Diamana 'ahina "For Titleist"

hagimihale

Currently playing a S+ 72g X-Stiff in my 913F. Just added an 818 H2 to the bag, with a Tensei Pro White 90S. The Tensei is a great shaft, and makes me wonder if I'd do better with the stiffer profile of the 82g 'ahina in my 913F. Not ready to upgrade to the TS line just yet, and I like the feel of the 913 better than either the 915 or 917 (both feel tinny and hollow to me).

Have read a number of posts here that the D+/S+ shafts are NOT the same as the 'ahina or Kai'li. So I go on the bay and see some 82g 'ahina shafts, but they have "designed exclusively for Titleist" on the shaft. Are these the real deal? I've always assumed that "designed for [enter brand name]" is not the same. Are these better than the D+ I see elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Greatly appreciate the expertise I am finding in these forums.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that the "designed for Titleist" versions that are designated at 72, 82, etc. as opposed to 70, 80, etc. are the watered down versions of the real deal 'ahina shafts. They don't have the ultra-premium composition of the aftermarket 'ahina shafts. I was doing some research of my own on this subject and that is what my interpretation is anyways.

That is correct, yes. "Ultra Premium" may be overstating it a bit, but the "Made for Titleist" Diamana shafts of that time period were softer, cheaper, and regarded overall as "inferior" products to the aftermarket versions. The aftermarket Ahina shafts are still fantastic and can be had quite cheaply given that they are several generations old now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIAMANA-AHINA-80-Stiff-Flex-SHAFT-335-MITSUBISHI-RAYON-AFTERMARKET-ION/333135087637?hash=item4d90660815:g:pc8AAOSw4KVbsrUL@rizz2 is correct in the weight designations as well; 62/72/82g were the cheaper "made for" shafts and 60/70/80 were the premium aftermarket versions. The "+PLUS" series ostensibly began the transition towards increasing the overall quality of the "made for" shaft and integrating it into their core lineup, combined with a premium "TX" flex version that would be considered the higher end, premium material version. It is all a bit hazy though and I plan to at some point attempt a large "History of OEM shafts" sort of thread in an attempt to detail all these nuances with the help of the community.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@Valtiel said "but the "Made for Titleist" Diamana shafts of that time period were softer, cheaper, and regarded overall as "inferior" products to the aftermarket versions."
Yes they were softer, but it's only the elitists that regarded them as inferior ;-)
Seriously, though. Those with a more practical views knew that all you had to do was tip the 'made for' version an extra 1" and most wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the aftermarket version. And that's assuming that stiffer aftermarket really was a better fit - which was a lot less frequent than you'd think. Just based on the OP's stated shaft history and likes, I doubt he'd be one to prefer the aftermarket over the made-for, but you never can tell for sure until you actually try the shaft.
Also, many of those that really were into the original Diamana's weren't all that crazy about how the feels changed in the 2nd generation.

Eh, I think it is a practical performance vs. actual material value question. From a performance standpoint, I agree. Most people would fit into the OEM versions better. But from a material value standpoint we are looking at a more cheaply produced product that still attempts to bear the name and appearance of the more expensive counterpart, so I don't think referring to that product as "inferior" is elitist. If the marketing is allowed to try what is ostensibly a fairly thinly veiled bait and switch then we the consumer are allowed to call BS IMO.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

@Valtiel said But from a material value standpoint we are looking at a more cheaply produced product that still attempts to bear the name and appearance of the more expensive counterpart, so I don't think referring to that product as "inferior" is elitist
But the only really important aspect of a shafts value is how it performs for the player. "Material value" only really matters to your bank account. It doesn't have any proven direct effect on performance or longevity or reliability of the shaft - none of the things most people would generally associate with the word 'inferior'.
As far as the morality goes, that's not an aspect of the discussion I'm really interested in or worry about. It's just an inherent part of any business in a capitalistic society (not just golf). It's the consumers responsibility to educate themselves to make the right decsions. Relying on marking information never has been, nor never will be a wise way to make purchasing decisions.
And besides, if someone really had a problem with it, it's the companies (both Titleist and MRC in this case) as a whole that they should avoid supporting or complain about, not just target the specific made-for model shaft.

I agree with Valtiel in that it's deceptive marketing to take a well respected and expensive aftermarket shaft and decontent it as it were for use into a "made for" that looks like the original. Doesn't matter how the shaft performs. If Titleist wanted a shaft that was softer than the original then that's fine, just make one but don't paint it to look like something it's not. Truth is though most customers don't even know what an Ahina is anyway, so original or "made for..." doesn't affect their purchase decision. The GolfWRX types that do know the difference could rebel against the "made for..." version so maybe that's why the practice seems to have left the marketplace?

As an aside, Cobra paint job Rogues can be had very cheaply these days. They are reputed to match the original design other than paint. So while they could be classified as "made for..." they are the real deal shaft under the paint (or so people here say.) Kind of the opposite of the Titleist example.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Understood, I think this is a fairly easy "agree to disagree" kind of topic as the ethical side IS interesting to me. I think there would be a decent amount of outrage if the shaft industry was completely honest about the basics of material usage and manufacturing origins these days. The entire debacle around the Rogue 125MSI from several years ago was a good example. BUT, I reckon we've hijacked the thread enough on that topic, heh.

Bridgestone 

As the OP, I appreciate both the feedback on my original question and the ethical debate on shaft materials and transparency by the manufacturing companies.

Clearly, I would not be getting the same quality of shaft if I added the "for Titleist" model, as opposed to the actual 'ahina. And it sounds as though the D+ is better than the "for Titleist", if for no other reasons than its a newer model. I'll keep an eye out for the real deal, but may just put a D+ in the 3W for the moment. Or just go get a Tensei Pro White fairway shaft, since I'm crushing the 818H2.

I see both sides of the argument regarding the ethics. Yes, the manufacturers are toeing the line between exaggeration and outright lying to the consumers, when they infer that the "for [insert brand name]" shaft is the same as the aftermarket model. But didnt Callaway and Taylor Made do this many years ago, when they started to strengthen lofts and then market their irons as the "longest ever"? I laughed when my buddy got a newer set and then proudly stated how much farther he hit his 6i than I did. I asked for his 6i on the tee, and blew my shot past his. Then explained about stronger lofts. LOL.

But you could also argue that the manufacturers couldnt make sufficient profits if they included the real deal in their clubs at the current price point. If current driver costs x, and real deal shaft cost y, then actual cost should be x + y, not x + $10 for upgraded "inferior" shaft. Most golfers probably dont have that in their budget. And if the "inferior" model is still an upgrade over the minimum basic shaft that comes with the club, everybody wins.

So thanks for the reading, I've enjoyed the back and forth. Greatly appreciate this community.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

@hagimihale said And it sounds as though the D+ is better than the "for Titleist"
Depends which one you get. There were both aftermarket and 'made for Titleist' versions of the plus series as well as the second gen Diamanas (Ahina, Kai'li 'lima). The numbering was managed similarly e.g. The S+ 72 in your 913F was made for Titleist.

I have a real 70x pull in my basement ....

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have Diamana whiteboards (same flexes/weight ranges/length profiles for the same model drivers and woods) of every generation (except for the original flowerband and the newest gen as waiting for newest to come down in price (even though I can get at $220 per shaft)). It’s not as though certain ones are inherently better or worse; they’re all just slightly different. I have a tendency to block the gen 2.5 (the gray whiteboard) right more often; I have a tendency to hit the gen 3 W-Series whiteboard more left. I like the gen 3 feel the best, but I produce the best results with the gen 2 ‘ahina and the gen 3.5 D+PLUS.

I am also a fan of the blueboards.

The Diamana whiteboards and blueboards are my all time favorite shafts and are presently somewhat underrated.

I love those older shafts as well, specifically the Blueboards. That is interesting as well that you liked the W-Series the best as it is a very different profile than most of the rest of the "White/D" lineup. Actually extremely similar to the Motore .2 Speeders based on EI Profile information. Apologies for the derail, i'm glad you found it useful though! I agree with your breakdown as well, it is very much a constant battle between maximizing profitability while maintaining some degree of "prestige". Always a give and take.
I'm a bit hazy on this one too, to be honest. My basic understanding was what @storm319 stated, that the 1st Gen +PLUS line was the first move towards offering the same stock shaft as an aftermarket upgrade as well, and I don't recall there being any different versions. Same thing with the 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen with the "TX" flex versions being the premium "tour shafts". It seemed like three "generations" of shaft that were designed to incrementally inch away from the negative "made for" stigma and legitimize the product in the eyes of the more picky consumers.

Bridgestone