What were your best golf accomplishments of 2019

Comments

• BraxtonFullertonBraxtonFullerton Members  70WRX Points: 34Handicap: 21Posts: 70 Bunkers

Worst feeling in the world; knowing you struck it perfectly and then looking around the green and realizing your ball isn't there...

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9° / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 Shaft

Cobra King F8 One Length 4 & 5 Hybrid

Cobra King F8 6-GW irons

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54° & 58° Wedges

Ping Scottsdale TR Senita B Putter

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JayGordJayGord Emmaus, PAMembers  95WRX Points: 36Handicap: 3.5Posts: 95 Fairways

Shooting a 68, my first time ever shooting in the 60s

Posted:
  • deadon500deadon500 Members  24WRX Points: 26Handicap: 9Posts: 24 Bunkers

Very happy this year shot 2 69s on a par 72 home course .... If I can do it in 2021 shoot my age...........

Posted:
  • rdangelo1077rdangelo1077 Members  150WRX Points: 45Handicap: 7Posts: 150 Fairways

Worked hard on my game last winter and spring to get everything on plane and ended up shooting 75, 77, 76 in succession with some 79's and low 80's afterwards for about a month or two. I felt so incredibly confident after putting in the work and knowing where my shots were going to land the second the ball came off the face. Unfortunately, over worked the drills I had been doing although I didn't realize it which further pushed me down a reeeeaaallly bad road. Thins, fats, fore right, fore left, tee shots 20 yards in front of the tee box. It was mortifying and I wasn't even having a glimmer of joy playing anymore.

Finally set up a station where my phone would would record from down the line and mirror to an iPad in so I could see what I was actually doing. The club was so far behind me and my body stalled out more than a student driver learning to drive stick. Got out the other day and game actually looked ok for a few weeks of work.

Think I'm more proud that I didn't give it up and feel excited for the 2020 season!

Posted:
    TM M1 Aldila Rogue Silver MSI 130
    Epic Flash Subzero
    TM 790 UDI
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-P
    Mizuno T7 52, 56 and 60

• roughhaterroughhater roughhater Members  61WRX Points: 67Posts: 61 Bunkers

Well at the end of November, after months of asking, I gave in to my wife and we started playing again. We were avid golfers for years and when my wife and I lost our jobs we just couldn't keep playing. I always said we would get back to it but after selling 99% of our clubs/gear, time just slipped by. I would say that is definitely #1 but #2 has to be how fast my game has came back. Using a mix bag of clubs (to start with), being 57 years old and not being in playing shape; I was off and running. It is funny though, playing new balls that are seven years old, Cobra LD/F 5000 driver beat to crap and a borrowed putter, my third round was a 92. LOL right? Since then, I bought a used set of Wilson Di11 irons 5-PW (uni-flex steel), T.M. RBZ stage 2 Rescue hybrids #3 and @4, old beat up Cobra driver (cannon blasting, bomber for sure), Tour Edge wedges and Yes Penny putter, Sonartec strong #3 wood and #2 Sonartec Hybrid.

I want to take a second to remind everyone, you are not promised tomorrow. When you are on the golf course act as though it is your last round. Financially, physically and mentality the game can be ripped out of your hands in a second. So stop playing angry and start playing like you're blessed...you are! Man, I love this game!

Posted:
  • wely324wely324 Members  290WRX Points: 139Posts: 290 Greens

Decided to get back into the game after stepping away from it 13 years ago. Best round was a 74, and now I'm hooked again and excited to start playing once the weather gets warm again in NJ!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HackDaddy360HackDaddy360 VP of Dadding Members  129WRX Points: 83Posts: 129 Fairways

Lots of awesome accomplishments out there!

For me, it’s getting back into the game which included getting my handicap back to 0 in ~6 months and figuring out how to not snap hook my driver.

Most memorable outing was firing 67-71 over 36 holes at Gamble Sands in NE Washington (sick course and really awesome people out there!).

and to close 2019, and the decade that was the teens - fires 69 at my home club on 12/29 in not so warm temps (thank you putter!).

cant wait to get back to being competitive in 2020 - new decade = fresh start!

