USGA DISTANCE INSIGHT

QuigleyDU ·  
QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9552WRX Points: 3,038Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,552 Titanium Tees

Well,

I wonder what they are going to say? All the numbers I have looked at show a decrease in overall distance for 2019. This report has been delayed in what I assume is an attempt to re-run the numbers to fit their agenda.. Supposedly going to be released today.

I am not really a fan of Shackleford but I do read his blog. Here are his thoughts as well..

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/advancing-the-game/distance-insights.html

Posted:
Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Comments

• gvogelgvogel  8086WRX Points: 1,085Members Posts: 8,086 Titanium Tees

What I find interesting is that they will assess the potential of a Local Rule option that would specify clubs or balls intended to result in shorter hitting distances.

That could lead to some sort of bifurcation, but it could also lead to older, shorter courses enabled to hold competitions for elite male golfers. I am in favor of this approach as a first step toward reducing the distance explosion from 1995 to now.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • MOABMOAB  77WRX Points: 51Members Posts: 77 Fairways
    Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8836WRX Points: 2,512Members Posts: 8,836 Titanium Tees

Absolutely no argument there. Whenever there is a wet/soggy tournament the driving distances drop dramatically. Perhaps the drop in distance in 2019 was more due to all the wet weather much of the US had.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9552WRX Points: 3,038Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,552 Titanium Tees

Potentially. Regardless it comes down to set up. Slow down the fairways and you shorten the game..

Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJ 1909WRX Points: 380Handicap: 16.4Members Posts: 1,909 Platinum Tees

What an original and exciting topic to discuss.

Posted:

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3531WRX Points: 502Handicap: 3.0Members Posts: 3,531 Titanium Tees

Please ignore. What I've previously written here is non-sense.

Posted:
    Post edited by Golfingfanatic on
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 iron w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95X
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 50 S-Grind
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 56 X-Grind
    Vokey Low Bounce K-Grind 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Copper

• Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal. 906WRX Points: 122Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 906 Golden Tee

Lol...can’t be!

Kind of proves that Golf is more than just about distance, right?

Shorter courses are still fun, you just use different clubs off the tee.

Posted:
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJ 1909WRX Points: 380Handicap: 16.4Members Posts: 1,909 Platinum Tees

I have never met such a player. Sounds like a Big Foot/Yetti sighting.

Posted:

and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9552WRX Points: 3,038Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,552 Titanium Tees

Not original, Other than the report is being released today. But exciting... absolutely. This will get to 100 plus pages easily.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are.  1495WRX Points: 289Members Posts: 1,495 Platinum Tees

Back in the day, the golf ball and equipment in general was much kinder to the short knocker than it was the hard hitter. The harder you hit it, the less efficiency you got transferring the energy of the club to the golf ball (they were squishier and spun more). Today, it is much more fair across the board with how equipment performs. The harder hitters are less penalized with the modern ball than they once were (less spinny and squishy) as well being able to realize their potential by being able to tune equipment for their best results (think spin and launch angle etc).

You seem to have more of a problem with the fact that when equipment changed to what is now the modern era and relatively stagnant regarding any significant distance improvements, everyone became capable of getting longer than they were. They can now be properly fit for the right clubs and the right ball to maximize distance where they need it and spin when they need it.

Its either that or you would be a fan of courses being MUCH longer than they are today. Being much longer would choke the short guys completely out of the tour and you could imagine we will see more and more long drive capable guys on the tour than there currently are. Longer courses make longer distance even more needed and show up more than it currently does in the statistics.

I will end with this. You seem to forget about the advantage longer hitters have with their approach shots. Given the same distance out, the longer player could be 1 or 2 clubs different from the shorter guy. They have the advantage of spin and control not to mention height of the shot.

As I have mentioned in the numerous other threads about this, the longest pro's today are limited on how often they can go after the ball at all. They have to play the odds or lay it up in an ideal spot. Even that isn't easy. It then comes down to who best executes that second shot to the green. Advantage, longer players.

