2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

2020 ball/putter combo set? ‘Will Revolutionise putting’

groovyduvey ·  
groovyduveygroovyduvey  25WRX Points: 17Members Posts: 25

Hello

https:// youtu.be/M6R5XTQHmN4

You will need to get rid of the space in the link, sorry, won’t let me post a link because I’m a new member...

Skip to exactly 7:05 in this video.

Rick S hints at a ball and putter combo coming out in 2020 that he is really excited about. Claims it will revolutionise putting, his words.

Anyone know anything about it? I’m assuming it’s just some kind of matching alignment lines/colours on the putter and ball. My guess would be callaway, but no idea. Just feels like something callaway balls and Odessey putters would do...

Edited for a typo.

Posted:

Comments

• Mclancy94Mclancy94  221WRX Points: 88Members Posts: 221

Odyssey Has the triple track alignment lines to match the ball coming this year, I’m going to guess that’s it without watching the video. If that’s the case then I definitely don’t think it’s all that game changing

Posted:

TM M4 12* Diamana S+ 60S
    Still Searching
    Ping S55 3-9 X100
    Vokey SM5 47* F
    Vokey TVD 52* M
    Vokey SM7 56* F
    Vokey SM6 60* M
    Bettinardi BB40 Blackout 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Mclancy94Mclancy94  221WRX Points: 88Members Posts: 221
    Posted:

TM M4 12* Diamana S+ 60S
    Still Searching
    Ping S55 3-9 X100
    Vokey SM5 47* F
    Vokey TVD 52* M
    Vokey SM7 56* F
    Vokey SM6 60* M
    Bettinardi BB40 Blackout 34"

• groovyduveygroovyduvey  25WRX Points: 17Members Posts: 25

Yep, if it’s a known thing that must be it. I did a quick and dirty search for anything but failed. You got any more info? I’m quite interested.

Posted:

Interesting. Looks like just the same lines from the balls printed onto the putters. The words of Rick in the video made it seem like it would be more than that, he alludes that the balls will be slightly different than what’s already available. That putter design looks like it’s matched up to the preexisting ball design

Posted:
  • SUPERGSUPERG  353WRX Points: 207Members Posts: 353

People lining these up at every single putt will

jam up courses like crazy lol. This much alignment is crazy.

Posted:

2020 WITB

Taylormade M5 10.5* Diamana DF 70 TX

Titleist TS2 15* AD DI 80 TX

Taylormade UDI 19' Tensei Pro White 100 TX

Mizuno MP18 SC KBS C Taper 130X

Vokey SM7 DG S400

SWAG Handsome One

Hah! I hope not. I for one do not align my ball. I don’t even use lines on my putter. My girlfriend however NEEDS to align, otherwise the ball is liable to go yards! off the intended target...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SUPERGSUPERG  353WRX Points: 207Members Posts: 353

my 4some is half and half, me and another dude use no alignment on the ball, and putters have minimal markings. The other 2 use lines ALL the way around the ball. They say they can’t putt without it, and personally I can’t fathom all those lines making any sense. That said the putter will

be quality, we’ve seen these models perform time and time again

Posted:

2020 WITB

Taylormade M5 10.5* Diamana DF 70 TX

Titleist TS2 15* AD DI 80 TX

Taylormade UDI 19' Tensei Pro White 100 TX

Mizuno MP18 SC KBS C Taper 130X

Vokey SM7 DG S400

SWAG Handsome One

• bwardbward  11WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 11

The model 10 looks really good to me with the triple track marks.

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 4027WRX Points: 1,143Members Posts: 4,027

No one specific putter/ball combination will ever "revolutionize? putting. Not even the ball that changed the ball 3,4 or 5 times now. It's nothing but advertising tripe. The correct read with the correct stroke are far more important than some random ball/club combination will ever be in spite of what a paid for newbie claims.

Posted:
  • NixLix26NixLix26  384WRX Points: 123Handicap: 4Members Posts: 384

I cant wait to see this. I do not use a line on putter or ball. Still interested to see what Rick is talking about

Posted:
    905R-8.5
    906F2 - 13*
    TZoid Pro ii - 2 iron
    Z785 - 4-6 iron
    ZForged - 7-PW 
    51* - Clvlnd 588 raw
    60* - Clvlnd 588 gunmetal
    8802 style TW Ram Tour Grind

[/size]

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf Ri 185WRX Points: 82Handicap: 14Members Posts: 185

Yeah i agree fully. There are certain putters though that help each individual golfer more than the next or last. Example tiger woods feels he plays best with a putter thats 20 something yrs old. That means the feel of the face the weight the way he can line it up all fits him as good as it can get. I have been lucky to find two putter i feel that way about but not to say something even better might ever come along that fits me. These seem gimmicky though. I allways find when i use a line to aim on a ball to putt that when i adress the putt it feels not pointed to where i wanted it to anyways so i just never use the ball line.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Twism86Twism86  454WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 454

Those putters are not for me, thats as nice as I can put it... Way too much going on. You can have all the alignment you want put if you dont read the green and breaks correct or dont have good speed they are worthless. All the alignment aids in the universe wouldnt have helped me on my missed putts.

