Kids training at age 7-9

MRx747

Hello all,

What are some good routines, due to school, my kids mostly only get to do golf on the weekends, we try to squeeze in some chipping and putting during the weeknights at home, but notice it might not be enough compare to some of the kids I see on IG.... guess my real question is.... how do these all pro kids do it? Do they go to school? Are there anything different they are doing?

Thanks in advise!

Would love to hear all about it for kids this age.

This^^^^^

Football/Soccer in the fall, Basketball in the Winter, Baseball in the Spring, Golf in the summer.

Playing a sport shouldn't be a job for a 7-9 year old and that is what it becomes if you put them in a routine at that age.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Most of the advice in golf you come across is useless to bad advice for any given person. Going down the path of everyone else is almost a sure way to never get better.

If you want your kid to get better have them practice, practice , practice after that have them play as much as possible and then figure out what is losing strokes in their games and then work on it. Then they have to want to practice it again until it doesn't happen.

You also asking how all these Pro kids on instagram do it. If there under 12 most of them are not really as good as they say are. They play easy courses do all the work for their kids and play endless practice rounds. All of which will hurt there kids in the long term.

When kids get older the best ones start to practice like crazy. Been told you must do at least 40-60 hours a week to make it. Sounds like a lot but that includes tournaments and even includes watching golf and reading books and not just on the range. The reality is they spend a lot time thinking about their game and have parents prepared to help them. Daughter is 13 and the kids who are not dedicated to golf is very evident as the courses and conditions they are forced to play in get much much harder. Once you factor in the money and time only the most dedicated kids do well even then some kids stop playing the minute they get away from their parents.

Jack Nicklaus started golf at age 10.

Greg Norman started golf at age 15.

KJ Choi started golf at age 13.

Calvin Peete started golf in his 20's.

YE Yang started golf at age 21.

There's more, but you get the point. Bottom line is your kids are kids only once. Have them play multiple sports (assuming they want to play sports). Build the athlete first and then the golfer not vice versa. The odds of going professional are infinitesimal. School/education is far more important. If they have the drive, the will, the desire to really pursue golf, then they will and the matter will sort itself out. If the drive doesn't come from within to pursue golf, then it just won't happen (college golf or becoming a pro). Those kids on IG practicing 7 days/week all year round will/may dominate from age 6-12, but the game changes once everyone hits puberty. Also, those kids are at much higher risk for repetitive stress injury (RSI) and burnout is real. All my opinion, your mileage may vary.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

My kid is 7 and goes to school. You as a parent must have a lot of free time though. That means you pick them up as soon as school is out (2-3pm) and head straight to the course, gym, and/or other sports everyday. I’m not saying you should follow this routine, I’m simply telling you how I do it since you asked on this forum. Is it good for the kids? Probably not. Does it work? Yes, because it’s easy to win at this age. 500 hours of training later your kid will be winning quite a lot and probably can finish top 20 at world events.

Internationally, I know a top 7 YO in Japan trains 3 hours a day at night and hit the course on weekends. A 7 YO Chinese kid flies overseas multiple times a year to take lessons/fitness train. A talented Australian kid’s dad owns a pro shop so he’s probably at the golf course everyday. And then you also have some kids that just love the game and are talented without much parental guidance. These are all top 3 finishers at world championships I’m talking about (IMG, FCG, USKG).

The kids that get stuff from OEM is a hit or miss, some are actually really really good, and some just social media famous. I suggest you look deeper at their tournament results and scores.

Finally, 7-9 doesn’t matter at all in the long run so don’t stress over it.

Do you even have kids who play golf????

Don’t care what age the kids are they have to practice and love golf. How much time is spent is entirely dependent on a lot factors. Some kids like adults actually enjoy playing a lot golf.

most kids never practice on their own and end up doing group lessons for 2 or 3 hours a week. That is not practice. To truly get better it takes more commitment.

Once they get older if they want to get really good they have to devote a lot time to golf. A lot kids practice an insane amount of time and end up doing very well in life.

Young kids don't know how to practice, and they shouldn't be forced into it too young. That is just as unsound an expectation as assigning copious amounts of math homework to 2nd and 3rd graders. Developmentally, young kids learn through play up until a certain age (approaching adulthood). Too much of any one thing is bad - there needs to be diversity in their routines or else you can see mood disorders and other unhealthy results. That means not doing golf 24/7.

These parents that push golf - excessive lessons, practice, and workouts at a very young age - skirt the boundaries of child abuse. Many of those adults are doing these things for their own aggrandizement. Don't expose your kid to this toxic crap. There isn't a child psychologist out there who will tell you it is okay for a kid to do some of the things you see these sports parents pushing them into. It's disgusting.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Played as kids, one pretty damn good, the other a tennis player as her main sport, play as now terrific young adults and enjoy (one flat out loves) the game. And whatever level they reached or will in the future, that’s the main thing.

And your advice is pretty easy to understand and couldn’t be more wrong.

Getting out of this one - OP, enjoy your kids and give yourself license to be one, too. And get off Instagram and Tweeter and anywhere else that is giving you the wrong message!