Posted:

WITB
    Driver: Krank Formula X Extreme 6.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 60X, 44"
    3 Wood: Epic Subzero 15.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 70X, 42.5"
    5 Wood: Epic Subzero 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80X, 42"
    Utility: Ping G400 19*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80X, 39"
    4-PW: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Aldila RIP Tour 115X, (7 iron 37")
    WEDGES: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind: 50*, 54*, 60*, Aldila RIP Tour 115X, 35"
    PUTTER: Custom(my own design)/2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    BALL: TP5X/Nike RZN Platinum

drop off on almost all tours.

Posted:

Where is @15th Club ? He'll easily push this to a 200 page topic..

Posted:

WITTB:

• clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are.  1495WRX Points: 289Members Posts: 1,495 Platinum Tees

I am glad @QuigleyDU started this thread lol. I was waiting for it. Almost did it myself. I have been waiting for this report forever. Obviously it is a hotly contested topic and the USGA decision/results could be a very impactful one. I for one sure hope they either leave things alone and or they look more forward and be proactive or quicker to respond should any REAL advancements in technology inflate distance beyond what it is today. Some things that come to mind....

Overall weight of the club (prevent them from getting lighter)

More parameters for golf balls to be within to be legal (Compression, cover material friction, internal layers etc)

MOI of clubs, CG location, heel/toe weighting, hollow irons, CT of fairway woods and hybrids.

Just some examples I could think of that they could establish better limits for going forward imo.

Posted:

WITB

Advertisement

Interesting findings by the USGA.

for the past 15 years distance for handicap keeping AMs has stayed flat.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30198WRX Points: 6,555Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,198 Titanium Tees

I just don’t buy it as a whole. Although I reserve the right to say that we may very well agree on some points though. But think about it this way if all that you say is true then answer this question. Why arent 2/3 of this site membership and the whole of the golf population in general yelling loudly for a rollback? If it will benefit the short hitter and finish killing off the longer then why are they so against it?

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

I don't think people are blasting them for gathering data, nothing wrong with keeping tabs on the sport imo, it is for the things they have said regarding the data they have been gathering and the outspoken people that have basically told the USGA to do something about distance (mostly the old timers like Jack and Gary). People like me that think the anchoring ban and the groove rules were stupid, reactionary and did effectively nothing but annoy a lot of people are why they are getting crap thrown at them.

Posted:

WITB

• Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal. 906WRX Points: 122Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 906 Golden Tee

Not that I object to shorter balls or limiting the weight of the clubs, but it’s really difficult to see what technologies will improve distance or forgiveness in the future.

What Is object to is rules chasing this technology and ball and club makers trying to outrun the rules. It gets too expensive to play LOL!

Posted:

I can't speak for everyone but for myself I am 100% against it because I think it is honestly extremely stupid and needless. Don't fix what ain't broken, especially if it is obviously not broken for the vast majority, the ones that actually matter in the world of golf.

Also, it only benefits the shorter hitter if the ball is changed back to disproportionately hurting the stronger harder hitting. You artificially take away the athletic advantage of speed. In its present form, the advantage is there regardless of if the player has to hold back off the tee. Like I said, they have less club in and also do get the opportunity to uncork one here and there especially if they are trying to move up the leader board on Sunday.

I just see things in a different light than you Blade. You know this all too well.

Posted:

WITB

Advertisement
  • WesquireWesquire  838WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 838 Golden Tee

Seems to me that they are way too late. Most courses have already adapted.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • tungstenplugtungstenplug Washington, D.C. 325WRX Points: 332Members Posts: 325 Greens

Everyone professional event should require use of the same golf ball, provided by the tournament host/governing body/tour. Just like they do in pro tennis, pro basketball, pro soccer, pro football, pro baseball, pro hockey, etc

One official brand, a couple different models, all are available to everyone to practice with and use recreationally

Posted:

Titleist
    Mizuno
    Vokey

2020 # of rounds: 6

Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 12228WRX Points: 1,360Handicap: 3.2Members Posts: 12,228 Titanium Tees

As I recall it was 34 yards of roll. I was amazed it showed 280 carry for a fairway wood for Webb. 314 total. And it was downwind. Which is not crazy. The typical wrx’r stands on the tee and thinks his tee shot only rolled ten yards because from behind it appears to be much less than from the side or from above as seen on tv. But here in Phoenix the conditions are typically firm and fast.

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.