2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Issues with Flightscope Mevo Measuring Launch Angle

I suspect that I am not setting up the Mevo properly. I have setup the Mevo ~6' behind the ball with the alignment notch roughly inline with the ball flight. The Mevo was placed on a small sandbag (for leveling purposes) on top of the Mevo box. The Mevo was levelled relative to gravity within 0.5° (I presume that the kickstand angle is subtracted out of the launch angle measurement by the software). I did not precisely set the distance value in the app to exactly what the distance separation between Mevo and ball was. I also did not verify that the Mevo was exactly at ball height (not sure what part of the Mevo is supposed to be at ball height - bottom, middle, or...). I used an Android tablet with the app set to outdoor mode. No video was taken. Relatively new restricted flight range balls were used off a mat hitting both irons and driver. Club used was also set on the app.

Here is what I found. Distances seemed kind of OK given the restricted flight balls. There was peculiar behavior with the launch angles though. Easiest to see with driver. My swing speed is high 80s to low 90s with driver. I got pretty good smash factors (low to mid 1.4s) which was a bit surprising given the RF range balls. My launch angle, however, was somewhat crazy. I was averaging something like 18° with a high of over 20° (driver static loft was 9° - 10° per OEM). Visually many of the trajectories were just not that high. I also don't know how to hit up on a driver enough to get that those kinds of launch numbers. Now my hubby swings driver a bit faster at high 90s to low 100s. His launch angles, even on obviously low shots, were still > 15° albeit generaly lower than mine. Strangely enough his smash factor most mostly in the low to high 1.3s. While he did have some bad mishits, he also had some nice center strikes that should registered at least as my strikes.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior? I expected odd smash factors because of the RF balls, but did not expect the high numbers I generated especially given the fairly low numbers my hubby got. Also the launch angles just seemed totally wrong both visually and logically compared to typical numbers most folks get. I have tried to contact Flightscope using the app feedback feature (send failed) and an email directly to tech support. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I've noticed my Mevo launch angles are high too, but I am not that good of a golfer and flip at impact. My mat may also be influencing those numbers. I have not used my unit outside.

If I understand setup correctly ideally you want the Mevo on the same surface as the ball - easy to do when hitting off the ground but not when hitting driver. I think people put the Mevo on the box when hitting driver.

What launch angles are you getting with balls hit off the ground?

Dave

I have only hit off a mat outside. The iron shots showed higher than expected apex, but launch angles did not seem crazy. The driver measurements just threw me for a loop. I elevated the Mevo up on the box plus a small sand bag (quart freezer bag 2/3 full of sand) to compensate for the height difference between concrete and mat + rubber tee. It wasn't super precise though.

@ThinkingPlus Obviously, the irons should be most affected with higher than normal launch angles, as that is the nature of hitting off mats. Obviously, spin gets a bit lower hitting off mats too.
The problem with driver is mystifying. MEVO should be placed 7 feet behind the ball when hitting driver (with settings to match), but six feet should be decent. Sounds like you're using the boxes properly. Bottom of unit should be flush with bottom of the ball. The fact that you're getting a reading tells me the covers of the balls aren't presenting a "read" issue.
Do you have a practice net that you could hit regular balls into, with MEVO set to "indoor" mode? That may give an indication of how much (or how little) effect the ge balls are having. When hitting into a net you can use metal dots. You can also place the seam of the ball perpendicular to target line (pointing at you when addressing the ball) and MEVO should pick it up, too.

No practice net unfortunately. I might be able to arrange something at another club, but might take a bit of time. I am going to be super precise next time with positions and setup. May try indoor mode as well just for grins. See if it helps. Maybe @FlightScope Mevo has some ideas.

• 11 months later...

I know this post is way old, but I have been looking at some of these flight characteristics lately for my game and reviewing Mevo discussions. I have a copy of Tutelman's Trajectoware software that uses either clubhead data or ball launch data to calculate typical ball flight. Handily, if you give it ball launch data it calculates clubhead data that would produce such a ball flight - and vice versa. I plugged in the ball launch data for your shot #5 (used that one because ball speed matched the average) to see what it would say about what the clubhead was doing at impact to produce this. The results are shown below with the input data highlighted in yellow (there is no info on sidespin, so this data assumes a square/square impact). The program calculated everything else not in yellow, and you can see that calculated carry and max height are very similar to your table. Clubhead speed is suggested to be a little less, but not completely out of line with your other swings. So the shot is a reasonable shot based on physics, not a wacky calculation. What might be insightful is the resultant angle of attack and dynamic(effective) loft. The suggestion is that to launch a ball going 118.1 mph at an angle of 18.7 degrees and produce only 1982 rpm of backspin your clubhead had to be moving upward at 10.8 degrees combined with an effective clubface loft of 8.5 degrees. If your club's static loft is around 9.5 degrees then it suggests you hit the ball a little below center on the clubface. The clubhead "moving upward" at 10.8 degrees is a lot; more than you generally get just from hitting the ball on the upswing which generally produces only about 5 degrees even for those who do it very well. Tutelman suggests in his commentary that very high values for angle of attack can be a result of (quoted from Tutelman):

Unconventional swing characteristics, like the wrist bending forward ("cupping") at impact. This points the clubface more upward than it otherwise would. How much of that that appears as angle of attack and how much as dynamic loft depends on what else is going on in the swing.

If this sounds like a possibility given your knowledge of your swing (or as might be revealed by slow motion video) then it could explain the high launch angles shown by your device. You probably already figured this out long ago, but I appreciate your post because in understanding it I learned something and thought I would share it more generally.

calcs.jpg

• Like 1

My wife got me a Mevo for Christmas and I've been having fun with it 🙂  However, I have noticed some high numbers on launch angle too.  I have a net setup in my garage, metallic dot on the ProV ball, no video, just data.  For the most part, I'm hitting 1/2 to 3/4 wedge shots (trying to dial in some specific distances).  Out of 20 shots, I'll have the majority between 28 and 30 degrees.  Then I'll have one or two that are reading 42 to 44 degrees.  I have a target in the net and seem to hit the target all the time.  Just not sure why I get some readings in the low 40's.  Oh well, it's fun to drill over and over for clubhead speed and carry.

Rod

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting my old thread.  I have been using my Mevo again.  Driver testing outdoors so no indoor with/without stickers issue.  Launch numbers continue to be high (16 to 18 degrees with drivers set between 9 and 11 degrees).  Spin numbers are crazy high (4500 - over 6000 rpm).  Sometimes higher than what I produce with a sand wedge. Any ideas what kind of problem I might have?  The spin is the bigger issue. 

I am going do some tests again today where I carefully level the Mevo, but that should only help take out an angular bias to the launch angle.  I am also going to sacrifice some non-range balls to the driving range gods and see what spin I get there.

If this is a Mevo specific limitation, would a Mevo+ be a significant improvement?