At 7-9 speaking of a kid who has a 9 year old practice as much as they want to. When my kid was 7 we went out once - twice a week when the girls winning were out 5/6 times a week. You can only balance so much. Their success at 7 means nothing long term so get out there when you can and have fun with your kid. My kid practices about 3 times a week and play once a week but this nonsense about needing 40-60 hours is crazy talk. In the younger age groups there are going to be kids practice more than anyone else and probably will be better but that's all they do. In our house my kid plays softball, basketball, soccer and then add golf and other things not enough time to spend 6 days a week at a course. Those things take time away from golf but again she 9. Just get out there as much as you want even if its only two days and have fun.

Kids that age should be doing lots of different sports and activities for FUN. If it is enjoyable, the benefits of increased athleticism and development of a competitive spirit will accrue without effort.

There are a tiny percentage of kids who really love golf at a young age and can dedicate themselves to it and play/practice without limit (again effortless). It is FUN to them, and they don’t need parents to tell them to practice - they do it on their own. Despite what some on this forum say (“doesn’t matter before X years of age”, etc etc) they do end up usually becoming top players - good enough to play in college at a high level.

There’s some debate as to which sports/activities are best for golf development and which should be avoided. The mechanics of the hockey slap shot are quite similar to the golf swing, and there seems to be a lot a cross over success. The baseball swing is quite risky (too flat plane/path) if you bat the same side as the golf swing and want to develop a really high level golfer. Lacrosse players seems to develop an early release which can be detrimental to golf. Of course there are exceptions, but a lot of this holds true for the vast majority.

1) No one gives two craps about their results at 7-9 in 10 years. Get over the instagram-esque garbage that it matters. Putting it on the back of your car or on some inflated social media account does not matter.

2) Don't try to keep up with the Jones's in equipment. Get a set of clubs that are good and let your kid learn how to play golf. You have plenty of time at 10+ to drop money on clubs trust me.

3) They are 7-9 years of age you let them practice when they WANT to practice. Your main job at that age is to help them love the game. Keep the drills fun and develop good habits of how to play golf (pace of play, routine, etc)

4) Keep them active and involved in things other than golf. This does not mean signing them up for 4 sports and having practices every day as that can be detrimental too. Playing in the back yard does the job just fine.

There isn't a set formula at this age or everyone would be doing it. A lot of good advice above:

Keep it funLet your kid have other interests. My son's new obsession is fishing so golf has taken a back seat.Don't force it. These days, my son knows we are hitting balls 3-4 times a week so he finished his homework and get's ready for the range. Create a routinePractice with purposeFor my son, I think he needs a bit of mental help. Lately we are going out and playing against kids who he used to stomp on consistently. Now we are seeing a lot of mediocre kids who have gotten a lot better, but it is a lot easier to go from shooting low 40's to a few under par than it is to start shooting under par and take it crazy low.

I love engaging with people about youth sports. I used to coach college basketball for nearly 10 years. Love hearing the parents that say little Johnny is going D1 in this sport or that sport, and then you quickly find out he's only 10 years old and would need to win the genetic lottery since his parents are both under 6 feet tall( yes I know, it can be done). Basketball might be up there or supersedes golf and baseball. Basketball has the same problem with the IG videos or the YouTube, you see all these 7-10 year olds or whatever youngsters doing all this drill work, and handling the ball and what not, but at the end of the day, a ranking of a child that age, who has yet to hit puberty is very troubling. It might appeal to many kids and parents to say that little Billy is ranked __ in the state/country. But at the end of the day, what they do in high school will be the tell tale sign of what they can potentially accomplish.

I for one hate watching these kids swings, and the trick shot videos! Like one poster said, they are showing you what they want you to see! Same with the other sports "highlights" or "mixtapes".

I have a 4.5 year old son, who literally from the second we wake up in the morning is wanting to play basketball(granted little tykes 6' hoop), hit baseballs(t-ball) or hit golf balls in the garage. Then will want to work out in the garage afterwards. This is all him, he wants to do it, I as his father, will always support what he wants to do. If this continues, I will support and help him achieve whatever he wants to do. I love he wants to do sports, and wants to be active and constantly do things. I have thought of the plan that I could put in place for different sports, in which I have already have and continue to give him the fundamentals of each and every sport that he enjoys. As his father, who has the deeper understanding of the percentages, and the ins and outs of college athletics from a player and coaches standpoint, I will always allow him to do what he wants, and if that day comes and he says, " Dad, I want to focus on ____ sport and try to get a scholarship." You know damn well we are going to work our asses off for this to become a reality, but also, if he came to me and says, "Dad I don't want to play sports." Id be okay with that as well. But at the end of the day, we as parents need to really focus on what we need focus on, and that is as parents, focus on making sure they are good people, and they take care of their academics as best as they can, because like the NCAA Cliche slogan, "Well go pro in something other than sports" truly means something and bears a ton of weight!

I can go on and on about this subject and have a passion for sports and education. But at the end of the day, these kids that are ranked, I'd love to see them as adults, and where they are at when that time comes!

TaylorMade M5 9* Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5 
TaylorMade M6 3w Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5
Taylormade P790 UDI Hzrdus Smoke 106.5g 6.5
TaylorMade P760 KBS C-Taper 4-AW X-Stiff +1/2"
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 52* 
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 56*
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 60*
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron[/color] Newport 2 35"

I for one hate watching these kids swings, and the trick shot videos! Like one poster said, they are showing you what they want you to see! Same with the other sports "highlights" or "mixtapes".This is a lot of what their coaches will post as well. I've never once seen a bad swing on IG.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.