GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

SIM driver back weight

Grizpharm ·  
GrizpharmGrizpharm ClubWRX  537WRX Points: 84Handicap: 3Posts: 537 ClubWRX

Does anyone know if you can remove the back weight of the sim drivers to add hot melt in? Or do they have a hot melt port already (non tour issue)

Posted:
Callaway Rogue w/ Diamana DF 60TX<br />Cobra king Ltd 3 wood w/ tensei pro blue 70s<br />Cobra king utility black<br />Srixon z785 w/ Nippon modus 120s 4-p<br

Comments

• GOLF4373GOLF4373 Members  355WRX Points: 62Posts: 355 Greens

You can use the hole in the hosel. There is a square hole same as the m5/m6. It makes it more difficult to get the melt certain places but works for just swingweighting fine. I saw trottie golf melting a head on Instagram the same way for whoever on tour so....

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • pmangpmang Mason City, IowaMembers  424WRX Points: 165Posts: 424 Greens

If the back weight is removed, is there any room or holes to add tungsten putty? I don’t have the ability to hot melt.

Posted:
    Post edited by pmang on
    Titleist TS3 10.5* NV 2KXV blue 60 S
    Titleist TS2 15* & 18* FW Tensei AV65 S
    Titleist TS2 4 Hybrid Tensei AV70 S 
    Ping i210 5-UW DG 105 S
    Titleist SM7 54* & 58* 
    Scotty Cameron SS Flowback 5 34”
    ProV1
  • WV-HickWV-Hick Members  433WRX Points: 91Handicap: 4Posts: 433 Greens

The back weight can be removed. There’s only blue loctite on it. And yes, there’s a hole to add hotmelt if you wish. It’s how I did mine.

Posted:
  • shellbmbshellbmb Members  351WRX Points: 127Handicap: 0.0Posts: 351 Greens

I put the shaft I was playing from my M2 into the SIM Max head and the SW was like C9! And this is a good shaft playing at 45.25".

I have not seen any aftermarket weights online yet. Looks like it's hot-melt or lead tape for now. My SIM Max head weighed 195g.

Posted:
    TM Sim 9 XD60 TX.  
    Taylormade M2 15 Kuro Kage DC XM 70 TX
    Titeist 818h2 19 Atmos Blue
    Srixon z785 Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX
    Ping Glide Stealth 54/60
    TM Spider Sightline Face Balanced
  • WV-HickWV-Hick Members  433WRX Points: 91Handicap: 4Posts: 433 Greens

M5 sliding weights will work in place of the Sim weights. Billy Bobs said they’ll have aftermarket weights available within a few weeks.

Posted:
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11594WRX Points: 2,275Posts: 11,594 Titanium Tees

hotmelt or another screw weight is your options here if lead tape is out of the question, you cant add tungsten powder to the head or the shaft.

PS! even if you dont like lead tape its needed for tuning so you can find the weight you should add, DONT navigate by SW values.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

Advertisement
  • pmangpmang Mason City, IowaMembers  424WRX Points: 165Posts: 424 Greens

Hi Howard, I was referring to tungsten "putty" which I use. It is like Silly Putty and very sticky. It is primarily used for Pinewood Derby car weighting but really works great for weighting clubs also. That is why I asked if there is a cavity or room to place a bit in there for SW. Thank you.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* NV 2KXV blue 60 S
    Titleist TS2 15* & 18* FW Tensei AV65 S
    Titleist TS2 4 Hybrid Tensei AV70 S 
    Ping i210 5-UW DG 105 S
    Titleist SM7 54* & 58* 
    Scotty Cameron SS Flowback 5 34”
    ProV1
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11594WRX Points: 2,275Posts: 11,594 Titanium Tees

Sorry, the misunderstanding is all mine, and i dont even know that stuff, but i really dont think it will stick and stay INSIDE of a driver head. The closest option i know about as alternative to hot melt is "Rattle stop" and we can add some tungsten powder to it, but not much, so it depends on how much weight you actually wants to add here. If the thinking for that "putty" was outside, my understanding of the rules for equipment say NO GO, only lead tape , "wig skins" or "decor" is legal as "outside attachment".

A link to Rattle stop in case you did not know about it.

https://www.hirekogolf.com/rattle-stop.html

Posted:

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• zrheisler22zrheisler22 Members  36WRX Points: 38Handicap: 5.3Posts: 36 Bunkers

Does anyone know if the after marker weights that fit the M6 will fit the Sim Max?

Posted:

I never owned an m6, but from what I can tell, the screws are different sizes. Looks like it's lead tape for me for the foreseeable future until aftermarket weights start to show up.

