Piretti vs Bettinardi putters?

Jcorp ·  
JcorpJcorp  23WRX Points: 13Members Posts: 23

As the title states, curious to hear if anyone of y’all have tried these putters and what you think of them / which one in your opinion is better. I am also curious in the Toulon putters. Been hearing good things about them.

I know I need to go to the store and try them myself, but what works for you game?!

Posted:

Answers

• nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera  5454WRX Points: 232Handicap: -1.6Members Posts: 5,454

All three are good, really good.

They will all roll it and it just depends on what you like.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 2D 9* MCA Diamana ZF 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Fuji Speeder 904 HB
    PING S55 5-9 DGTI X100 TI
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  DGTI S400 TI
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut  464WRX Points: 161Handicap: 12Members Posts: 464

Agree with the above. All are very good

For my money, I think Piretti is best looking, with the fine milling and understated graphics. Feel the best too. You can also get some options on alignment dots / lines, grips, length, etc when you order from them.

I can’t just get ok with all the hive and other patterns on the Betti faces. I am sure they are nice, but not as good as Piretti

Toulons are very good too. But I feel like the pre Odyssey ones were better - not in terms of feel and look. Just picked up a pre odyssey Garage San Diego mid slant, and its as good as anything that money can buy.

Posted:
  • dlow206dlow206  184WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 184

I don't own a Piretti yet, but I like that it has adjustable weights, whereas each Betti model is offered in a single headweight, regardless of length. I game a 32" putter and like to keep a relatively heavy swingweight.

Posted:
  • jbrunkjbrunk Central Illinois 667WRX Points: 137Handicap: 11Members Posts: 667

Buy one of each and let us know how it goes!

I personally own 3 Betti’s and 1 Piretti, and give the edge to Bettinardi due to their deeper history and wider variety of options to fit your stroke and visual preferences. FIT Face on mild carbon is simply a luxurious feel. That said, the guys in my group all game our Piretti’s during the summer season. They make beautiful putters that look & feel incredible in their own right. Also harder to find at an affordable price, which probably helps them retain market value. Obviously, the “better” putter is the one you roll best that day.

Posted:

Ping G400 1W Alta CB 55

Taylormade M4 3HL Atmos 6S

Ping G400 3Hy Tensei Blue 70

Ping G 4Hy NV Green 85H

Ping i200 4i-UW AWT 2.0

Glide 2.0 50 54 58 AWT 2.0

iNOVAi 3.0 CS

• drbonesvtdrbonesvt  8285WRX Points: 295Handicap: WIPClubWRX Posts: 8,285

note on this , putters are like art,” Beauty is in the eye’s of the roller”

Bettinardi- fly mill DASS IS awesome, honey comb is nice as well, what I didn’t care for is the fit face , had it on BB0 dass head, felt too soft , some may like the feel. In a carbon head it would be IMOP feel like hitting a sack of bread. I felt I got a more consistent roll with the fly mill. But to prob get what u want Betti is getting pricey $$$. Quality is great, but comes at a price to get std Newport and anser heads

***BB8 Tri sole fly mill no sight alignment is my baby

Toulon- I have a San Diego (pre Odyssey) , every bit as good as a betti , or Peretti IMOP again . I like the slightly bigger foot print on the San Diego vs the BB8 , though betti now has BB8 classic. Roll is true , but not as hot as the betti flymill. accessory wise betti you get a bit more out of that brand if that’s your thing. I like the finish of the Toulon vs the peretti , less glare

peretti , best production dale head shape that’s out there, avail without paying an arm and a leg , ~400 vs 800+ for others . The peretti dale head is larger than the Toulon / Odyssey. Though the 365 is a bit hefty IMOP. The roll of the peretti is better than the Toulon Austin, but i hate the sight line on the peretti, one can get site dots etc from peretti but your in the +800 range.

clear as mud ???

Posted:
    M5 9* Kuro Kage XD 70TX tipped 1.25" 
    M5 15* MRC Tour Issue Diamana 90TX tipped 2"
    Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 620 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) -1* Flat Titlest 620MB specs
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400 (62* Lie angle) 
    Piretti Potenza Sight Dot 365g |Bettinardi BB8 Trisole bare 348g | or Toulon San Diego Sight Line  - 68* Lie angle 2* of loft 
    All woods & 2i hot melted, Ping Hoofer 
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4749WRX Points: 424Members Posts: 4,749

Piretti fits my eye better.

