Ever play with "that" guy

Got a good friend of mine that I play with occasionally. Bigger dude, not the greatest golfer. Plays the biggest pull you have ever seen. Finally comes out to my home course, its tree lined, like butt loads of trees...everywhere. 2nd hole he is deep in the woods. Pulls out his driver. I say "Bill, just punch out brother". As I was putting up the windshield on the cart he says "I Got this". About 4 shots later I begged him to just punch out. The round continued on like this for a while. On the 16th hole, par 5, ole Bill pounds his driver 240. We are into a 15mph headwind, 305yds out. Bill is waiting for the green to clear. "Uhhhhh you can hit man, its over 300". "Dude when I mash this 3W my carry is over 300" he says.

Now I am a betting man and my buddy Bill likes his steak. I says "We got nobody behind us, I will empty my bag and you can empty yours and you can hit every ball and if you can hit the green from here once I will buy you a years supply of steak". My other buddy tells Bill that I am serious and will buy him truckloads of steak. Billy pulls that 3W monster and pounds the most beautiful ball you have ever seen. "Get your money out" he says. It lands 70 yards short of the green. I walk up to him, look him in the eyes like I did my wife just before I proposed and said "we done here?" Bill just walked back to the cart.

Love that guy

LOL

Great story, yep their are Bill's all over the world.

One of my favorites, I'm hitting driver off the deck? LOL

Unless you have reached PGA Tour status you are not gonna hit driver off the deck with any success. Why do people do this? I'm a 3 handicap and if I hit one out of a thousand balls with a driver off the deck with any success it is saying a lot.

I love when I see the dreaded 25 handicap guy pull driver out in the fairway. Anything can happen and usually does, including totally missing the ball, which I have scene a bunch of times.

No.

I'd have to be well-compensated to play with someone like that. There is a number, though.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Always enjoy your stories Rich!

Here's one from my first round of the year last week in Vegas playing with a father and his son, although there's a bit of a twist. The son is maybe in his late 30's and through 13 holes, he's maybe hit 1-2 drives past me and I'm 20+ years his senior. On the 14th hole, we're playing the middle tees and it's a shortish 280 par 4. I hit a nice drive and was 30-40 yards short of the green. He's up and says, I'll wait as I can hit the twosome on the green. His Pop says to him "You haven't hit a ball over 250 all day we need to get going so just hit the damn ball."

Shockingly, he listens and hits the drive of his lifetime. Straight at the green, just missed hitting the twosome as they walked off, with the ball settling in the fringe on the back side of the green. He look at his Pop and just said, "Told you."

It's the once in a lifetime shot that makes you think you can do it every time.

• Like 1

I think me not wanting anything in return was the best part of the bet. I did ask him if that is the case why he does not use it off the tee instead of driver. He said he can only hit it that far off the ground. I said don't use a tee. It was a very fun day, my other buddy was dying laughing the whole day.

This is a different sort of "that guy"

About 10 years ago, my husband and I played with a friend and his buddy in our weekly 9-hole "fun league." The buddy was the slowest golfer I've ever played with. Took a long time to choose his club; multiple practice swings; 10 seconds of waggling (at one point the friend said, "just hit the ******* ball!"); took forever to read his putt, etc. He shot a great round for him; a couple of strokes over par. As we walked off the 9th green he said, in all seriousness, "I hope you enjoyed watching me play."  

In the clubhouse, he told the bartender he'd buy the first round of drinks for our foursome. The bartender started to get my husband's usual drink (can of beer) out of the cooler. The buddy says, "No, no. I'll buy them a glass of tap beer." ($1)

My husband and I still laugh about that. When either of us is having a significantly better than normal round, we will say to the other, "I hope you enjoyed watching me play."

• Like 4

yes I have watched a guy like that -- the difference is this guy takes 3-4 practice swings at 120 MPH -- then stands over his ball perfectly still for what seems to be minutes... We wonder sometimes did he go into a Coma -- and then he swings and the ball dribbles 20-30 yards... and then we have to watch that movie all over again.

I used to play a lot with a buddy...decent guy and a pretty good golfer, but he was so slow, and let’s just say he liked to use the pencil wedge more often than he should have. Plus, he could be a bit of a braggadocio. He would take at least 4 practice swings before every shot. He would stalk his putts like Tiger in the 4th round of the US Open (every one of them). And sometimes he would hit a drive 50 yards deep into the woods, yet somehow always found “his” ball just on the edge of the woods with a clear shot to the green and a clean lie. He would pull the “I can’t hit yet because I’ll hit them” thing all the time, BUT, I challenged him on it a couple of times over the years and he actually proved me wrong. He was fine, though...a mostly good dude who was just a little quirky.

I was another version of “that guy” in a round earlier this year. A buddy and I were playing in a tournament with a younger, well built guy and his Dad. My buddy can move it pretty well and he’s very consistent. When I’m on, I can also move it but I’m inconsistent. This young guy was hitting it quite well this day, and I swear to God I’ve never seen anybody make more footage of putts in a round of golf. It was insane. So I’m getting frustrated. I was playing like dog, and this guy was lighting it up and everyone was going on and on about how long he was hitting it. The thing is, I knew I could outdrive him if I was “on”. So I kept trying so hard to finally prove that I could do it (silently to myself but taking some big swipes, which is of course great for your game). Finally on the 14th hole I connected with one and we had a funny exchange where no-one believed that my ball was the one 10 yards ahead of his. So I get annoyed about that, and then I heard his Dad mutter something about I must have gotten some cart path help. So on the next tee, I’m determined to prove it wasn’t a fluke. I take 4 of the hardest practice swings I’ve ever taken, get some laughs from the Dad.......and proceed to hit the biggest block slice I’ve ever hit on a hole that is 100 yards wide. Lol. Omg. I was so stupid that day. Maybe I did get some cart path help after all...

