What's your most enjoyable form of golf?

Comments

• Brunchz0rBrunchz0r DenmarkMembers  19WRX Points: 17Handicap: 3.8Posts: 19 Bunkers

Love stroke play, it's my strength. Love that feeling of control and decision making even if it means chipping sideways.

Although I think i'm pretty cool under pressure. I always seems to get surprised in match play, so that's also great fun.

Posted:

Cobra King F9 - Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Ping i20 3w / hy - Project X black 6.0
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 - DG AMT S300
    Mizuno T7 60 / 56 / 51 - S300
    Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members  3446WRX Points: 142Handicap: 3.3Posts: 3,446 Titanium Tees

Stroke and match are the two I enjoy the most

Posted:
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, GD Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 33.25" with Scotty Custom Black Pistolero grip, Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up blacked out Pingman Grip
    Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3633WRX Points: 206Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,633 ClubWRX

The most enjoyable golf for me is when I play a course that requires me to use a majority of clubs in my bag.

Posted:
    Tourstage 9* Graphite Design MJ
    Callaway Subzero 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Taylormade sldr 2 hybrid 19* 
    Callaway 3 iron C taper 110
    Bridgestone Tour B XCB 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 52/58  C taper 110
    Titleist Fast back
    Taylormade Tourpreffered X
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1213WRX Points: 292Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,213 Platinum Tees

Any format that doesn't have rules that are too complex. Also strongly prefer team formats where I get to play my own ball for the entirety of the round.

That said, I really don't care for scrambles anymore. With the exception of my company's yearly golf tournament, I try to avoid scrambles. Only reason I jump on the company tournament is because it's a free day off of work.

If I had to pick a format where I don't get to play my own ball through the round, I kinda like alternate shot - especially if my partner is a higher handicapper. We did one at my club last year. I'm a 7, the guy they paired me with was a 24. It was actually kinda fun being the guy who had to pull us out of trouble with a few hero shots.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2092WRX Points: 796Posts: 2,092 Platinum Tees

Match play. Team and individual versus individual with a switch of opponent and teams after nine. Ex. A,B,C,and D playing 18 holes. A and B play C and D first nine while simultaneously A plays against C and B against D. Back nine you change teams and draw again for who plays against who. You might even be playing against your team mate which makes things interesting.

Big groups of mixed talents (bachelor parties or guys trips) russian stablefords with A players paired with B players, don't use zero with this scoring so you always get points on a hole. Doubles and worse are 1 point in other words. Change teams and buy drinks at the turn.

Posted:
  • mantanmantan Members  2670WRX Points: 249Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,670 Titanium Tees

I'm a big fan of team match play as well. I love the match play in general for all the reasons stated above. But I also like the team aspect of it. 99% of golf is a solo game played with others. It's fun to have the camaraderie, encouraging each other, picking up your teammate on a bad hole and vice versa. The team match play, Ryder Cup and 4 ball competitions against other clubs are by far my favorite events.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 1/17/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G400 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Advertisement
  • RoejyeRoejye Members  41WRX Points: 25Posts: 41 Bunkers

I don't play competitively, I just go out by myself or with my dad and play, so technically stroke play. Have a friend that is somewhat interested in taking up golf, so hopefully I can play some rounds with him this year.

Posted:
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers  299WRX Points: 290Handicap: 13Posts: 299 Greens

I love match play even though I have a horrible record. Been playing in a league for 5 years now, knocked out in the 1st round the past four seasons in a row.

Posted:

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & SM7 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood
    Currently suffering Off Seasonal Golf Deficiency Disorder

• NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers  1592WRX Points: 183Handicap: 15.9Posts: 1,592 Platinum Tees

For $$ competition (which I rarely do anymore), match play. Most enjoyable is stroke play with myself and a friend or my grandson playing against the course. I learned over the years to never play competition with golfers much better or worse than me.

Posted:
  • lchanglchang Members  747WRX Points: 187Handicap: 11Posts: 747 Golden Tee

Casual team match play “6-6-6” is the best for needling, fun trash talk among friends. (It’s AB against CD for 6 holes. Then AC vs BD. Then AD vs. BC.)

”Nice shot. Where the **** was that an hour ago?”

”I think that ball went OB. It’s ok. You’ve got two more holes to warm up and then start trying.”

”Don’t worry about it. We’ll get them on these next two holes. ... After that, of course, I hope your game falls apart.”

Posted:
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3665WRX Points: 588Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,665 Titanium Tees

Match play. We usually do 10/10/10. 10$ front nine, 10$ back nine, 10$ overall

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    Evnroll ER1TS

Advertisement
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers  5630WRX Points: 267Posts: 5,630 Titanium Tees

Captains choice tourneys with my normal crew. Love being out there with them in general, and love being able to try shots and angles you'd never take normally.