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • CHall1525CHall1525  10WRX Points: 8Handicap: MehMembers Posts: 10

I'm in the camp of not lining up putts, I usually make sure there are no markings on top of the ball as i stand over a putt. Putting is much more about feel than trying to get everything lined up to the thousandth degree, assuming you can hit it the exact speed you had lined up for. I prefer to pick a spot a foot or so in front of my ball on the line I'm putting and focus on rolling it over that spot to get it started where i had picked the line. All that being said i could see these being great for practice on a flat line to make sure you are striking the ball square, but way too much to look at on the course. YMMV, IMHO etc.

Posted:
  • Twism86Twism86  454WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 454

Thats my method as well, pick your line and a spot to aim one foot in front. Makes it simple and then you just have to get the speed right.

Posted:
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.  2501WRX Points: 439Members Posts: 2,501

My concern will be people re-aligning their ball after addressing it with these putters...

"Wait, my lines aren't straight"... back down to adjust.

I just can't imagine having them straight enough to feel confident to hit the ball... I guess the point is, once you get the ball aligned you align your putter to the ball... I will be very interested to see how this works in actual play, though.

Posted:

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• HoustonhackerHoustonhacker  91WRX Points: 62Handicap: 14Members, Lefty Boomers Posts: 91

+1,000. Golf Channel is running a commercial for a putter that stands up on its own. You just aim it. All there is to it, right? I recently got paired with a guy who had one, and he couldn't putt any better than me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8740WRX Points: 1,113Members Posts: 8,740

Shiels says the SIM and Mavrik are basically no better than prior models but then says what are essentially just more lines on a putter is "revolutionary". The dude has been a total joke now for years. If you can't take a line on a ball, then line it up with a line on your putter or heck, just align the face of your putter perpendicularly to the line on the golf ball then you've maybe got some other issues going on.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B 70
    3h - '17 Tour Issue M1 | Tour Blue 85
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• arbeckarbeck Seattle 565WRX Points: 279Handicap: 14.5Members Posts: 565

I'd really be interested in seeing a study about aiming putts. Even if you aimed your putt perfect every time, you have to read the green correctly to aim in the correct spot and have a stroke that starts the putt on your intended line. I feel like those are much bigger issues than actually aiming.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • daleheaddalehead  1731WRX Points: 407Members Posts: 1,731

I’ve tried using an alignment line on my ball many times. Just doesn’t work for me. What does work is picking a spot on the green just ahead of the ball and aiming at that. “Revolutionize putting”? I doubt it.

Posted:
  • ShipwreckShipwreck  3989WRX Points: 302Handicap: 6.2Members Posts: 3,989

I used the Triple Track Chromesoft X for a while and TBH it kind of p*ssed me off more than anything. I found myself spending far too long trying to line up the stupid lines to not be slanting because of a slight depression or if it’s not on a perfectly flat surface that I ultimately gave up on them all together.

Plus, like Rick says in the video, you are limited to just Callaway balls with the triple track. I get it, they own the patent to it and all but not everyone plays the same ball as their putter. This is one of those “great on paper and theory but the actual application of it is not going to be amazing.”

Posted:

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• daleheaddalehead  1731WRX Points: 407Members Posts: 1,731

Saw the Rick Shields video and wasn’t impressed. His testing was all done on the putting green from about 10 feet. He hit one putt each with his regular putter and ball and the Triple Track putter and ball. He repeated this 4 times. The regular putter resulted in 4 2 putts. The Triple Track 2 2 putts and 2 1 putts. On this basis he concluded the Triple Track was better.

Bu both of the one putts were when he putted with the Triple Track on the second putt, having already seen the line on the first putt with his regular putter. Also I’ve learned, like most of you, that what works on the putting green from 10 feet doesn’t always work on the golf course. That’s where we have to deal with 20 and 30 footers. 5 footers for par with a nasty left to right break. Downhillers on a slick green.

There is only one true test for a putter. Do you take fewer putts on average over the course of 18 holes. I don’t want to hear about feel, how it looks at set up, how it gives you more confidence. These are all subjective. The bottom line is do you make more putts out on the course. I’ll wait and see what guys have to say about it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • theedge27theedge27  614WRX Points: 61Members Posts: 614

It may help some people and deter others. In my opinion its just a way for Callaway to sell more golf balls after the ball test wasn't too kind to them last year.

Posted:
  • bdmiller61bdmiller61  41WRX Points: 11Members Posts: 41

It might revolutionize alignment...now all you need is a good stroke, feel and ability to read greens and you’re all set 😜

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.