2020 Golf spending bet with my GF

2»

Comments

• TigerDocTigerDoc Members  76WRX Points: 74Posts: 76 Fairways

Ouch. I would just pay her the money and let my inner golf ho out.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4276WRX Points: 751Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees

Cue the disturbed song of the same name.... down with the sickness... haha

Posted:
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1864WRX Points: 383Posts: 1,864 Platinum Tees

Just leave new clubs at your other girlfiend's place

Posted:
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1213WRX Points: 292Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,213 Platinum Tees

After reading this I am starting to think something might be wrong with me because I don't change clubs that often. I've had my current set of irons for 5+ years now. My set before that I had for 10 years.

I did just buy a new 60 degree Jaws wedge a couple months ago though. But that was only because my previous one was coming up on 5 years old, and the grooves were worn.

I tend to spend my golf money on things in the "other" category. Namely, fun golf trips, motorized push cart, etc.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1592WRX Points: 803Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,592 Platinum Tees

Think I'd need a season ending injury. I borderline enjoy tinkering with clubs as much as playing the game itself...

Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

• GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members  1846WRX Points: 281Posts: 1,846 Platinum Tees

Start buying watches. She’ll be so focused on how much you spend there that she’ll pay you a grand to go back to buying clubs.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FlorisFloris Members  475WRX Points: 39Handicap: 5.2 (EURO)Posts: 475 Greens

The newest club in the bag is my driver. That's the only club less then a year old. Next is a putter, about two years old and the rest is about three years old I'd guess.

For me it's simply not making the budget. I spend on greenfees, lessons, shoes (I have just 7 pairs I use now) and balls mostly. Oh and a trip this year too!

Now I am looking, but we're saving for other stuff (retirement, paying off the house and such). Also: getting lessons helps me more then new clubs, so I'd rather get myself a couple lessons to improve. Having said that: I'm having a real hard time not buying stuff, I love new stuff, I want new stuff! But I also want to have money for retirement, to pay less for the mortgage and I have the mindset to make that work I guess.

Posted:
    Callaway XR Speed (9º, NS setting) | Oban white | MCC4 Plus Align midsize
    Callaway XR 3deep (14°) | Project X LZ HM | MCC4 Plus Align midsize
    Callaway GBB 815 5wood (18º, weight forward, NS setting) | Fujikura Speeder 665 | MCC4 Plus Align midsize
    PING i E1 4-PW | True Temper XP95 | MCC4 Plus Align midsize
    PING Glide 50ºSS, 54ºSS, 58ºSS | True Temper XP95 | MCC4 Plus Align midsize
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB / Bettinardi BB32 with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CB
    VICE Pro Plus / Titleist ProV1x
    Arccos 360
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5796WRX Points: 3,152Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,796 Titanium Tees

Golf purchase(s) diversion action checklist:

Purchase and wear a GIANT Invicta watch, no matter how much it hurts or how stupid it looks.

From her: "where on earth did you get that?"

Your reply: "I've had it for a while."

Start watching TV shows featuring Richard Rawlings.

From her: "why are you watching that?"

Your reply should just be a mumble "Richard Rawlings, new golf club, fast cars."

Cook dinner for her.

From her: "you're cooking dinner?"

Your reply: "cooking up a storm, baby"

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1062WRX Points: 705Handicap: 12Posts: 1,062 Platinum Tees

Funny story. I live in a studio apartment with a longtime gf. She does NOT like me buying clubs... But she knows nothing about golf. She knows I have drivers, 'almost drivers' (fw), 'heavy crooked ones' (irons), and putters.

So I have the clubs in my sig, which replaced a set of Apex Edge Pro's. The blades live at the club, the edge pro's in our closet at home. So one day I see a set of Apex PC's on Craigslist and being sort of a collector, I buy them. I box up the edge pro's and put the PC's in the bag in the closet.

Gf is in looking around in the closet somewhere and hollers 'Hey did you buy new clubs again?!? These look different I thought'

I say 'Huh? They say Hogan on them don't they?' (she knows I like Hogan)

"Oh yeah they are Hogans... I guess I thought wrong!"

So there you go. It's not that hard!

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members  1846WRX Points: 281Posts: 1,846 Platinum Tees

Lol, I wasn’t trying to break them up. I’m pretty sure a GIANT Invicta watch will end any self respecting relationship.

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13539WRX Points: 2,407Handicap: 1.6Posts: 13,539 Titanium Tees

I smell trouble

you gotta buy what you want when you want

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* VTS Red 100Hx
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6 - PW UST 95 Recoil
    Ping Glide SS 50* & 54* wrx 110 Recoil
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil 
    Piretti Matera Elite 

Advertisement
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1486WRX Points: 747Posts: 1,486 Platinum Tees

Start drinking and gambling heavy. Sell the cat, pawn the silverware..after you explain you're substituting one habit/hobby for another, she'll be buying you new clubs in no time.

