Does color help you find your ball?

thechance ·  
thechancethechance  4WRX Points: 6Members Posts: 4

When I started a year ago I decided to use yellow balls so they would stand out against the grass and also because my playing partners played white. However, I found I'm not great at actually finding the yellow balls. Does anyone find a particular color that pops to the eye against grass?

Posted:

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3116WRX Points: 517Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,116

I’ve not tried orange or red myself however my father in-law swears they are easier to spot. I’ve been using Pro V1x in yellow since their release and have no issue finding them unless they are hit miles off line into the thick gnarly grass or deep in the trees.

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° driver Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake area 1995WRX Points: 236Handicap: 15ClubWRX Posts: 1,995

I was using the lime green thinking they would be easier to see, but at times found it harder to find. I’ve since switched back to white. But will try the green again in the spring

Posted:

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 11*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (19*), 4H (22*), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: PXG Bat Attack P, 350g, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0
    Ball: Maxfli Tour
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • PworldPworld  326WRX Points: 58Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 326

Yellow never works for me. EXCEPT... if im playing late and the last hole or 3 it's getting dark.

I have played with somebody with a orange/pink ball and i was finding their ball way more than mines.

I wish TM or Bridgestone made a red/pink/orange in their premium offerings.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ 9 degree / Titleist 917D2 10.5 degree

Titleist 917F 16.5degree
    Titleist 913F 21degree
    Titleist 816H1 24degree 5H
    NIKE VPC 5-PW
    Callaway MD3 52/56 Wedges
    TM Spider X (Chalk) / Nike Method Origin B1-01 Putter
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

Balls: Nike Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone B330-RXS, TM TP5x
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX  3693WRX Points: 464Members Posts: 3,693

I only use a white ball, but I’ve played with someone using the matte red volvik and that was easy to find. Almost impossible to lose, even in deep rough. Even easy to track in the air

ive also seen a blue Callaway and it was impossible to see. I’d recommend against those.

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint Louis 259WRX Points: 60Handicap: 12Members Posts: 259

I've been liking the matte softflis....the green and pink stand out like they have an LED light in them glowing. Orange is OK...havent tried to blue because i'm afraid they will blend into the sky and i'll lose them before they hit the ground.

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3581WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 3,581

My wife loves playing the colored balls. After trying them all the red Volvik is the easiest to see in the air and in the ground.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick  485WRX Points: 182Members Posts: 485

This time of year (in the northeast), yellow balls are more visible to me than white ones are, both on the ground and in the (typically gray) sky. But, during "the regular season" I see white balls better than the yellow ones.

Posted:
  • RP40RP40  141WRX Points: 116Members Posts: 141

Here's my take on the subject, based on my own better part of 2 years of reseach (trial & error) ...

As my vision started to diminish as I grew older, and I didn't just need bifocals to read but instead to even read the writing on the ball while I was putting - I also found it harder and harder to track my shots in flight, I knew generally their direction of travel, but until they bounced on the green grass I really didn't know where my ball was. And finding balls in the rough was getting even tougher too, especially when the grass wasn't really green - so I started experimenting with colors to see what I could see.

First I hit on the optic red ones, as I could really find them easily in the rough - but the problem with them was that once they were 150-200 yards away from me I couldn't even see them on the fairways/greens (unless the grass was half dead). Dark red and dark green seemed to blur together. And blue hues melded into green too easily, as did some other more muted colors.

Between all that, and the fact that none of the premium brands I preferred offered any colors, I had all but given up on my experiment - and it wasn't long after I had taken a liking to the new Titleist AVX (and ProV1, depending on the season) that it was announced they were being released in Optic Yellow, and I bought a sleeve as soon as I could get my hands on them.

So last spring when I was placing my annual ball order, I jumped on the yellow ball bandwagon ... And couldn't be happier.

Now, I'm not going to suggest that you're going to find yellow balls any easier than white balls (or any colored ball) when digging in the weeds or the woods - where only a strobe light is going to help - but you will know when you find yours, as they're still comparatively rare.

But the main advantage is being able to track the ball in flight - the yellow really stands out against the sky, whether blue or overcast, or even fluffy white clouds.

And I can pick out my ball on the fairway or green from upwards of 300 yards away.

