Miura v. Mizuno (My experience.)

FescueFinder ·  
FescueFinderFescueFinder  11WRX Points: 25Handicap: 15Members Posts: 11 Bunkers

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and relatively new to golf, but already super addicted and since I have no other true vices I spend a lot of my time and disposable income on the game.

A quick little backstory on me: I started golf in July, played every day for 25 days straight, got a handicap and was playing off 28. Since July I have taken a lesson here and there, watched lots of video of myself and worked hard at the range, putting & chipping greens and dropped my handicap to 15 at the end of 2019. (Currently 12.8 according to my garmin app, but I don't actually use that as my true handicap) My goal for 2019 was to break 100. By the end of 2019 I had broken 90 8 times. So far in 2020 I have played 4 rounds and haven't shot over 90. I'm definitely not bragging, and I certainly don't want it to come across like that, because I know these are not scores to brag about. The majority of the guys I play with are very low handicaps, scratch or better players. This is by design. I surround myself with people much better than me to force myself to get used to being nervous on the course. So far, in my personal opinion, it is working. My iron play is by far the best part of my game. When I started playing I had a set of Taylormade Rbladez, excellent clubs in there own right but they didn't look cool to my eye so I bought a set of blades (Mizuno MP-68's) off Craigslist. I was a 22 cap at this time. I know, that's ridiculous. The thing is that I didn't game them. I used them exclusively at the range, and what I saw when I went to play with my big, forgiving Rbladez on game days was nothing short of amazing. I was improving by leaps and bounds. My ball striking was much better and I was missing by very small amounts when I was not hitting it right out of the much larger center of the face.

Okay, with all that said, I have become an out and out club ho. I can't stop and I don't want to. Hitting new irons all the time is almost like rediscovering golf all over again. It provides you with a sense of excitement and joy because it is just hitting a golf shot, but it feels different. You've done the same thing with another club, but it wasn't exactly the same. That sounded a bit like a euphemism, but it wasn't, I swear.

Now, on to the title of the post. I know this is terrifically long already, but bear with me, because I was completely blown away at the difference between Miura (CB-57) and Mizuno (MP-20 blended set MMC/MB)

I was fitted for the Mizunos and loved swinging them at my fitting. They were hands down the best feeling club of the several that I swung (iBlade, z785, t100, p730 among others) There was no comparison, they felt amazing and I had never felt such a nice sensation. The MP-68's are lovely clubs and feel similar, but I want to keep them in nice shape and not game them because they're a black nickel finish and I wanted some more forgiveness in my longer irons so I went with a combo set 3,4,5,6,7MMC 8,9,PW MB. I took them to the range and played a few rounds and was playing quite well and enjoying them until I saw an ad on craigslist one evening for a set of Miura CB57's. Being the shameless club ho that I am I inquired after them. As it turns out, they're exactly the same L/L/L as my fitted Mizzys. I threw out what I considered to be a fair, but low offer and he reluctantly accepted citing that he too was a ho and had been given an ultimatum by his missus. So I went and picked them up and the next morning I took them to the range.

The shafts were different than my Mizunos. Not the weight or stiffness, but the brand and clearly the trajectory, so it took me a few shots to get into a groove, but once I did I can confidently say that there is no other club I can compare the feeling to. The Mizunos felt maybe a bit softer, but certainly not as nice. These CB57's went through 200 balls that session and led me immediately to the first tee, I threw my woods and driver in the back of the truck first and played the entire round using just the irons so that I could gauge their turf interaction and understand exactly what I was working with. I went out on my own with no one behind me so frequently I was playing 3-4 balls a hole, hitting out of the fairway, the rough and anywhere in between. I liked the MP-20s but I absolutely LOVE the CB57's. They feel much better to me. Since time I have had a chance to hit two other sets of Miuras in the CB-1008 (which I ended up buying for a song) and the baby blades. Both of those felt very similar to mine. The feeling may not be as "buttery soft" as Mizuno, but it seems like the feel is more direct and unfiltered. I know exactly where the ball came off the face, down to a smaller deviation than I was accustomed to with the Mizunos. I've seen my results on GCquad during my lessons with both sets and the distances are pretty similar, with the Miuras edging out the Mizunos in that department likely because of the more forgiving CB design and possibly a bit because they're C-tapers and my instructor said some people will see a 5% increase in distance give or take with those. Also, the spin numbers on both sets were pretty similar with the MP20's generating about 500 more when hit indoors with ProV1x's. From what I have seen when playing, I'd say it's probably closer to about 1,000 more when actually on the course. I hit the Miuras higher, but I also think that is largely due to the shaft.

