Have you ever had this experience

wernerfe ·  
wernerfewernerfe  2WRX Points: 0Validating - Unconfirmed, Members Posts: 2 Starters

So I went to a fitting yesterday for a full bag at Club Champion. The person that helped me out said that he could not fit me for a driver because I was hitting down at the ball with my angle of attack being around -1.5. Is this normal? I have seen beginners getting fit for a driver so how does this guy tell me that I need more practice in order to be able to get fit for a driver particularly because of my angle of attack.

btw I am a handicap 15 shooting in the low 80s

Posted:

Answers

• jvincentjvincent  1322WRX Points: 626Members Posts: 1,322 Platinum Tees

You can most certainly be fit for a driver with a negative angle of attack. Generically speaking, you'll need something lower lofted and a lower spin head.

From a swing mechanics point of view negative AoA isn't ideal for a driver, but it certainly doesn't make you unfittable.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 18* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rizz2rizz2  18WRX Points: 12Handicap: 12Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

I agree with jvincent. It sounds like this fitter does not know what he is doing. There is a youtube video by TXG Golf called "Driver Fitting for Negative Angle of Attack"....I would post a link but it will not allow me to yet.

I watch all of these videos from these guys at TXG Golf. He is a master fitter and Ian and Matt are great together....it is entertaining if you are a gear head.

They fit a driver assuming a -1.7 attack angle. Pretty much goes into trying to get high launch but low spin to counteract the negative attack angle. BTW I have a 0 to -0.5 angle of attack with driver (depending on my swing that day) not ideal but also not un-fittable.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Posted:

What Club Champion did you go to? I was thinking about going to the one near me in the Chicago suburbs. Now I am having 2nd thoughts.

Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 8131WRX Points: 340Handicap: ScotchMembers Posts: 8,131 Titanium Tees

You can fit any swing, any handicap. Sounds like this guy was lazy or doesn't know what he is doing!? Scary!! If this is how he works, might want to get a second opinion on the rest of the bag fit?!

Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • azoneazone  717WRX Points: 103Members Posts: 717 Golden Tee

sounds like your fitting was conducted by someone with an "opinion" and not "knowledge." Driver negative AOA is definitely not uncommon 😂

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30200WRX Points: 6,555Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,200 Titanium Tees

Go find a real fitter. 1.5 down isn’t extreme. The tour average was around 1 down for years. What you found was a launch monitor jockey.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

Advertisement

Any fitter recommendations in the Chicagoland area? I was going to try Club Champion but now I am scared!!

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  9012WRX Points: 1,292Members Posts: 9,012 Titanium Tees

Your fitter was a clown and I would never go back there. You can 100% be fit with a negative AoA with driver. Is it optimal? No... but it's totallyyyyy fine... Some of the best on planet earth hit slightly down with driver.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• 86020818602081  2039WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 2,039 Platinum Tees

I'm trying to understand why he could be saying that..

Could it be that, he doesn't want to fit someone with a bad swing that needs to be adjusted?

Better money spent fixing the swing to hit the ball upward instead of trying to band-aid a bad swing?

I'm sure he had a reason.. Maybe he was lazy..

Posted:
  • j.a.j.a.  1732WRX Points: 184Members Posts: 1,732 Platinum Tees

Undoubtedly the fitter at that club is not a champion. Negative AoA might sound like me and I got fitted without a problem, not that I need a super special shaft.

Posted:
  • HateTheHighDrawHateTheHighDraw  2472WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 2,472 Platinum Tees

Sounds like when he said he couldn’t fit you he literally meant it, he didn’t know how to fit you

Posted:

Advertisement
  • steeletaylorsteeletaylor Inlet Beach, FL 78WRX Points: 31Members Posts: 78 Fairways

Having recently done some time on a Trackman with this same issue (negative AoA), the issue may be that you're hitting it so low that the Trackman isn't picking up the ball and club data. This happened to me a lot as I was hitting the bay.

What is your typical driver flight? I had an off day at the fitting and was just hitting low bullets that barely carried 220 but would run out 50+ yards. This was only seen when the Trackman picked up the ball.

Long story short, yes they can fit a negative AoA. Many tour pros actually have a negative AoA, such as Brooks Koepka.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - MCA Tensei AV Blue 65x
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - MCA Tensei AV Blue 75x
    Callaway Apex Pro '19 4-pw - KBS C-Taper Lite stiff +1/2" and 1* up
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50* 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts +1/2"
    Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 35"

• Howard_JonesHoward_Jones  10322WRX Points: 1,450Members Posts: 10,322 Titanium Tees

i know its 18 days since the tread was started, but as info, PGA average for the driver is minus 1.3 as AOA, but i guess they dont go to that place for fitting.

The only difference between a positive and a negative AOA from a fitting perspective is that a player with a negative AOA would need a higher loft to get up to the same launch angle as the one with a positive AOA, everything else is the same. And just for the record, if you swing is stable, there is no reason to change it, just get the needed loft.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.