Posted:
  • 596596 Lakeland, FL 3734WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 3,734

I like playing the Callaway yellow and black soccer balls. I find them very easy to track in the air as well as on the ground. The worst ball is red. I can't see them at all off the club face, in the air or in the ground. My second favorite would be plain old white.

Posted:
  • mokedaddymokedaddy  1295WRX Points: 137Members Posts: 1,295

I have found on the ground both white and yellow are pretty similar. Like said above I find the real difference to be in flight. It’s not a huge difference but being extremely nearsighted I lose sight of a white ball about 200 yards out and I yellow ball I can track closer to 250.

Posted:
    TM M6 9 GD Tour AD GP 6x
    TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
    TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
    Ping I200, IBlade 4-P KBS TOUR V 125
    Ping Glide 2.0 SS - 50, 55, 60 KBS TOUR V 125 - Heel grind, WRX grind
    Byron Morgan DH89 350g
    Best Grips leather grips
    Snell MTB-X yellow
  • chile7236chile7236  8WRX Points: 8Members Posts: 8

I've found I'm equally horrible finding the yellows as I was/am the whites...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey  498WRX Points: 228Members Posts: 498

I gave a few dozen yellow balls a try a couple of seasons ago and decided I could not see them any better than white, in general. And, in certain conditions, they were actually considerably worse for finding them in the grass. Particularly in the bright sun where the sun's angle against the prevailing glare against the grass was such that yellow and grass glare were virtually identical. The yellow ball was effectively camouflaged in that lighting. No bueno. We have lots of high, bright sun here in Colorado so I gave up on the yellow balls.

I now play white again for most of the year, but during the fall, I'll play bright orange or bright pink as those are the easiest to find against fallen leaves. Overall, bright orange and pink are the easiest to see, but I generally like top-tier urethane balls and nobody makes such a thing (well, Volvik does, but those are pretty rare and expensive, and not available used.)

Posted:
  • Tanner25Tanner25  6510WRX Points: 253Members Posts: 6,510

Yellow for me. Easy to track and looks good.

Posted:
  • arbeckarbeck Seattle 561WRX Points: 276Handicap: 14.5Members Posts: 561

I don't think a yellow ball is that much easier to spot in the grass than white. For that the red Volvik balls my wife plays are best. But for spotting the ball in flight, yellow is easier. It's easier against a blue sky and it's easier against an overcast sky. I also can see the ball easier from a distance when it lands on a green or a fairway that is very green.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • LondonerLondoner  1336WRX Points: 167Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,336

I tried the Wilson Matt finish in red and lime green.

I could see them ok but the finish made the ball look small when addressing it, like an old 1.62 ball (for those of a certain age!)

Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1664WRX Points: 216Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,664

I'll play yellow / volt / light green and even truvis all day, every day. It's easy to find. Very easy and I don't lose it in the sky.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 87vert87vert  305WRX Points: 60Lefty Boomers Posts: 305

To me it depends on the conditions out. Late fall with leaves the orange/red ones are easiest. Usually play the lime green ones (Bridgestone) most of the time but some times white are the easiest.

Posted:
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve  2636WRX Points: 490Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,636

Yes, generally. I've been using yellow balls the last few years, since my fav brands are making them. Another thing I like is it seems to clearly define my ball in my playing group since most players seem to use white. When we arrive at our tee shots down the fairway and there are several balls in proximity, I immediately know which is mine. My eyes are 67 years old, BTW.

Posted:
    • PING G SFT 10*
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 4h, 5h, 6h
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 7-GW
    • Cleveland CG16 56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • Hougz79Hougz79  374WRX Points: 94Members Posts: 374

For me yellow blends into the color shades of green, and I honestly don't see them well. Except for late season rounds on grey overcast days.

I love the matte red balls. They are like a tracer flying through the air. But at address they honestly hurt my eyes. I also am a fan of the Truvis patterns, I find them easy to see in air and in the grass.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9*, Tensei AV 65X
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Tensei AV 75X
    Callaway Apex 19 20*, GD AD-IZ 95 S
    Ping i210 4-PW DG 120 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 58D 
    Taylor Made Spider X
  • daleheaddalehead  1727WRX Points: 405Members Posts: 1,727

I’ve never found yellow balls any easier to see on the ground than white, especially in the rough where they may be sitting down in the grass a little.