Posted:
  • SoloShot84SoloShot84 Members  473WRX Points: 203Posts: 473 Greens
    • lowered Hcp from 16.9 to 13.9
    • Won 1st place net stroke ($75)
    • Won Close-to-Pin ($50)
    • Made 1 eagle
    • Scored lowest round of 82 (Par 72)
    Posted:
  • Ngjg21Ngjg21 Members  926WRX Points: 112Handicap: 3.0Posts: 926 Golden Tee

Played my first tournament since high school (20 years ago) at a public course “club championship” off of scratch (which I’m not). Finished in the money (6th of 40).

Posted:
  • ttttttt1432ttttttt1432 Members  18WRX Points: 15Posts: 18 Bunkers

4 birdies in a round.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Yank8823Yank8823 Yank Members  81WRX Points: 67Handicap: 11Posts: 81 Fairways

@Carl Spackler3 More power to you, brother! Here is to a great 2020.

First < 80 round at my home track & won my Member/Guest, Calcutta flights last year!

Posted:
  • C6 SnowboarderC6 Snowboarder Members  109WRX Points: 58Handicap: 6.6Posts: 109 Fairways

Shot my age or below 3 times in 2019

Had a Hole in One -- now I have a total of 8 1/2 Hole in Ones.

AND

Played approx 150 rounds of golf in 2019

Posted:

14 Clubs - Good ones

• Sean2Sean2 Members  32461WRX Points: 2,435Posts: 32,461 Titanium Tees

I was having a heart attack during a golf tournament and just thought it was really bad indigestion. Finished the tournament and went to the ER a couple hours later as the "indigestion" hadn't subsided. The ER physician said had a I waited another two hours I would be dead. Every time I tee it up, I give a silent thanks for still being around to play this great game. And, while I continue to work hard on my game, I am a lot more laid back about results...good or bad.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Props to you Mr. Spackler! Great achievement. :-)

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Rapid City, SDMembers  890WRX Points: 169Handicap: 14.5Posts: 890 Golden Tee

Shot an 82 with 2 triple bogey's. Usually once a summer I have a round that breaks 80. This year, that should have been that round but had a couple landmines on 2 of the easiest holes on the course. Normally I would have fallen apart (first one was the 3rd hole, extremely easy par 4 that I was lucky to save a 7 on), but I actually shook it off and shot 39 on the front. On the back 9 I took another triple bogey on a 150 yard par 3 (the easiest hole on the entire course, this was about the only time I missed that massive green all season). Kept it together enough to shoot an 82 and was both annoyed and pleased with the result. Generally if I have a triple or worse, it is a struggle to shoot in the 80's at all.

I also birdied 3 consecutive holes for the first time in my life, so that was a plus as well! I've done back to back birdies before but never more than that.

Posted:
    Cobra King F8 Driver Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (14.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Callaway Apex 19 3-4 Hybrids (Project X Catalyst 5.5 Flex, -1/2" for both)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")

Advertisement
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX  4102WRX Points: 919Handicap: +1Posts: 4,102 ClubWRX

Where do you play? And come on over the the scratch tournament thread!!!

Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
    Titleist 917 5-wood - Rogue Max 75 - S
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46*
    Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50*
    Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56*
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 Gring 60*
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 76.5*)
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX  4102WRX Points: 919Handicap: +1Posts: 4,102 ClubWRX

Had a great year with some downs but mostly ups. :-)

On the "down" side, back spasms plagued me for well over half the year, but they have subsided. Taking a Tramadol and 2 Aleve before I play and I feel brand new, finally.

Changed clubs after 8+ years. Went from Bear Creek GC in Murrieta, California to Victoria Club in Riverside, California (where I live). It's been a good move, as the wife is now spending more time at the club than she ever has, and she's enjoying it very much. The two courses are quite different, which has been a nice change of pace.

Low round of the year was a 65 with a 66 in competition (Ojai Senior Cup) at Ojai Valley Inn.

Great (albeit wet) trip to Pinehurst with my son and the DC/Baltimore/VA WRXers. Wish it hadn't been so cold/wet and my back hadn't been so bad, darn it.

But my favorite moment was winning the Los Angeles City Senior Amateur Championship with rounds of 72, 70. Came from 4-back to win on the final day in very tough conditions against some very talented amateurs. No matter what happens, my name will always be on that trophy. :-)

Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
    Titleist 917 5-wood - Rogue Max 75 - S
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46*
    Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50*
    Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56*
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 Gring 60*
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 76.5*)
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20821WRX Points: 4,760Posts: 20,821 ClubWRX

I was going to "like" that post, but it seemed awkward. Since I've been playing at our course two guys have had heart attacks out there. One died pretty much on the spot, the other by the grace of first responders survived - these were over 10 years ago both within successive seasons. Your post makes me think of them because when those events happened they were around the age I now am, but seemed so much older, lol. I have a good friend who (I found out after the fact) was having some serious indigestion, he thought, his wife who was out of town finally persuaded him when some other things were happening he needed to get to or have someone get him to the ER - heart attack. Like you, he survived and is enjoying life, but warning signs weren't screaming "heart attack" at him and although some things were going on inside with arteries he was a healthy looking guy, biked a lot, pretty active - you just never, ever know sometimes. Happy to hear all is well - wow.

As a cautionary tale for others, and sparing a lot of details and strange internal reasons leading to misdiagnosis what I thought was off and on and persistent pain and indigestion for going on three months was an appendix bursting in slow motion. The morning I was in for a scheduled CT scan (won't go into other tests that went down or up, lol, the wrong road over a couple of months) after I left and went back to work the tech, instead of sending whatever off for someone else to analyze and get back to my doctor in a day or two, called my doctor and told him he thought my appendix was an issue and within a few hours I woke up without it. Funny thing is when the doctor called our receptionist (at my office back then) took his name and number and he told her to have me call him and didn't say any more and it was quite awhile before she gave me the message and I was on my way out at the time and called him then. He suggested I get there pretty much at that moment, I told him I had something I needed to send off for a client and it was important and I'd be there pretty soon. As I was leaving the Fed Ex place (after I went home and my wife came to get me, etc.) my cell rang - it was the head nurse at the hospital (her husband was a client) asking me where I was and telling me to get my a** there right now - so I kind of had the feeling I better do that and did.

Not trying to derail, but weird pains, "indigestion" seem to often be serious warning signs and we don't see them and sometimes they fool our doctors (my appendix was inverted and pointing "up" so the localized area of my pain wasn't where it "should" have been, lol).

Sorry for the diversion, but glad you are okay and hoping others read your post and understand you just never know.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20821WRX Points: 4,760Posts: 20,821 ClubWRX

What was this about? Golf accomplishments.

I don't really compete. Couldn't play in our club tournament this year because of elbow pain, that's about my limit, but I did play in a "comp" while on our vacation with two incredibly enjoyable and welcoming gentlemen who were over for it from Northern Ireland (one of whom finished second, I believe, in the "net" portion of the comp so while fun, they were also into it). First "real" tournament experience of my life since high school and it was real. ROG and everything, lol. I can't describe how much I enjoyed that experience and how much getting lucky on pairing made it a focused, yet really fun 18 holes of golf. I don't get the feeling that all tourneys over here necessarily have the same "vibe" but probably totally wrong about that.

So no real "accomplishments" but I had my most consistent season at my lowest sustained handicap level ever all with a nagging injury, finally shot under par on our back 9, got to play some courses I never thought I'd play, refined something with Monte that's been big for me and my short game is best it's ever been (I'm sure all here would smoke me, but for me, best ever and I expect it to keep improving).

I truly respect those of any ability who are inspired to and do compete, I've just never lived anywhere where that was a thing and never been good enough to put myself in that arena and love to read about tourneys, etc. from others on here, but also enjoy the individual progress stuff. Always a nugget to be found.

Posted:
  • jbucherjbucher Members  327WRX Points: 43Handicap: 10.5Posts: 327 Greens

Started off the year with an ace in early February. First one since being let on a real golf course at the age of 10, 44 years in the making. Having my wife as my witness was great because she was the one who got me out playing when i hadn't been playing in about 10 years prior to going out with her.

Played well enough for 10th place in our clubs money list, Our club is one of the 4 Seattle Muni courses that competes in the yearly Seattle Cup. This year was my first at the helm as Captain. Rookie captain still has a lot to learn in making the pairings and the captains responsibilities. Playing went well 3-1 this year and 7-1 in the last 2 years.

