What are your favorite drills/feels for lowering ball flight and spin?

I hit the ball pretty darn high with too much spin. What are you favorite drills/feels for delofting the club and shallowing out your angle of attack? Every time I try to shallow the club I seem to flip it even more.

If you guys have any favorite videos and would share, that would be awesome!

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Not sure if it exactly helps with what you’re asking it recently I’ve been doing a drill that forces ball position extremely forward which really gets you to focus on shaft lean/reducing scooping.

https://youtu.be/rwjDrOvUJUII think it might work well for your issue as well as it should promote lower trajectory and delighting the club.

Its amazing how far forward you can put the ball and still hit it.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Here is what worked for me...Stand uncomfortably closer to the ball. Feel like you are practically on top of the ball. You need to feel there is no way you can keep the ball online, then you are close enough. When you are really close to the ball you have no choice but to pivot / rotate correctly or you can't hit it straight. You may have to step down the pace a bit until you can sequence correctly and keep the shot straight. Once you gain confidence with the right speed to hit it straight, you can try to up the speed a bit until you cannot control. From there you will be able to hit low bullets on command. Now you can slowly move the ball away from your stance until you find the trajectory you are looking for.

I've done something similar to this which helped prevent my weight moving towards the ball in the transition.

Another thing I've tried is hinging the hands upright earlier and then getting the trail elbow in front of my body in transition. With the resulting shallower club and closed clubface you have to rotate really hard just to hit the ball.

Buy Monte's "The Efficient Swing" video...pretty much a manual for shallowing the club and a great series. I typically don't like instructional videos a whole lot but his are really good and well worth the cost. Plus if you download the app you can take them with you and watch on the range if you get stuck.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

• 3 weeks later...

I'll set up with more weight on my left foot and keep it there during the swing. Will also try to finish with my hands lower. This tends to promote a low punch draw, so aim accordingly when trying this.

You might also try to alternate your swing plane, making it shallower with a shoulder turn that is more horizontal (think swinging around your body) as opposed to vertical. As with the above, this will promote a right-to-left ball flight, all else being equal, in my experience.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

If I may also add a side caveat, What is Too high? and too much spin, In the beginning of my golfing evolution, EVERYONE told me I hit the ball too high etc etc.... but this was in relation to them. NOT to flight optimization.

Its hard to judge 100ft apex height on TV watching pros and then you hitting your shots, unless you actually go to a fitting. After trying to bring the flight down, by means of shaft changes, by means of getting steep, trying to hit tiger stingers and taking 2 ft divots..... I went to a Trackman fitting just to find out my normal swing was launching the ball about right. I did have a slight AoA issue as well as a swing issue (contact) that caused excess spin, but once we address the swing and the AoA the spin dropped as well as the strike issue that caused the spin and decreased distance and what do you know. The height was fine, got more distance and STILL "hit it higher" than my buddies. But that is their problem not mine. So are you ACTUALLY hitting the ball too high or just to high for someone's expectations and not your own?

In regards to your specific drill question,

1) Par3 150 yards, dead into the wind, I hit my 8iron about 150, Head wind 5-10mph, take an extra club, 7iron and dont do anything special and swing normally. 7iron goes about 165 it will make it to the green. If the wind is stronger you guessed it, take a 6iron.....

2) In Jail in the trees, over hanging, need to get out? 4iron (I love my 4 iron) Setup further back in my stance, I dont come down extra steep but I do intentionally feel a de-loft, turn left and dont release my hands its a worm burner out in the fairway take my medicine and go on my merry way.

3) Off the tee short Par4 Lots of danger, into the wind, play the 4iron middle of stance rather than more forward than I normally do. open my stance just a touch. fuller back swing, turn left, hands very quiet no release just a hold and finish with my club and hand going no further than my shoulder height. My 4 iron normally goes, 225y off the tee, but with this swing I am happy it goes 200y take my medicine, but happy to be in play and I am on my way. I will deal with my second shot when I get there.

ONCE I start adding to much thought to hitting knocked downs. It gets ugly, pull hooks from the over release, too steep duffs or drop kicks. As mention over swinging, adding to much speed thus adding more needless spin that causes ballooning....

Just take 1 extra club or even 2 extra clubs and deal with the next shot. GL OP!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

If you want to hit the ball lower; play the ball back, grip down on the club and make a half swing. To hit a very low punch shot; play the ball back farther, grip down farther on the club, take a half swing. Grip the club with your left thumb on the back of the grip at 9 o'clock. This will prevent the club head from releasing past your hands.

Exactly. Plus people will visually want to stay right side too long with ball back. I teach people to move it up.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I’m hitting my 6 irons with 24* of launch. And spin is around 6k. It’s through the bag. It’s worst with my wedges and longer irons. I’m losing a lot of distance and gapping is tough.
I’m definitely flipping and coming over the top. Thanks for the video @LyinEye , I have a tenancy to get the ball outside and up in my stance.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

My take is OP isn't looking to play a wind shot but is looking to get a better trajectory on all his shots. Got to see a swing to provide any meaningful information.

Best to actually take lessons.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

hey Monte. It’s been a while. I was in your Tacoma class. I was just watching my phone videos of you hitting diving iron over the back fence.

I’m not looking flight my irons for a particular shot. I’m just hitting every club high with a lot of spin. After watching some videos of my swing the club is wide open at P6 so at P7 I’m flipping my nuts off.

I’ve been working on closing the face earlier in the swing and trying to lay the shaft off, but I’m getting even more over the top. Trackman this weekend had me -9 on path on a few shots...

I’m giving up on the full swing for now and just doing your drill of getting super vertical in the back swing, looping it flat, and trying to hit huge slinging draw half shots.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

Really good point in here. There's a way to get better, but sometimes you get better by working with what you got. Unless your flight is obviously ballooning and causing dispersion and distance issues, work with what you got. If you are a high ball hitter, be a high ball hitter. It's probably not as high as you think, just your playing partners hit it much lower than optimal. Maybe its nice to develop a low shot to get under trees out of trouble, but practicing different stock swings is running circles when you could have made progress with your own swing.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Since you have already seen Monte, my info is just a random donkey on the internet at this point.

1) 600rpms of spin for a 6 iron is not bad, +/- 1000 rpms, (SGI/GI's possibly spinning lower around the 5000 ranges) challenging swing mechanics up to 7000rpms but if you are in the 6000rpms range it cant be too bad. as generically speaking 1000rpms per club is a good starting point (i.e. 4iron 4000rpms, 9iron 9000rpms generically speaking)

2) 24* of launch is pretty unreal, LPGA tour players hit their 9iron 24* of launch, PGA players are hitting their PW at 24* So surely have a loft at delivery issue . A drill just to lower you flight as Monte has likely stated does not address the swing mechanic issue that is causing you to "flip" that much. I mean for a 10* swing of loft difference you really must be flipping kind of bad?

Just for fun ran a Trajectory Optimizer

With 111mph ball speed (LPGA 6 iron average) 6500rpms and 24* of launch thats 150 yards total

8TXD8MFJ9YD7.pngPeak height 110 is pretty high but not terrible

127mph Ball speed (PGA 6iron Average)

VOAEJLTIC375.pngPeak height 145.9 is pretty high, but 172 carry.

Lowering the LA to 14*

N57KH52KKCVO.png

Lowering the LA to 14* , 5 yard gain with almost 60 ft difference.

so well.... expectations?......

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"