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper
    Toulon Atlanta
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4897WRX Points: 622Posts: 4,897 Titanium Tees

My favorite form of golf is a casual round with my wife.

Posted:
  • naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers  1020WRX Points: 125Handicap: 7Posts: 1,020 Platinum Tees

I love medal play tournaments. 9, 18, 36 holes or whatever. I only play on Saturday but long summer days we play a summer fedex cup format ranking and it’s 9 on Thursdays and Sundays and 18 on Saturdays. As I live in a small city near my course I try not to miss one day.

Fourball match play is my second favourite. I’ve been playing the Annual championship with my best friend for 8 years now and it’s the most fun I get on the course.

Posted:
  • weil2020weil2020 Members  13WRX Points: 10Posts: 13 Bunkers

Medal, absolutely

Posted:
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint LouisMembers  286WRX Points: 64Handicap: 12Posts: 286 Greens

Shamble is awesome.

I play in a local charity tournament in STL with some guys from work that is a shamble.

I like it because its like your playing your own round (outside of the drive) but its still the team aspect and having fun for a good cause too.

I have no problems with scrambles (i'll play any type of golf haha) but feel like you come away from that with a sense that you played better than you really might have. "O i hit one from 100 yards out within 5 feet of the pin"...well ya but you played Bobs ball and your drive went into the woods lol.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • lchanglchang Members  747WRX Points: 187Handicap: 11Posts: 747 Golden Tee

Yes. And even the good shots you hit in a scramble are “artificial” in that there was no pressure. (And the lie might be artificially good too)

Posted:
  • MOABMOAB Members  77WRX Points: 63Posts: 77 Fairways

Medal

Posted:
  • RealNickGRealNickG Members  31WRX Points: 21Handicap: +2Posts: 31 Bunkers

For pure fun, Texas Scramble.

For pure competition, Match Play

Posted:
  • ballpilotballpilot Members  79WRX Points: 45Posts: 79 Fairways

Early morning fall play, cotton cardigan, traditional layout, leather grips, old blades, and 5 minutes removed from a hot cup of coffee in the pro shop. There is no substitute.

Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  4984WRX Points: 901Posts: 4,984 ClubWRX

I prefer Match play and prefer Best Ball.

Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303

Advertisement
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  360WRX Points: 202Posts: 360 Greens

I enjoyed Wolf the one time I played it, but I don't remember much about it. I like match play, but I can never get any of my friends to play it. My scores tend to suffer much more from blowup holes. Maybe that's why.

Posted:
  • J_carpJ_carp Members  77WRX Points: 57Handicap: 1Posts: 77 Fairways

5 man wolf game with my buddies... any other game just doesn’t compare at this point

Posted:
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members  1256WRX Points: 233Handicap: 10Posts: 1,256 Platinum Tees

Four ball for a little money with enjoyable companions.

Posted:
    Driver M4
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3569WRX Points: 245Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,569 Titanium Tees

OCD (6/6/6) best ball match play with some fun side bets mixed in is my go to.

We recently mixed in playing wolf, but only on par 3's and that makes for a good side bet, especially if the par 3's are spread out throughout the round and the bets are for beers.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5552WRX Points: 524Posts: 5,552 Titanium Tees
    1. First off on a cool crisp clear morning with some dew still on the ground. By myself or with close friends.
    2. A quick 9 holes at super twilight, trying to beat the sun.
    3. match play
    4. charity scrambles; most people cheat but it's still fun.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Advertisement
  • kozubskozubs Members  303WRX Points: 98Handicap: 5Posts: 303 Greens

Our course does a modified shamble every spring that I just love.

Everyone tees off and the best drive is picked. The person who hit the drive plays their own ball from there. The other 3 play scramble from there and the 2 scores are combined. Typically, as the lowest handicap, the others want to use my drive even if it's not the best so I'm playing alone while they help each other as a scramble. I love the pressure of it even though its just a fun tournament to meet people.

Usually you have to use 2 drives from each player. Some guys get really nervous but they always seem to step up.

Posted:
  • RI2GARI2GA Members  7WRX Points: 6Posts: 7 Bunkers

5 man wolf - but gotta be on a course that appreciates risk reward and ok with 5some.

Posted:
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4897WRX Points: 622Posts: 4,897 Titanium Tees

I used to play a whole lot of 5 man wolf. At least 2-3 times a week with 2 different groups. Had a ton of fun doing it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members  1558WRX Points: 444Posts: 1,558 Platinum Tees

"hit-and-giggle" with a few buddies, drinking cold beer on a warm day.

However, I have really enjoyed skins and will probably be competing in match-play for my club this year. But, my work is high-stress and golf is best used as a relaxing outlet for me.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
    Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
    A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.