Posted:
  • LobbyLobby Members  41WRX Points: 49Posts: 41 Bunkers

Watch videos on YouTube comparing this year’s clubs to 5 year old models.

You’ll quickly find that the newer club isn’t really any better than the old one.

this could be a permanent cure, tho

Posted:
  • RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members  116WRX Points: 97Handicap: between my earsPosts: 116 Fairways

I think only A WIFE has jurisdiction over YOUR spending. Unless you have kids with this nice young lady, I'd say make a "power-move" and buy whatever you want and never pay up because it's your paycheck (unless it's not, of course!). I say that being married for 10 years with three kids, so my spending $100 a month on golf gear I don't need has a REAL effect on my family's well-being...haha. New wedge or groceries?? It's a tougher decision than it should be sometimes.

Posted:

WHS Index: ~3
    -WITB-
    Cobra F7+ 8* w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g - tipped 1"
    Ping G410 Crossover 2i w/ DG SL105 X
    Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    Cleveland RTX 4; 50-mid, 54-mid, 58-mid w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    Bridgestone Tour B X
    Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11591WRX Points: 477Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,591 Titanium Tees

Why does a GIRLFRIEND have any say in what you spend?

Posted:
  • mpf08796mpf08796 Members  178WRX Points: 58Handicap: 10Posts: 178 Fairways

Do what I do. Just get clubs that look roughly the same color. It seems to be working so far

Posted:
    Mizuno ST 190 G 
    Callaway Epic 3 wood +
    Mizuno MP 20 MB 2 iron
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-pw
    Mizuno S18 50
    Callaway MD4 54, 60
    Metal X Milled Versa #1

Advertisement
  • hack2489hack2489 Members  321WRX Points: 60Handicap: 13.1Posts: 321 Greens

Mate, you seriously have to learn to have multiple hobbies.

Between new surfboards, fins, wetsuits and the new fishing reels, rods, tackle etc my golfing needs are nothing.

The latest discussion here was around a new boat. You think golf gear is expensive. They don't say boat is an acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand for no reason!

You seriously need to reset the expectations and parameters!

Oh, and if as your GF she's like this, you can rest assured married life will be a lot tougher on your fiscal freedom.

Posted:
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1369WRX Points: 816Handicap: 11.1Posts: 1,369 Platinum Tees

Get a rubber band and wear on the opposite wrist of your Rolex, pull it as hard as you can and just let it go every time you start itching for a new setup.

works with smoking too.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0         Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood        whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0         Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                            Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                          DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                          DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                        Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                   ball
    Kirkland sig                                       glove 
    FJ rain glove                                     glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members  301WRX Points: 207Posts: 301 Greens

You’ve come to this challenge at a perfect time. Now, more than ever, you tubers are calling bull on manufacturers new products. Just go watch Crossfield, Shiels, etc do club tests and see that there is Zero gain. That being said I buy golf clubs based on pure **** appeal. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Posted:
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • Nwright4Nwright4 Members  136WRX Points: 60Posts: 136 Fairways

Sadly, I have not bought clubs in 15 years. I only have changed wedges every few years depending on wear. I do not get caught up in all the gear. I honestly believe the only thing holding me back slightly is the forgiveness on my driver and woods and new irons would spin a bit more. Nothing else has really changed all that much to warrant an upgrade. I tend to laugh at people that change clubs every year chasing a fix. When something is off I usually go in search of a swing thought or feel instead of a new club etc.

Posted:
  • C6 SnowboarderC6 Snowboarder Members  123WRX Points: 63Handicap: 6.6Posts: 123 Fairways

Also single so no bets here in this house.

I also play in about 50 tournaments a year and any winnings are proshop credit $$$ - so I have not actually bought anything in a long time. Playing Mizuno MP-20 MB thanks to a few wins. And before one of you say sandbagger -- most of that was Gross wins.😉

Posted:

14 Clubs - Good ones

Advertisement
  • LowCutLowCut Members  42WRX Points: 20Handicap: 8Posts: 42 Bunkers

Play more and shut down your account on here for a year! Good luck

Posted:

Titleist TS3 10.5* - Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

SIM Max 14* - UST Proforce V2 8F5

Srixon Z U85 20* - DG x100 120

Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW - KBS C-Taper 130X

Titleist SM7 54*10/S, 58*8/M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135X

Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M

• MychMych Members  2140WRX Points: 382Posts: 2,140 Platinum Tees

Pick up a meth habit. No more worries about golf or how much you're spending on it.

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL wedges ~ Nike MC-05W putter w/ Gravity Grip
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-05W putter ~ Silo Club Carrier

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.