2020 Handicap calculation issues

Loki ·  
LokiLoki Members  1267WRX Points: 203Posts: 1,267 Platinum Tees

Anyone have a unexpected large increase in their index after the new handicap formula went into effect?

At the end of last year, I had a 7.7 index. Now my index is 9.2, which is impossible. The highest it could be is 8.0 due to the 0.96 multiplier being eliminated. My state golf association says it is correct at 9.2.

At the end of the day, my number is my number, but methinks something is amiss.

Posted:

Comments

• davep043davep043 Members  4881WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,881 Titanium Tees

Do you have your score history? You should be able to access it and do the calculations manually, using both methods. I agree, the two numbers shouldn't be that far apart, assuming you haven't posted any scores since December 15.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent Members  1413WRX Points: 731Posts: 1,413 Platinum Tees

Yeah, that doesn't sound right if you haven't added any scores.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 18* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• KevCarterKevCarter WisconsinClubWRX  12929WRX Points: 473Posts: 12,929 ClubWRX

With the new computation taking 8 of the last 20 instead of 10, could it be the old 9th and 10th best scores sorted by date were two of your lowest?

Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32505WRX Points: 2,523Posts: 32,505 Titanium Tees

Mine remained the same.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• davep043davep043 Members  4881WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,881 Titanium Tees

Kev, unless there are new scores posted, no "old" scores were dropped. The scores that WERE dropped are the 9th and 10th scores sorted by score (differential, actually). Now if he did post scores between December 15 and now, he definitely could have bumped some old good scores from the calculation.

Posted:

• KevCarterKevCarter WisconsinClubWRX  12929WRX Points: 473Posts: 12,929 ClubWRX
    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again

Advertisement
  • LokiLoki Members  1267WRX Points: 203Posts: 1,267 Platinum Tees

It doesn't matter. On Dec. 31 my index was 7.7, on Jan. 1 it was 9.2. Haven't played since October, and probably won't until April. It's not possible that the index increases 1.5 strokes.

I have looked at a few things but I actually think they calculated the 7.7 incorrectly. I am going to look further but something is amiss.

Posted:

They left out a bunch of 9 hole rounds. I play two leagues and record them.

I reached out to them again today, but they haven't responded yet, not unusual.

Posted:
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11592WRX Points: 477Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,592 Titanium Tees

That would lower the average differential, not raise it. There's no way someones index goes up with the new WHS calculation.

However, their "Playing handicap" may go up since that calculation is different.

Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass Members  15822WRX Points: 1,105Posts: 15,822 Titanium Tees

With the elimination of the old 96% factor, your newly computed index will go up (unless a zero index or rounding precludes it).

Posted:

The use of the best 8, instead of best 10, will tend to make the HI go down, elimination of the 0.96 factor (in USGA areas) will tend to make the HI go up. The elimination of the 0.96 factor will have a greater impact on higher handicaps than on low ones. From what I've heard, more people had their HI go down slightly than have had it go up. The OP figured out that his issue was that some scores didn't get posted. I hope he's been able to have that stuff corrected.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SawgrassSawgrass Members  15822WRX Points: 1,105Posts: 15,822 Titanium Tees

Yes, I should have added "with all other things being equal" such as the three highest scores of the best previous 10 of 20 being the same.

Posted:
  • AugsterAugster Members  4625WRX Points: 547Posts: 4,625 Titanium Tees

Totally possible if the OP used to have an “R” rating on his cap. Once they removed the “R” it would have to go up.

If he posted his differentials it’d be easy to figure out the index.

I guess I don’t understand the “left out a bunch of 9-hole Rounds” thing. At most you would have ONE 9-hole round. Once another 9-hole round was posted, it would have combined to a “C” 18-hole round. No more 9-holers waiting to be computed.

Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12306WRX Points: 1,431Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,306 Titanium Tees

You meant they would form a “N” score for combined Nines. “C” is a competition score.

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • AugsterAugster Members  4625WRX Points: 547Posts: 4,625 Titanium Tees

These are his scores from last year. Last year they would have been “C” combined scores. He doesn’t have any scores this year.

You are correct, though, any 2019 C scores (combined 9’s) have been changed to “N” scores on his scoring record.

Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12306WRX Points: 1,431Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,306 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers  6795WRX Points: 1,176Handicap: 7.7Posts: 6,795 Titanium Tees

You WILL let us know when you find out why a number of 9 hole scores were left out of the conversions, yes ?

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11592WRX Points: 477Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,592 Titanium Tees

Unless the average differential of scores 9 and 10 are within 4% of the average of differentials of scores 1-8, your cap is going down. I'd like to see an example of someone's who went up.

Posted:

Hey guys! Just got notification that they found my missing scores. HI is now 7.4.

I didn't ask but I wonder how many others had this same issue.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.