisen Members  149WRX Points: 80Handicap: 1Posts: 149 Fairways

My ballstriking has been amazing the past 2 years however College schoolwork and pursuing my career took a toll on my shortgame and it prevented me from shooting anything to my standards this past year or so in tournaments. My goal? Dedicate way more of my available practice time to pitching. 45yards and inward. If I get my shortgame back I see no reason why I wont have respectable scores this year and ill begin to enjoy competitive play more than I have these past 2 years

2020 is your year! Hope everyone sets great healthy goals for themselves

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hahanicehahanice Members  392WRX Points: 116Posts: 392 Greens

Stop trying to buy better golf

Try to qualify for a few amateur events instead of being a scared little boy

Posted:
  • tips09tips09 Members  337WRX Points: 119Posts: 337 Greens

Play at least one round a week as a walk up single this season. On top of my usual weekly game with friends. Weather permitting of course.

Also getting my handicap down to single digits at some point this season. After my first 3 years of playing I got it down to as low as 10.9 this summer.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5* GD Tour ADIZ 6 S
    Ping G400 16.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon U85 18* Steelfiber 110 S
    Srixon U45 23* Nippon SPB X
    Srixon Z965 5-PW Project X 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 3 48*••54*•••DG S400
    Cleveland RTX 4 60*•DG S400
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #1

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13539WRX Points: 2,406Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,539 Titanium Tees

Get down to scratch

shoot a PB of 67

gain 4mph of swing speed thru continued weight loss, training and improved flexibility and swing technique

be more consistent green side

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* VTS Red 100Hx
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6 - PW UST 95 Recoil
    Ping Glide SS 50* & 54* wrx 110 Recoil
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil 
    Piretti Matera Elite 

• Windlaker_1Windlaker_1 SE WisconsinMembers  48WRX Points: 38Handicap: 20Posts: 48 Bunkers

A better Winter regimen of stretching, flexibility and weight training.

Continue to putt indoors (I live in Wisconsin).

Spend more time at the simulators over Winter, to try and stay in "Golf Shape".

Probably getting fit for new irons. I currently have Nike irons, about 5 years old. I've been getting rid of everything Nike ever since the Kaepernik thing. I'll never buy anything with the Nike name on it again.

Posted:
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members  1781WRX Points: 320Posts: 1,781 Platinum Tees

Just stay healthy. A back injury and each of my retinas detaching within 3 months of each other took a big chunk out of my golf season.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

Advertisement
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members  561WRX Points: 195Handicap: 8Posts: 561 Golden Tee

I've decided to stop keeping score unless I'm playing for money.

I believe the scorecard is the one thing that prevents me from having fun on poor striking days.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST
    Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
    Adams Idea Pro A12 18 hybrid
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura 55
    PM Grind 60
    Scotty Golo 3
  • Broke100Broke100 Members  78WRX Points: 22Posts: 78 Fairways

More suntan lotion, take more lessions and shoot 90 or better.

Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members  3418WRX Points: 343Posts: 3,418 Titanium Tees

Courses wise. A trip to North of Scotland and a trip to Notts, Sherwood Forest and Ganton on way back.

Fitness. Back to Pilates and regular massages to fend off middle age and a desk job.

Footwear. Two new pairs of shoes needed. Looking at Ecco spikeless and some new FJs.

Bag. Imminent. A waterproof carry bag.

Irons. Au revoir shovels. Back to a more workable set with Modus 3s.

To play as much as possible seeing as fees are jumping above inflation. Again.

Posted:
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  581WRX Points: 721Posts: 581 Golden Tee
    • Equipment - Leave it alone, son. Got a spectacular bag put together.
    • Travel - Head back to the east coast and visit mom in Myrtle Beach and play some of the old courses dad and I used to play every summer. Bandon would be nice too.
    • Play - Gonna be tough to play more than I have in 2019. I can't think of too many weeks I didn't play at least one round. But hey, let's play more.
    • Lessons - More of them. Getting together with Monte in a little over a week to kick off the year properly. Irvine ain't far from LA.
    • Practice - More focus. I feel like I got better towards the end of the year with it but having some more concrete goals would be beneficial.
    • Fitness - Get this old banged up back in better shape. Too much time spent sitting around writing code over the last 20 years has made it weak.
    • Overall - Bring this index down closer to 0. Better focus, less **** around. Play the game I know how to play. Get back into some competitive play when I feel I can actually compete.
    Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 19° 22°
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 56° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• caeye0710caeye0710 Members  137WRX Points: 69Handicap: .5Posts: 137 Fairways

I'd love to break 70 again. I played about 20-25 times this year, and I think this the first year since 2008 where I haven't done it. I never got in the 60's often over the past few years, but I did it at least once.

Posted:
    M5 Tour Issuse 10.5* - Tour AD DI 7x
    Cally Mavrik 15* - Rogue White 130 70x 
    TM SIM Max 19* - Proforce V2 85x
    Miura MB-101 4-PW - Tour Issue S400
    TM MG2 Chrome 50, 54, 60
    TM Spider Black 34"

Advertisement
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members  1647WRX Points: 341Posts: 1,647 Platinum Tees

First and foremost. Play. I've played about 5 times the last two years. Before that I would play 80 times at least.

