2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Forged Alternative to G410 Irons Needed

volrus

Well, I really wanted to love the Ping G410 irons, but they just aren’t for me it seems. I’ve had them a few months and played a few rounds with them and have been using them this winter on my simulator, but I just don’t care for them. I got them because I was looking for an iron that could get me a little more forgiveness while maintaining a smaller profile like what I’m used to. Problem is I’ve always played forged irons (mostly Mizuno) and I just can’t get used to the cast iron feel.

Anyway, any forged alternatives I should look into? How much harder would the P790 be to hit? The JPX Forged? The new Cobra King Forged Tec? I’m an 8 handicap, last irons used were Mizzy mp53.

I've played many models of forged carbon steel plated clubs and cast stainless steel clubs.

I have no preference between the two, but beyond that, I honestly don't believe that human hands can actually feel a difference between the two.

I recently went from Titleist DCI 962 irons with Aldila Nv Pro 105 shafts to Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons with AeroTech SteelFiber I95s.

Both with wrap style grips.

To me, the feel at impact is exactly the same, and I don't wear a glove.

I'm not looking for an argument or anything.

Personally, I just don't believe in cast/forged "feel" thing, that's all.

• Like 1

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Forged vs Cast is an argument that will continue forever. Most forged clubs are softer, but it’s not true across the board, nor are all forged clubs very soft feeling.

Anyway, to address your question, it’s extremely complicated. it would help to know what you like about the g410s prior to making a recommendation.

Do you like the offset/look? Do you like the lofts/spin/launch?

p790s IMO are easy to hit, but they have much less offset than ur g410s.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I'm sorry to have offended you.

There wasn't activity on the post so I just made conversation.

Perhaps it was the wrong place to share my thoughts on the matter if you feel it derailed your thread.

Perhaps on another thread some time in the future, you can (or anybody can, actually) explain to me exactly what feels different from one to the other.

Not having experienced it myself, I'd love to understand what is meant by this kind of "feel."

But again, sorry to have gone off topic.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

FYI... I play off about an 8, and I have no problem whatsoever with AP2 short irons.

if you play off an 8, there is an incredibly wide range of clubs you should be able to choose from.

L.A.B Link.1

Give the new Wilson D7 forged a look.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

N6A1VBRPYUON.jpeg

MK6B4UCG6DZY.jpeg

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

the 565MC has minimal offset, so that is a difference from the G410. The 565 is very soft feeling, 5 step forged iron with very nice turf interaction and is very tolerant of less then perfect contact. I have mentioned this iron elsewhere and fear being redundant so I included the website info and pics.

It is worthy of discussing with your fitter. If you have a chance to hit them, they’ll be hard to walk away from. As an 8 hcp, this is an iron that will offer the consistent result you desire, rewarding solid contact and allowing for some less than perfect swings.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I’m admittedly not familiar with Wishon other than what I’ve read here. As for what I don’t like about the G410, I don’t like the offset and they are a little more clunky than I like. I seem to hit more pull hooks with them. I also don’t like the sound of them and they just don’t feel anywhere near as nice as the Mizuno I’ve had in the past. What do I like? I like the little bit of extra distance I get, but that’s primarily a result of the jacked lifts. I also like the look of them, I do think they are a good looking club. I also like the extra forgiveness I get out of them.

I think what people above were trying to get you to see is that feel is not necessarily a forged vs cast thing. For example, if you tried the Ping i500 (which are forged) they will feel worse than your g410’s that are not forged. The cast i210s, however, feel dramatically better than the i500s. Manufacturers have come a long way in helping cast clubs have a better feel. And all the forging in the world won’t help a hollow club feel like your old Mizunos.

One more note - studies have shown again and again that “feel” is really all about sound. Take the sound away and people have trouble telling any club apart from a feel perspective.

I’d hate to have you skip some great cast clubs just because they are cast. For example have you tried the Ping i210s? They would seem to fit what you are looking for very well.

• Like 2

There are NO forged irons which even approach G410's in terms of off center strike forgiveness. Simple physics come into play where high MOI goes hand in hand with a larger size so the only choice is compromise if a smaller profile is desired.

Miura PP-9300's are the top of the heap in one piece forged semi-GI clubs in my opinion. They are midsized; noticeably smaller than the 410's and with less offset. There is a "straight neck" option which has even less offset than the standards although in my opinion the standards look good the way they are.

Regarding two piece forged clubs like Apex 19, Srixon 585, and the like, these are nice clubs but they won't have the feel of a true one piece forged club. This is not to say they are bad because they are not. In fact, both of these sets have legions of fans for good reason.

And FYI, if you use a softish ball (not an "X" ball) a lot of irons change from "clicky" to decent.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Mp54 59 63 64

Mp 20 Srixon 785

Im tone and feel sensitive like you.......

