2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

No distance gap between 6 and 5 iron?

jjfcpa

Yes, that's my dilemma. I'm currently playing the Apex CF19's. I have maybe a couple yards distance difference between my 6i and 5i. I've got some loaner clubs and found that lack of a gap holds true with pretty much every club that I've tried.

I did get 10 more yards than my 6i Apex with the Rogue X, but I'm guessing that's due more to the difference in loft than anything else because everything else is pretty much the same.

I do get better gapping with the Rogue X at the expense of spin with all the irons and I'm a little reluctant to game the Rogue X knowing that these are now obsolete.

So do I put the Rogue X in the bag as my 5i or do I drop the 5i and look for a hybrid to fill in the gapping?

Yep, sounds like a lowest effective loft problem to me.

I.e. once the loft gets too low you don't have enough speed to generate the required launch/spin conditions to get the optimal distance.

Or it could just be that the loft of the 5i is off.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Why would the Rogue X iron be obsolete? It still hits the ball the same distance as it did when new. Sounds like it might fit into your bag instead of the Apex iron.

• Like 1

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

I had issues with distances with my irons. I had loft and lie adjusted and now, I am getting the distance gaping as I should be.

Some OEM lie/loft tolerance is higher. Example: if your 6 iron is + 2* stronger and your 5 iron is = 1* weaker, there is only 1* of separation. of the two irons. I strongly suggest you have them checked and adjusted accordingly.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

You could still game the Rouge X. However, it's 21* that's the same as the 4i in your Apex set and really is a 3i. There are a lot of tour pros that don't game a 21* iron. You might get the distance you need with the Rouge X, but I bet your peak height, descent angle, and spin make it hard to stop it. If you are only going to use it as a tee club, or you only need it into greens you can run on to, it might work. But I think you probably need a hybrid. I bet a 23* or 24* hybrid will give you a great gap.

Sorry guys, should have added that I'm a senior golfer and a slow swing speed, so I'm guessing that whomever said I'm not generating a high enough swing speed for a 23.5* (that's what the Apex is) versus 21* for the Rogue X. Of course, when I hit the Rogue X, the swing speed is much lower (about 1,000 rpm) than the Apex.

However, I was hitting the Apex 5 again today and I was getting a 10 yard increase over the 6i. I think that's about what I should be getting.

I do think a hybrid would probably be a little more consistent than the Apex 5i, but I'm going to stick with the 5i for now.

I'm using the Winter months to work on my impact. I also noticed that the smash factor with the Rogue X is about 1.2 - 1.25 and the smash factor with the Apex is about 1.05 - 1.2. Is this because of the difference in loft or is it my swing difference with the two clubs.

The shaft on the Rogue X is a KBS 40 gram. The Apex is a UST 780 ES F2.

The Rogue X is a little easier to get those distance points that I've set, but I'm worried about the reduction in spin. I've been playing the Apex CF19's most of last year and really like the way they feel and play. I've yet to find a club that delivers on performance and I've tried a few others.

The Rogue X was fitted by Club Champion and I can see why they selected it, but as I said, Callaway has discontinued it and the reduction in spin may be a bigger issue when hitting into greens.

check the lofts

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I'm 55. My bag went Driver (185 yards) then 4w (175 yards), then my M2's starting with 19* and 22* hybrids before moving to the irons. After enough sessions on launch monitors to finally accept that there was no difference between my hybrids at about 165 yards, and not even being happy with how I hit the 22*, I tried a 7w and immediately kicked both hybrids out of the bag because I hit it the same distance, but higher and more consistently. I then tried a 9w and it immediately replaced my 5i. I now go Driver, 4w, 7w, 9w, 6i and my handicap dropped from 18 to 16 within a few weeks of making the changes.

Try some different type clubs (hybrid irons, hybrids, woods) to see what works best for you and set your bag up with what gives you the best results.

Check out Mark Crossfield's latest videos where he's doing exactly that by mixing-and-matching clubs to get the best setup for him.

• Like 1

My issues isn’t swing speed but I have ball striking issues. I’m actually looking at adding one of these hybrid-irons as a 5 iron or even a 5 and 6 iron replacement. I Struggle with my 5 iron but hit my 6 ok. Those Cleveland launchers look like a good blend from my hybrid to my irons that I hit well enough.

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

This is the reason why a lot of OEMs are making progressive sets now. Keep in mind that today's 5 irons are basically 4 iron loft or less. In order to hit a players club 5 and 6i you need some speed. If not, get fit for a progress set with faster, bigger, hotter long irons you can get the proper gaps back. Fitting is the Key!

As suggested above, many golfers would be better served with a 7W and a 9W, especially guys that swing a driver less than 85mph. Hybrids can be a solution but in my experience you still need decent speed to get gapping from hybrids, woods are easier.

If there is a good reputable proshop nearby, I would recommend going there. Generally speaking, I’ve found Golf Galaxy, Golf town, former Golf Smith, etc. lie/loft machines are not well calibrated. If workers are not that familiar with their LL machine, you will not get a correct reading.

