Colorado WRX 2020

pseudoswede ·  
pseudoswedepseudoswede Fear the Power DrawParker, CO 1488WRX Points: 217Handicap: 9ishMembers Posts: 1,488

This is an annual thread for Colorado residents. Feel free to post anything Colorado golf-related in this thread. For example...

• Great deals on green fees or club memberships
  • Recommendations for Colorado club fitters, swing coaches, etc.
  • Looking for a playing partner/golf league/club membership
  • Colorado golf course news/reviews
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing shorts and a t-shirt ... in January
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing snow gear ... in June
  • Accomplishing the Colorado duofecta of skiing and golfing on the same day
Posted:
"In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Comments

• pseudoswedepseudoswede Fear the Power Draw Parker, CO 1488WRX Points: 217Handicap: 9ishMembers Posts: 1,488

Sitting in Disney Hollywood Studios waiting for our turn in Oga's Cantina. Might as well start the new thread. I may ask mods to move CDM's latest discussion to this thread instead.

Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CDMCDM  1957WRX Points: 240Members Posts: 1,957

Enjoy DHS. Was hoping we might be able to hit this weekend but looks like still to much snow out by Murphy

Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14880WRX Points: 871ClubWRX Posts: 14,880

I’m going to be in Broomfield all week. Wonder if any ranges will be open.

Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Fear the Power Draw Parker, CO 1488WRX Points: 217Handicap: 9ishMembers Posts: 1,488

To continue @CDM 's post...

• New Gear excited to use next year?
    • Any long overdue golf Trips planned for next year?
    • 2020 Golf Goals?
    Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • irvtrainirvtrain Denver, CO 1029WRX Points: 121Handicap: .4Members Posts: 1,029

Gear, I'm hoping to figure out a putter and stroke to stick with. Also experimenting with the TM Original One as my driver and fairway wood in one. I like the versatility but it is not forgiving at all.

Trips, hoping to get to Bandon again and play Sheep Ranch. Looking at Payne's Valley as well in MO. After that, not sure, really just want to play a lot of courses in the State.

Goal is to make it to one of the USGA championships. Realistically the Mid-Am but feel like the Am is doable for me as well with US Open a long shot/pipe dream lol. Other than that, shoot under par more often.

Posted:
  • irvtrainirvtrain Denver, CO 1029WRX Points: 121Handicap: .4Members Posts: 1,029

Walnut Creek has been open since last Wednesday. The range and course.

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks Irv, I’m really close to there too (I think ). But my goodness, was that wind cold today! Maybe tomorrow.

Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW  3400WRX Points: 219Members Posts: 3,400

Hope to walk 9 tomorrow, played some Saturday until the wife got cold.

Posted:

Saturday is looking like 48 degrees roughly so if the wind stays down that might be good for 9 or 18. Will be range time for sure.

Posted:
  • NoodlerNoodler  780WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 780

OK - let's try this again, now that I'm in the 2020 thread...

I'm thinking about my 2020 golf season much earlier than normal (usually don't start thinking about golf until April). I'm trying to decide whether I should play the GC Am Tour or the Golfweek tour this coming season and they both start in April (usually I don't start tournament play until May). I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on these 2 tours and other open tournaments that are well run and fun to play in. Working on getting my 2020 golf schedule drafted up. Please help me decide my tournament golf schedule for 2020. TIA :)

Posted:

I know @jacobEDGE has played in the GolfWeek Am Tour in the past. I think he liked it.

Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Advertisement
  • Coupeguy23Coupeguy23  26WRX Points: 46Handicap: 19.7Members Posts: 26

Looking at getting a round in this weekend, not sure where to play quite yet.

I'm OK with travelling just about anywhere, as of now its just me so if anyone has a round planned and looking for someone to join just let me know.

I'm in Portland since Monday morning for work but hows the melt-off looking around town so far this week?

I have a round at Commonground set up for Sunday, looking forward to it i love that course!

Hit em straight guys, and happy golf new year to you all!

Posted:
    Current WITB
    Driver - 2019 Callaway Epic Flash 9* with GD Tour AD-DI 6x
    3W - 2019 Callaway Epic Flash 15* with GD Tour AD-DI 7X
    3H - 2019 Callaway Apex with Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black
    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V6 Raw with KBS $-Taper Stiff Shafts 4-G
    Wedges - Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw Wedges 54/58
    Putter - Bettinardi Inovai 2.0

There is still a bit of snow on the ground, especially (and obviously) in shaded areas. Today is the last real "warm" day. Long-range forecast shows not getting above 50 for a while, with chances of flurries/snow every few days. If anyone wants to organize an outing to South Broadway CC, I would certainly be interested depending on my schedule.

Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

I managed to sneak out for nine this afternoon at Walnut Creek. Felt good just to get out, don’t think I’ve played since October.

Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

I've done GC am tour and it's good. There is a lot of competition in the Hogan and Palmer flights. Everyone is friendly and talkative. The obnoxious angry golfer is few and far between. However, if you're a champ flight guy, some of the tournaments had no one sign up. So I didn't play too much last year. Also if you're a scratch flight guy, the CGA points events are the ones you'll want to do as they're two day events with a lot of the fees go to prizes.

Posted:
  • NoodlerNoodler  780WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 780

What are the typical tournament fees for each event? Looks like I would probably land in the Hogan flight.

Posted:

Advertisement

Fees, I believe, are in the $125-$150 range. The cool part about the GC am tour is the majors, where you can travel to locations and play tournaments at nice courses. Those events are more but sometimes the entry fee is actually lower than the standard green fee.

Posted:

"However, if you're a champ flight guy, some of the tournaments had no one sign up....." 

I read that as you could of won a lot of the events, I am just a glass half full guy =)

Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker  4773WRX Points: 678ClubWRX Posts: 4,773

Collindale Golf Course in Fort Collins has not had a single round of golf played since the big snow just before Thanksgiving. There is still too much snow on the course to play. Range is open (albeit on mats). I need to start hitting balls to get back in the swing of things (sorry for the pun).

Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303

I am in Loveland every Tuesday for work and noticed it's still sticking to the courses. South it has been melting.

Today when I got up here it was 16 degress. The cold has halted alot of the construction work we have going for the districts.

Posted:
  • Coupeguy23Coupeguy23  26WRX Points: 46Handicap: 19.7Members Posts: 26

I played Riverdale Dunes on Saturday last week and conditions were pretty good, ground wasn't too frozen could even go for the green without bouncing off the back.

Wind kicked up on 17 and it got cold pretty quick but was a fun round, was playing from the tips which i don't normally do (guys i was playing with wanted to play them) made clearing the water on 18 very interesting lol.

I played Common ground on Sunday and it was pretty frozen and not quite as thawed out as Riverdale, would need to layup short unless you were coming in from 100 or less since greens were hard enough to bounce the balls around a bit.

Also as hard as the fairways at common ground were the roll-out was putting the ball in the tall grass which was making it difficult too find the ball on some very serviceable shots.

The wind on Sunday kept it colder than Saturday, but glad to be able to get 2 rounds in back to back and see that my swing hasn't fallen apart with a month long break between rounds lol.

Weather is looking good all week so hopefully some of the other courses open up, i have a Friday at Willis Case and Sunday at Kennedy so looking forward to another weekend full of golf.

I did count my rounds for last year and i played just over 100 days of golf (mostly 18 but some 9 holes thrown in there) that's a lot of golf!

Posted:
    Current WITB
    Driver - 2019 Callaway Epic Flash 9* with GD Tour AD-DI 6x
    3W - 2019 Callaway Epic Flash 15* with GD Tour AD-DI 7X
    3H - 2019 Callaway Apex with Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black
    Irons - Wilson FG Tour V6 Raw with KBS $-Taper Stiff Shafts 4-G
    Wedges - Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw Wedges 54/58
    Putter - Bettinardi Inovai 2.0

Advertisement

And here I am spending the past few nights booking condos for ski trips to Summit County this spring (and an Alaskan cruise).

Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
  • seven deweyseven dewey  558WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 558

I must not have the golf bug as bad as others since I turned down an opportunity to play on Sunday for free. I think I’m going to hold out for a little warmer weather. I’m sure in another month or so I’ll be jonesing to swing a club

Posted:
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
  • DancinDancin  344WRX Points: 108Handicap: 8Members Posts: 344

Wear your thin ski layers, get some good winter golf gloves and it's very warm and enjoyable as long as you go out after 11 when the greens aren't frozen. Sunday turned out pretty nice. I didn't realize Broadlands has great rates after 12 in winter every day. $35 to ride, $25 to walk. Maybe 15 people on the course, nice firm fairways, greens as good as anywhere public in winter and played in 3.5 hours.

Posted:

How many beers counts as a layer? Asking for a friend seven dewey.

Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

The huge cooler pocket in by bag is far more effective this time of year.

Posted:

Advertisement

Cooler pocket keeps the beer from freezing? Is it now a warmer pocket?

Posted:

When my wife and I went to the Ice Hotel in Sweden, The Icebar had a fridge to keep items from freezing.

Posted:

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Sounds like a time to drink something that doesn't freeze.

Posted:

Advertisement

it's like that old joke....what is the greatest invention ever? a Thermos because it knows when to keep hot things hot and cold things cold.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.