The most important thing to you.

josey ·  
joseyjosey  127WRX Points: 16Handicap: 4.2Members Posts: 127

Assume most guys in here have or have owned a custom made putter. What is the most important thing you look for in a builder or in a putter?

Posted:

Comments

• masliemaslie  246WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 246

CG. When you ask for specific offset - neck style and head weight, the CG will slightly move from center from original design, make sure that you'll get CG perfectly allign with the sight line. good custom maker will take care of this. But you have to make sure they'll do it.

Posted:
    Driver -
    Ryoma Premia - Diamana B.
    Fw -
    #3 Cally Legacy'10 - Diamana R.
    #5 Rbz stg1 tour TP std Rul.
    #7 Cleaveland Launcher 1st gen std Fuji gold.
    Irons -
    #4-Hy JBeam.
    #5-Pw Romaro Ray H modus 120.
    Wedges -
    52 & 58 Fourteen Rm 12 std Dg.
    Putter -
    Masda studio 1.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera  5454WRX Points: 232Handicap: -1.6Members Posts: 5,454

I know it sounds overly simple but the most important thing to me is the way the putter sets-up to me.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 2D 9* MCA Diamana ZF 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Fuji Speeder 904 HB
    PING S55 5-9 DGTI X100 TI
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  DGTI S400 TI
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • LionGolferLionGolfer  1407WRX Points: 147Members Posts: 1,407

That he actually hand makes the putter from a billet and not just softens a blank which he buys.

Posted:
    Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel
    UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG 317
    Irons : GrindStudioProto-ModartCBC-PXG311T-RoddioMeisterM
    Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
    Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-Xenon
  • HackDaddy360HackDaddy360 VP of Dadding  119WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 119

They build you what you want - not what they think you need.

Posted:
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy  8678WRX Points: 208Members Posts: 8,678

I love builders who deliver on their promises. Had a fabulous experience with Bradley putters recently. Service was exceptional from start to finish. Communication was beyond anything I have experienced, the product arrived ahead of schedule, and every request was met. Beyond impressed with all aspects of the company.

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Hey Peanut,

I read that you're a huge indie custom collector. You reckon while they are up and coming, timely delivery and comms is good but when they have the happy problem of healthy orders and largely being a one man show, that is when the issues arise? It seems like a few custom guys have suffered this predicament when they hit this tipping point.

Posted:
    Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel

Advertisement
  • JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge  343WRX Points: 146Members Posts: 343

It's important that the instagram page looks like a michelob ultra commercial.

Posted:
  • joseyjosey  127WRX Points: 16Handicap: 4.2Members Posts: 127
    Posted:
  • JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge  343WRX Points: 146Members Posts: 343

Obviously I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but really what is it that gets YOU excited about a custom putter? Seems like to a lot of folks it's how "instagrammable" is the putter. Much of the old school online putter community like putter talk seems to be limping along or maybe gone altogether. I don't dislike all of those brands but wish there was more exposure for so many great makes and collectors that aren't on the gram.

These days with so many custom options in the OTR world such as pingWRX, toulon garage, etc. you should be able to get a style and spec putter that you want. So you are unlikely to get much of a performance boost from a boutique putter unless you were looking for a very specific outside-the-box thing, at which point you would already know exactly what you are looking for. So what is it that gets you excited about a custom putter? Is it heritage, expertise, narrative, hand-craftsmanship, aesthetics, an active community, collectibility, tour presence, prestige, etc. etc.

Also, answering emails is nice.

Posted:

LG,

It's hard for me to comment on the daily operations of a 'one man' shop as I truly don't know what goes on behind the scenes. To spend a week with Lumpy, Lamont, Josey or any number of makers would certainly be enlightening.

It may be that the shop owner takes on too much and can't deliver on promises. The makers I've supported are exceptional craftsman and genuine human beings, but I think you can only do so much when you are flying solo. The struggles seem to be common in the bespoke market and not reserved for the putter maker.

I have never been disappointed with the end product, but the experience from start to finish has often been frustrating.

As an aside (and to stay on topic),

Josey . .

Really impressed by the products being brought to market by the MackMade shop. I have followed the work closely on IG. Really fond of a few designs. There's a particular wide body Hudson head shape that gets the heart going. Always been fond of inserts, knurling, clean weld beads, unique face mill patterns, long necks, patina, and clean stamping.

Mike

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Seems like all the new comers are CNC guys. While I can appreciate the appeal of precision, it makes me appreciate more those that design, hand mill, hand soften, hand stamp etc. ie just hand work the heck out of their work.... despite the lack of CNC precision. I think the likes of Lump, Lamont and Nead will be (or should be?) greatly missed in time to come.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • joseyjosey  127WRX Points: 16Handicap: 4.2Members Posts: 127
    Posted:

Always been partial to the 'garage' look as well. I don't mind the clean lines associated with CNC work, but the hand mill customs are something special.

Posted:
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4749WRX Points: 424Members Posts: 4,749

As simple as do they make exactly what I’m looking for?

Couldnt care less if it’s 100% hand made, CNC’d by his own machine, or a softened blank he bought.

Posted:

Byron would be right up your alley I suspect.

Posted:
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt  3947WRX Points: 588Members Posts: 3,947

Having options that are well executed at a fair price. I prefer flow necks and I’m not a fan of big welding marks that are very noticeable. Some builders are very sloppy with their welding. But other than that, I’m looking for options such as milling, steel type, finishes and head types. That’s the one thing that bums me out about Byron Morgan…he used to have a vast selection of heads, now he’s pretty limited.

RH

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GolfWithdrawalsGolfWithdrawals Woodstock, Georgia 381WRX Points: 73Handicap: +0.6Members Posts: 381

It's pretty simple for me. I want full control over design, lie, loft, milling etc.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 deg. Aldila Rogue Black 70x
    3-Wood: Titleist 917 F2 13.5 deg. Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80x
    2-Hybrid: Cobra Baffler
    4-iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    PW thru 5-iron: Mizuno MP18 MB Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    50, 54, 58 Wedges: Vokey Sm6
    Putter: MannKrafted Handmade Rattler 360g

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.