Well, that's my very long and meandering story about my experience with my first Japanese forged clubs. I am still an unapologetic ho and have some other irons sets currently on the way right now. If anyone out here has yet to hit a Miura or a Mizuno I highly recommend both. Though the ones that stay in my bag are the Miuras that's not to say the Mizunos aren't fantastic, they are, they just don't feel quite as good to me. Hopefully this helped someone, or someone found it interesting. I know I'm not a super low handicap, and a lot of people will likely write this off and say that my opinion is sullied as a result, but I do hit the ball well with irons, likely because I go to the range every single day. So I hope people don't condemn me too quickly and think that my opinion is not worth thinking about. If anyone wants to ask any questions about any of the sets that I've currently got, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. (Taylormade M4, Mizuno MP20 blend, Miura CB1008, Miura CB57, Mizuno MP68 & Cobra CB/MB mk1)

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone here, I have been lurking for a while and reading about people's experiences with clubs and the detailed write ups they provide have been fantastic. Also to all the other club hos out there who do it for the love of the game. And Balls Deep, for being hilarious and always telling it like it is.

Posted:

Comments

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.  3050WRX Points: 604Handicap: I.Q.Members Posts: 3,050 Titanium Tees

😳

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ShallowbutDeadlyShallowbutDeadly  177WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 177 Fairways

I just sold a set of CB-2008. They were awesome but I need to place graphite shafts now and didn't want to do a shaft change. Miuras are amazing but I'm thinking of trying PXGs next, I've hit a bunch and they feel amazing.

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4276WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees

Moral of the story: Buy Miura!

OP it’s cuz of the smaller batch forging design and higher quality materials in Miura.

mizuno is just a diff price point so very slightly less quality and they sell 10x the irons as Miura so their quality control prob isn’t quite as good. Mizuno is an A brand while Miura is A+

Try the 101’s sometime! 🤤👍🎯

Posted:
  • FescueFinderFescueFinder  11WRX Points: 25Handicap: 15Members Posts: 11 Bunkers

@BB28403 I tend to agree with you, for sure. I had read a lot about Miura but couldn't really believe it until I actually swung one and felt the difference. I'll have to get my hands on some 101's. Have you had a chance to hit the MC-501's? I like the look of them, but I'll have to wait til they come down in price to get my hands on a used set.

@ShallowbutDeadly I have never swung a set of PXG's yet. I'd like to try some but I really don't like their price tags, and there seems to be a pretty serious shortage of used clubs around. I have heard good things, though.

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4276WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection  1344WRX Points: 167Members Posts: 1,344 Platinum Tees

So many good Japanese forgings out there! I’ve tried soooo many...

Posted:
    Driver 1: XR16 SZ 9.5*, Diamana M+ 60S, DS setting
    Driver 2: 915D2 10.5*, Diamana M+ 50S, D2 setting
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    R15 Black 4h (21*), Fujikura Speeder Evolution 77, R
    PXG 0311 Gen1 4-iron, Steelfiber 95S
    Fourteen TC770 Forged, 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-8, SR
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 51* & 57*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX / XS

Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 loisible  5475WRX Points: 383Members Posts: 5,475 Titanium Tees

Mizuno are IMHO the best with fit & finish of the major manufacturers. That said, after years of ignoring them, the Miuras won me over.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • MysteryVMysteryV  509WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 509 Golden Tee

Shafts have a lot more impact on feel than people give credit for imo.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM Max w/ Tour AD-IZ
    3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
    Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH-89 GSS
  • FescueFinderFescueFinder  11WRX Points: 25Handicap: 15Members Posts: 11 Bunkers

@MysteryV I tested the c tapers in my Mizunos during fitting, but you're probably right, the feel was likely affected by the shafts without my knowing.

