2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Bring your own golf balls to an indoor fitting?

Fairwindsgolfer ·  
FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer  635WRX Points: 51Handicap: 4Members Posts: 635

I will be getting a fitting this spring and my favorite Connecticut facility conducts their fittings indoors.

I was thinking about bringing a dozen of my favorite golf balls to the fitting, so I can test the clubs on the golf ball that I use.

I would like to know if you consider this a faux pas or good idea?

Thanks.

Posted:

Bridgestone J33 combo 5-pw
Ping G400 LST driver
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Nike CPR 2 hybrid
Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
Callaway MD4 50, 54, 60 wedges
Putter- I hate them all

Comments

• SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy!  1196WRX Points: 172Handicap: ClimbingMembers Posts: 1,196

I would hope, and expect, a well-prepared fitter could offer a range of balls to use.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Michigan 3647WRX Points: 404ClubWRX Posts: 3,647

I don't see any reason you cannot do that. When I have been fit one of the questions I always get asked prior to hitting any balls is what ball I usually use. The fitter will then get that ball for me to use for the fitting as long as it is a current ball and available.

Posted:
  • FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer  635WRX Points: 51Handicap: 4Members Posts: 635

I appreciate the feedback. Surprisingly, the fitter I go too does not offer such a thing and it is usually a generic golf ball model that is available during the fitting.

Posted:

Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Putter- I hate them all

• SecondShotSecondShot # Germany 141WRX Points: 56Handicap: 9Members Posts: 141

That's exactly what I did. I highly recommend to use the same balls that you play. The ball made a big difference in spin.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    3-wood: TaylorMade M4 15° - MCA TENSEI CK Blue Fairway 65 S
    Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 21° - Project X Evenflow Blue 85 HYB (6.0)
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB (3), MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F, 54.14F, 58.12D) - KBS Tour S
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - KBS CT Tour
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
  • Colonel_SteelheadColonel_Steelhead O 893WRX Points: 81Handicap: 2HiMembers Posts: 893

**** no its not "faux pas". And if they have an issue with it, leave. You're the one playing. You know what ball feels and performs best for you and your game.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W,3H
    Ping i210 4-W
    Ping Glide 3.0 50 SS, 56&60 Eye 2
    Ping Anser 
    Titleist Pro V1
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Maine 20303WRX Points: 864Members Posts: 20,303

If you are hitting off mats, it will be a wash regardless. Mats will drop the spin rate artificially and skew results. Go grass with real balls or don't waste your time.

Posted:

Driver - ?

Fairway - ?

Mizuno Clk 19, 22/KK Silver 90s

Srixon z545 5-Pw/DG Tour Issue s400

Cleveland Rtx-4 (Raw) 48, 54, 60/DG Tour Issue s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Srixon Z-Star XV

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6513WRX Points: 1,020Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 6,513

It's a good idea but you certainly don't need a dozen. LOL

I seem to remember reading here on WRX that hitting off a mat messes up the spin rate recorded. I go to the golf store quite often and when I want to hit some balls I bring one of my own into the store. I DO hit their golf balls (usually Cally soft ?) from time-to-time and actually see little difference in numbers on the launch monitor. That said, at least in my experience, regardless of ball, is the spin rates register as considerably lower than they really are.

But the carry distances that I see on the LM are very comparable to what I see on the course and that's the number I really care about. The roll out shown though, is much more than on the course, no doubt to the low spin registered on the machine. I wonder if there's a "driver" and "iron" setting on the LM ? If so, I expect the LM is always set to "driver" which MIGHT account for low spin and roll out.

Net-net, "chicken soup". It can't hurt to use your own golf ball. LOL

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer  635WRX Points: 51Handicap: 4Members Posts: 635

I appreciate the feedback and as per the feedback received, will definitely bring my own golf balls to the fitting.

In a perfect world, there would be a facility nearby where I can hit off of grass but unfortunately that isn't the case around here

Posted:

Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Putter- I hate them all

• Mookieb10Mookieb10  180WRX Points: 69Members Posts: 180

I would make ask the fitter what they think, if they make some type of comment about the ball not playing a big part, run outta there. I feel like a true club fitting should also include a range of balls. You find a perfect club that hits your window and yardages but you need 1/2 club more spin, the fitter should look at the ball.

Posted:
  • BYKBYK Cardinals Nation 2031WRX Points: 280Members Posts: 2,031

Yeah, kinda surprising the fitter doesn't offer a sampling of balls to accommodate for what different folks use.

Heck just have some Pro V1s, V1x, chrome soft, and TP5s and you'd have most covered.

It would make me wonder about the quality of the fitting if they don't even consider that? Who is it?

Posted:
    Yadi for President
    Posted:

Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Putter- I hate them all

Advertisement
  • Mookieb10Mookieb10  180WRX Points: 69Members Posts: 180

even at coté’s I’ve had hit or miss fittings and that’s supposedly the best in ct.

Posted:

Well the **** with it..that's the place I'm talking about also

Posted:

Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Putter- I hate them all

• Gorlu52Gorlu52  81WRX Points: 24Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 81

I would just to be safe.

Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7975WRX Points: 284Handicap: ScotchMembers Posts: 7,975

Always bring your own ball to a fitting!!

Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • RutgersgolfRutgersgolf Lay up, Handicap down  75WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 75

Totally normal to bring them. But a quality fitting establishment should have a variety to try. Some places will do a ball fitting as well.

Posted:
    "Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda

Advertisement
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  1982WRX Points: 422Members Posts: 1,982

Whenever I bring my gamer balls, the fitters always perk up and smile. They know I'm serious about getting the most out of the fitting.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • wam78wam78  533WRX Points: 143Handicap: NAMembers Posts: 533

When I'm going to a fitting, I always bring a new sleeve of my gamer balls as well.

Posted:
    Ts3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2 or EFW
    Ts2 15* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 7.2 or EFW
    U500 2 Iron Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Bridgestone Tour B JGR h2 4i Modus 120s 
    Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-pw Modus 120s
    NCW Proto 50*, Scratch raw 54*, Scratch raw 58* Modus 125 Wedge
    Toulon Las Vegas
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29221WRX Points: 2,102Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,221

As others have said bring your own balls FOR SURE. Maybe the fitter will have Pro V1 's or something there but you want to use the ball you normally use

I use a pretty good indoor LM 4-5 months a year , i can tell you while distances are similar, the way some balls perform in terms of trajectory and launch is drastically different.

Like if you use an NXT tour for your fitting but play with a Chrome Soft....it's a big difference, even if total yards might not be that different. You might hit one of them 10% higher trajectory

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra King F9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club  883WRX Points: 110Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 883

100% bring the balls you will be playing. While they likely have what you play, no need to chance it.

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood, Ping Alta Shaft
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged  5-9, Nippon Modus 105
    • Callaway Jaws MD5 46,50,54,58/
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3
  • bluedotbluedot  3625WRX Points: 340Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 3,625

I repeat what most others have said: Take your own golf balls! Even if the fitter tells you that he has a variety, or that he can set Trackman to whatever you want, take and use your own balls, if only because you have no idea how many times the ones at the store have been hit. You won't need a dozen; two sleeves at the most will be enough, but take 'em! The supply of golf balls in a store bay is often not much different than a range; lots of different conditions, maybe even lots of different kinds of balls. I've even had a fitter TELL me to bring my own golf balls, which I was going to do anyway.

Someone earlier mentioned that the spin rate data off mats indoors isn't reliable, and I believe that is largely true in an iron fitting. But the particular ball still matters because of launch angles. Hit your own clubs first, of course, to get a baseline on that monitor; this is critical! You might know that for you a well-struck 7 iron carries 150 on the golf course, but you need to see what that particular monitor says for your old 7 iron; otherwise, the first club you hit might SEEM longer and not really be as long as what you are already hitting. And be sure that you pay as much attention to dispersion as to distance, especially in an iron fitting.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jpbovajpbova  97WRX Points: 27Members Posts: 97

Regardless of spin rates off mats is or is not reliable. My swing coach runs an indoor facility with three trackman bays. He has 2 piece ionomer balls for people to use. When you compare the data on the 2 piece ball to a tour level ball. The difference is significant. I would get crazy high spin rates at times with the 2 piece ball and my dispersion was worse. Soon as put a tour ball down the dispersion tightens and the spin becomes more consistent. When I feel like I block it right or hit a high spin ball, the tour level ball shows what I felt to be true more often than not. This was not an every shot thing, but definitely noticed more consistency in the data with the tour ball. If we are working on my swing with swing catalyst or video the ionomer balls are fine, but for a fitting, I would always want the ball I play on the course.

Posted:

Gunga Galunga Golf - My Buddy's golf photography page

• Jeff58Jeff58 Bend Oregon 129WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 129

Just to play fitter’s advocate...

If you have selected your current ball for optimal performance from your current set, and you’re looking to improve your play with a set with different characteristics, there’s no reason to believe that your current ball will still be optimal. In that case, allowing the fitter to select a ball that he knows best should allow him or her to provide the best, least biased fitting response.

While then verifying how your current ball performs with the fitter’s ultimate selection would be valuable data to you, forcing the fitter into a predetermined path isn’t likely in either of your best interest.

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1671WRX Points: 222Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,671

True that. To play a bigger devils advocate, a lot of people switch out equipment regularly to try and find a perfect setup instead of changing the ball which is cheaper. Dean snell always says to test 100 yards and in and go with the cheapest option when you can’t find a difference.

but yes to OP. Always bring a sleeve of balls if your gonna get fitted

Posted:

You bring up a fantastic point, but unfortunately the option of exploring the possibility of how a new ball will work with the clubs I'm being fitted for, is not an option with the fitter I go to.

Sometimes I feel that getting a club fitting is a process that you have to resign yourself to the fact that you might not get exactly everything you're looking for.

Posted:

Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Putter- I hate them all

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1671WRX Points: 222Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,671

Ya but at the same time, are you good enough of a player to really well and see all the tiny nuances each ball presents and how they react? My guess is not but, you are the customer and you should get your way within reason.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.