TaylorMade Twist Face flat spot.

molecularman ·  
molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MO 139WRX Points: 119Members Posts: 139

With the TM twist face drivers - is there a flatter area on the high toe, or is there still some radius?

I ask because I hit a few high toe shots yesterday and when I looked at my driver, I noticed a small flat spot on the high toe (face). I don't have another TM to compare, so I can't remember if that's just the way the twist face is, or if this is an actual flat spot.

I've included a photo of where the flat spot is. If I take a razor blade vertically, I can for sure tell there is a flat spot in the area. Every other area has a clear radius when I do that.

Figured I'd ask before taking it to the shop to get it checked.

Posted:

Comments

• Kale_mKale_m  2205WRX Points: 379Members Posts: 2,205

I dented my M6 on the toe side of the face. It does happen. Replaced no questions asked

Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 9* weight in toe, PW70tx 
    3wood — TBD 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20*
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Oddessey stoke lab 10s 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MO 139WRX Points: 119Members Posts: 139

Yeah, back in the day I had flattened the whole face of a 510, and TM was good about replacing it with the R5 at that time.

The flat spot is fairly subtle on the M4, so I didn't know if the twist faces just had a flatter area, or it was actually flat spot from hitting it.

Posted:
  • danielt823danielt823 Melbourne 71WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 71

Yep, happened to two M5’s. TM replaced but the second time within two months I asked for a refund and got fit for a different brand.

The rep said it’s a common occurrence with the design and if the golfers miss on the face is the high toe.

Posted:

D: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    FW: Callaway epic flash - Mitsubishi Diamana whiteboard d70+
    I: Mizuno MP20 - KBS $-Taper (Black PVD) (3 HMB/4,5,6,7 MMC/8,9,PW MB)
    W: Titleist SM7 Chrome (50/56/60)
    P: Taylormade Spider X Tour - Blue/Small Slant
    B: Titleist ProV1
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover

Thanks for the input.

I saw a thread a while back about the same issue. - but apparently in my neck of the woods, nobody as heard of it happening.

I was able to find a place that had a TM account, and I checked my M4 in comparison to the M5 and it was pretty clear the difference in radius or bulge up by the toe. So I can see it, and using the short side of a credit card, there is a distinct flat spot, but the person at the golf range couldn't really tell. So I guess they are shipping it out to TM and TM will look at it and decide.

A bit frustrating, as who knows when I will get my head, or a new head back. And I don't know if they will replace it with another M4, or something else. I'm a bit in the dark about it all right now. I guess luckily it isn't in season and I'd be without a driver for who knows how long.

Posted:

I’m in Australia, so once I took it back where I got it from TM must have approved the refund and credited their account and they gave me a brand new head off of a club out the back and I was done within a few days.

It was more annoying when I said give me a refund and went and got fit for a driver. That wait was a bit longer.

On the plus side, I got pretty comfortable with my 3w so that’s a bonus and has payed dividends for me now.

Posted:

Nice! Suppose I could use more quality time with the 3w as well.

Your profile says you have the Callaway Epic Flash now - you have found that the hold up a lot better than the TMs?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

In my experience it’s a better fit for me. I haven’t noticed any unusual marks or wear on the face.

I’ve picked up a fair bit more distance but I would say that’s because of the shaft more than anything, the diamana feels a lot more lively through the impact area and increased the smash factor quite a bit. Average carry now is around 245m or 270 yards. Previous was about 220m but that had the hzrdus smoke black 6.5.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.