GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Mavrik vs SIM

johnnylongballz72 ·  
johnnylongballz72johnnylongballz72 Members  619WRX Points: 65Posts: 619 Golden Tee

Who has had the opportunity to hit both, and what are your thoughts?

Posted:

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3364WRX Points: 1,456Posts: 3,364 Titanium Tees

Well they haven’t been released yet so....

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX  3608WRX Points: 174Posts: 3,608 ClubWRX

I've bet many people on here have hit both already. Maybe they wont say so to not to upset the manufacturers.

But I've hit the sim and watched a guy hitting the mavrik. I usually dont hit Callaway drivers well, so I didn't bother hitting it. He was hitting the mavrik sz with the rogue white 130 stock shaft and hit the green at 300 yards. But he is on staff with Callaway, so he really liked it. Asked if I wanted to hit it but passed. Maybe I will this week.

Posted:
    Ping G410 lst diamana bf
    Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
    Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
    Callaway MD5 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • johnnylongballz72johnnylongballz72 Members  619WRX Points: 65Posts: 619 Golden Tee

Both are available in many golf shops for Demo though they haven't been released. I was in Moon Golf in Palm Beach Gardens, FL today and they had both available to test.

Posted:

• getitdailygetitdaily Members  3807WRX Points: 716Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,807 Titanium Tees

Hit both today. Mavrik sz and sim max are very similar numbers-wise. Mavrik faster by about 1mph. SIM just a touch slower than the other 2 but only by about 1mph. All 3 of them were draw biased for me. The face wanted to rotate closed to path for them all. I'm a fader. SIM front weight doesn't do a lot to help offset the face rotation. All 3 of them are good. Dispersion is good. I'll either be in a SIM or a mavrik...mavrik if I can get it to not go left.

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1898WRX Points: 313Handicap: ?Posts: 1,898 Platinum Tees

Hit both. They were on display in full at my local Edwin watts and I believe golf galaxy has them but not 100 percent.

Mavrik worked better for me. Feels and works better. I guess I’d have to find that magical shaft pairing.

Posted:
  • johnnylongballz72johnnylongballz72 Members  619WRX Points: 65Posts: 619 Golden Tee

Just wanted to refresh this thread now that more people might have had the chance to see both. I am really impressed by both products, but I am biased.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jc88jc88 Members  112WRX Points: 42Posts: 112 Fairways

My buddy tested these just yesterday, said he liked both but the Mavrik a little more

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10855WRX Points: 3,965Handicap: 8Posts: 10,855 ClubWRX
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • wrx1432wrx1432 Members  2WRX Points: 7Posts: 2 Starters

I hit both in a simulator at the PGA store yesterday. Actually spent 2 hours looking at the Sim, Mavrik, and a 2019 Mizuno offering. Both the Sim and Mavrik were 10 yards longer, but the Mizuno felt and looked best to my eye. What I learned is the Sim has a slimmer top line and is shorter at the toe, so with the 7 iron I hit the Sim with lower spin and 45 degree descent angle. The Mavrik flew lower with 300 rpm higher spin and a shallower 42 degree decent. Ball speeds were 1/2 mph higher with Mavrik on average, but my longest shots were with the Sim due to launch and spin...162 yds. air time vs. 158 on Mavrik. At 71 years young, I am going graphite shafts...it is time. Sim has a 65 gram Fujikura shaft that plays softer than the Project X Cat shaft in the Mavrik. Bottom line is both are fantastic clubs that even a single digit player like myself can appreciate. The trade off is distance at the expense of workability. I choose the Sim due to the sole grind. I play on tight lie courses most of the year and the Sim sole has less bounce. Hope this helps you!

Posted:
  • wrx1432wrx1432 Members  2WRX Points: 7Posts: 2 Starters

I went back to the hitting bay after two days to hit them one more time. I had to be sure I made the right choice for me. For me, I did. My bad shot is more often than not thin and the slotted sole does minimize distance loss on those shots. Sim does NOT feel like my forged blades, but is better than Mavrik on all shots except center hits. This is my subjective impression, yours may differ. Finally, the Mavrik did show marginally higher ball speeds, but the graphite shaft is lighter and my swing speed was also higher. Unfortunately, shot dispersion also increased. Please get fitted, I learned so much and so will you!