Second. Settle on new irons. My woods are set. ( M2 driver/3wood). Been playing 710MB's for the majority of the time since they came out.

Third. Try and get to a plus handicap. Being in my early 50's times running out!! Currently close, although it's based on scores from three years ago.

Fourth. Have fun. Even in tournament play. Be less hard on my self and have a better frame of mind through the entire round.

Posted:
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members  2098WRX Points: 384Posts: 2,098 Platinum Tees

Seriously thinking about joining an inexpensive club and changing it up. Grow some roots.

May play in a few tourneys next year to sctratch the competitive itch. Which means I need to quit day trading clubs and groove a set.

Then again I may not.

Maybe it will all crystallize when the ball drops.

Posted:
  • BobaDefettBobaDefett Members  52WRX Points: 29Posts: 52 Bunkers

I would say to actually practice. Like meaningful practice instead of just quick 30 min practices right before teeing off. You'd like working part time at a course I would practice way more than I do. Especially since I get the range balls for free.

Posted:
  • Titleist84Titleist84 Members  91WRX Points: 48Posts: 91 Fairways

Less playing and range time, more time on the chipping and putting greens.

Posted:

D: Mavrik 3W: M3 2I: GAPR LO 4I-AW: P760 GW,LW: TVD P: Toulon San Diego

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25366WRX Points: 2,509Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,366 ClubWRX

Play more golf and less scorecard.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  1992WRX Points: 278Handicap: 17Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX

I have now got all the equipment I really need and time to own up to it. I could use a lesson for sure, but not until spring. Looking for the right ball, but the RX is pretty good as it is. Looking at stretches mostly, so I can avoid injuries. I will always want a sub 80 round for next year, but as a 16 will have a hard time doing that. I saw 81 last year, but all the planets were aligned correctly. I mostly just want to walk nine and enjoy that. I really hate tournaments, don't really have the time for it, but may play 4 next year. The Fort Campbell Commander"s CG is always on my list.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54 Wedges
    SM7 58* D
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• IvyguyIvyguy Members  1618WRX Points: 274Posts: 1,618 Platinum Tees

Awesome topic.

Equipment: I have completely sold out to an 8 club bag. I started 10 years ago (wow), but have always wanted to bounce back and forth. No longer... need to settle on the driver spot, but will look to invest in a putter. I'm looking hard at the new Scottys.

Practice: Less mechanical work and more target oriented stuff with the regular sticks... The opposite with the flat stick. Play more, practice less. I feel like with the short bag, effective practice is working on a variety of shots from a variety of lies... I will be focusing on this more.

Gaming: Honing a "gamer" mentality. I trip over it at times, but fall out of it too often. If a shot or situation doesn't require full focus, then it doesn't get it from me, this leads to the next shot requiring a butt load of focus and it's difficult to switch gears for me.

Current to 2020 strengths: Currently, the more difficult the shot (typically) the stronger the result for me... within reason, speaking more about gapping not about "tour" level difficulty. I want my strength to be the easier things to control. Meaning, putting, short game and driving. This is where my strokes leave me. Even with the 8 club bag, my strokes are lost on poor tee shots and crummy play with 20 yards (yes, i said within 20 yards).

Overall, I want to hone more variable skills and promote a "spider man" or "spartan" mindset on the course. If thinking too much is Batman, and relying totally on physical stuff is Superman- I want to be instinctual and feel based. Work on some basic physical principles, allow my knowledge of myself and "golf dynamics" to enhance my intuition on the course.

Statistically: I average 5 fairways a round, would love to see north of 7.5. Putts pair with greens hit. So, I think a mor fair putting metric for me would be putts per hole... optimistically, I would like to see south of 2.... more reasonable expectation would be 2.3.... I have relocated from Vegas to Florida and I have to say the game is harder here. So, my handicap being at 8, trending up to 12 is expected/allowed of me, I would like to normalize at 10 (at least)

A little drawn out, but it's more fun this way.

Cheers to 2020.

Posted:
    Post edited by Ivyguy on
  • bvanlieubvanlieu Members  150WRX Points: 56Posts: 150 Fairways

Less short putts. I have a habit of leaving 'em short and don't hear the end of it from a few playing partners.

More methodical practice time: focus on what you are working on vs. rapid fire hitting balls which can make you groove the bad habit you are trying to work out.