Note: find the original specs to your iron set, print it out and take it with you.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

20 years ago we had trouble getting distance gaps in the 3 and 4 iron. Well now the 5 iron is the old 3 iron and we're in the same place as before, just now we have 2 extra wedges.

• Like 1

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

If you get good days and bad days with the Apex CF19 five iron, consider getting the shaft softstepped.

You would have the clubfitter insert a shaft tipped for 4i - this would increase the flexible portion of the shaft, and help improve launch. A single "softstep" would lighten the flex about 1/3 a flex.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

For me it's between 4i and 5i. Obviously I get more roll with the 4. For a guy who doesn't get along with hybrids, I usually game a GI type iron for my 4i. Sometimes it takes a shaft change as well. There are diff ways to fix the issue. Tinker with some clubs or see a fitter. I say bag the Rogue X.

I really enjoy hitting irons as opposed to hybrids. For me, the swing is different with a hybrid than with an iron and that means practicing with hybrids AND irons. I'd much rather get by with irons and perhaps a fairway wood or two and skip the hybrids altogether, but that would leave a big gap that could only be handled by swinging say a 5w at 70%. Somehow, that never works out.

My latest practices determined that I can get a 10 yard gap from the 6i to the 5i and that works for me, but I'll probably need something like a hybrid to fill in the gap to my 5w. Maybe even two hybrids.

I really need to get the lofts checked because I noticed that the PW in the Apex CF19 does not gap well with the 9i. I think I read something to this effect when the CF19's first came out. I think there is a 4.5* loft difference between the PW and 9i, but with my slow swing speed, there is more than 15 yard gap between the two. Maybe even a little more.

Is 10 yards the correct gapping to have between clubs?

@jjfcpa asked: Is 10 yards the correct gapping to have between clubs?
For years, 10 yards has been the suggested gap between numbered irons for the average male player. This assumed a 4* loft and 1/2" shaft length differences.
For some of the single-digit HDCP players I know, 12 yards is the gap because they hit the ball longer and have more clubhead speed.
Also, in recent years the strengthened lofts in irons have made for often 3* or less loft gaps between the longer irons, then move to 4* and 5* gaps as the clubs get shorter. So, the uneven loft gapping sometimes translate into uneven distance gaps within the set. For players who get upscale fittings, they normally get a follow-up fitting after they've played with the clubs or a month or so. The follow-up is used among other things to locate and smooth out unever distance gaps between clubs
Also, for several years fitters have been doing a gap analysis at the long end of the bag; They are looking for where irons should stop and hybrids/FWs should begin. Basically, they look for the point in your irons where the distance starts to converge. So, if you hit your 5i about 160 yards and your 4i about 162 - or 158... even less! - you might want to drop the 4i for a bridge club. This could be a hybrid or a high-lofted fairway wood, whichever the person hits best.
I would suggest that for most golfers, we want to have consistent distance gaps between our numbered irons, and consistent gaps between our wedges. Next we look at our driver distance, and try to fill in FWs and hybrids to bridge smoothly the distances between driver and lowest-numbered iron.So... go for yardage gaps you want, and try to keep the yardage gaps consistent between clubs.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

A few things. You mentioned you were fit for the Rogue, were you fit for the Apex as well? You seem to be a bit hung up on the fact that they aren’t making the Rogue X anymore. Lots of great irons that aren’t being made anymore played on tours.

That said, personally I’d stick with the apex if they are a reasonable fit for you because of the lofts. I find it hard to believe that the demographic the RogueX were marketed at can effectively play the 5 or even 6 iron effectively at 21 and 24 degrees respectively. Regardless of shorter shafts, these are the lofts that amateurs with slower swing speeds really struggle with. The whole point of the stronger lofted clubs is that they will generate more ball speed to go higher and despite the low spin be descending from a steep enough angle to stop quickly. Even well struck I’d be willing to bet even the 7 iron isn’t getting much height or stop as it’s actually a 5 iron. Also important to note that if you’re getting the gapping right (10 yards is fine for an amateur in long irons) how often are you getting it right? If you’re only hitting 1 or 2 out of 10 shots well with the 5 and the rest are miss hits dropping down to your 6 or 7 iron distances, I’d argue that club isn’t playing a very effective role in your bag.

I also challenge your assertion that hybrids require a different swing. I am the opposite with my 7 iron SS sitting at around 93mph but the last month I’ve been playing a 5-PW set (26 degree 5 iron in the 785 set) and then jumping to a 23* hybrid. I was only playing them as I was waiting on my two sets to be built and I didn’t have a shaft for my 4 iron so I put the hybrid in play. It was really nice. Although the head looks different the swing is identical to my long irons. The difference is a massive increase in forgiveness coupled with more spin/height - traits I believe are a positive for almost all golfers. Nearly every LPGA player uses a hybrid in place a 21/24/27 degree irons. No reason you couldn’t do it with 7/9/11 woods if you’re more comfortable with that look.