Narcissism and the Pga Tour.

Irishman1979 ·  
Irishman1979Irishman1979  286WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 286

Do you believe narcissism exists on the Pga Tour and if so which players would you classify as one? I’ll start... Tiger Woods and Patrick Reed. Let’s be honest Tiger may have turned his game around but it’s very rare for a Tiger to change his stripes into his 40s. This would explain why he has never had a healthy long lasting marriage and burned many bridges. Also this behavior began long ago when he was a child due to his early fame, so it’s only gotten worse. One of the biggest traits of a narcissist is antisocial disorder and if you look at Tiger he’s definitely antisocial. He reminds me of what Michael Jackson would have been if he was a pro golfer.

I don’t think we really need to go into detail about Patrick Reed. We all know how much of a loser that guy is.

Man do I feel sorry for the young kids today and the players they have to idolize on tour. But let’s be honest, many (not all) junior golfers become narcissists as well. Due to their environment.

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jjthomp2jjthomp2  261WRX Points: 119Handicap: 3Members Posts: 261

I can't tell if this is a serious post but okay i'll bite. Golf is a individual sport. You're not making it on the PGA tour without some belief in yourself. Can that come across as narcissism? Maybe...I don't know for that matter any great athlete that doesn't believe in themselves. You can substitute belief with confidence or arrogance if you will. But everything is on the line by their performance and theirs alone no one else is out there helping like in team sports. so yeah they're going to be a little full of themselves how could you not?

I think the NBA has more narcissists than the PGA tour... Lebron, Dwade, Kobe those guys were/are the worst.

Posted:
    Post edited by jjthomp2 on
    Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Taylormade M5 15.0
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-64 4-P
    Mizuno T20 50,55,60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • Irishman1979Irishman1979  286WRX Points: 105Members Posts: 286

Many Pro golfers are not relationship material (dating or just as a friend) for a reason. It only gets worse the more popular they become.

Posted:
  • jonsnowjonsnow Georgia 1391WRX Points: 362Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 1,391
    Posted:
    WITB:
    Ping G410 Plus 9
    Ping G400 14.5
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

Advertisement
  • jonsnowjonsnow Georgia 1391WRX Points: 362Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 1,391
    Posted:
    WITB:
    Ping G410 Plus 9
    Ping G400 14.5
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • the bishopthe bishop  3701WRX Points: 613Members Posts: 3,701

Pretty sure it was Norman who coined the phrase "I love me some me" and not T. Owens and especially not J.T. I kid of course but while Palmer may have been one of the first to develop a brand around himself Norman took it to another level and expanded that brand to include lifestyle areas outside of golf. So these narcissistic players you speak of are really just trying to be relevant and in the moment so their brands stay relevant. But Reed is just a sociopath.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10*
    TM M1 (2016) 14*
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    TM Ardmore 3

Advertisement
  • FergusonFerguson  5568WRX Points: 2,678Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 5,568

That right. Norman surrounded himself with things that made him appear larger than life such as big boats, big cars, expensive homes and a nice collection of art. Gary Player branded himself in similar fashion many years earlier as the Black Knight. He too has a very nice art collection. It doesn't make either of them narcissistic. My wife, a clinical psychologist, would characterize these guys as having an "expansive personality."

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29592WRX Points: 6,083Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,592
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19882WRX Points: 3,847ClubWRX Posts: 19,882

Is that like starting a lot of similar threads just to sit back enjoy the show? Is that something else? Help me out here!