Hickory golfing was ok this year also. Placed well in 2 events and placed second in the open net div. in the Gearhart Hickory Classic in Oregon. The same weekend in Fridays scramble I was paired with Mr. Tad Moore. I have never been as nervous as the first couple of holes playing with the man who built my Hickory clubs. Our team finished in the Money and had a good time. Shameless plug for Mr. Moore's hickory clubs, if you're looking for some check his out.

Low lights I was hit by an errant ball at West Seattle, the guy didn't want to man up and look me in the eye when he was looking for his ball. My buddy and I waited for his group to finish #9 when our round was over, his brother apologized for him. I was taught to accept responsibility for my actions....... The year ended in early September as my playing buddy and best friend my wife busted her collar bone while downhill mountain biking. She hasn't played since labor day weekend and she is going nuts not being able to play or ride her MTN. bikes.

Lets all have a great 2020!

Jimmy B

Posted:
    Jimmy B
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/JimmyB

Ping G30 driver
    Ping g30 3 wood
    Ping G30 19* hyb
    WS FGtour irons 4-PW
    Clevland52/56/60 wedges
    Aoki fit 2 aim putter

Advertisement
  • Brunchz0rBrunchz0r DenmarkMembers  19WRX Points: 17Handicap: 3.8Posts: 19 Bunkers

Couple of things stand out last year for me.

Shot one under in a comp, which was nice. Playing with a former junior solheim cup player.

Shot one under while playing with my parents, that round was special because it was with my parents .. also I was +4 on the front.

Posted:

Cobra King F9 - Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Ping i20 3w / hy - Project X black 6.0
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 - DG AMT S300
    Mizuno T7 60 / 56 / 51 - S300
    Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

Thank you. I had this "indigestion" for two weeks leading up to the event described. I am not one to run to the doctor, let alone the hospital, and in now way did it occur to me I was having a heart attack.

I don't play at the level I would like, despite the effort I put into the game, but I have come to accept that. That said, I have a young friend who I play regularly with. He just finished his 3rd season, is a 3 HI, and his ball speed with the driver is around 180 mph. He is a great kid and has an inordinate amount of talent for this game. It is fun to watch. I am fortunate to regularly play with accomplished golfers...and what I am most grateful for is these fellows enjoy playing golf with me, despite me not being anywhere in their league.

Posted:

• dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers  218WRX Points: 187Handicap: +3Posts: 218 Fairways

I play in Northeastern PA out of Glenmaura National. If I had the time (which I don't) I would be able to play in all of the Philadelphia Golf Association tournaments, which are awesome.

Also I posted about my last 3 tournaments in that thread back in October. Post#930. Havent done any playing outside since.

Posted:
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  1981WRX Points: 276Handicap: 17Posts: 1,981 ClubWRX

I shot 51 on the front and was having a very rough time, than come back with a 37, one over. I birdied 10 and 11. This is my lowest round ever. From worst to best, it is golf.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54 Wedges
    SM7 58* D
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• BogeyBoogyBogeyBoogy Members  22WRX Points: 51Posts: 22 Bunkers

Broke 90, 3 rounds in a row and haven't done so since....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3342WRX Points: 985Handicap: 4Posts: 3,342 Titanium Tees

Walking , at least, 9 almost every day, M-F. Carrying my bag, and maintaining my handicap and distance at age 65. I had a heart attack in Oct. 2018, and have made a complete comeback.

Posted:
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy MassMembers  1197WRX Points: 210Handicap: 9.1Posts: 1,197 Platinum Tees

Shot a career best 76

Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- Pw Mizuno HMP Nippon Modus 120
    50  Vokey 50 Sm7 F grind
    54  Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    58    Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0
  • KjboisenKjboisen Members  149WRX Points: 80Handicap: 1Posts: 149 Fairways

Absolutely nothing. As a really good player who is having to deal with watching his own golf game deteriorate due to LIFE happening it's been crappy. High expectations for oneself and wanting to be competitive in tournaments.... 2019 was not the year. And 2020 is even more busy. But I am readjusting some of my goals and will try to keep it more fun this year

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.