2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fort Lauderdale Golf Suggestions

Headed to Fort Lauderdale/Weston, FL for a week at the end of the month and plan to play golf at least five times. Any recommendations on courses? Is Doral worth it?

Thanks in advance!

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

The top Broward county public courses are Jacaranda (36 holes) and Plantation Preserve, The next level are Emerald Hills, Eagle Trace, Pembroke Lakes and Deer Creek, with a drop off to the next level.

Just into Palm Beach county is Osprey Point, I would put it right ahead of Plantation Preserve and with Plantation Preserve.

All 4 of the Doral courses are in good shape and are good layouts, but they cost quite a bit. You can probably find the Gold or the Silver on Gold Now for under $200, but you need to add at least $25 for valet and another $20 for tips.

Thanks. I have read good things about Jacaranda and Plantation Preserve. I appreciate the comment. Hopefully I get to play a bunch of these!

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Was down there last May and was able to get 2 rounds in. Went down to Doral and played the silver fox. Might be the hardest course i've played but conditions were amazing. Other round was at Jacaranda west course. Enjoyed this much more and definitely recommend it. I think I got it on tee off or golf now.

Jacaranda West is the better of the two IMO.

The old TPC Eagle Trace (now just Eagle Trace) is an option though conditions can be hit or miss, the layout is still solid.

May be worth heading north a bit, a good muni is North Palm Beach CC, Jack redid the course recently and it’s a good time, this time of year it should be in good shape.

Awesome. Thank you! I was thinking about Coral Springs CC as well.

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Coral Springs CC is a decent course as well. It is a tier below Jacaranda, Plantation Preserve and Osprey Point. I tend to forget about Coral Springs as they were closed for over a year to change the course and build a clubhouse.

Jacaranda East is a little longer and more wide open than the West. I prefer the West, but most of my friend prefer the East course.

Most will consider Jacaranda East the better of the two courses. It's certainly the course more often used as a tournament course. I

I hadn't played the West course in probably 10 years but played it again two years ago and it was surprisingly good. Better than I remembered.

So I would say there's not a whole lot to choose from between Jacarandak east and west but as mentioned the East is typically considered the better/harder more tournament-ready course.

I must say I'm a bit surprised at all the love that Osprey Point is getting. Only played there two or three times and that was five or six years ago. And while I remember it as a really nice track I didn't get the impression that it was that great of course.

But others clearly disagree. LOL

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Well it appears I have plenty of options. Do most of these courses have a driving range/practice area? Want to work on my game too along with playing.

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

I echo the good reviews for Jacaranda. I played there a few years ago. I don’t remember which course I played but the conditions were fantastic. I was in Weston over Christmas/New Years and played Eagle Trace 5 times. It is a Clublink course. My wife and I are members of a Clublink course in Toronto. We had never played Eagle Trace before. About a week before leaving for Weston Clublink sent an email to all members advising that we could play all the Florida Clublink courses for just the cart fee ($25). We couldn’t pass up that bargain. The course was in great condition and it is a wonderful course. The par 3’s are particularly excellent but really challenging. I strongly recommend that you play Eagle Trace. It is about 20 minutes from Weston.

In the for what it’s worth column,

Grand Oaks in Davie, formerly Rolling Hills, is now a private course, but may be worth a phone call. It’s place in golf history is as the place where Caddy Shack was filmed. It has since been redesigned by Raymond Floyd.

I lived for a time in a condo by 17th green and 18th tee box. Sadly, due to overwhelming professional demands at the time, I never made time to play the course.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Geez, I just now noticed you mentioned Weston. Which immediately brought to mind an old PGA tournament course, Bonaventure.

It's probably been at least 20 years since I played there but if the course is in good condition it's a really nice layout.

In the same vein, another I haven't played in quite a while is Colony West, west of Fort Lauderdale. Also an excellent layout but conditions can be iffy.

I'm betting that there are a few posters on this thread that have seen one or both of these courses far more recently than I have. Perhaps they care to comment?

Titleist Pro V1X

Yes, wife and I played Jacaranda West (East is harder course) with rental clubs (very nice brand new Titleist set) and they had 3 foot long lizards all over the place, lol. We thought it was decent, not over the top. The year before we played the Diplomat which was decent? (we were staying in Pembroke Pines and road goes straight to the ocean) but we couldn't find it on Golfnow.com this past summer or on the net and was thinking it went under (I thought that was better than Jacaranda, or at least equivalent).