Posted:
    TM Sim 9 XD60 TX.  
    Ping Glide Stealth 54/60
  • wobgonwobgon Members  8021WRX Points: 831Posts: 8,021 Titanium Tees

Anything special need to be done because of the locktight?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 Calgary, ABClubWRX  1162WRX Points: 338Handicap: 6.9Posts: 1,162 ClubWRX

Yes, use a little heat to help loosen the lock-tite. I use an old soldering iron that has the nut to adjust the tip. I press the nut against the screw to heat it up (10-15 seconds once hot), and then loosen the screw

Posted:

**Gamer Bag**
    Driver: Taylormade SIM Max @ 8º (9.5) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S
    Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16.5º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 75S
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 @ 20º w/ Atmos Blue HB TS 8S
    Irons: Miura 4-6 (TC-201), 7-PW (MB-101) w/ Mitsubishi MMT 105TX (ss*1)
    Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º
    Putter: Artisan 0117

**Retro Bag**
    Driver: Ping G LS Tec 9º
    Fairway: Titleist 915F 3W 15º
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 2H 18º
    Irons: Taylormade RAC Forged TP CB 3-PW
    Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 52º; Nike VR Pro Forged Brushed Oxide Raw 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach 1

• GrizpharmGrizpharm ClubWRX  537WRX Points: 84Handicap: 3Posts: 537 ClubWRX

I just blasted it with the torch for about 3 seconds and it came right out.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue w/ Diamana DF 60TX<br />Cobra king Ltd 3 wood w/ tensei pro blue 70s<br />Cobra king utility black<br />Srixon z785 w/ Nippon modus 120s 4-p<br
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9521WRX Points: 3,152Posts: 9,521 Titanium Tees

My weight came out just using a wrench. The screw is smaller than the one to attach to the shaft and my hot melt needle was too large to fit through it so I went through the hosel

Posted:
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members  12131WRX Points: 572Posts: 12,131 Titanium Tees

Same here. FWIW, if you have either of the cartridges that hotmelt.com sells the needle tip fits the opening that the screw occupies in the back. Nice and clean melt job without having a bunch of excess inside the hosel area.

Posted:
    SIM Max 9.0°, Kuro Kage XD 70TX
    Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    SM7 50F, 54S, 58M

PXG Closer Gen 2  
    Tour BXS

So when adding hotmelt to say the Sim Max through the back weight port, would you just lay the driver face down and let the hotmelt flow on the back of the face? Or do you tip it one way or the other to let it flow towards the toe or heel? Or does it matter that much? And do you pre-heat the head in any way? Sorry, never hotmelted before.

Posted:
    TM Sim 9 XD60 TX.  
    Ping Glide Stealth 54/60

Advertisement
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members  12131WRX Points: 572Posts: 12,131 Titanium Tees

Neither had I until I did my driver. You can tilt the head any way you want to let the melt flow, and as long as you preheated the glue properly you should have a decent amount of working time.

I did not preheat my driver head. Others do but I found it unnecessary - if you want a middle ground, have a heat gun or hair dryer handy to apply direct heat to the driver head right after you inject it..

Posted:
    SIM Max 9.0°, Kuro Kage XD 70TX
    Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    SM7 50F, 54S, 58M

PXG Closer Gen 2  
    Tour BXS

• ian-500ian-500 Members  1086WRX Points: 292Handicap: 12Posts: 1,086 Platinum Tees

I'm sure I read somewhere that the screw weight is heavier in the Max and Max D, like 20g compared to 12g in the SIM.......possibly swap between the 2 and test :)

Posted:
    DR: Callaway Rogue SZ 9° + Diamana W60x.
    FW: in the making.
    HY: Callaway Apex19 4h 23° + Tour AD IZ 95x.
    Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
    Wedges: iCleveland RTX3 52/58
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • dave s 316dave s 316 Members  880WRX Points: 62Posts: 880 Golden Tee

I have Max and regular Sim, took both back weights off, both weighed exactly 15 grams

Posted:
  • Taktak9Taktak9 Members  18WRX Points: 45Posts: 18 Bunkers

It’s been few weeks but is there any solution to replace the back weight with a similar screw?

Posted:
  • zam2zam2 Members  45WRX Points: 68Posts: 45 Bunkers

Strange, my SIM have 10g and Max 18g back weights.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM Max 9 GraphiteDesign XC 6S
    TaylorMade M5 FW#3 GraphiteDesign XC 7S
    TaylorMade M3 rescue #3 KBS TourProto 85S
    TaylorMade P750 3-P ProjectX PXi 5.5
    TaylorMade EF Satin 50, HiToe 56 Nippon Modus3 115S
    TaylorMade TP Patina DelMonte 34"
    All clubs GP TourVelvet 0.580 ribbed grips

Advertisement
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5608WRX Points: 523Handicap: 10Posts: 5,608 Titanium Tees

I emailed Billy Bobs golf to see when they will start selling the back weights. No response yet.