Posted:
  • Singapore JoeSingapore Joe Major? Winner?  1647WRX Points: 116Members Posts: 1,647

I'd like a color that stays on the fairways but only white and yellow are widely available.

In the autumn/winter, finding a yellow ball can be a bit tricky from the midst of all the fallen leaves and the yellowish grass. I find it easier to spot the yellow on flight, especially against a grey sky, but was recently playing in Thailand where a caddy asked me to switch from yellow to white as she couldn't see the yellow ball in flight.

Here in Australia we get very bright days but unlike some others above, I don't find yellow balls hard to see in those conditions. Could have to do with the very exact shade of yellow and the sheen of different balls but it's also plausible that we have fairly big differences in the physiology and neurology of our eyes and may see different colors very differently.

Srixon Tour Yellow has been my go to color for a long time and I thought it's a bit easier to address than white but that's probably a matter of what one is used to. Played a few rounds now with a white ball now and there have been no issues whatsoever. In fact, I'm playing the best golf of my life. I believe that has to do with changing from Srixon to Taylormade. I speak English to the ball and a Taylormade seems to understand what I tell it to do better than a Srixon.

Posted:
    TM R11S 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 65
    TM R11S 5w Fujikura Speeder Evo II FW
    [ Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95 || TM R15 3H ]
    [ Callaway Apex Pro 3i || TM R15 4H ]
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
    Callaway MD4 54, 58
    Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16298WRX Points: 687Handicap: Low-Mid SDMembers Posts: 16,298

Color of the ball has no bearing if someone copes with undetermined degree of color blindness and or impaired sight. I am pushing 70 and still able to track a ball in flight to it's landing. I just don't like yellow or colored balls, they look unnatural.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Red 62 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110cw & i125cw "S"
    SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i125cw "S"
    SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 or ProV1X

• NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJ 1581WRX Points: 176Handicap: 15.9Members Posts: 1,581

The easiest ball to find that I tried was the Maxfli Softfli matte lime green - it almost glowed. I actually found it distracting when I was standing over it and gave it up but it really stands out, including in fall leaves.

Posted:
  • tbowles411tbowles411  25531WRX Points: 687Handicap: GolfClubWRX Posts: 25,531

About 99% of the time, I use a yellow ProV1. In the fall, I'll switch to white due to the falling leaves. Otherwise, I'm walking around in circles trying to find the ball.

Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**

• Ty_WebbTy_Webb New York 3184WRX Points: 392Handicap: +0.9Members Posts: 3,184

Friend of mine had a matte black one. It was hard to see in the fairway and lasted all of two holes. So not that. I've always found white to be as easy as anything else.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
    Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
    Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
    Titleist 714CB 3, 4
    Titleist 714MB 5-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2376WRX Points: 795Members Posts: 2,376

The best thing that ever helped me find golf balls was good quality polarized sunglasses. Color of the ball is irrelevant.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Twism86Twism86  449WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 449

I use the Callaway matte red superhots. I can track them well and they do stand out but ive also lost a few that have likely been hiding in plain sight. No matter the color, deep rough a leaves will always make a ball disappear.

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • rkillianrkillian  80WRX Points: 23Members Posts: 80

I prefer yellow. I tend to play solo most of the time. I can't say that in fall/winter conditions I can find it any easier than a white ball on the ground when it's not in the fairway. Even in the fairway, I can usually spot a white one before I see the yellow. I play the yellow because I find I can track it much better in the air and as such have a better chance of knowing what direction it went and where it probably landed. If I'm not playing yellow, I play a white ball. I played a blue ball I found once and couldn't see it easily in the air or on the ground. Same with red. Once a red ball leaves the clubface I loose sight of it almost immediately.

Posted:

Callaway XR Speed 9*

Callaway Rogue 4H 21*

Tommy Armour TA1 5-GW

Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW 56*

Wilson Putter

• farmerfarmer  8339WRX Points: 832Members Posts: 8,339

Pepper is very lucky. I'm pushing 70 and I haven't seen a ball land after a drive in years. Yellow in the summer is good, on dormant grass, not good.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • rtmhunterrtmhunter  5WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 5

I play the Wilson optic color balls. Red and lime green. I can see them and find them better than any other. For whatever reason (age or just bad eyes) I really struggle to see and find white balls these days.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.