I do a few times a year, and the conditions have to be right (soft ground, sitting up a bit). Choke up a little, and for my swing, expect a left to right shot. Why are you critisizing others for *your* lack of trying?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I wonder if I would be considered "that guy" by the guy we are referring to as "that guy"? I've been paired with guys like this at public courses and most of the time we are walking. In these situations I have walked past the guy to get closer to my ball to keep our group moving as we all know he is going to top it or ultimately end up no where near the green. On a handful of occasions, they have made comments that I shouldn't have walked ahead as they were then thinking about me and not wanting to hit me, instead of focusing on the shot. I obviously don't stand anywhere near the line they would be taking and I usually try to stay in a blind spot. Left side of the hole for a righty.

Am I being "that guy" by walking ahead of them or do others keep moving towards their ball? How do you guys handle this when riding? Will you leave them there, grab a few clubs and make your way to your ball? It feels like such a time suck to sit there waiting with them when they aren't going to execute.

@TimK1 You certainly don't have to have PGA tour status to hit driver off the deck with success. I'm a +1 and nowhere close to PGA tour, or any tour status, and I hit driver off the deck with plenty of success. I don't do it often, probably less than once per round on average, but sometimes it gives me the best chance to reach a par 5 in two. I understand what you're saying though and maybe you meant that as a hyperbole.

I hit driver off the deck a few times a year.

Last year I hit a beauty in a two man match the crushed the spirit of our opponents because they thought they had a big advantage until I roasted driver to the front edge of a par 5. When you need a low, burning fade there's nothing like driver off the deck.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Here is a good one. I was playing a few years ago with my dad and two friends at a club I hadn't ever played at before. We get through maybe 6 holes and there is the long straight par 5 with a pretty massive hill you are hitting into... I'm thinking its gotta be at least 250 to the top of the hill. I hit driver... slice but safe. My father, puts one out there nice and straight. My buddy on the other hand says, "That group in front of us should be clear right?" I'm like, "Come on Chris, you have been hitting shitty all day, you will be fine" Well I must of lit a fire under his ass... He hits a freaking BOMB! Sails well over the hill, and we are all fist bumping excited and what not, and all of a sudden we hear what sounded like a thud/knock. I say, probably a sprinkler head or yardage marker (he hit it dead straight) we are about just driving up the hill to get to my dad's ball and I see a cart coming down the hill at us (not the ranger) Some guy starts yelling at us telling us we hit his friend in the head with a ball.

I'm like. Oh my God... That was the sound... sure enough his friend, bald guy gets out of the cart, and it looks like he has a golf ball sized bump on his head. I mean seriously, looked like it hurt. The guy proceeds to tell us he is going to sue us, bloviating about how he is going to take us for everything we are worth...yada yada yada. And, I couldnt help myself... "I go... Well where was your friend when he got hit?" Guy says, we were about 200 out from the green. I literally go... Holy shit... Chris, you carried like 330 yards man! Thats incredible!

The guy goes, wait... That was your drive? We thought it was your second shot! The conversation got a little less tense after that. My father offered to drive the man to the clubhouse buy them a drink etc. Cooler heads prevailed, and it officially goes down as my favorite golf story of all time...

So every once in a while, your Bills out there might clip one good .... haha

I think you're doing exactly the right thing by moving forward to your ball. I do think its up to a player to talk to his playing partners, to ask him to move if its an issue. Its not a bad move on your part to explicitly say "I'm going to walk up to my ball so I'm ready, let me know if I need to move", but I think the real burden is on them to speak up before they get irritated.

• Like 1

I always ask first at the beginning and the turn about going ahead. If it bothers someone I won't do it. Other people change mid-round, either when they are doing poorly or well. I never walk in front of my younger brother. He has hit at me (questionably intentionally) several times before. I know I'd rather just stay behind or on the other side of the fairway.

I certainly understand how they might be hesitant to say something as we just met but I agree that something should be said before it becomes a problem. I can also be fully transparent before we go off to make sure it won't be an issue either. This is usually never a problem with my regular group...or at least no one has said anything lol.

Performance does impact this as well....shocking...I know! In these situations, no one has really come close. I've had some really close calls around the green. Errand bunker shots or the occasional sideways chip that have caused a spike in the heart rate. Oddly enough, these have been friendly fire from family members as well.

When I’m playing with friends and we are having fun at each other’s expense, I’ve been known to say “If you like golf you’re gonna love this shot” before hitting. It’s more fun (for me) when I actually hit a good shot. Better for them when I don’t.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Got randomly paired with one of those 'that' guys. Probably early to mid 60s . Insisted I play the golds (6900) with him instead of the blues (6500). Was actually a decent player, but every bad bounce was the worst course conditions or maintenance he's seen. Running a ball to an uphill green and the ball stopping short on the incline...poor course conditions, a real course would allow it to run all the way. This went on all round. (tree roots, green speeds being too fast and also too slow??? etc etc. The best part was, and I note we were not playing for anything, short par 4, I take a 6i off the tee. I catch it perfectly thin and it reaches mach one at about 2 ft off the ground max height. Ended up with a wedge in and a two putt par. Now what does that guy say? not nice par, or a haha that's golf. It was I wouldn't that as a par in my mind, your shot was bad and not not a true golf shot.

This was 2 years ago, and it still bring a sour taste out.

Colin used to take 5 minutes to get ready to swing...he would fiddle with his grip over and over and over...couldn't say much as he was a +1 and would shoot low all the time.

He had his little pinky on his right hand removed due to an accident

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Love to say to guys “just be awesome”

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Rich S2 forever known as the Dream Killer! LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels