New set of irons

Comments

• RedsReds  624WRX Points: 53Handicap: 6.6Members Posts: 624

Honestly man, you are clueless. A forged iron will not help your spin and dispersion as a 19 hdc. I bet you anything you cant even tell the difference between forged vs cast. The last thing you should be looking at is a blade iron.

You have had alot of good advice in your last 2 threads and you havent followed any of it. So go ahead and buy yourself a set of blades. Then you will be coming back to start another thread on how they are too heavy and you should have bought shovels instead.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles  535WRX Points: 158Handicap: 13Members Posts: 535

How is op not a troll. I just can't comprehend. It's a similar schtick to one I'm following now on an MMA forum. Tons of great advice, guy does the exact opposite. This dude posts videos though, we are only getting threads from paddy as of now....

Posted:
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • WristySwingWristySwing  373WRX Points: 212Members Posts: 373

I don't know why I'm even bothering dragging myself into this again, since the last thread you listened to literally noone despite the good advice. For the love of God, do not buy blades. To be blunt, you are not good enough to hit them and will have an awful, awful time trying to get them to work. I don't care if the 5i is bent to 36* (10* weaker than normal) , you still don't have the swing mechanics to hit something in the middle consistently if you are averaging only 1 GIR per round. That is terrible, even for someone struggling to break 100. You honestly aren't even good enough for P790s. Never, ever, ever buy a club based on where you want to be, buy a club based on where you are now as there are no guarantees you will actually get to where you want to be.

I said it in the other thread before, pay for a fitting at PGA Superstore or Golf Galaxy AND LISTEN TO THEM. You have a limited budget so don't entertain any thoughts of waltzing into Club Champion or True Spec or Sea Island and getting a recommendation for anything remotely on the same planet as what you want to spend. You were offended that you got suggested Ping at PGASS and GG and now you are excited to do the Ping web fit? C'mon man...why are you so bipolar? Get fit for something at a chain store, even if it is for just length, lie/loft, and generally shaft weight and you can find something that fits your budget.

However, you already have a club that you crush you said. That Big Bertha CF19 4iron....remember her? The one that had even the MasterFit "pro" speechless? Why not just buy a set of those and reshaft them in a year or two when you get better?

Posted:

Driver -- empty

PXG 0341 13.5* - HZRDUS T1100 75

Rogue SZ 18* - Veylix Arcane 70

Titleist 917F2 21* - Diamana Thump 85

New Level 1031 5-PW - Accra 110i

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58ES - Accra 123i

Bettinardi or Scotty

• Warrior42111Warrior42111 Florida 329WRX Points: 144Handicap: 19Members Posts: 329

Got my popcorn ready for this $hitshow

But seriously OP, if you want to get the best clubs at your price range you have to go to a fitter like PGA or GG. Heck, you said Jacksonville, I know it's a ride but I go to Moon golf in central Florida, and it's a great experience. But it's all on you. The fitter is going to use the unbiased information produced by your swing data during the fitting. They might be able to squeeze out some yards and tighten the dispersion some. From there it's all practice.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• Marco ColoMarco Colo  650WRX Points: 187Handicap: 18.5Members Posts: 650

BOOOM!!

Can’t wait for the replies 😁😁.

Had to go out for dinner, but thinking now of canceling and enjoy this

Posted:
  • Paddy_2_IronPaddy_2_Iron  361WRX Points: 68Handicap: 19Members Posts: 361

I kind of screwed the pooch, the 4 iron goes 170 my 5 iron hawkeye goes the same distance...... I could do the big bertha 2019 with the Ozik's. but it would be just 5 - 9. I'm playing a more controlled game not as much power. I am focusing more on keeping the ball in front and in managable distances.

Maybe the P700's from the member then reshaft with the Ozik's. That will probably help me dial my game in. I need to hit 5 - 6 GIR's the 1 - 2 around isn't sitting well with me...... I'm not able to keep up with the better players and to be honest that's not an option for me.

I'm struggling beating old farts playing from the greens. Even playing the whites I should be all over them. It's embarrassing.....

I am having a hard time hitting the 3 hybrid from MF or even the TS2 5 wood. I just recently gave away my crossover 2 i and srixon driving iron.... To a friend.

I honestly think my equipment is letting me down.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Bad9Bad9  4586WRX Points: 474Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 4,586

He is absolutely a troll and is pretty good at it.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping IE1 6-U/CFS70 r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/CFS70 r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk  690WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 690

It gets better guys. He won’t listen to what you say and insists he’s a 23 handicap despite saying he wants to break 100 in other threads.

Paddy, just go get your money back for the other rubbish masterfit irons instead of making excuses for the store. Then people may take you seriously.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G410 4-UW
    Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.

It's just one local track I run from time to time. I don't struggle as much on other courses. This course is extremely tight...... You really have to bring your A game. It's like the Rivera of Jacksonville.

Posted:

• WristySwingWristySwing  373WRX Points: 212Members Posts: 373

Again, I'm getting sucked in which is what I imagine you want. But no. No Taylormade P7xx series club is going to help you. If you have a big slice with the driver and then a hook with the irons you struggle a lot with face control. A head or shaft is only going to help so much in the sense that they aren't going to twist as much as something else or the release of the head is going to be more controlled. What does this mean? It means that you may fix one of your misses but not both using equipment alone.

You are right, your Hawkeyes aren't doing you any favours at the moment. Both you have to realize at some point that a club is not a magic wand. A tour pro doesn't hit 12+ GIR because they play blades for the same reasons that George Clooney doesn't date supermodels because he wears a Rolex or whatever. At the end of the day, you can look the part but you still have to have some talent, which you can leverage through practicing, getting lessons, and playing the right equipment for your game to help manage your miss-hit. A blade is not the answer here. I don't care if you are 0* down through the strike zone (i.e. just sweeping the grass), a blade is not going to mean you are going to hit it straight every single time. Anyone who posts that is lying and has no data to back that up. As I said in the previous thread, I've been fitting for close to 20 years and the amount of people I have fit into blades I can count on 1 hand.

What you need is a moderately sized sole iron, with minimal offset but lots of help to maintain ball speed on mishits. Again, much of what is posted in these threads is complete garbage and anecdotal evidence. Strong lofts are there for a reason, offset is there for a reason, wide soles are there for a reason, despite the claims of your 12-15 handicap saying they hit blades better than anything else. I call absolute BS on that and challenge anyone to actually go out and play a set of GI irons for a decent length of time that are in the ball park of what fits you and then address your GIR. I bet the GIR goes up a bit, even if score doesn't change appreciably.

Irons are strong lofted to promote more ball speed for the average player who flips the club. Ball speed creates height and steeper descent angles. Peak height and descent angles are just as effective, if not more effective than using spin to stop a ball. Why? Because they are predictable. Spin is insanely regulated by strike on the face. There is something like 1800 RPMs of spin difference between the low heel and high toe of a golf club. If you are hitting wild hooks with everything that likely means you are toe-basing the bejesus out of it. Since you slice a lot with the driver, I know you come over the top and you can't square the driver but an iron you can because of the shorter shaft and offset but you overcompensate and have a hooded face. When you have a hooded face and come over the top there is nothing more to do than smash the toe of the club producing a low spin duck hook that runs for miles and flys forever but has no spin.

Ping G700s will help, sure, but they are also probably the most offset iron out there, so they will only contribute to your hook. What you need is some Mizuno Hot Metal Pros, Ping G410s, or Wilson C300s.

Posted:

Driver -- empty

PXG 0341 13.5* - HZRDUS T1100 75

Rogue SZ 18* - Veylix Arcane 70

Titleist 917F2 21* - Diamana Thump 85

New Level 1031 5-PW - Accra 110i

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58ES - Accra 123i

Bettinardi or Scotty

@WristySwing - Totally get you, but what about a mid HDCP iron like some of those Mizunos or Pings P700? Some forgiveness but still player iron qualities?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera  5444WRX Points: 223Handicap: -1.6Members Posts: 5,444

They still do Hawk on select (overstock) models. I was looking to buy another set of S55's and they said no. You can by replacements (2 per calendar year and no more than 4 of the same model).

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 2D 9* MCA Diamana ZF 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Fuji Speeder 904 HB
    PING S55 5-9 DGTI X100 TI
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  DGTI S400 TI
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • Break68Break68 Obviously Your'e NOT a Golfer Vancouver, Canada 624WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Members Posts: 624

Stop responding, this is insanity!

My mother is Bi-Polar, this is all starting to make sense.

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver 10.5*, Stiff
    Callaway XR16 3 wood 15*, Stiff
    Callaway Rogue 4 hybrid 21*, Stiff
    Callaway X-22 4-pw, Rifle 6.0
    Maltby Tour Grind MG 52* 56* 60*, Rifle 6.0
    Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide
    Lamkin R.E.L. ACE Midsize Grips
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles  535WRX Points: 158Handicap: 13Members Posts: 535
    Posted:
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120

Just got back from the second fitting.....

No money will be returned, he offered to give me a discount if I wanted another set of irons.

Hawkeyes are C8, the new irons are D4.

On flight scope I was having trouble hitting the D4's. The fitter insisted that tour pros play heavier heads and I should be doing the same. He didn't like the idea of making the swing weight lighter in the head.

I rented the bay for an hour and was able to hit my hawkeyes really straight I was impressed..... I did top a few at the end, I was tired but prior I was doing well.....

Distances.

60 - 90

56 - 100

51 - 110

46 - 115

9 - 120

8 - 140

7 - 150

6 - 160

5 - 165

3 - Hybrid 180

Driver 225 (Note tee was low and I couldn't get a good upswing on it). Normally I'm 230-235

Started tinkering with my ball positioning and having me swing more right and out. Maybe the lighter irons are working for me because they are hiding swing flaws whereas the new irons that are built for my swing aren't working because of those same flaws? My AOA was neutral or negative with the hawkeyes so what was encouraging.

I think this is over...... Hawkeyes it is. I appreciate all the advise.

Posted:

Wrong

I was able to hit the hawkeyes much straight, much straighter.

Posted:

Advertisement

Maybe the lighter irons are working for me because they are hiding swing flaws. You know what helps swing flaws? Lessons.

Posted:
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6447WRX Points: 990Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 6,447
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

Now I freaking top everything when I went to the range after swinging the heavy clubs...... Im so pissed off I can't even think clearly. I am so freaking done with that place, I am so irate I can't put it into words hardly.

I almost hit a guy standing next to me. "Whoa man" 😡

I'm taking these clubs up to goodwill end of story. DONE!

Posted:

@nsxguy Depends usually 2 - 3. I was looking at my data...

Most of the time it's par 3's or par 5.

Posted:

• HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North Texas 6683WRX Points: 534Members Posts: 6,683

You are going to get rid of the lighter clubs that you were hitting fine a couple hours ago?

And replace them with heavier clubs, even though they tick you off?

Posted:

Advertisement

No keeping the lighter one's just got rid of the 3 hybrid and irons.

After swinging the heavy ones for 30 minutes I began to top the lighter ones. I then went to another range hit a small bucket and topped..... Finally quit and went to the driver surprisingly that was perfect. Only carrying 200 but I was just trying to get into a groove. Went back up and hit a large, only brought a 5, 7 and 9. Hit the 5 and 7 really well, still not hitting the 9 all that good. I feel much better I am able to advance the ball and get it near some pins.

Finally over the iron debacle, picks coming up once they come in.....

Posted:

Full set outside of Goodwill prior to donating.

Posted:

Proof here. Attendant clearly has irons in his hands gathering from the donation cart.

Posted:

I listened to the advice.

Try to get money, back check wouldn't do it.

Had irons weighed, Hawkeyes C8, D4 for 7 iron new set donated

Prior to heavy I was hitting Hawkeye irons focusing on swing right of the target line hitting them straight with a nice draw.

Sorry for coming off schitzo I spent more money than I care to admit and now the mistake is officially over.... Sunk cost and all.....

Posted:

• HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North Texas 6683WRX Points: 534Members Posts: 6,683

I don’t understand why you were hitting the irons that you had already already decided to get rid of, so figured the “heavy” ones you were hitting today were something new you were trying.

“Finally over the iron debacle, picks coming up once they come in.....”

You ordered some new irons?

Posted:

Advertisement

I'm looking at the specs on several clubs mentioned and look at the posted swing weights. C8

For some reason the G400's are posting but they are showing C8 as well......

Posted:

Not yet, I was trying to get my money back from some other irons but they wouldnt do it so I donated them to Goodwill. He wanted me to hit a few and see what I was doing wrong, but I couldnt hit them well, maybe 3 out of 20 swings.

I then proceeded to hit my hawkeyes at the flightscope bay and I was liking what I was seeing. 150 7 iron straight etc.... At the end I began to top them....

I now know what my swing weight is. @dxdgenert and others told me to find out and I did. C8 and I like those. Maybe C9 or D0 would be better, but what I know now is I like the C8's

Posted:

• danielt823danielt823 Melbourne 71WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 71

This thread is stupid. You are either trolling us or there is another underlying issue.

All the best with your golfing journey, looking forward to many more of your threads.

Posted:

D: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    FW: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    I: Mizuno MP20 - KBS $-Taper (Black PVD) (3 HMB/4,5,6,7 MMC/8,9,PW MB)
    W: Titleist SM7 Chrome (50/56/60)
    P: Taylormade Spider X Tour - Blue/Small Slant
    B: Titleist ProV1
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover

Advertisement
  • RedsReds  624WRX Points: 53Handicap: 6.6Members Posts: 624

There is no way in **** I could tell the difference between C8 and C9 or **** even D2 which is what my irons are supposed to be now and Ive played more golf and bought more iron sets in the last 20 years then Id like to admit. Your nuts man. I bet you its the weight of the shaft thats messing with you and not the head weight. You need lessons and course time. You havent listened to anything anyone has told you in these last 2 threads and you arent going to in the next 10 threads you create either. You are however very entertaining and a good read.

I really believe you are not trolling. You just know nothing about golf clubs. How in the **** could someone think about making up what their "swing weight" is. I didnt know there was such a thing. Theres preferences sure but your acting like its the equivalent to a golfers blood type and everyone has one.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.