Epic Flash 12° vs XR16 Driver

cellywratt ·  
cellywrattcellywratt Members  62WRX Points: 39Posts: 62 Bunkers

Hey guys,

I'm considering upgrading my son's XR16 to an Epic Flash 12° as they're on sale at the moment through Callaway. Hes 8 and hits the ball fairly long with the XR16, I wonder if anyone has done the same and seen any decent improvements? He's currently gaming a Flynn shaft at 36' and club set at 14.5°.

Any assistance would be great!

Thanks

Marcel

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 378Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee

My son just went from the XR16 to the Cobra F8. We tried the Epic but his dispersion was a bit sketchy compared to the F8 so we went with it. We saw marked improvements in distance with both. The XR16 is a great head for youth using an adult head; however, once they get some strength I truly think the light weight of the XR16 is a detriment. He is 10 years old and 59" in height for comparison.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • cellywrattcellywratt Members  62WRX Points: 39Posts: 62 Bunkers

So what you're saying is I should get him an older driver right? hahaha.

Posted:

Interesting to know about the F8, did you go with the Junior version or mens version? The junior one is so so cheap at the moment ($100US), I did think about going for the F9 but they are still well overpriced. The Epic flash for comparison is about $220USD, and here in New Zealand they retail for about $620US so its a massive difference. I might see if I can get some numbers over the weekend with an Epic flash at the range, then at least I can compare the XR with it head to head.

Posted:
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 378Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee

My son is 10 and fairly strong so we went for the women's version which is a base 12.5 degree. You can get the women's brand new for $150.

Posted:
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members  278WRX Points: 113Posts: 278 Greens

Consider upgrading the shaft as well. Those Flynn shafts tend to be a little whippy imo.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members  273WRX Points: 167Posts: 273 Greens

I believe the women’s version (12.5) is the Junior version (also 12.5) but in men’s color scheme. We just got a SpeedZone Jr. and it’s better than the F8 Jr. that we have been using for the past year. My kid doesn’t hit the SZ any farther, but his off center strikes has much better outcome. Dispersion is also much tighter. I looked through our Flightscope numbers to make sure.

Posted:

Starting to see that a bit now that he's gained some speed I think. I have a Recoil ES 440 F1 to trial so may get that fit sooner rather than later!

Posted:

Pop that in there RIGHT NOW. My kid switched from Flynn to Recoil to Grand Bassara at age 6 and saw a difference. Not so much difference between the Recoil and GB though. Save your money and just use the Recoil.

Posted:

The Flynn shaft has definitely been great so far! Have only heard good things about the Recoil so I'm interested to see how it goes. Upgrading the shaft in his Heavenwood to a Diamana M+40 as well after he snapped the last one 😂

Posted:
  • hangontighthangontight Members  715WRX Points: 173Posts: 715 Golden Tee

Second the recoil. Went through the whole driver trial and error routine in 2018 (son was 7 then) . Recoil was clearly a better option over two different Flynn’s we tried. XR 16 13.5.

Posted:

Advertisement

Looks like I'm off to see the pro tomorrow! 😁😁

Posted:

@cellywratt Don't sleep on the good ole' Aldilia NV Ladies flex either. It came in my son's F8 and has been wonderful.

Posted:

I think you are correct. The black and turquoise women's scheme looks amazing though! :)

Posted:
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members  459WRX Points: 174Posts: 459 Greens

My daughter has the Cobra F9 junior driver and she likes it. I took out the junior shaft from Cobra and put in the stock shaft that comes with the ladies version of the F9. It is an Atmos shaft and she does great with it. I found it on ebay with the cobra adapter already on it so I just needed to cut it down for her. I was told by a fitter at Sea Island that when she got to 75-80mph swing speed that I needed to go to a senior shaft.

Posted:

Was told the same thing about my son's shafts that when he picks up about 5-7 more mph I will need to look at shifting over to the senior stuff.

Posted:

Advertisement

From memory with the Cobra Junior drivers they also come with a free shaft upgrade correct?

May buy one to have a test, should have decent resale value anyway.

Posted:

Yes, you get one free shaft upgrade from Cobra.

The current trade in value for Jr F9 is $90, and $70 for the Jr F8. I think you can get a little more on eBay.

The newest Cobra Jr SpeedZone is pretty awesome, much more forgiving than the F8, but distance wise it is about the same.

Posted:

Just an update, I pulled the trigger on an Epic flash 12 degree from Callaway preowned. Found one with a Recoil es 440 F1 as well. Ended up costing $239.99US which works out about half the price I could get one here in New Zealand at retail.

Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1719WRX Points: 1,039Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,719 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Lets hope so! Also got a recoil fitted into his current XR16 yesterday so hoping to get out and give it a test today!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • hangontighthangontight Members  715WRX Points: 173Posts: 715 Golden Tee

@cellywratt , how is this going?

Posted:
  • DaddyCaddieIUDaddyCaddieIU Members  83WRX Points: 36Posts: 83 Fairways

Has anyone tested the Ping Prodi G vs any other popular OEM combinations or the US KIDS TOUR SERIES?

I have a Tour Series 51 vs XR 16 testing going on currently, but daughter says the XR 16 recoil setup is still a little heavy! (its also February in Indiana)

Posted:

Haven't put the Epic flash in the bag yet. Have got a deal with my son that he gets a new driver when he can break 90 from the men's tees at our club, he came close with a 92 yesterday! 😂

We've got the recoil now in his XR16 and he's getting the hang of it now. Unsure if it's added distance because it's too dry here at the moment and there's way too much roll. Definitely improved dispersion and has a much better trajectory now.

Posted:
  • MB19MB19 Members  33WRX Points: 18Posts: 33 Bunkers

I'm also interested in Ping Prodi G vs US KIds Tour/Flynn Alto driver/woods/hybrids/irons.

Both of my kids just hit a growth spurt, so the older one may be in line for another set of irons.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.