Posted:
  • j.a.j.a. Members  1748WRX Points: 190Posts: 1,748 Platinum Tees

Shove 5 shots from my handicap, then I’ll see if I get new irons

Posted:
  • memphishornmemphishorn memphishorn ClubWRX  870WRX Points: 216Handicap: 8Posts: 870 ClubWRX

Try to get through 2020 with my current bag (😂)

Play more with my vintage equipment

Successfully defend both Match Play tournaments I won in 2019

Better physical condition, weight, strength and flexibility

Posted:

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue Stiff
    Titleist 915F 15* (set 16.5*)Diamana Blue 70 Regular
    Titleist 904F 19* YS6 Stiff
    Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Bassara Regular
    Titleist AP1 718 5-GW1 Tensei Graphite Stiff
    Vokey 52.08 SM6, 56.11 SM6
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2019 35”
    Titleist Hybrid 14 Bag
    Titleist Pro V1

Classic Bag
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1967 WM2T 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Persimmon w/ Aluminum Insert
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1971 Split Sole irons 2-Sand Iron
    Newport Classic or Ping Anser 1969 85020 or MacGregor Armour IMG or TPM 1
    Daiwa Black Leather Bag

Advertisement
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  736WRX Points: 461Posts: 736 Golden Tee

Easy: Stick to my pre-shot and pre-putt routines religiously.

Also easy: Stick with the putter I was fit for. It'll work if I believe in it.

Harder: Join a local league.

Related to the "Harder": Play more golf outside of my usual weekend game. I played exactly three rounds of golf at courses I'm unfamiliar with this summer. Not enough. This was out of 45ish rounds.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
  • jrr811jrr811 Charlotte, NCMembers  99WRX Points: 54Handicap: +20Posts: 99 Fairways
    • Gear - Clear out the extras and save some money this year
    • Long game - Work on straightening out driver
    • Mid game - consistency
    • Short game - work on putting
    • Goals
      • Break 90
      • Play 9 with 1 ball
      • Gain flexibility
    Posted:

Taylormade SIM MAX D 10.5* Driver
    Taylormade SIM MAX 15* 3 Wood
    Taylormade M6 19* Hybrid
    Scratch Prototype 4-9
    Scratch McCoy 48-53-58* 1018 Wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6m
    BB&F Imperial Ferrules
    Kirkland Signature Tour Performance

• caniac6caniac6 Members  3350WRX Points: 993Handicap: 4Posts: 3,350 Titanium Tees

I had a heart attack in Oct 2018, so last year was a lot about recovery. Played a lot of 9 hole rounds, and the quality of play was good. Kept my handicap around 4. I feel great, so I need to get back to playing 18 more often. After a lot of 9 holers, my body has recovered, but I have a 9 hole brain, and that might be giving myself more credit than I deserve. Trying to keep my head in it for 18 will be a challenge.

Posted:
  • Jeff_MJeff_M Members  15WRX Points: 21Handicap: 4Posts: 15 Bunkers

I want to put more time towards practicing short game, especially bunkers. My club is building a new short game practice area that should be open this coming season, so I'm excited for that and hopefully it gives me the motivation to get out there.

Posted:
  • Some Call Him TimSome Call Him Tim Members  84WRX Points: 37Handicap: 7Posts: 84 Fairways

My goals are pretty simple:

• Find an online coach this spring (I live in rural Nebraska and find the local pros lacking when it comes to good instruction)
    • Improve my driver striking. Currently hit my 4 wood as long or longer than driver and more consistently. I'd love to have a driver I can count on.
    • Buy new equipment - I haven't bought a new club in 7 years. My gear is worn down after 100+ rounds a year for the past 3 years.
    • Do more yoga and work on stretching, tightness.

Pretty short list. I'm a decent player mid 70s to low 80s and had a great finish to last year's season. Just have a few weak spots I'd like to shore up.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • uitar9uitar9 Members  452WRX Points: 118Handicap: LOLPosts: 452 Greens

Gonna join a mens league closer to home

Seriously thinking about retiring driver. (I like the rest of my game and don't want to spend more time being aggravated)

Posted:
    KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    KZG 52 and 56 and cobra 60 wedges
    TM Spider mallet
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  867WRX Points: 259Handicap: 9Posts: 867 Golden Tee

Having spinal fusion on Jan 6th. A pinched nerve toward the end of 2019 cost me a ton of distance, and I assume it hurt my swing somewhat as well.

So my first goal is to recover from the surgery and play again, and hopefully get back my distance, etc.

Second goal is to actually play to my handicap. It’s a long story, but I had a series of good rounds late 2018 and early 2019 that got me down to an 8 at one point. Then, a combination of work, travel, etc caused me to not be able to post many rounds after about May of 2019. Of the few that I could post, I’d play horribly in 4 out of 5 of them, but that one good round kept my handicap from getting “out of control”. So I’m in a weird spot where I’m a 9 handicap but would have a hard time breaking 90 if I played tomorrow, given how poorly I played toward the end of the year (and again, maybe pinched nerve didn’t help this situation any).

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • sirparalotsirparalot Members  758WRX Points: 110Handicap: 6.4Posts: 758 Golden Tee

My goal for 2020 is to speed up my pre shot routine. Played today to kick off 2020 (its a tradition with my guys that we play every NYD) and focused on lining up the shot and setting up at a quicker pace and then just letting it go. Shot 81 on a very wet course so a pretty good day. It felt good to push the pace a little as I find myself sometimes being too methodical which can affect my tempo. Happy New Year to everyone on WRX. Hope you have a prosperous golf year!!!!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.