2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Hit a new putter now I feel bad about it

NorthTXGolf ·  
NorthTXGolfNorthTXGolf  90WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 90

lol this is completely first world problems here.

I was at Dick's sporting goods. I had heard the hype from **** and other places about the tommy armour impact 3. I really wanted a nice putter last year so I tested a bunch of blades (what I normally play) and ended up getting a custom stamped and filled bettinardi.

I hit the tommy armour impact 3 for about 10 minutes and it wasn't even blind placebo. I legitimately hit this $99 putter better than I have hit any putter. Now I think im going to have to buy it.... and possibly watch my $500 Bettinardi collect dust..

Posted:
PXG 0311XF 4-PW Modus Pro 120
Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Bettinardi BB1

Comments

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.  3019WRX Points: 542Handicap: I.Q.Members Posts: 3,019

You won't be he first. $$$$$ can't buy success, happiness or made putts.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cgasuckscgasucks  2401WRX Points: 323Members Posts: 2,401

Putters are very personal to a lot of people. That putter might be working great for you but not for others.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • jholzjholz  1687WRX Points: 480Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 1,687

Sounds like golf to me. Make sure you hold on to that Betti however. The second you sell or otherwise get rid of it, that TA3 is going to start missing putts.

Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
    Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres  1286WRX Points: 335Handicap: highMembers Posts: 1,286

So you tested a bunch of blade putters and spent $500 on one without ever trying out some mallets? Man. First thing I tell friends/family when they say they want a new putter is go to the golf shop and try EVERYTHING, multiple times if possible. Stay open minded.

Fake putting greens in a store and real putting greens in normal outside conditions are very different though. So many more factors come into play in real, on course play....green speed, slope, wind, nervousness, putting once every 15 minutes instead of every 15 seconds, etc...

Good luck with your TA. You may consider some other high MOI putters as well (TM spider, odyssey 7, Toulon las vegas, scotty Phanton or futura 6m, etc)...

Posted:

-Cobra F8+ driver w/ Tensei pro orange -TS3 15* w/ Evenflow -818 H2 17* w/ Atmos -816 H2 19* w/ Motore Speeder -MP32's w/ Rifles

-Vokeys 46.06, 52.12, 60.04/60.07 -SC Tei3 LN np2

• DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Michigan 3647WRX Points: 404ClubWRX Posts: 3,647

Just so you don't hate yourself again... whenever they have a 20% discount site wide... it has worked on the TA putter.

Also I guess there is a reason it was ranked well on another site, not one but two years running!

Posted:
  • NorthTXGolfNorthTXGolf  90WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 90

thats the thing. I actually did test quite a few mallets including some of the toulons, both the spider and spider mini, some odysseys. couple of the betti and scottys and an evnroll. No idea I have a very straight back straight forward arc and for some reason this just felt top notch to me.

Posted:
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro
    Bettinardi BB1

Advertisement
  • NorthTXGolfNorthTXGolf  90WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 90

LOL true. Yeah I was very surprised it has been ranked #1 on (apparently you cant say their name?) twice.

Posted:
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro
    Bettinardi BB1

Oh okay. Glad to hear. Sounds like you should get the TA and see how it treats you.

Posted:

-Cobra F8+ driver w/ Tensei pro orange -TS3 15* w/ Evenflow -818 H2 17* w/ Atmos -816 H2 19* w/ Motore Speeder -MP32's w/ Rifles

• nicelifenicelife  119WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 119

The shaft is painted with lead paint, and it chips off lead poisoning everything around you. You should stick with your BETT and save all that you love from lead poisoning.

Posted:
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.  2501WRX Points: 439Members Posts: 2,501

I went and tried one based on the hype over there... It's a good putter! Honestly, with a discount it's $80... probably worth taking a flyer on it. If nothing else, it's good to have a putter laying around the house.

Posted:

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• juststevejuststeve  5004WRX Points: 430Members Posts: 5,004

There are a number of reasons to buy a $500.00 putter, but, if you think a $500.00 putter will make you putt better, you're bound to be disappointed.

Steve

Posted:

Advertisement

In case you haven't bought it yet, there is this exact putter in 34" length for sale on the BST.