Posted:
  • wely324wely324  251WRX Points: 108Members Posts: 251 Greens

Would be interesting to see both sets of irons with the same shafts for a true side by side comparison. THis is all very interesting as I'm thinking of getting fit in the near future for either mp20's or a set of miuras.

Posted:

@wely324 I would definitely like to do the comparison, but I can't justify the expense.

Definitely try out both, because getting fitted is such a great experience and I learned a lot about my game. Miuras are expensive, but they are something special, without a doubt. The Mizunos are great clubs I just felt like the Miuras were more my speed.

I did just get a good deal on some P-790s and I'm looking forward to giving those a whack. They also have Ctapers in them. I bought them to resell, but I game everything before I gun them off.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bvanlieubvanlieu  116WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 116 Fairways

New Miuras are expensive...slightly used Miuras are a treasure. If on a budget get fit for the right tech, and be patient: you can score the heads later on. If shafts are all wrong, easy to reshaft.

Patience is hard here, I know :) Over the course of a month this fall I saw MB's, CB57s, 501s, CB1008s all for sale on BST and reputable resellers online. All were sub 1K for a set...

Posted:

@bvanlieu I completely agree. Just look around, the deals will crop up. Something about golfers and clubs they don't use translates to impetuousness. They'll sell them off at a big loss because it was not the club for them. I got my set of CB-57's for under $400 Canadian 4-PW KBS C-tapers and Lamkin grips.

Posted:

With regards to Mizuno, I loved their old stuff, but haven't cared for anything since the MP4( other than the HMBs which are pretty sweet though obviously a different category of iron).

Posted:

@MysteryV I found that the HMB occupied a bit of a grey area. I swung them and it was basically the P790 without the added distance. I mean, yes, the feel was better, but anyone who wants that kind of forgiveness probably wants the extra distance, too.

Posted:

I understand where you're coming from, butt think there are plenty of folks 35 - 45 y/o folks who are still long and grew up wanting Mizzy blades, but don't have the game for them. It's kinda the same model as the Titleist T-MB. Good looking, good feeling, decent package without jacked lofts.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bvanlieubvanlieu  116WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 116 Fairways

I grew up with Staff blades in the late 80s (Pings were so expensive...until my local pro discarded his BeCU experiment and I gamed them for 20 years after that).

I started this fall looking for some nice Mizzy or Miura used blades for a fun set, but ended up with the CBs because I don't mind the help and while not a blade the Miura CBs are blade like to my eye.

Nostalgia or not, I still like to miss closer to the hole. My playing partners wish I got the baby blades...

Posted:
  • seve1972seve1972  1083WRX Points: 138Handicap: +2Members Posts: 1,083 Platinum Tees

dude.....your a 15 handicap.

Posted:

@seve1972 Dude, you can't tell the difference between you're and your. I noted that in the post, several times. This post obviously isn't for you. Appreciate you stopping by just to be a tool, though.

Posted:
  • StonewalledStonewalled  1656WRX Points: 177Members Posts: 1,656 Platinum Tees

Great post FF, sounds like u got the forged iron bug as bad as the rest of us. Got a set of the CB 57's ready to go, spring can't come soon enough. I would suggest trying some Legacy Black irons like Henrik uses, one of Endo's finest forgings. Endo.... another rabbit hole to explore.