Posted:
  • StarFleetGolferStarFleetGolfer Members  10683WRX Points: 332Posts: 10,683 Titanium Tees

Anymore opinions?

Posted:

Callaway Mavrick
    Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W
    Callaway Superhybrid
    Titleist 510 20
    Titleist T100
    Vokey SM7 54 and 60
    Scotty Cameron T22

Advertisement
  • PepsiDuckPepsiDuck Members  2002WRX Points: 224Posts: 2,002 Platinum Tees

Same. I have two friends who tested both extensively and both have Mavriks in the bag. I'd be interested in more opinions on this as well...I've been on the TM boat for a while (because I have a shaft I love that is TM-tipped) and was considering jumping ship to the Mavrik.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
    TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
    Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
    Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
    PXG Darkness Operator
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members  2761WRX Points: 249Handicap: 6.4Posts: 2,761 Titanium Tees

I have spent multiple hours over multiple sessions hitting both on Trackman.

I was comparing it against my current driver, Ping G410 LST.

For me, Mavrik SZ was similar distance to my LST, but with less accuracy.

For me, SIM has higher ball speed (1.5 to 2mph) launched about 2 degrees higher with less spin than both LST and SZ. SIM spun about 400 rpm less than LST and about 200 less than SZ.

Once we determined SIM was longer than LST, for me, we spent a session analyzing dispersion and accuracy. I was not willing to hit drives five to eight yards longer but miss more fairways. To both the fitter and my surprise the SIM was slightly tighter in its dispersion time after time.

So as of today the SIM is in the bag.

These findings made me decide to test SIM 3 wood against my M5... M5 3 wood is now in the basement, as well.

FYI - my stats:

swing speed = 100-102 mph

AoA = 2-3 degrees up

club bath = 2-3 degrees from inside

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-6
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º & 19º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-7
    Titleist U•510 Iron 4i ~ Project X HZRDUS Black 80
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5 – PW ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) & 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 SS blackout
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) 
    Bridgestone Tour B X

Was the shaft constant between all drivers tested, or did you just test against the stock offering for each?

Posted:
    PXG Darkness Operator
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members  2761WRX Points: 249Handicap: 6.4Posts: 2,761 Titanium Tees

I play GD Tour AD-IZ 6 in 410 LST.

I tested SIM and Maverick with IZ as well as multiple other shafts; DI, VR, XC, D+, W series, Tensei White & Orange, Rogue and a couple HZRDUS profiles.

In SZ we found Rogue Silver 130 MSI to be the best shaft combo, for me.

In SIM we found IZ to be best shaft combo, for me.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-6
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º & 19º ~ GD Tour AD IZ-7
    Titleist U•510 Iron 4i ~ Project X HZRDUS Black 80
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5 – PW ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 blackout
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) & 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X 6.0 SS blackout
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) 
    Bridgestone Tour B X

Advertisement

Ah ok, so your comparison was with optimal shafts for each head. Cool that the SIM kicked out the G410. I currently have a TM M4, and I haven't been happy with my driver trajectory in a long time...and I think I'm losing yards with a driver with too low a loft and a shaft that's too low/low for me...I am looking forward to doing a similar test as you; it's just a matter of finding a place with a decent shaft selection...

Posted:
    PXG Darkness Operator
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 1 iron Club! Members  4738WRX Points: 556Posts: 4,738 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Tensei Pro Blue, 70TX
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
    TAYLORMADE P790, 4, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 54/10F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
    NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black
    SUN MOUNTAIN 20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black
    GARMIN Approach Z82, GPS/Rangefinder
    GROOVEIT Wet Brush

• phillyspecialphillyspecial Members  513WRX Points: 110Posts: 513 Golden Tee

I did a fitting at CC this weekend and the TS3 beat both the Mavrik and the Sim. I was highly biased toward the Mavrik but the results were mind blowing, TS3 was all-in 8 yards longer than the Mavrik with Ventus 5 shaft in all. Was 5 yards longer than the Sim. Im 95-98mph CHS.