BTW, the back weight in my Max D is 8 grams. They must hVe extra weight in the heel.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Gen2 smoke Yellow
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • HedgehogHedgehog EUMembers  543WRX Points: 228Handicap: 5Posts: 543 Golden Tee

Every head is unique, as stated before, some heads need the "slow down epoxy" behind the face and some don't. So there is an easy difference of 3-5grams. Also I think the "shell weight" of the SIM is lighter to begin with since it has 2 weights, 1 fixed in the back and the adjustable in the front.

Posted:
    Taylormade SIM MAX 10,5° HZRDUS Green 70 6.0 / Taylormade M6 15° Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 / Ping G410 Crossover 21°Hzrdus Smoke90 6.0 / Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 105S / Cleveland RTX4 52/56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide Forged 60° DG TI S400 / Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 33,5"Stability Shaft / Titleist ProV1
  • RoycesanRoycesan Members  6WRX Points: 12Posts: 6 Bunkers

@zrheisler22 Did you end up trying the m4/m6 weighted screws? If so, how did it work out?

Posted:
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members  2331WRX Points: 283Posts: 2,331 Platinum Tees

I've hotmelted a few SIM's.

If you want the melt up front just use the sound port in the hosel.

If you want melt in the back, remove the weight and hotmelt through the small hole which just happens to perfectly fit a proper melt gun nozzle.

It's a very easy club to melt.

Posted:
    SIM MAX10.5 (Set to 9.75U) Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff
    M5 15 3 Wood Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 7.3 Stiff
    Bridgestone Tour B 19 Hybrid KBS Proto 85 Stiff
    M1 3i KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 5-PW DG AMT S300
    Taylormade MG 52 S300
    Taylormade MG2 56/8 KBS HiRev 125
    Taylormade Hi Toe 60/10 KBS HiRev 115
    Scotty Cameron TeI Newport 2 Longneck 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

A hair dryer or low temp heat gun & it comes right out.

Whomever said torch it??? WTF????

Posted:
    M1 3i KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Taylormade MG 52 S300
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement

absolutely NOT they are 2 very different weighting systems.

Posted:
    M1 3i KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Taylormade MG 52 S300
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• zrheisler22zrheisler22 Members  36WRX Points: 38Handicap: 5.3Posts: 36 Bunkers

I didn’t, I ended up swapping the Max for the regular and with my gamer shaft/grip the SW came out at D6 so no need to add any weight.

Posted:
  • csiachoscsiachos Members  2009WRX Points: 146Posts: 2,009 Platinum Tees

You can get rat glue, squeeze it onto a pad, drop in however much tungsten powder you want, apply heat with a heat gun to liquify the glue, and mix the tungsten in. Then you can use an instrument like a small spatula to put into the screw hole. Works like a charm

Posted:

Advertisement

NO, before we add hotmelt, both weight needed and position of this weight must be found by trial and error using lead tape.

Lets say we found that 10 grams added toe side in the front was weight and position.

When adding hot melt, we must now find the head position where hotmelt would find its location by "dripping directly to the right spot.

since we want it LOW, we must held the head with sole down, and crown up.

since we want it forward, we must held the head with face down, but not so much so face becomes address, we still want it on the sole, not the face....so moderate face down.

We want it toe side or against fade bias, so to side most be the lowest

THIS HEAD must be hold so face and to side is the lost point, and hosel heel side the highest point, and remember, we want it on the sole, NOT the face

Put the hotmelt gun into the access port, and make sure the planned location is STRAIT DOWN from the needle tip of your hotmelt gun..

Heads where ALL parts is Titanium should be preheated on the location area for hot melt, it makes its more "self distributing" and the effect as sound dampening becomes larger, the larger of a area the hotmelt covers. For FUSION Heads, where some parts is Titanium, other parts Carbonfiber, we should NOT Preheat the head, with out following the same rules as for pull of shafts from fixed hosel Fushion heads, that means cooling gel on the carbonfiber areas and nearby titanium surfaces plus wet towels. Use a SMALL torch on max heat for a short time, concentrated to the location area (move it enough not to make burn marks).

Be ready with a heat proof glove and the hotmelt gun, and the position the head shall be in when hotmelt is added...work fast here, and KNOW your hotmelt gun for trigger vs weight....be prepared to make a sticky mess....if you are pre-paired, you want panic when the sticky mess is a fact....check head weight, add more if needed..dont try to add all at once, its so hard to remove if we overdo it.

Both pure Titanium and Fushion Heads should get a short "re-Heat" on the hot melt location (to make it more fluid to spread out a second time, same rules again, Fushion heads only if we use Cool Gel and wet towels to protect the carbonfiber parts. If part of the SOLE is Carbonfiber - ABSOLUTELY NO PRE OR REHEATING, we can only do that on heads where the Crown is the only Carbonfiber part of the head.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.