Posted:

Okay, but they both seemed to enjoy how they looked posting naked for one reason or another, like they think they are actual works of art - what do we make of that? No comment on the "expansive" in this context, lol.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • the bishopthe bishop  3701WRX Points: 613Members Posts: 3,701

Great point and I forgot about Player. But this brings up something else. Palmer, Player and Norman when branding themselves made their brand logo something other than their initials. Palmer the iconic umbrella, Player the knights helmet and Norman the shark. Do you think that symbolism helps detach the players own personality from the brand somewhat so that when people see it they focus more on what the brand is trying to promote rather than the person's own personality? I say this because most modern players brands are just some stylized variation on their initials. Tiger deviates from this somewhat with TGR and those 3 pointed pinnacles or cones or whatever they are.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10*
    TM M1 (2016) 14*
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*
    W/S C300 Forged 4-P
    W/S PMP 50/54/58
    TM Ardmore 3
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29592WRX Points: 6,083Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,592

Serious question master Ferg....

in the clinical definition , or understanding ... Is there a spectrum of that “ blatant disregard “ for others ? Or is it an all or nothing thing. I ask because i don’t know , but my opinion is that with most things human , it’s rarely an on or off thing. Usually a lot of in between.

If that is the case , then a lot of people may qualify to a degree.

if not then wow. The word is truly reserved for the cannibals and real nastys that exist ?

Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

Just texted my wife:

expansive personality.....nudity a part of that whole scene?

her reply: only if they have the goods

Posted:
    Posted:

I can't overload my wife with questions. She'll play along but can only tolerate so much from me on a work day.

From what I know - a true narcissist only thinks about "the self." It's a lack of empathy.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Ironman_32Ironman_32  11WRX Points: 9Members Posts: 11

I think you can take that approach in every sport, its the IG era.

Pro sports always had narcissists, just easier for them to get their message out. Its like Bill Burr always talks about, guys in the NFL make one decent play, or get a two yard gain and start dancing like they won the Super Bowl.

Guys in golf are the same way, shoot one round of 74 and they're already talking about what their personal logo should be. Imagine getting on tour where you get the oscar gift bags every week.

Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1357WRX Points: 546Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 1,357

Can't wait to see his next thread

Posted:
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage San Diego

Lol 😂 maybe you can give her a foot rub later this evening and slip in The old “ clinical case study “ question ......

just thinking out loud mind you. But is it coincidence that MY wife can also only tolerate so much from me on a workday......? Rarely does a day go by that i don’t get just the facepalm emoji back . 🤦‍♀️

Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• ItsjustagameItsjustagame  1317WRX Points: 151Handicap: 8Members Posts: 1,317

The list of rich, famous narcissistic athletes, entertainers, CEOs and politicians is long

Posted:
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • jt2gtjt2gt  664WRX Points: 154Members Posts: 664

Kuch carries around his bronze medal in his backpack and enjoys the attention it brings when he pulls it out at security. If that isn't on the narcissism spectrum, I don't know what is.

Posted:

Advertisement

Sure, that won't seem too awkward. She's not a foot rub type of person. In fact, when she gets a pedicure she is so ticklish she busts out laughing - it's really funny to watch her try and hold it back.

Posted:
  • thevaporzthevaporz  3206WRX Points: 378Handicap: 13Members Posts: 3,206

Bruce Koepka

Posted:
  • isaacbmisaacbm  3388WRX Points: 428Handicap: +2.9Members Posts: 3,388

94% of all men display at least 6 of the 12 main characteristics used to describe a narcissist.

82 % of all statistics are irrelevant...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jholzjholz  1667WRX Points: 474Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 1,667

I don't think that every professional athlete, let alone professional golfer, is a narcissist in the clinical definition of the word. Some of them are, however.

I think it is also possible that the nature of being a professional athlete lends itself to developing narcissistic tendencies. This is, in part, a result of the way they are treated by everyone who sees them as a meal ticket. This serves to reinforce the narcissism - al la Patrick Reed. The narcissist can screw over all sorts of people, yet there's always another person trying to hitch their wagon to them. Beyond this, narcissism provides a competitive advantage. If you think you are awesome, you are more likely to perform at a high level.

Yet, I think it is also important that we recognize the very odd psychological conditions that high level professional athletes occupy. At the highest levels, most athletes are going to fail most of the time. A PGA Tour pro might be better than 99.9% of people at golf, but if they don't win, they are generally considered a failure. So, they have to find other ways to show that they have been successful. Ian Poulter and Phil Mickelson come to mind in this light. What might look like narcissism may simply be a coping mechanism.

Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.