Posted:

• UTvols83UTvols83  231WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 231

I had a Betti that took me a while to find and loved it. A $110 Ping putter outperformed it for me...just the balance, feel, etc. Sold the "dream putter" Betti. I'm more than happy to find better performance in a lower priced package if it's just undeniable that the $$$$ club doesn't fit as well as the $$ club. I have to admit that if it's something I would be embarrassed to have in the bag...I don't even try it out.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* w/Diamana ZF
    Titleist 917 F2 18* w/Tensei Pro Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 21* w/Tensei Pro Blue
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 4 w/C-Taper Lite
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-P w/C-Taper Lite
    Mizuno s18 50*, 54*, 58* w/C-Taper Lite
    Ping Sigma G Tess
  • luckypolkluckypolk  86WRX Points: 42Members Posts: 86

My advice is to go back and putt with it again. I rolled an Odyssey #7 in the store a year ago and it was perfect. Stroke was smooth, set up perfectly, felt good, drained everything. I wasn't in the market for a new putter but it blew me away. Didn't buy that day, but had a bad day with my Scotty the next week and went back to the store a few days later to get the Odyssey. Rolled it a few times and the magic was gone. It seemed to have just fit me that one day. I've rolled it a few times since and it's never been anything but average. So I'd say give it another go before you spend your cash and make sure it's the right move.

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6513WRX Points: 1,020Handicap: 4.9Members Posts: 6,513

NEVER EVER buy a putter because you drain everything the first time you use it !!!

NEVER !!! LOL

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• MaineMarinerMaineMariner  664WRX Points: 410Members Posts: 664

I'll be damned if I don't prefer Wilson Staff's Infinite line ($100) to most putters in shops today, including Evnroll, most Pings, the Stroke Lab Odysseys, and everything TaylorMade makes.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190
    Adams Tight Lies 16 deg. 4 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8 / Toulon Austin

Advertisement
  • gsteitzgsteitz  346WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 346

Although it doesn't outperform either of my two gamers, I feel the same way about the TA Impact 2. I've tried it multiple times at the shop and it feels and performs better than any of the other off the rack options. Only thing I don't care for is the fit and finish, while not bad it definitely not great.

Clevelands done the same thing for years now and repeatedly put out great putters in the $100 range.

Posted:
  • BoomerGolfAnonBoomerGolfAnon  34WRX Points: 20Members Posts: 34

Something similar happened to me recently. My gaming putter is an Odyssey Stroke Labs Number 9 putter. I've always used semi-mallet putters with a lot of toe hang, so as soon as the Stroke Labs putters came out, I raced to the local golf shop to try them out. Over a 30-minute period I was consistently sinking 7 or 8 putts in a row with the Number 9, so I bought it on the spot. I LOVE this putter so much that I never practice with anything else.

Unfortunately, two weeks ago, I was at Puetz Golf getting a new grip installed on a club and I had 15 minutes to kill, so I wandered over to the putting area in the store. I looked for a 34" Number 9, but could only find one with the plastic cover still attached, so I grabbed an adjacent Stroke Labs V-Line putter just for fun. This model is basically the full-mallet version of the vaunted Number 9 (also with a lot of toe hang). OMG! I couldn't miss with this thing! I had streaks of 12 and 13 putts in a row without a miss! I couldn't believe it. Then, a week later I went back again...and the magic was still there.

Why oh why did I ever pick up that V-Line putter?? What a mistake...

Posted:
    Post edited by BoomerGolfAnon on
  • RP40RP40  141WRX Points: 117Members Posts: 141

I still remember back when literally nobody had heard of some guy named Scotty Cameron, and his over-priced cottage putter, and then some kind named Tiger started making everything with his SC Anser knockoff - and pretty soon guys were lining up ready to dole out three times as much as they'd ever paid for a putter to be like El Tigre.

Fast forward 20 years it's as if it's nothing to spend a car payment on a flatstick, as more and more manufacturers offer their own high-end putters - and it's like we're convinced they'll help us putt better. Yet we're buying putters based on what our hearts tell us what we want to believe, instead of letting tech guide out purchase - and instead of buying what makes the most putts. ... Consistently.

But I always have a thought that goes off in my head every time I see new putters, not that it always stops me from buying them, and it's the words of a salty old golfer who told me many, many moons ago, "If you can make putts with a bucket tied to the end of a stick, put it in your bag - but don't think your wallet is going to help you make putts."

Which brings me back to the original poster's query. ... To echo another couple of posters' comment, "never buy a putter because you drain everything the first time you use it," but go back a week later and if you're still draining everything then only then should you consider a purchase.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.