Importance of Day 1

leezer99 ·  
leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 1551WRX Points: 834Handicap: A BillionMembers Posts: 1,551

Just wanted to get everyone's feedback on day one results of multi day events. Seems like you really can't win on day one but you can lose. Thoughts? This would also be interesting to track throughout the year (not it!) to see who the real grinders are.

I went through last week's Sony Open and saw the following:

• After day 1 data (cut was +2):
    • 79 players were +2 after day one
    • 15 players went from missing to making the cut
    • 77 total players ended up missing the cut
    • 13 players went from making the cut to missing the cut

Top Players that went from Miss to Make (column 6 is their day 1 to day 2 differential). Largest differential was Vincent Whaley going from 81 to 67 (14 shot spread) but he still missed the cut.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Comments

• kekoakekoa  9261WRX Points: 679Handicap: 4-20ClubWRX Posts: 9,261

I agree with the statement. Case in point. My son shot a whopping +9 on day 1 of an FCG qualifier a few weeks ago and basically blew any chance of winning the tournament. The course was just way to long for him to shoot anything under on day 2. I will say he had 5 doubles on the first day so +9 isn't really that bad. lol!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1551WRX Points: 834Handicap: A BillionMembers Posts: 1,551

Oh man, that's a bummer. I didn't end up looking at the results but I'm sure if your son had that score it was difficult for all the boys. Did anyone make mention of the distance with Chris or Antrone? I know they up the yardages on bigger events but there has to be a way to compensate for wet soggy fairways with no roll versus firm and fast.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• tiger1873tiger1873  1407WRX Points: 279Members Posts: 1,407

This is entirely dependent on the tournament and how big it is. Generally speaking if you have a bad day the odds of winning are against you.

One thing a lot kids and parents forget is every stroke counts in a multiway event so it really isn't over until you get to the last hole and on the last day. you never know what will happen on day 2 or especially in junior tournaments. I have seen cases where the 1st place on day one blows it on day 2 and ends up in last place. I have also seen kids who pull off the round their life and win on day 2. Granted these were small fields but a lot movement happens day to day with kids since they make mistakes. Pro's are different there game is not very likely to break down and a mistake can cost anyone at anytime.

The biggest take is you have to learn never give up.

Posted:

I told Antrone and they adjusted day 2 yardages, but that just made it easier for the 10 yr old bombers. On day 1 we were playing 480 yrd par 5's. that makes no sense for a 9 yr old.

Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3536WRX Points: 861Members Posts: 3,536

I notice that in 36 hole events the 18 hole leader rarely wins. If you can hang within 5 strokes of the lead, you really have a shot.

Posted:
  • Kcct82Kcct82  214WRX Points: 123Members Posts: 214

480 is huge, but I guess they’re setting the yardage for 10 year olds since it’s a 9-10 group...

I hear you though, cause I’m looking at the yardages for 7-8 year olds, and there’s no way my 7 YO kid can par those distances. Size = Distance = Winner in junior golf 😆

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11  480WRX Points: 288Handicap: 8Members Posts: 480

My son played a 3 day event (State Championship) and a 2 day event (Old school tourney that has been around forever). 3 day event we didn't expect him to win but he completely collapsed and shot himself out of contention on the first day. 2 day event he was only back 3 after day 1 and came out with his hair on fire on the first 5 holes and got it tied up. He ended up losing by 2 because the leader responded and made some clutch putts but taught him to just keep the leader close on day 1 and you will always have a chance. I think Heavy was right, magic number is 4-5 strokes off and you will have a chance.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • JuniorGolfParentJuniorGolfParent  124WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 124

I think if a player is not really in contention to win a tournament (only a handful really are capable of winning the big ones) then day 1 is no more important than the other days in the grand scheme of things.

Posted:

Yup. The leaders battle so hard against each other and kind of forget about the kids who are just behind them.

Posted:

I don't agree with this. I don't know what you consider big. AJGA just about every tournament is big and Just about anyone in the field can win. As you get older and the competition gets better things change. I have said it plenty of times on here as well. Golf is different after puberty than it is before puberty for the majority of kids.

Posted:

Bob Rotella says you should play the course, not other players.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JuniorGolfParentJuniorGolfParent  124WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 124

I think most kids kind of know where they stack up vs the competition. I wasn't really referring to a local (or even regional) tournament that you think you might have a shot at winning against superior competition. If you are playing a national (or international) event that attracts a lot of top players then one of them is almost certainly going to win the tournament.

Posted:

LOL! Easier said than done for Juniors or even pros for that matter.

Posted:

I agree with Heavy anyone can win when they get older. The older kids get the harder it is to actually win a tournament. In a lot cases almost anyone in the field has a good chance to win. In order to win you have to play your best and against the course not other players. The winner just happens to have a better day then everyone else.

Sometimes a kid just has a bad day or break other times nothing can go wrong. Just how golf is. In the younger tournaments you have kids who have better caddies or instruction or happen to have a birthday that makes them older by a lot. At some point none that matters anymore and a lot kids who used to win have a tough time.

Posted:

The ones at the top of leaderboard all Understand this. The better the player the less they care about other players.

Posted:

Fair I guess. Pointless to argue though as we have no idea what some of them are thinking. I've never heard any pga guys say, 'Yup, I won today by playing against the course.' :) I hear a lot more guys saying.....' I knew I needed to post ?? because so and so was playing well and making a charge.

Posted:

Advertisement

yes not something to argue but everyone knows what they can score and historically what is needed to win on the course for the time of year.

The field really doesn’t matter. In most cases you if you look at the scores over a few years the winner tends to have similar scores. If a golfers range is in that target you have a good chance of winning.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.