Bettinardi makes a quality product, but most of their models just look a bit awkward to me.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KRW59KRW59 Hoarder  956WRX Points: 185Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 956

As of yesterday....Piretti took the lead......

10 Piretti's in my collection

9 Bettinardi's in my collection

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

Piretti 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II or Piretti 1 of 2 GSS Capri

Flask - Crown Black
  • MattM97MattM97  759WRX Points: 340Members Posts: 759

I have 1 Bettinardi at the moment, 2 Toulon and 0 Piretti but I'd really like one but lefty options are limited in general with all these brands.

Bettinardi is more "traditional" in terms of weight, most stock offerings seem to be in that 350g range and weight cannot be changed. Few different lines, metal and face milling. Stock options are kinda funky in shape, look and feel. The BB8 is the nicest I think besides the BBZero for me which is a Hive or Custom option which is min 1k for Hive and 2k for Custom. Lots of their older models I prefer but I may be done with Bettinardi, as I'm thinking of selling my only one.

Toulon, I think they do a very good job at classic shapes, I like that all of their options offer adjustable weighting and if you have multiple different shapes all plates will fit (Minus the Latrobe). The Diamond Face milling is awesome, one of my favorites, feels great and rolls the ball well. Used models can be had really cheap and their Garage offerings are not too expensive if you want a bare or top line marking.

Piretti, I've yet to own, rolled a few RH but coming across lefty options are uncommon on the used market. But from my trials and testing they feel great, I like the multiple weight options if you want a set weight putter but they also have varying weight putters. Feel on these are soft and very nice, customs are not too bad but still up there $1,200 for Carbon and I think $1,800 or 2000 for GSS. I really want a Piretti just a basic option or Elite option just can't decide which one.

So for me Toulon over Bettinardi. Once I get a Piretti that could change a lot of things up.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon Sand Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer

Ok , so I have rolled / Flirted with the Piretti Potenza for awhile now with the sight line holding me back, well I happened to find this online

https://pirettigolf.com/product/potenza-2-303-series/

Not available with the 350g head, but 356g allows you to choose sight dot, lie angle, length and grip for 399.99. Pulled the trigger. 350 feels good, and the 365 feel good also, I prob prefer the 350, I know this will sound crazy but the sight line would bother me more than the weight because of the alignment.

Will see how she rolls

Posted:
    Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 620 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) -1* Flat Titlest 620MB specs
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400 (62* Lie angle) 
    Piretti Potenza Sight Dot 365g |Bettinardi BB8 Trisole bare 348g | or Toulon San Diego Sight Line  - 68* Lie angle 2* of loft 
  • MedsonMedson  2462WRX Points: 174Members Posts: 2,462

Piretti is too heavy for me. I think all their stuff start from 365g. I’ve been trying to go light. Even standard Scotty feels a bit heavy to me.

I agree with someone above who said OTR Bettinardi looks funky. I’ve the same reaction. Bettinardi’s accessories look really nice though.

I have a Garage Toulon. It’s nice, but nothing to write home about.

Posted:
  • skralyskraly  1634WRX Points: 180ClubWRX Posts: 1,634

I’ve had three different Piretti’s trying to find one that might work and they all felt uniformly terrible. Very numb feeling for me. They do look nice. I’ll give them that anyway. For me, Bettinardi’s and Toulon’s are a push in all respects.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • luke1333luke1333  1649WRX Points: 196Members Posts: 1,649

Did you talk to Piretti? I bought a carbon Potenza few years ago naked. If it is a common head they will have a lot around without any sight lines or dots already milled. I agree though about the sight line. I cannot stand them. I am not even a big fan of the dot! Naked is the best lol

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 8.5° Ping Tour Shaft Stiff
    Titleist 915Fd 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70g Stiff
    Titleist 816H2 19° Diamana 100X
    Titleist 716 T-mb 4 Iron Project X 6.5
    Titleist 690MB 5-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno S18 54° S400
    Vokey WedgeWorks 60.06 K Grind S400
    Piretti Potenza 2 36" 375g (carbon)

WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1795349/lukes-witb-for-the-end-of-2019

• nova6868nova6868  4864WRX Points: 259Handicap: 2.1Members Posts: 4,864

Bettinardi and Toulon Garage are great quality. I like Piretti but never seem to buy one. Seems like the reasonably priced ones are 365-gram (too heavy) or flange-line only. I see one I like and it's $2,200. Nah.