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

The best place to practice is Osprey Point. They have a nice grass range, very large putting green, and a chipping green with bunkers. I haven't been to Jacaranda or Plantation Preserve in a few years, but they weren't great to practice at then. Both have an adequate range and a putting green. Jacaranda also only had small buckets with 35-40 balls for around $10. Probably worth the drive to Osprey Point if you're looking to do more than just hit a bucket of balls.

Since you're going to be in Weston, you should try Weston Hills. It's a private course, but you can get on through Canam Golf. It's free to join and you can also get a discounted rate at other courses like Eagle Trace, CC of Coral Springs, Jacaranda, Plantation Preserve, Emerald Hills, and Osprey Point.

My wife and I stay in Weston every year over Christmas/New Years. We stay right across the street from the Bonaventure course. FYI-there used to be two courses-east and west. The west course was closed a few years ago and is now a housing development on the land. The east course is not a bad course, but the condition of the course is not close to Jacaranda or Eagle Trace. They had problems with a former course superintendent and the course was in poor shape. The new superintendent has improved the course quite a bit. I don’t think the course has a man-made drainage system. It rained a lot when we were there this year and the course was like a swamp. In contrast, Eagle Trace was almost completely dry despite the rain. It is worth playing (it’s pretty cheap) but not after a rainy day.

Awesome. I am staying on the same road as Bonaventure, it might be the first place I play since it won't be too challenging for my first round outdoors in a couple months!

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Bonaventure hasn't gotten a lot of love. I even heard it considered a "cow pasture." Is that true?

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Been a long time since I was there. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Titleist Pro V1X

Ah, okay. I will probably play it the first day I'm down there as kind of a warm-up round. My first in warm temps, on grass in months lol

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Yeah I am going to try. Which course did you play? Are they pretty much in order in terms of price to quality?

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

We played the red. My girlfriend who was new to golf at the time played with me as well and LOVED it. Obviously the blue was higher on my priority list but with cost and skill level being factors we decided on the red.

Although we did not play the blue it is front and center at the main resort clubhouse so we got to have lunch on the patio and watch groups go off of the first tee etc. The practice green is also connected to the blues first tee which I thought was cool and very unique. Based on everything I could see and having not played every course the conditioning seemed very similar if not identical at all four courses and was some of the best I’ve ever seen.

We probably spent a good 6-7 hours at the resort for our one round including warm ups, checking out the pro shop and club house then late lunch and drinks post round. I would certainly recommend making a day of it. It was also cool to talk with staff there about interactions and protocol with the owner given his current job status! Lol. The production that they have to go through for his visits as well as the guest that he brings along with him are insane! I will say that all of the staff that I talked to from the pros, to bartenders, the range attendants and even the people who keep the geese of the tee boxes (yes they have people for that and I am not to proud to say that if I ever find myself retired in south Florida that might just be where my first job application goes to) all had great stories about the status and pride they had for the club and courses.

long story short. It’s was fun and worth it.

Played Bonaventure a couple of weeks ago. It's in poor shape, especially the greens. They've experienced a lot of Bermuda encroachment and several have only 50% of the surface usable for putting.

The advice about Plantation Preserve, Jac, Pembroke Lakes and Osprey Point are solid. PP, Pembroke Lakes and OP are turfed in Paspalum grass tee to green. It's a beautiful surface, but many players from up north seek short game advice from locals. Looks as good as the bent grass you play in MI, but is often described as green velcro.

Doral will be in excellent shape and the price reflects the maintenance. Blue can be a "bucket list" course, especially if it's breezy.

Deer Creek is always in good shape and is a reasonable layout.

Weston Hills CC has allowed daily play on weekdays during the summer, it could be worth the call. I was a member there a few years ago and know they are heavily recruiting new members.

Another sneaky course is Davie Golf Course, it's love/hate. Plays about 6300 yards with small "fun" greens. For under $50, I take folks there to get a little ego recalibration.

Overall, daily fee golf in Broward has become more limited. The green fee prices this time of year are misleading to conditions. Use Golf Now or even Google search Can-Am Golf. You may be able to get access and a deal. Can-Am is geared towards Canadian Snowbirds, but I think MI is close enough.

Enjoy your trip and spend lots of cash!

John

Awesome. I'm definitely excited to try to make it down there. It seems very reasonable and the weather seems nice so the afternoons will be cheaper so I can spend more cash in the pro shop.. HAHA!I'm very sad to hear about Bonaventure. It is so close to where I'm staying. Do you know if it has a driving range or practice area at least?

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

Sweet, since it so close that will be nice. Does Weston Hills have one? I'm sure it's much nicer.

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS