2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

2020 driver royal rumble. **UPDATE**

QuigleyDU ·  
QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9059WRX Points: 2,572Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,059

Here it is ladies and gentleman. 2020 driver show down.

I am going to provide my opinions on feel, sound, performance etc. I feel that this will be a bit on going as after I hit and got home I thought of some other things I want to add. For example driver length and swing weight. Information I didn’t get but should have.

my current set up is a 10.5 callaway epic flash triple diamond head sub zero.with a ventus blue 7x shaft straight in at 45 inches in length. I have changed the weight in the front position from the standard 4 gram weight to a 10 gram weight.

the competition.

Callaway maverik subzero 10.5 with a hazrdus green 6.5 70g.

Taylormade SIM 10.5 with hazrdus green 6.5 70g.

Cobra speedzone 10.5 with a hazrdus yellow 6.5 70g.

I tried as best I could to make this as apple to apples as I could. I had access to the haz green shaft for both the new callaway and taylormade so I decided to use that shaft. For the Cobra the hazrdus yellow was the closest I could come to a match. I know it is different but it is still a low low shaft profile.

All shots were hit with a brand new ProV1X.

first my current gamer. The callaway epic flash SZ 3D.

Impressions: I have loved this driver since it came out. I feel this driver has been the best addition to my bag in a long time. I have felt very confident all I tend to be a bit of a low launch player but with high speed. This driver is designed to launch a bit higher than the standard SZ and Gaurd against a left miss. Something I struggle with at times.

Feel: this driver feels great. Very solid, with a fast feeling.

Looks/Shape: the 3D is a 450cc head and is a little less round the the standard flash SZ. There is a bit more depth to the face as well.

sound: the standard SZ takes a beating for its sound. While the 3D is not as loud as the standard it is still loud. It does not bother me though and I actually kind of like a louder driver as long as it does not sound like a tin can.

performance: I get great distance with this driver. I like that most of the time my spin numbers are in the low to mid 2000s. Lost people seem to want low spin. I like a bit of spin. It helps to stabilize the flight.

Next up: SIM.

Feel: the SIM feels great. Out of all the heads I enjoyed the feel of this one the most. I fee it has the softest feel, if a titanium driver can feel soft. It also to me feels the lightest of the drivers ( again a reason I need to swing weight these drivers).

Looks: the SIM look like it has largest profile of the drivers I tested. I really like the color choices of blue, chalk, and a more grey carbon crown.

performance: I have hit this driver a bit lately and had very good numbers. Today though, I struggled with it. I just don’t know why, but it is what it is. It was just low dive bomb bullets. I feel like I was getting misreads for some reason but did not have any problems with the other drivers. You can see launch between 8 and 9 and super low spin. I will say that even in previous testing this is a low spin head. I am shocked there is an 8 degree head. I can’t even get it air born. Of all the drivers though, this gives the highest ball speeds. It is fast. below is a shot I hit previously so I have had good days with it. Today was not one of them.

I got the highest swing speeds with this driver at 126, but I did measure it and it is just shy of 46 inches. If I was to commit to this driver I would cut it down to 45 or close it it. On a previous day I have touched 184 ball speeds. Which is just screaming. Today was a bit of a struggle though.

Callaway Maverik.

looks: this driver is compact and sturdy looking. It looks like it has the smallest footprint. Which it should because it is smaller. It is 450cc where everything else other than my flash is 460. The face is deep’ish and looks like a cannonball. I am not a big fan of the orange but it is not a big deal.

Feel/sound: this driver is muted, it is by far the most muted of the bunch. It does not even sound like it is made of metal. The feel is solid but not harsh. It is not as soft as the TM but less harsh than the flash. I think that is due to the sound.

Performance: I know all these drivers tell a story of aerodynamics. With this driver I got my slowest averages for swing speeds right at 121-122. It feels the heaviest in terms of swing weight but I can’t say that is the case. But I will check these and provide an update. I have heard complaints of this being hook bias. I do not feel that is the case. I seemed to hit more fades with this driver than I did with the others. Also I got the slowest average ballspeed, but due to good launch and spin still didn’t lose any distance really. Of all the drivers I felt the most automatic today with this driver.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5

looks: the cobra driver looks great! I really like the matte and white version. I also really like the milking along the edge of the face. I felt like it was helpful at aligning the club head and setting up square. It is right in the middle of everything footprint wise. Not too big, not too small. The head shape is a little different as well. Where the callaway was round and the Taylormade pear shaped. This is a bit more triangular. It is not sharp but that is the best why I could describe the shape.

feel: this driver feels solid, much like the cobra heads of old. Again it is right in the middle. It feels softer than my flash, and the maverik, but for firmer than the taylormade. The ball seems to leave the head quickly. The sound is probably the loudest of the group out side the flash. I like it though. It is not a tin can, but has a solid thwack.

performance: this driver is a bit of an outlier due to the shaft. It was the haz yellow with is counterbalanced. I don’t know if a counter balanced shaft if the best for me. I have never played one. Because it is somewhat different from the others, I don’t know if these numbers are optimized for this head or not. The numbers were good and pretty consistent. I just wonder if they would be better or worse with a different shaft. I just didn’t have a x flex in any other shaft to try.

This driver did produce some good numbers. I was right at my average in terms of swing speed, The spin stayed down and the ball speed stayed good. I just wonder where they would be with a better match to the others in terms of shaft.

Summary: So, who went over the top rope and who was left alone hands raised in the middle of the ring? I guess you could say this is the classic happy ending where everyone won something, but no one won everything. Setting up a larger pay per view rematch with other possibly entering the drama.

Someone said they would all be similar. And, that is true, they are. But they all offer something slightly different in terms of looks, feel, and sound. Those are all as important in different ways as the numbers when choosing a driver.

I don’t know how much the current trend towards aerodynamics makes a difference. It may, but I really can’t tell. The Taylormade gave me the highest swing speeds and ball speeds but I think (need to confirm) it is also the longest in its stock setup. So is it aerodynamics or length? I don’t know.

in terms of looks, the Taylormade is my fav. I like that classic pear shape to the more angular cobra and bowling ball Callaway.

In terms of feel and sound. I prefer the cobra. It is kinda the baby bear of the group. It is kinda “ just right” . I feel the callaway lacks a bit of feedback being so muted and the Taylormade while giving great feed back is maybe a hair soft feeling. The cobra in my opinion (again, I don’t mind a bit of sound) sounds great. Many know really like that super muted sound and Callaway will give you that.

Ballflight: today Taylormade lost badly. I couldn’t get it up (That’s what she said). The maverick was consistent so was the Cobra. I think I would have to stick with my gamer if I had to choose today though. Given the right combo, I think the cobra could be a series runner here. Also maybe the SIM Max is a better fit.

If you are in the market for a driver. Go in with no pre conceived notions. Hit them all and see which check the boxes for you in terms of look, feel, and sound. They are all going to perform.

As I can and as drivers come out (Mizuno) I am going to add Them to this.

I also plan on adding the standard Mav, SIM Max, and the Cobra extreme at a later date.

plus I want am going to run through this with my buddy who is at around 110 swing speed.

Posted:
Post edited by QuigleyDU on
Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Comments

• jvincentjvincent  1158WRX Points: 519Members Posts: 1,158

Should be interesting. In for the updates.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT  7278WRX Points: 380Handicap: 5Members Posts: 7,278

Placeholder for updates

Posted:
  • tomg1969tomg1969  1977WRX Points: 124Members Posts: 1,977

In

Posted:
  • getitdailygetitdaily  3011WRX Points: 300Handicap: +.5Members Posts: 3,011

I'm gonna guess mavrik sz wins out for you.

I intended to post launch monitor data but I hot so many balls and so many head, shaft, loft, weight position combos that it would have been difficult to do. I probably hit 150 or more driver shots yesterday and today.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9059WRX Points: 2,572Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,059

i am going in with zero expectations. Trying to be as unbiased as possible.

Posted:
  • avguyavguy Replacement Player Sonoran Desert, AZ 1094WRX Points: 132Members Posts: 1,094

The Iron Byron is strong in you, Luke!!!🚀

Glad to have your contributions here for some in-field results!

You'll give us more than raw no's, I suppose such as: feel, sound, look at address, and adjustable tune factor?

Posted:
    BAG ONE:                                                                                                                     BAG TWO:
    D-Titleist 917 D2  or 910 D2                                                                                           D-Srixon Z355 
    5- Mizuno MP titanium                                                                                                    3-TM R11ti
    H-Titleist 915 H1 18, Titleist 816  H1 21, Bridgestone Precept ECU 25                        H-TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21, Cobra AC 25
    I - TM P790 or TM M5 5-PW                                                                                           I - Honma TW727M or Callaway R MBs  5-PW 
    W- Mizuno 52, Vokey SM6 58                                                                                       W- Mizuno 53, & 58
    P- Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                                         P-Guerin TS Black 370

Advertisement

I will do my best to make it as complete as possible. Any suggestions on how to proceed are alwasy appreciated. Planning on taking some pictures, post launch monitor numbers, and give my subjective feedback.

The Current driver list for this are.

My current driver - Epic Flash SZ triple Diamond 10.5

new 2020 drivers Maverik SZ, TM SIM (and maybe SIM Max), Cobra speedzone. I am planning on testing all in the 10.5 loft range and everything in standard and neutral settings. I am thinking I will get warm then hit 4-5 shots with all of them and share all the data. I don't think it is all to helpful to just pick the good shots. You have to show the bad as well.

Posted:
  • jvincentjvincent  1158WRX Points: 519Members Posts: 1,158

I think it's acceptable to thrown out swings where you know you made a bad pass at the ball. We're not machines, it happens.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3359WRX Points: 316Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,359

I'd say to include a few of the best from last year in the mix as well to see if there are any advances. I'd say the TS3 and Ping, maybe the Cobra as well.

Posted:
    Taylormade m5 Tour Atmos Black TS
    Taylormade m6 fairway Atmos
    Titleist TS3 19 hybrid Evenflow Black
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-pw
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

I thought about that, but I am just worried about fatigue, and figured those have been around long enough that everyone should have tried them by now. I don't want this to take hours or days to complete. I am thinking I want to get this done in an hour or two tops. Again, not super scientific.

Also, I know I can get the shaft on the current list to match up pretty well. So it will be pretty fair. I will think about adding a couple more though.

Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3359WRX Points: 316Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,359

ok i get that. I' say to also get a new Mizuno on that list too.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 

Advertisement

If I can. At the moment I not have access to one.

Posted:
  • halliedoghalliedog  2470WRX Points: 284Handicap: 5.2Members Posts: 2,470

In you original post you said you putting "everything" new against you old driver. Are there really only 3/4 new drivers out from OEMs this year?

Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • Breezy-3-Breezy-3-  409WRX Points: 116Handicap: 6Members Posts: 409

Ping and Titleist are off cycle this year, so as far as the Major OEM’s he’s got it just about covered. PXG and Mizuno are tough to get your hands on to test depending On where you’re located, so yeah..

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* Ventus Black 6X
    Taylormade M3 3HL Ventus Black 7X
    Titleist 915h 3H AD DI 105X
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-9 Nippon Modus 120x
    Mizuno T20 46* & 50* Nippon Modus 120x
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 54* & 58* Raw 
    Piretti Matera Elite
    Taylormade TP5
  • Sean2Sean2  31494WRX Points: 697Members Posts: 31,494

I will be curious to see if any have a real WOW! factor to them.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. 

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is, and not as it should be. 

• halliedoghalliedog  2470WRX Points: 284Handicap: 5.2Members Posts: 2,470

Gotcha! Didn't factor those 2 in being off years, and agree it can be difficult to get you hands on the "others".

Posted:
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Advertisement

I'd give yourself 3 or 4 shots with each to start before you capture the 4-5. Just a bit of difference in feel between the heads and you may need a few adjustment balls.

Posted:

Mavrik does...it really does, in two ways:

1. Fast, low spin, high launch. It hit a few that carried 280 at 158 ballspeed.

2. Toe side strike that bails left...off the grid

I had a problem with mavrik and sim max face closing too much. Combine that with my normal toe side of center strike and I saw a couple with mavrik where I said "wow" that's off the grid.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2  31494WRX Points: 697Members Posts: 31,494

Thanks. I have read some very positive comments about the Mavrik on this forum.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. 

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is, and not as it should be. 

Why callaway hasn't done something about the toe side strike befuddles me. If they had twist face like technology in mavrik then I would have ordered it.

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement

i am trying to all 2020 launches. I will try to do the mizuno. I can add more. It will just take more time. I don’t mind, I just figured most would be concerned with the most recent releases.

Posted:
  • gibbyfangibbyfan  1259WRX Points: 135Members Posts: 1,259

I am really interested in your results. My TI Triple Diamond just came.

Posted:

Driver: For now. Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5 w/ Evo4 661 X
    3wd: Titleist TS2 15 w/ Atmos Black 8s Tour Spec Tour Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff
    4Iron: Titleist 716 T-MB w/ PX 6.0
    5-W: Miura CB 1007 w/ Satin PX 6.0
    Wedges: Miura Tour 51, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 125
    Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

• schimmelschimmel  41WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 41

I'd make sure all head+adapter weights are equal

Posted:

weight do you mean? I just going to use the stock adapters with everything in neutral settings.

Posted:

Any club that can launch 14 degrees and 2000 rpm at 158mph can get 280 carry. It’s science. It depends more on proper fitting and good technique.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 

Advertisement

I think you're underestimating the intent of my comment. Sure, any club that hits those numbers will produce that result...

I've hit a ton of drivers the last 2 months and 3 clubs produced those numbers or came close

Mavrik sz

Epic flash triple dismond

Sim and sim max came close

Ts3 - nope

G410 and 410 lst - not close

F9 or speed zone not close

Mavrik is really good. Except that toe strike.

Posted:

The ts3 does. Those are almost my exact numbers. I’m usually around 155, 156 ball speed with 2000-2100 spin. I can’t swing any faster and maintain good launch.

I haven’t been on monitor with sim or maverick yet.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8736WRX Points: 1,109Members Posts: 8,736

Happy bday young Quigg.

I know you swing in the mid to upper 120's but if you wouldn't mind maybe trying to snap a few data points closer to the 110-115 range if you have the time? Almost nobody here swings like you and although it's really cool to see bombs being hit, it's tough to draw conclusions for the 'regular' wrx'er who lives more in the low to maybe mid 100s.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B 70
    3h - '17 Tour Issue M1 | Tour Blue 85
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8539WRX Points: 2,289Members Posts: 8,539

280 carry out of 158 ball speed would only happen on a foresight monitor IMO

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.