Played a Round with One Club

Sean2 ·  
Sean2Sean2 Members  32465WRX Points: 2,447Posts: 32,465 Titanium Tees

I broke a bone in my back around Thanksgiving, and was recently given the go ahead to start swinging a club...no woods, and 3/4 max. I was itching to get back out on the golf course. My home course has temporary greens and tees, so I took a 7-iron and played 18 (I played the longer holes from the forward tees). It took me 1 hour and 46 minutes, and I played two balls on the front 9.

I figured if I play with one club all the time, I could afford to purchase a new set every year, and lose fewer golf balls to boot, lol.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Comments

• bortassbortass ATLMembers  1466WRX Points: 142Posts: 1,466 Platinum Tees

Glad to hear you’re able to start back up.

How did it go? Just wondering if there was anything interesting you noticed from the experience.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29446WRX Points: 2,369Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,446 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Driver w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 3 wood w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Hybrid Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29446WRX Points: 2,369Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,446 Titanium Tees

duplicate

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Driver w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 3 wood w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Hybrid Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32465WRX Points: 2,447Posts: 32,465 Titanium Tees

Thank you. It went well. I shot 4 over.* The challenging part was determining how hard to hit a shot that didn't require a full swing, including factoring in a very wet golf course.

*There was some luck involved. For example, I made a couple of birdies chipping over some rough terrain (temp greens), and the fact they rolled in was dumb luck. The temp tee for the par 5 was waayyy up, and I ended up with an eagle on that hole.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

And all that is what makes it interesting and fun. :-)

Posted:

I have read the same thing Paddy. One story I read is he shot a 68 with just a 5-iron. That is how good those guys are.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • driverwedgedriverwedge If you swing hard and miss, it hurts a bit. Members  3875WRX Points: 151Posts: 3,875 Titanium Tees

Glad to hear you're doing better Sean!

Posted:
    Adams 9064LS 8.5*/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
    Adams Super LS Black 18*/ Redboard 83x
    Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x Or
    MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
    MP T5 Black Ion 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny
    Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
    All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
    WITB Link
    Posted:

• kev_285kev_285 Members  16WRX Points: 29Handicap: n/aPosts: 16 Bunkers

Back when I was a teen intent on getting down to scratch my friend and myself did this regularly with different clubs from 3 iron to wedge

It teaches you loads about touch and feel and assuring you that golf isn't as some intensely focus on which is technical technical and more technical it's feel feel feel

You teach yourself loads closing club face down on a short iron to hit it lower and further or opening up a long iron to chip over and obstacle. Or having a bunker right between you and hole and then using a 3 or 4 iron to pitch into face of bunker for it to pop out over it or literally run the shot through the bunker to get to the green

Biggest bit of fun is not having to choose the right club

Posted:

@kev_285 or carrying a bag! :-)

Posted:

• kev_285kev_285 Members  16WRX Points: 29Handicap: n/aPosts: 16 Bunkers

That is true :)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  293WRX Points: 175Posts: 293 Greens

I used to enjoy walking and playing with one club, a lot. It was so easy to get lost in daydreams and it felt like the kind of ‘free’ kids have on summer break. Now, I prefer having a whole bag of trouble while riding around like an old guy on vacation.

Posted:
    Posted:

• pdl16pdl16 Unregistered  79WRX Points: 30Posts: 79 Fairways

I was once beaten (twice) by the assistant pro and his 5 iron over 9 holes😢

Posted:
  • LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

Nice going! Taking no prisoners and standing up to the game no matter what.

Posted:
  • REJREJ Members  139WRX Points: 77Handicap: Too HighPosts: 139 Fairways

No putter?

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:

• 1mcozik1mcozik Members  40WRX Points: 25Posts: 40 Bunkers

In one of my old golf groups, we use to play game where the winner of a hole gets to determine which club someone can't use for the rest of the round but at a minimum you have to have one club. Gets pretty interesting when you only have a putter on a par 5.......

Posted:
  • caeye0710caeye0710 Members  133WRX Points: 70Handicap: .5Posts: 133 Fairways

I played an entire 18 holes with a 7 iron. Parred the backside. I never miss the seven.

Just kidding on the even par. Believe I shot around 80ish, give or take.

Posted:
    M5 Tour Issuse 10.5* - Tour AD DI 7x
    Cally Mavrik 15* - Rogue White 130 70x 
    TM SIM Max 19* - Proforce V2 85x
    Miura MB-101 4-PW - Tour Issue S400
    TM MG2 Chrome 50, 54, 60
    TM Spider Black 34"
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  540WRX Points: 256Posts: 540 Golden Tee

We originally played it as you do, but in one particular instance two players were down to just their putters. Both putters ended up with bent hosels at the end of the round. So the game was modified thereafter.

Posted:
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members  1619WRX Points: 179Handicap: 6Posts: 1,619 Platinum Tees

Nice to hear others doing this too. We do it every year with only a 7 iron. Going on 20 years now. Always a fun day.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members  2660WRX Points: 219Posts: 2,660 Titanium Tees

Seve, Trevino, Faldo, Aoki ONE CLUB CHALLENGE at St. Andrews - 5 Iron.

Posted:
    Post edited by theothertwo on

Honma TW 727 460 10.5* - 45.5"

Honma TW 727 5 Wood 18* - 42.25"

Srixon H45 Hybrid 22* - 39.75"

Titleist 818H1 Hybrid 25* - 39"

Honma TW 737V Irons 10 to 5 - 35.75" to 38.25” (Loft 46* to 25*)

Honma TW - W Wedges - 50* and 56* - 35"

Miura KM 005 1957 Putter - 34"

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1191WRX Points: 368Posts: 1,191 Platinum Tees

before I am accused of the downfall of golf decorum, let me say that 'm not proud of this :. we used to have the 6 iron shootout where each participant use only a six iron and had one case of beer . Each beer consumed after 9 holes took one stroke of your front 9, Each beer remaining in the cart after 18 holes added a stroke to your back.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1111WRX Points: 186Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,111 Platinum Tees

Love this! Done the same. Feels unencumbered and used the iron as a walking stick at times. Started off with one ball and had to walk back to get more the first time I did this, but always stuff a couple now. Par 3s are great with PW.

Great concept. Takes longer to play, but I feel less tired not having lugged a bag around.

Posted:
  • ROOK16ROOK16 Members  55WRX Points: 45Handicap: ~12Posts: 55 Bunkers
    Posted:

Exactly. One club, a couple balls in your pocket...and off you go! :-)

Posted:

Advertisement

Hmmm...that must have made for some interesting scoring, lol.

Posted:

• OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers  1489WRX Points: 344Handicap: $$Posts: 1,489 Platinum Tees

I believe there's also another video where they used a 2 or 3 iron only.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.