Posted:
  • eddie33081eddie33081 Members  57WRX Points: 67Posts: 57 Bunkers

Interesting. Anyone else test ts3 against these new drivers? Might just try a new shaft in my ts3

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10855WRX Points: 3,965Handicap: 8Posts: 10,855 ClubWRX

Nice review and is exactly what I have found. The SIM is really really good.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Posted:

• 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members  1679WRX Points: 48Handicap: 2Posts: 1,679 Platinum Tees

Great video. All 3 seem similar carry. Cobra most accurate.

Posted:
    Cobra SZ (white) 9* Aldila Rogue 60S
    Callaway XHot proforce V2 S
    Adams A12 17* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z585/785 1flat +1loft Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Anser 49*53*57*
    Ping Zing TR
    Z Star
  • specimaniaspecimania Members  651WRX Points: 115Handicap: 3.5Posts: 651 Golden Tee

I have a ts3 and tested against. There is not much in the numbers to make me switch. I am gonna save some dough potentially this year! I do love the sim look though

Posted:
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX  482WRX Points: 206Handicap: 1.8Posts: 482 ClubWRX

Have to say, the reviews on this thread are the best i have read in a while. Awesome and detailed feedback....thank you for that.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 9 degree w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree  w/ GD Tour AD TP 7x
    Callaway Apex hybrid 18 degree  w/ GD tour AD IZ 85x
    Callaway X Forged 4 - PW  w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, 54-S, Callaway MD4 58-X  w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon Austin putter w/ Stability Tour shaft
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • JunglelandJungleland Members  624WRX Points: 124Handicap: 9Posts: 624 Golden Tee

Put these head to head during a range session and round today. Both 12 degree heads, playing neutral, both with UST Helium 5 shafts playing 45.5”. The Sim Max just wanted to got high and straight shot after shot where the Callaway Mavrik (Standard) was a snap hook machine. I just couldn’t control the Callaway no matter how much I tried. The Sim Max was definitely a dispersion and distance upgrade over the M6 for me. I felt the sound and feel was similar and I like the look of the head. As for the Mavrik the sound is definitely improved and I like the look of the club from address, however none of that matters if I can’t keep the shots on the planet.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • fkim011fkim011 Official Club Whore Irvine, CaliforniaMembers  811WRX Points: 136Posts: 811 Golden Tee

I went to a fitting where they had the Mavrik and the Sim with extensive collection of shafts ranging from the stock offerings to higher end custom shafts.

I've been hitting some sort of Ping driver for the last 3 seasons so I came in unbiased against the 2 manufacturers. The first thing I learned is that a shaft might work in a Sim max might not get the same results in another head due to internal weighting of the head, etc... With that being said, my best numbers were with the Sim Max at 9* with Accra TZ6 65 M5 set at std. I got the best smash factor, and best ball speeds. I had to get spin up since I am a really low spin player so the Max was a better fit for me in comparison to the regular Sim and Mavrik.

Realistically, when I had each driver pretty optimized for my swing...the numbers were all pretty similiar. I just had more confidence looking at the Sim max where I was able to work the ball both ways with adequate amount of spin. and take most of the left side out. THe Callaway was a hook miss for me which is a big no no.

Posted:
  • bnb9433bnb9433 Members  258WRX Points: 69Posts: 258 Greens
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 w/ Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6s
    Epic Flash 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 20* 3H
    Ping i200 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
    Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O works 7s
    ProV1
  • NorbooNorboo Members  2347WRX Points: 159Handicap: 12Posts: 2,347 Platinum Tees

i’ve tested Sim fairway woods and hybrids before PGA show.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
    Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
    Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
    Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
    Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Advertisement
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3807WRX Points: 716Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,807 Titanium Tees

I didn't test ts3 directly against sim and mavrik. But I did test ts3 against m5 and m6. Ts3 is a very, very solid performer on ballspeed. Biggest drawback on ts3 was the spin fluctuation on off center strikes. With m5 my spin numbers were very consistent. I think I saw 300-400 rpm difference total. With ts3 I popped a couple around 1800 and a couple at 3000.

TM is really consistent on spin and they kept it in sim.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.