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Pedantic, but it's not the feel. It's the sound, which your brain interprets as feel. Confirmation bias plays a major role as well. In the end, not all forged clubs sound alike. Not all cast clubs sound alike. Shafts change the frequency as well. There are numerous factors.

Honestly, if you liked the way your Mizunos felt, and anything that feels different is unacceptable, just keep using Mizunos. You can't get certain styles of heads unless they are cast due to complexity of shape, so why conflate the two worlds? In the end we all have our biases, and if the changes in performance that certain cast irons bring to the table are not sufficient enough to accept the sound at impact, walk away from the table.

I would recommend sticking with the MP lineup, based off your bias.

Volrus, I'm curious; were you fitted for the G410's or are you taking a flyer on them? If you were fitted for the G410's, what's different about them in "real life" than you saw at the fitting? Also, when you say you've played a few rounds, how many is that, and after how long with forged clubs?

You may be different than me, but it takes me a LOT longer to get used to a new set of irons, even if they are the same general type as what I had been using, than it does with a new driver. I've always assumed that it's because of turf interaction and the need for precision more than distance with irons, but I usually figure on a couple of months and 25 rounds or so. Maybe I'm extreme.

I ask the fitting question because your only real performance complaint about the G410's is that you hit an occasional hook. If you're hitting more of those than you did before, and you weren't fitted, that may be a lie angle issue and not a club issue; there is no reason you should be hooking a cast club more or less than a forged club.

In any case, if you are looking for a more forgiving forged club than your Mizunos, then you REALLY need to get to a fitter with a Trackman; there is just no way that you can know that sort of thing FOR YOU simply by the reputation of the club. You don't want to spend the money for PXG's (I don't, either!) but if you buy another set or two in the search for something like you describe, you WILL have spent that much money and still might or might not have what you want. A guy with multiple brand access and a Trackman can tell you what's going on with the ball flight, including off center hits, and then you can tell him what you want to rule out because you don't like the way it looks or sounds or "feels".

Good observations blue. Yeah, I was fitted for them. I have them at 1 degree flat. I don’t know what the difference is, I hit them great during the fitting process and wasn’t hitting a hook. It was more of a baby draw which i loved. The problem I think is once I tried them and fell in love, I admittedly didn’t give the others a chance. That was my mistake, I should have tried additional clubs. Is it possible I’m hooking the ball more as a result of the off set?

All that said, I went today and had a full fitting on track man. The result is I am going with the TM P790s. I loved the PXGs. Also really liked the Cobra King forged tec. It’s funny, I kept my mp 53’s for years. Never been a big club changer.

Feel is different for everyone, but I would warn against judging the feel of the g410 based on hitting indoors. For me, they felt/sounded AWFUL inside, but felt/sounded pillow soft for me outside. Almost too muted. I can't explain it, but I almost prefer their feel to any forged club I've owned, and I've owned them ALL.

If you are looking for alternatives, though, I'd say Srixon 585 is an excellent forged high bounce option, and Mizuno 919 Forged are a great lower bounce option.

Best of luck!

Low offset sets u wanna try are:

MP20HMB

P790

L.A.B Link.1

At your handicap it is likely you can play any iron you want. However remember that extra distance you are getting from the 410 is not all jacked lofts, it’s the flexing face.

Your list mixes together some one-piece forgings (MP53) and some spring-faced heads with welded faces (Srixon 500 series) and some clubs that say ‘Forged’ but that actually refers to the chassis and the club is really hollow and filled with foam (p790) or not (new Cobra Forged Tec.)

The JPX 919 Forged is a unique approach with a cavity behind the face reverse milled through a cut in the sole of the club, which is then capped. So basically a one-piece forging, or two if you count the cap welded in place to close the sole. Could be a good one to test.

Ping 210 is cast. Among the softest-feeling irons I have ever hit, way softer than many allegedly forged clubs.

A safe rule of thumb these days is to remember if a club says ‘Forged’ on a part of the club, that may refer to only that part. Any one of the clubs on your list may suit you — it is indeed perceived a lot via sound at impact — but the winner may not be a true one-piece forging and why worry about it. A lot of good ones tossed out there. I do concur the new Wilson D7 Forged that’s just getting out there is another that matches up well with what you say you’re looking for. Happy hunting.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I’ve got g410. Great clubs but I think my old g25 feel/sound better. I210’s feel great as well. I had the original p790 for awhile before the g410. P790 didn’t work for me at all which is why I came back to ping. P790 didn’t feel/sound like traditional forged clubs.

I’ve also hit Callaway CF16 and CF19. I like both and they both feel/sound better than p790 and g410 to me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1