Winter tinkering - How's your kid"s Driver Swing Speed?

killer21 ·  
killer21killer21 KillerMembers  114WRX Points: 68Handicap: 10Posts: 114 Fairways

I guess this is a cheap way to see how my kids numbers compared to others. Hope you don't mind. It's cold in Canada so just putting in time indoors on the simulator.

Working hard to sink up the driver. Swing is doing good but the driver needs to catch up with the rest of her clubs as far as consistency of contact so it's tinkering season -currently driver length and shafts!

My daughter is 10 and soon to be 11 years in Feb.

Best Driver Swing Speed 71 MPH, Best Ball Speed 104 MPH.

Posted:
Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1730WRX Points: 1,046Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,730 Platinum Tees

Your daughter is in the 25th percentile for driver swing speed in the 10-13 age group.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • killer21killer21 Killer Members  114WRX Points: 68Handicap: 10Posts: 114 Fairways

Thanks, I think, but that is a huge age comparison. Not playimg many 12 or 13 year olds.

Posted:
    Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
    X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
    Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
    X-Tour S300
    Vokey 50, 54, 58
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members  1203WRX Points: 576Posts: 1,203 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

-- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

-- Get down with the sickness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw --

• killer21killer21 Killer Members  114WRX Points: 68Handicap: 10Posts: 114 Fairways

thanks for clarifying, cool chart!

Posted:
    Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
    X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
    Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
    X-Tour S300
    Vokey 50, 54, 58
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members  1203WRX Points: 576Posts: 1,203 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

Even better, great tests, looking forward to putting her through the paces!

Posted:
    Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
    X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
    Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
    X-Tour S300
    Vokey 50, 54, 58

Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3664WRX Points: 1,007Posts: 3,664 Titanium Tees

Chris Finn is a great guy and knows his stuff. My son worked with him for about 6 months. Had the pleasure of having several discussions with Chris.Number 1 predictor in distance for juniors is weight and size.

Posted:
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members  278WRX Points: 113Posts: 278 Greens

My son's 10 1/2, 52" just recently measured ball speed on a GC4 and was hitting driver at 111mph 18.7° 2850rpm.

Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1730WRX Points: 1,046Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,730 Platinum Tees

Assuming a 1.5 smash factor that's 74 MPH swing speed.

Posted:

• JuniorGolfParentJuniorGolfParent Members  184WRX Points: 118Posts: 184 Fairways

10-13 is an extremely wide age range at a very crucial time for growth. A young 10 vs old 13 can be almost 4 years apart, and up to 1.5ft and 50lbs different.

I’d say a 10 year old swinging 70-75mph is well above average and they are doing just fine. You don't see many kids that age hitting it 180-200.

Posted:
  • TimK1TimK1 Members  320WRX Points: 210Posts: 320 Greens

Kind of cool that with the same swing speed just a different angle of attack, the distances are dramatic.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3664WRX Points: 1,007Posts: 3,664 Titanium Tees

I am not a fan of that Trackman chart on Total. It is assuming that every surface is the same. In Florida this year there is zero roll out. It doesn't matter how much spin you have or not, the ball is not rolling out. My kid would be driving the ball 300 Total with that chart and he is not.

Posted:
  • TimK1TimK1 Members  320WRX Points: 210Posts: 320 Greens

I hear you. I have never used this as a guide. I am 56 and grew up old school. No numbers. Good old fashioned digging out of the dirt. I'm a 2 handicap. I watched an hour lesson yesterday that was all based on numbers. Nothing about swinging the club. It has no creativity at all.

The guy who was giving the lesson was not an instructor but just somebody who knew these numbers inside and out. The two guys he was working with seemed to just be his friends. I just thought to myself, it is a different generation now. This is how they learn. They seemed to be good players. One guy would swing and instead of making a adjustment, they would just go to the numbers. That is how they adjusted for the next shot.

My course doesn't roll at all either. So I heard one say, that went 240 carry, 275 total. The machine tells them they got 35 yards of roll, based on the spin rate, path and smash factor. I thought the same thing you are saying. How do you know your gonna get 35 yards roll? What if it's raining or windy or fairways are softer? So they both walked away thinking they drive the ball 275.

People are surprised to hear how little I know about my equipment. I have never been fitted based on this trackman. All I know is what length I need and what flex. That is only because it is what I grew up doing. My irons I have had for 22 years but only because they felt good and I hit them well. I only know what brand of driver I have and what flex. I could n't tell you what shaft I have, name wise. I don't care. It works on the golf course.

If a guy got fitted based on what I saw yesterday, he would walk away thinking the club he bought would go 275. Then he would get to the course and it does not go that far. No wonder people walk away thinking they got taken.

I remember buying my driver. I picked out three or four that I liked the look of and had a stiff flex and the one I hit the best I bought. LOL I still have it and use it. That was seven years ago.

Posted:
  • darter79darter79 Members  852WRX Points: 257Posts: 852 Golden Tee

I think a lot of how you set up your driver depends on where you live and your typical course conditions. If I lived in Florida I would be going for max max carry due to how soft it is out there. In our case being in Texas where rock hard greens and fairways exist I'll take the total distance setup to get as much run-out as possible considering she is still playing 9 holes and not a lot of force carries as of yet. I tend to think depends on your typical course setup which approach to take.

Posted:

In The North, I have never seen 42 yards rolli n my life.

Here is a pretty good swing. Close. Trying to get this consistently and tweek from here.

Posted:
    Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
    X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
    Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
    X-Tour S300
    Vokey 50, 54, 58

If you want, you can play around with Trajectoware Drive ( http://forum.trajectoware.com/app.php/dlext/?cat=1&sid=dc533c0de26809770f4d19c65a6ca71a )

Works on Windows only, but you can input your numbers and play around with them to see what changes in things like AoA, dynamic launch, swing speed, etc... will do. I'm sure it is not perfect software, but seems reasonably accurate.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members  278WRX Points: 171Posts: 278 Greens

My kid is 7 years and 2 months old, 47th percentile in height and a twig. Driver swing speed with Cobra Jr F8 is 58mph on trackman. Probably 60 mph if he swings a USKG UL 48 driver (lighter).

Posted:
  • JuniorGolfParentJuniorGolfParent Members  184WRX Points: 118Posts: 184 Fairways

Flightscope’s online trajectory analyzer says that would result in roughly 164yds carry, and 184yds total distance on a hard surface

Pretty good distance for a 10.5 year old I would think

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Posted:
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members  278WRX Points: 113Posts: 278 Greens

We usually see total yardages anywhere from 180-200. Depends a lot on rollout. He’s definitely one of the longer kids for his size. Better than average for his age for what we’re seeing in tournaments.

Posted:

This was a really great article. I had seen it before but never read it carefully, nor done the measurements/assessments discussed.

Based on this, my 11 year old son is a "Ticking Time Bomb", with power percentiles (all 25th or lower) much lower than speed percentile (50th).

I was particularly shocked by the shot put measurement, which was approx half the 25th percentile level!

Glad I found out sooner rather than later (the hard way).

Posted:
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1132WRX Points: 194Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,132 Platinum Tees

Interesting, my son is in the 99th percentile, daughter 50th and I’m only 90th.

Even more interesting, seems like I outdrive more than 1 in 10 golfers? But there I am 90th.

Posted:

Advertisement

90th percentile would be considered better than 90% of your peers. Am I misreading your explanation?

Posted:

• Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1132WRX Points: 194Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,132 Platinum Tees

Right, 90% means I’m 10 out of 100 or one in ten, I’d guess?

I don’t think those numbers are correct? If they mean if all golfers I feel like it’s less rare to find people out driving me.

Conversely, if they mean serious golfers, I would barely make the 25th percentile? Most of them would be better than me?

Posted:
  • darter79darter79 Members  852WRX Points: 257Posts: 852 Golden Tee

no 90% would be 90/100 or 9/10. That means you are better than 90% of all golfers the percentage you describe would be 10%

Posted:

Ah, okay. So, we’re talking about 106mph 53 years old swing speed that puts me on the chart at roughly 90%.

What I said ambiguous was that I’m supposedly in the top 10%, but feel more like out of 100 players I’m hitting farther than more than 90? Seems like much more than that in my age group? Even against younger players I feel like I might be hitting mostly farther?

Of the serious golfers, I’d put myself in the bottom 25%?

Posted:

My kids swing speed has literally gone up 6 mph the past 3 weeks.

Posted:

Advertisement

That’s impressive - what has he been doing to increase it?

Posted:
    Posted:

Working out at the gym with his teacher/coach since beginning of December, Super Speeds, Growth. I attribute most of it to the gym.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members  278WRX Points: 171Posts: 278 Greens

My 7 YO picked up 2mph on his 7 iron after a month and half of fitness stuff. I don’t think he gain muscle or anything, but just learned how to move more athletically.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.