Another brand in this same category is Swag, they make great stuff and have several headshapes now. Also Kevin Burns has his website up now and he does great work in a reasonable price range.

Posted:
  • hankwuhankwu  8WRX Points: 10Handicap: 7Members Posts: 8

Agree that Toulon Pre Odyssey were definitely better, even more true with the garage version, never had a Betti, but Piretti CW2 is very sweet, love the design and the weight, but to be honest, now days high end milled putters from these brands are all very good, it is just personal preference as to what kind of feel, sound, and look you want.

Posted:

2018 PING Hoofer Lite

M3 9.5 Tensei Blue S

M6 3 Wood 15 Degree Fujikura Atmos S

M2 5HL Kurokage Tini 60 S

Gapr Lo KBS Hybrid S

PXG 0311X Gen 2 Pro Modus3 105 S

Mizuno JPX900 Forged Pro Modus3 105 S 4-PW

Titleist BV SM5 M Grind 56

Titleist BV SM6 F Grind 60

Scotty Cameron 2018 Select Newport 2

Callaway SuperSoft

• JcorpJcorp  23WRX Points: 13Members Posts: 23

I appreciate all the feedback guys! I am still looking at those types of higher end putters. Might just stick with my tm spider.

I saw the Garsen tour pro grips on one of those companies websites... anyone try out the tapered or non tapered Garsen quad tour? Now curious about those haha.

Posted:

I do love the look of the Matera the best out of all my research so far. Haven’t seen another putter that I think looks so amazing.

Posted:

Advertisement

Which Piretti and grips did you just purchase? Curious about your setup. Also, I was on their site and that’s where I saw the Garsen quad pro grip. Curious if you got one on your piretti. I also heard the standard piretti grips are great.

Posted:
  • KRW59KRW59 Hoarder  956WRX Points: 185Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 956

I have been a Gripmaster Stitchback back guy for close to 20 years now. About half of my collection are sporting Gripmasters. Since I play with a large rotation of putters ( 30 + have a chance of seeing the course on any given day) I have adjusted my putters to very similar set ups for length , static weight , and balance. No real adjustment time needed when switching from one to the next......

My latest purchase , a Piretti GOAT , I requested the grip ( GM 72 gm ) to be shipped loose in the box. I will be reshafting this putter with a C- Taper 120 3 iron shaft then adjusting the static weight to total 555 grams / balanced to swingweight of E-2. Just like my others. I will determine by toe hang which grip this putter will get . More than 4:00 I will give it a standard sized 58 gram Tacki-Roo tour .

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

Piretti 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II or Piretti 1 of 2 GSS Capri

Flask - Crown Black

That’s awesome! Let me know how you like the goat.

Posted:
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob  1045WRX Points: 198Handicap: 13ClubWRX Posts: 1,045

I am not being a smart *** here but these comparison threads are useless except for discussion. Putting is such a subjective thing, you cannot possibly say one putter is 'better' than another. A guy just started a thread saying he bought a $500 Betti and tried an $80 putter and putted better with that! Plus the above posts show how many adjustments and configurations you can now get with loft, weight, grips etc.

I have a few putters and like an under 10 Soccer coach, they all get a go and depending on performance might get another go the next day - but it is always operator error when I miss - not the putter - no matter which brand.

Okay, now that I have 'Grinched' the thread like the old curmudgeon I am - I will shut up. :-)

Rob

Posted:
  • luke1333luke1333  1649WRX Points: 196Members Posts: 1,649

I agree partially. The $80 putter used in that example could have been better length/loft/lie etc and do you have a link to that? I am curious about it!

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 8.5° Ping Tour Shaft Stiff
    Titleist 915Fd 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70g Stiff
    Titleist 816H2 19° Diamana 100X
    Titleist 716 T-mb 4 Iron Project X 6.5
    Titleist 690MB 5-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno S18 54° S400
    Vokey WedgeWorks 60.06 K Grind S400
    Piretti Potenza 2 36" 375g (carbon)

WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1795349/lukes-witb-for-the-end-of-2019

Advertisement
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob  1045WRX Points: 198Handicap: 13ClubWRX Posts: 1,045
    Posted:
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.