Posted:
    Post edited by Stonewalled on

@Stonewalled thanks man. I'm definitely hooked. Gonna have to look into those :)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • StonewalledStonewalled  1656WRX Points: 177Members Posts: 1,656 Platinum Tees

No worries TY, What i Meant to say was Endo forged irons. I had Epon 302's on the brain. (Made by Endo)

Posted:
  • Clyon8Clyon8  9WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 9 Bunkers

Just chiming in on this, I have a set of MC 501's myself, and they are easily the best feeling irons I've ever hit. Currently have them for sale but every time I look at them I start second guessing myself and wondering if I should just put them back in play. Extremely forgiving for such a thin top line, and no iron I've looked at since has looked half as good as the MC501's. In my opinion, probably one of the best irons ever made in terms of forgiveness, looks, and playability.

Posted:
  • seve1972seve1972  1083WRX Points: 138Handicap: +2Members Posts: 1,083 Platinum Tees

Wow......I apologize for hitting a nerve.....(thanks for the grammar lesson)

Posted:
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3375WRX Points: 334Members Posts: 3,375 Titanium Tees

Mizuno available in your local store and holds some value. Miura sold in as many places as Patek. Worth next to nothing used in UK and they wear down faster than any other iron. Feel great but zero performance benefit.

Posted:
  • tourpuretourpure  351WRX Points: 96Members Posts: 351 Greens

Why not a set of Mizuno Japan only irons like MP 55 or MP 66?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GuitarsGolfKYGuitarsGolfKY  76WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 76 Fairways

I started with bridgestone j38s in 2018 when I started playing again because the low handicapper I play with is into this stuff and made this awesome suggestion. I got some Titleist 735cms in a trade and quickly realized I love thinner soled irons. I’ve bought and tried a lot of clubs including mizuno mp’s. (Not the mp20s though I’ve been drooling over them) I got some miura cb1007s (the jdm version of the cb57) a few months ago and man I keep putting them up against other clubs and nothing comes close. They feel so hot off the face. Like there’s some magic thin face hollow cavity. But there isn’t it’s just pure perfectly forged steel.

I’ve been looking at cb57 because they look so awesome and wondering if anyone has compared the cb1007 and cb57 the cb57 look like they have more cavity and thicker muscle pad in the middle (as the 1007 muscle is more spread out with its dual thickness layer) The cavity on the 57 looks deeper like more of a traditional cavity back than the 1007 (which look just as blade like from the top as mp37 and mp32- and more blade like from the top than hogan apex endo forged- more blade looking than bridgestone j36 blades even (the Hogan’s and j36 are actually more forgiving and amazing feeling clubs - much softer different feel than miura though)

anyone compare 1007 and cb57?

Posted:
  • GuitarsGolfKYGuitarsGolfKY  76WRX Points: 19Members Posts: 76 Fairways

I rarely see worn out miuras! One seller on eBay is based in Arizona where they play on rocks and often has worn miuras. This statement is so based in “my things are better than yours (a redneck mentality here in kentucky- wonder what it’s called in England). I bought my mizunos from the same year As my miuras for $100. I got an absolute steal on my miuras for $190. But they’re worth at least $600. Huge performance benefit over the mizuno mp32 and mp37. Go watch tour experience golfs YouTube channel and see the guy that tests all those clubs get fitted into miuras based purely on the numbers.

Posted:
  • krusher74krusher74  2WRX Points: 15Handicap: 28Members Posts: 2 Starters

I've just started back at golf in the last year and shoot in the high 90's I have wishon one lengths to make life easy. But i bought a miura 7 MB and fitted it with a leadbetter golf pride grip trainer. I use it at the range as a warm up club and to remind myself i'm not good enough for a full set!!! (also built up a hayate driver which is working well for me)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball  503WRX Points: 69Members Posts: 503 Golden Tee

I would also like to know the difference between the Cb 57s and the 1007s. I have an opportunity to get either one, and I am still undecided. Unfortunately these are not clubs I can just walk in and demo. Leaning more towards the CB 57s purely off of cosmetics.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.